|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the symbolic association of the arena in Chapter 16?
(a) a crooked politician had been exposed
(b) a famous black speaker was killed there
(c) a famous boxer lost his sight
(d) people of both colors gather there
2. Ellison's original story was written about which of the following?
(a) A slave
(b) An African American pilot
(c) An African American author
(d) A sharecropper
3. The narrator wants to learn everything he can about the Brotherhood in order to
(a) Use it to create equality for black people
(b) Use it to restore those who have been dispossessed
(c) Use it to achieve power for himself
(d) Use it as a means to get even with Bledsoe
4. How does the narrator regard Mr. Bledsoe?
(a) As a role model.
(b) As an enemy
(c) As an unpredictable element
(d) As a protector
5. Why does the narrator run after making his speech on behalf of the elderly couple?
(a) He sees the police coming and thinks they are after him.
(b) A white girl tells him to run, and he obeys even though he isn't exactly sure why.
(c) He thinks the crowd is after him.
(d) He doesn't want to be confronted for making a speech.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the man in Emerson's office imply after reading the letter given him by the narrator?
2. What is the narrator's explanation for taking Mr. Norton to the Golden Day?
3. Where does the narrator find himself in chapter 11?
4. What does the doctor mean when he says they "picked poor robin clean"?
5. Why is Brockway hostile toward the narrator?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)