|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when the narrator wears the sunglasses?
(a) The bartender kicks him out for possession of a knife
(b) People think is is Brother Maceo
(c) People cannot identify him
(d) People think he is Rinehart
2. Why is Brother Westrum opposed to the piece of chain on the narrator's desk?
(a) Because it symbolically denies the possibility of equality
(b) Because it shows difference instead of unity
(c) Because it shows a tendency to cling to the past
(d) Because it is a reminder of slavery
3. How does the narrator react to the dolls that are being sold by Clifton?
(a) He spits on one of the dolls
(b) He purchases a doll
(c) He calls the police
(d) He laughs at the dolls
4. What truth about the Brotherhood does the narrator realize in Chapter 20?
(a) That their efforts are unappreciated
(b) That great strides have already been made
(c) That very little has been accomplished
(d) That the Brotherhood is about to disappear
5. How does the Brotherhood regard the dolls Clifton had been selling?
(a) as ridiculous and overpriced
(b) as a racial slur
(c) as an unauthorized act of independence
(d) as a personal hobby that the narrator should have ignored
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator wants Clifton's funeral to focus on which of the following?
2. Whose words does the narrator contemplate as proof that he can have two identities and still be successful?
3. Although the narrator may not realize it, he is searching for
4. The narrator wants to learn everything he can about the Brotherhood in order to
5. Why does the narrator try to hide the figurine from Mary?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Brother Jack defend the narrator at this point?
2. Why is the narrator's funeral oration more moving than if he had planned a speech based according to party guidelines?
3. How does Emma's conversation create a sense of foreboding?
4. Describe one of the roles played by Rinehart.
5. How does the narrator really feel about the gift of the chain from Brother Tarp?
6. What is the primary problem with the instructions given to the narrator to gather more members?
7. What is meant by "white fever"?
8. The narrator says that he has learned that the lack of surprise is a warning. What does he mean?
9. Explain the irony of the figurine owned by Mary.
10. Why is the narrator's work on the "woman question" cut short?
This section contains 1,073 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)