|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator spontaneously decide to buy?
(a) a new suit
(b) a newspaper in hopes that it will explain recent events
(c) a black dancing doll
(d) a pair of new shoes
2. Why does the narrator try to hide the figurine from Mary?
(a) Because he is trying to steal it
(b) Because he thinks it is unworthy of her
(c) Because he wants to take it to the Brotherhood
(d) Because he has broken it
3. What apparent warning meets the narrator upon his return to Harlem
(a) breaking glass
(b) falling bird droppings
(c) sounds of distant shouting
(d) The red light on the church spire
4. What is happening in Harlem?
(a) The community is in a riot
(b) The Brotherhood has taken over.
(c) The people have burned down the district office
(d) The police have taken over.
5. What awakens the narrator in Chapter 15?
(a) The sound of people talking.
(b) Someone pounding at the door.
(c) The smell of breakfast cooking.
(d) People banging on the steam line because there is no heat.
6. Why is the narrator unable to say much about Clifton?
(a) The Brotherhood had limited his topics
(b) Too much about Clifton was negative
(c) He really didn't know much about him
(d) He had been given too little time for the speech
7. How does the narrator react to the dolls that are being sold by Clifton?
(a) He laughs at the dolls
(b) He calls the police
(c) He spits on one of the dolls
(d) He purchases a doll
8. When has the narrator made most of his mistakes?
(a) When he has failed to follow orders
(b) When he tried to follow other people's plans
(c) When he has stepped away from the ruling group
(d) When he has questioned other people's motives
9. What does Westrum use as evidence that the narrator is only trying to promote himself?
(a) The chain on the narrator's desk
(b) The article in a magazine that resulted from a personal interview with the narrator
(c) The repeated meetings with Hambro
(d) The narrator's refusal to conduct business the way Westrum wanted it.
10. Who had predicted the narrator's relationship with the white woman?
(a) The veteran doctor at the Golden Day
(b) Brother Jack
(c) Brother Hambro
(d) Dr. Bledsoe
11. Although the narrator may not realize it, he is searching for
12. What does Brother Tarp give the narrator in Chapter 18?
(a) a secret message
(b) a piece of the chain he once wore
(c) a warning
(d) a key to handcuffs
13. How does the Brotherhood regard the dolls Clifton had been selling?
(a) as an unauthorized act of independence
(b) as a racial slur
(c) as a personal hobby that the narrator should have ignored
(d) as ridiculous and overpriced
14. What does the narrator purchase after the confrontation with Ras?
(a) a pair of dark green sunglasses
(b) a low brimmed hat
(c) a long jacket
(d) a weapon
15. Through his experiences, what has the narrator learned to value?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the symbolic association of the arena in Chapter 16?
2. Why does the narrator consider his funeral speech a failure?
3. Where does Brother Jack send the narrator at the end of the meeting?
4. What time of day does Brother Jack meet the narrator in the beginning of Chapter 17
5. What do the yams symbolize?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)