|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the narrator have difficulty getting along on his first two jobs?
(a) He doesn't understand or fit in the blue-collar/union world
(b) He is the only black person on the job
(c) He is not correctly educated for the job
(d) He is too highly educated for the job
2. What two groups of people must pay the price for being irresponsible?
(a) idealists and cowards
(b) sleepwalkers and dreamers
(c) lazy people and cowards
(d) dreamer and cowards
3. What does the unnamed man at the party ask the narrator to do?
(b) sign a commitment
(c) sing a spiritual
(d) give a speech
4. What awakens the narrator in Chapter 15?
(a) The smell of breakfast cooking.
(b) The sound of people talking.
(c) Someone pounding at the door.
(d) People banging on the steam line because there is no heat.
5. What group of society is represented by the white men at the Battle Royal?
(a) Educators (professors, scientists)
(b) Middle upper class (supervisors, lawyers, bankers, etc)
(c) Leaders (governors, politicians)
(d) Lower class (poor white men)
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator see as he is watching people leave the chapel?
2. Ellison's original story was written about which of the following?
3. What is ironic about Trueblood's situation?
4. What is the narrator accused of when he tries to dispose of the figurine?
5. What is the symbolic association of the arena in Chapter 16?
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)