|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the narrator dump slush on a man's head?
(a) The man insulted him.
(b) The man greeted him with hostility.
(c) He thinks the man is Bledsoe.
(d) The man was preaching nonsense.
2. Why does Mr. Bledsoe compose his face into a bland mask?
(a) He doesn't want Mr. Norton to know he is angry with the narrator.
(b) He wants to see Mr. Norton's reaction before revealing his own feelings.
(c) He wants to hide the fact that he is angry with Mr. Norton.
(d) He doesn't want the narrator to realize how upset he is.
3. How do the boys react to the naked girl?
(a) They are embarrassed.
(b) They become angry.
(c) They are amused
(d) They are fascinated.
4. What kind of speeches has the narrator given from the stage in the chapel?
(a) Genuine speeches that expressed how he felt.
(b) Speeches that flattered the whites.
(c) Speeches that expressed his frustration in cultural symbolism.
(d) Phony speeches with notes supplied by white men.
5. Ellison's original story was written about which of the following?
(a) A slave
(b) An African American author
(c) A sharecropper
(d) An African American pilot
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the road in the college town ultimately lead?
2. What is the narrator's explanation for taking Mr. Norton to the Golden Day?
3. Although the narrator may not realize it, he is searching for
4. What is Trueblood's explanation of the rape of his daughter?
5. Whose words does the narrator contemplate as proof that he can have two identities and still be successful?
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)