|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the woman says the narrator's voice is "primitive," she actually intends the statement as
(a) a gesture of seduction
(b) an insult
(c) a word of advice
(d) a compliment
2. When has the narrator made most of his mistakes?
(a) When he tried to follow other people's plans
(b) When he has failed to follow orders
(c) When he has stepped away from the ruling group
(d) When he has questioned other people's motives
3. Who does the narrator plan to use to destroy the Brotherhood
(b) Mr. Emerson
(c) Mr. Hambro
(d) Jack himself
4. The narrator's anger is primarily focuses against
(b) Mr. Norton
(c) The Founder
(d) Dr. Bledsoe
5. What truth is revealed about the Brotherhood in Chapter 22?
(a) That they care nothing about the people
(b) That they have no real purpose
(c) That their goal is to use black politics to further their own interests
(d) That they are really only interested in black people
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the yams symbolize?
2. Although the narrator may not realize it, he is searching for
3. What apparent warning meets the narrator upon his return to Harlem
4. What does the narrator discover about Jack?
5. Why does the narrator try to hide the figurine from Mary?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe one of the roles played by Rinehart.
2. What is the significance of the black thread that controls the dancing doll?
3. Explain the irony of the figurine owned by Mary.
4. What is the primary problem with the instructions given to the narrator to gather more members?
5. To what does Brother Tarp attribute the warning letter?
6. What was the narrator's real problem, and how has he settled it?
7. Why does Brother Jack defend the narrator at this point?
8. What strikes the narrator as the profound truth about the riot?
9. What epiphany has the narrator experienced regarding his race?
10. Why does the lady on the street become angry when he tries to put the figurine in the trash can?
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)