|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator's grandfather regard his own meekness?
(a) He considers himself a coward.
(b) He is proud of his choices.
(c) He considers himself a traitor.
(d) He considers himself a victim
2. Of what does the vet accuse Mr. Norton?
(a) Of failing to accomplish his mission for the college
(b) Of practicing racial prejudice
(c) Of treating the blacks like impersonal conquests
(d) Of treating the blacks unfairly
3. What is the narrator afraid of losing?
(a) His scholarship
(b) His job.
(c) The respect Mr. Bledsoe has for him.
(d) His identity
4. What was the topic of the narrator's graduation day speech?
(d) Racial pride
5. What is the narrator's explanation for taking Mr. Norton to the Golden Day?
(a) He thought he could get medical help there
(b) The car was out of gas.
(c) Mr. Norton ordered him to go there
(d) Mr. Norton was driving
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the narrator find himself in chapter 11?
2. What had Mr. Trueblood done prior to his disgrace?
3. According to Ellison, which of the following is true during times of war?
4. Why is the narrator offended by the man behind the drugstore counter?
5. Bledsoe tells the narrator that he should not worry about
Short Essay Questions
1. How was the narrator's graduation speech a betrayal of black people?
2. What mistake does the veteran doctor predict the narrator will make?
3. How does the setting in chapter 5 provide additional foreshadowing?
4. What does Mary Rambo want the narrator to do?
5. What does Dr. Bledsoe mean by "acting the nigger."
6. Why do the grandfather's dying words make the narrator feel guilty about receiving praise?
7. What does Ellison mean when he says that for African Americans, all wars are "wars within wars."
8. How has the narrator ended up in the factory hospital? How is he being treated once he gets there?
9. What final action does the hospital take to ensure the narrator's silence?
10. Why does the narrator say he is invisible?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)