|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator wants to learn everything he can about the Brotherhood in order to
(a) Use it to restore those who have been dispossessed
(b) Use it to create equality for black people
(c) Use it as a means to get even with Bledsoe
(d) Use it to achieve power for himself
2. How does the audience react to the narrator's speech?
(a) He is booed
(b) He is cheered
(c) They get up and leave.
(d) They sit in stunned silence
3. In Chapter 14, why is Mary cooking cabbage?
(a) It's all she can afford
(b) She thinks it will please the narrator.
(c) The narrator has asked for it.
(d) It's a reminder of the south
4. The narrator has learned that a person must approach the world with
(a) subtlety and reserve
(b) intelligence and ingenuity
(c) Both love and hate
(d) determination and courage
5. Who is Rinehart?
(a) a gambler
(b) A mysterious man with many roles
(c) a runner
(d) a preacher
Short Answer Questions
1. What truth does the narrator discover about Brother Jack?
2. What is happening in Harlem?
3. Why does the narrator go to the white woman's apartment in Chapter 19?
4. What is it that people like Jack, Bledsoe and Norton have refused to do?
5. What vision comes to the narrator's mind when he sees the elderly couple being evicted?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Dupre and his men choose a particular building to burn?
2. Why is the narrator's work on the "woman question" cut short?
3. Explain why the "woman question" is typical of the Brotherhood's approach to issues.
4. Why is Ras' anger ironic?
5. The narrator says that he has learned that the lack of surprise is a warning. What does he mean?
6. Why is the narrator's funeral oration more moving than if he had planned a speech based according to party guidelines?
7. Describe one of the roles played by Rinehart.
8. How does the narrator really feel about the gift of the chain from Brother Tarp?
9. In what way could the new shoes be symbolic?
10. Why does Brother Jack defend the narrator at this point?
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)