|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is ironic about the narrator's dance with Emma?
(a) The veteran doctor had predicted that the narrator would dance with a white woman.
(b) She is the first white woman he ever danced with.
(c) He had at first refused the offer to dance with her.
(d) He is the only black man she dances with at the party.
2. Of what does the vet accuse Mr. Norton?
(a) Of treating the blacks unfairly
(b) Of failing to accomplish his mission for the college
(c) Of practicing racial prejudice
(d) Of treating the blacks like impersonal conquests
3. What two groups of people must pay the price for being irresponsible?
(a) idealists and cowards
(b) dreamer and cowards
(c) sleepwalkers and dreamers
(d) lazy people and cowards
4. What does the narrator feel was his primary fault 20 years earlier?
(a) He was easily confused.
(b) He was cowardly.
(c) He was too bold.
(d) He was naive.
5. The main conflict of Ellison's original story revolves around
(a) problems associated with war
(b) national poverty
(d) racial tension
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator's need to give speeches is an example of what literary device?
2. The image of the slave owners bidding for a naked girl is
3. What does Brother Tod Clifton do?
4. What does Dr. Bledsoe call the narrator?
5. What does the narrator see as he is watching people leave the chapel?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)