Short Answer Key
1. Where was the novel written?
2. According to Ellison, which of the following is true during times of war?
African American soldiers and white soldiers are equal.
3. Ellison's original story was written about which of the following?
An African American pilot
4. According to Ellison, for what have African Americans historically had to fight?
The right to fight
5. The concept of the character as invisible is symbolic of which of the following conditions?
Whites are morally blind to the checks and balances imposed on the African Americans.
6. Ellison's primary struggle in writing the book was
Giving the hero sufficient depth of character
7. What revelation does the "Tom Show" provide for Ellison?
It shows him that history is a part of the present
8. Which of the following two concepts, in combination, does Ellison see as a "raft of hope."
This section contains 2,824 words|
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)