|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the narrator's preparations for the evening with Sybil ironic?
(a) Sybil would be useless to him.
(b) The evening would be a disaster anyway
(c) He tries to copy Rinehart whom he has never actually seen.
(d) Sybil had already made her own preparations
2. To what does Ras the Exhorter primarily object?
(a) The idea of a black man speaking out for white people
(b) Clifton's methods of leading the youth
(c) The narrator's street corner approach
(d) The mixing of black and white
3. What does Brother Tarp give the narrator in Chapter 18?
(a) a key to handcuffs
(b) a warning
(c) a piece of the chain he once wore
(d) a secret message
4. What is in the narrator's briefcase?
(a) his cash
(b) a white hat
(c) his green spectacles
(d) Mary's bank
5. In Chapter 14, why is Mary cooking cabbage?
(a) She thinks it will please the narrator.
(b) It's a reminder of the south
(c) It's all she can afford
(d) The narrator has asked for it.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what animal does the narrator compare Brother Jack?
2. What does Dupre want to do prior to starting the fire?
3. Through his experiences, what has the narrator learned to value?
4. Who is Rinehart?
5. Why is Brother Westrum opposed to the piece of chain on the narrator's desk?
Short Essay Questions
1. What epiphany has the narrator experienced regarding his race?
2. The narrator says that he has learned that the lack of surprise is a warning. What does he mean?
3. How do we know at this point that the lobotomy has not been completely successful in changing the narrator's personality?
4. What was the narrator's real problem, and how has he settled it?
5. Identify several mistakes that the narrator makes in his first assigned speech in Harlem.
6. What is the significance of the black thread that controls the dancing doll?
7. Describe one of the roles played by Rinehart.
8. Explain the irony of the figurine owned by Mary.
9. Why does Jack become angry with the man who asks the narrator to sing a "spiritual"?
10. Why does the lady on the street become angry when he tries to put the figurine in the trash can?
This section contains 1,081 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)