|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is ironic about the narrator's dance with Emma?
(a) She is the first white woman he ever danced with.
(b) The veteran doctor had predicted that the narrator would dance with a white woman.
(c) He had at first refused the offer to dance with her.
(d) He is the only black man she dances with at the party.
2. What is in the narrator's briefcase?
(a) a white hat
(b) his green spectacles
(c) Mary's bank
(d) his cash
3. Through his experiences, what has the narrator learned to value?
4. What kind of day is it on the day of Clifton's funeral?
(a) Cold and rainy
(b) Hot and humid
(c) Cold and windy
(d) warm and exhilarating
5. What does the narrator purchase after the confrontation with Ras?
(a) a low brimmed hat
(b) a weapon
(c) a long jacket
(d) a pair of dark green sunglasses
6. What does Dupre want to do prior to starting the fire?
(a) contact the newspapers
(b) Make sure the building is evacuated
(c) give people a chance to get their belongings
(d) have the fire department standing by
7. How does the audience react to the narrator's speech?
(a) They sit in stunned silence
(b) He is booed
(c) They get up and leave.
(d) He is cheered
8. What time of day does Brother Jack meet the narrator in the beginning of Chapter 17
(a) early in the morning
(d) 5:00 PM
9. What does the figurine symbolize?
10. What is it that people like Jack, Bledsoe and Norton have refused to do?
(a) Recognize the American identity of all of her people
(b) Recognize equality among all individuals
(c) Recognize the uncontrollable power of a group
(d) Recognize the importance of each individual
11. Of what do the men in the bar in Chapter 20 accuse the narrator?
(a) of neglecting his duties
(b) Of getting White Fever
(c) of betraying the Brotherhood
(d) of forgetting his
12. What is the narrator accused of when he tries to dispose of the figurine?
(d) drug dealing
13. How does the narrator's meeting with Sybil backfire?
(a) She has no clue regarding the political purpose of the Brotherhood
(b) He pretends he is trying to seduce her, but she doesn't resist.
(c) She wants to help him, but expects to share in his success
(d) She is planning to tell Jack about his actions
14. What does the narrator discover when he gets to the woman's apartment?
(a) the woman is single
(b) Her husband is away
(c) her husband is dead
(d) the woman is divorced
15. How does the narrator plan to overcome the white men of the Brotherhood?
(a) by parting company with them
(b) by helping his own group take over the leadership positions
(c) by appearing to agree with them
(d) by standing up to them
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator consider his funeral speech a failure?
2. Why was Brother Tarp on a chain gang?
3. In Chapter 14, why is Mary cooking cabbage?
4. Brother Jack wants the narrator to avoid underestimating what?
5. Why does the narrator go to the white woman's apartment in Chapter 19?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)