|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the vet want the narrator to hear his story?
(a) So the narrator will return to the Golden Day
(b) So the narrator will persuade Mr. Norton to give a donation
(c) So the narrator will not become another casualty
(d) So the narrator will take up the cause of the vets
2. What makes the narrator homesick when he first gets to New York?
(a) the sight of other black people
(b) a Gideon Bible
(c) a message from Mr. Norton
(d) the letters he carries
3. When the narrator goes to see Mr. Emerson, who does he actually see?
(a) Mr. Emerson's secretary
(b) Mr. Emerson's assistant
(c) Mr. Emerson's son
(d) an unnamed individual
4. What procedure is performed on the narrator?
(a) both castration and a lobotomy
(c) a prefrontal lobotomy
(d) mind control implants
5. According to the vet, who controls "things"?
(a) white people
(b) white, upper-class males
(c) rich people
(d) black people
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator have difficulty getting along on his first two jobs?
2. Bledsoe tells the narrator that he should not worry about
3. According to Ellison, for what have African Americans historically had to fight?
4. The image of the slave owners bidding for a naked girl is
5. How does Mr. Norton explain the day's events?
Short Essay Questions
1. What mistake does the veteran doctor predict the narrator will make?
2. What does Dr. Bledsoe mean by "acting the nigger."
3. What final action does the hospital take to ensure the narrator's silence?
4. Why is important to know that the introduction was written 30 years after the novel itself?
5. Why does the drug store have the pork chop and grits special?
6. Of what "irresponsibility" are sleepwalkers and dreamers accused?
7. Describe Dr. Bledsoe.
8. What does the veteran at the Golden Day understand that the narrator does not?
9. What is the objective of Rev. Barbee's sermon?
10. What does Ellison mean by "benign neglect"?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)