|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the narrator consider his funeral speech a failure?
(a) He hadn't been able to talk about political issues.
(b) He had too little to say to the youth.
(c) He didn't think about singing the song before the old black man started it
(d) He hadn't been able to inspire the crowd to fight.
2. Why was Brother Tarp on a chain gang?
(a) Because he had betrayed his people
(b) Because he had lied to white people
(c) Because he had dared to say the word no.
(d) Because he had betrayed his white master
3. When is a person most invisible?
(a) When he simply accepts the rule of the group
(b) When his social group decides to ignore him.
(c) When he refuses to mingle with the group
(d) When he exists outside of history
4. What does Westrum use as evidence that the narrator is only trying to promote himself?
(a) The chain on the narrator's desk
(b) The repeated meetings with Hambro
(c) The article in a magazine that resulted from a personal interview with the narrator
(d) The narrator's refusal to conduct business the way Westrum wanted it.
5. What does Brother Tarp give the narrator in Chapter 18?
(a) a warning
(b) a key to handcuffs
(c) a secret message
(d) a piece of the chain he once wore
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is true about the narrator's position within the Brotherhood?
2. Upon the narrator's return to Harlem, he learns which of the following individuals has disappeared from the Brotherhood?
3. What awakens the narrator in Chapter 15?
4. What object does Mary own that the narrator finds offensive?
5. What assumption does Mary make regarding the source of the $100 given to her by the narrator?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)