|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 25.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ellison's primary struggle in writing the book was
(a) Giving the hero sufficient depth of character
(b) Allowing the hero to fail
(c) Finding a way for the hero to succeed.
(d) Accepting the concept that nothing could really be done to change society
2. How does the narrator excuse his lack of responsibility?
(a) Responsibility cannot happen without recognition
(b) No one has ever given him responsibility
(c) Because he is invisible, he doesn't know what responsibility to take
(d) The downtrodden should not be expected to assume responsibility
3. According to Ellison, for what have African Americans historically had to fight?
(a) The right to fight
(b) The right for fair employment
(c) Their freedoms
(d) The right for education
4. Where does the road in the college town ultimately lead?
(a) To a mental institution
(b) To the college
(c) To a chapel
(d) To a statue
5. How is the narrator's preparations for the evening with Sybil ironic?
(a) He tries to copy Rinehart whom he has never actually seen.
(b) The evening would be a disaster anyway
(c) Sybil had already made her own preparations
(d) Sybil would be useless to him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Norton explain the day's events?
2. What kind of speeches has the narrator given from the stage in the chapel?
3. What is most unusual about the narrator's residence?
4. Why was Brother Tarp on a chain gang?
5. What does the narrator notice at the funeral that he would like to exploit?
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)