|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Ellison, for what have African Americans historically had to fight?
(a) The right for education
(b) The right for fair employment
(c) Their freedoms
(d) The right to fight
2. How does Mr. Norton explain the day's events?
(a) He has no explanation.
(b) He claims the narrator took advantage of his (Norton's) illness
(c) He says the trip was the narrator's idea.
(d) He says the narrator was not responsible.
3. What makes the narrator homesick when he first gets to New York?
(a) a message from Mr. Norton
(b) the sight of other black people
(c) the letters he carries
(d) a Gideon Bible
4. What does the narrator discuss with the woman in his dream?
5. What is ironic about the narrator's dance with Emma?
(a) He had at first refused the offer to dance with her.
(b) She is the first white woman he ever danced with.
(c) He is the only black man she dances with at the party.
(d) The veteran doctor had predicted that the narrator would dance with a white woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time of day does Brother Jack meet the narrator in the beginning of Chapter 17
2. What is the real purpose of the Reverend's speech?
3. What does the doctor mean when he says they "picked poor robin clean"?
4. What is Trueblood's explanation of the rape of his daughter?
5. What was the topic of the narrator's graduation day speech?
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)