|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The concept of the character as invisible is symbolic of which of the following conditions?
(a) The character has deliberately denied his true place in society.
(b) There are so many people like the hero that no one notices them.
(c) Whites are morally blind to the checks and balances imposed on the African Americans.
(d) The character does not understand the truth of his situation.
2. Where does Bledsoe tell the narrator to go?
(a) to Mr. Norton
(b) back to the dormatory
(c) back to the Golden Day for the name of the doctor
(d) New York
3. What does the cord in chapter 11 symbolize?
4. How does the vet react when Mr. Norton tries to explain his interest in the college?
(a) The vet accuses Mr. Norton of ulterior motives.
(b) The vet mocks Mr. Norton.
(c) The vet accuses Mr. Norton of deception.
(d) The vet praises Mr. Norton.
5. What does Mr. Norton give to Trueblood?
(a) A lecture on morality
(b) A hundred dollar bill
(c) A bottle of whiskey
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator's pondering of his upcoming punishment is an example of what literary device?
2. What does the moon symbolize?
3. What makes the narrator homesick when he first gets to New York?
4. Dr. Bledsoe is preoccupied with what?
5. Where was the novel written?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the setting in chapter 5 provide additional foreshadowing?
2. What does the narrator notice while waiting for his appointment with the trustees?
3. Why does the drug store have the pork chop and grits special?
4. What is the objective of Rev. Barbee's sermon?
5. Of what "irresponsibility" are sleepwalkers and dreamers accused?
6. To what kind of action has music called the narrator?
7. What does the narrator expect from his visit with Mr. Bates?
8. What does Dr. Bledsoe mean by "acting the nigger."
9. What does Ellison mean by "benign neglect"?
10. What final action does the hospital take to ensure the narrator's silence?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)