|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the unnamed man at the party ask the narrator to do?
(a) give a speech
(b) sign a commitment
(c) sing a spiritual
2. How does the narrator's meeting with Sybil backfire?
(a) She has no clue regarding the political purpose of the Brotherhood
(b) She is planning to tell Jack about his actions
(c) He pretends he is trying to seduce her, but she doesn't resist.
(d) She wants to help him, but expects to share in his success
3. What do the yams symbolize?
(a) The narrator's future
(b) The narrator's ability to please himself
(c) The narrator's past
(d) The purity of the old south
4. Of what do the men in the bar in Chapter 20 accuse the narrator?
(a) of betraying the Brotherhood
(b) Of getting White Fever
(c) of neglecting his duties
(d) of forgetting his
5. What does Brother Tod Clifton do?
(a) He is a minister
(b) He is a fanatic ideologies who teaches newcomers.
(c) lead the youth of the Brotherhood
(d) He is a black nationalist
Short Answer Questions
1. After whom does the narrator say he wants to pattern himself?
2. What does the narrator discover when he gets to the woman's apartment?
3. What is ironic about the narrator's dance with Emma?
4. What does Brother Tarp give the narrator in Chapter 18?
5. How does the Brotherhood regard Clifton?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Dupre and his men choose a particular building to burn?
2. Why is Ras' anger ironic?
3. Brother Jack refers to Clifton as Brutus? How does the metaphor fit the situation?
4. Identify several mistakes that the narrator makes in his first assigned speech in Harlem.
5. What does Brother Jack really want the narrator to avoid doing?
6. Why does Brother Jack defend the narrator at this point?
7. What is the significance of the black thread that controls the dancing doll?
8. Why is the narrator's work on the "woman question" cut short?
9. The narrator says that he has learned that the lack of surprise is a warning. What does he mean?
10. Explain the irony of the figurine owned by Mary.
This section contains 1,034 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)