|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator credit for his "call to action"?
(a) the girl in his dream
(b) his vision
2. Why is the narrator offended by the man behind the drugstore counter?
(a) The man wants to see his money before serving him.
(b) The man assumes will order the special of pork chops, grits, one egg, biscuits, and coffee.
(c) The man overcharges him.
(d) The man does not give him what he orders.
3. What group of society is represented by the white men at the Battle Royal?
(a) Leaders (governors, politicians)
(b) Middle upper class (supervisors, lawyers, bankers, etc)
(c) Educators (professors, scientists)
(d) Lower class (poor white men)
4. What is the narrator afraid of losing?
(a) The respect Mr. Bledsoe has for him.
(b) His scholarship
(c) His job.
(d) His identity
5. The concept of the character as invisible is symbolic of which of the following conditions?
(a) The character does not understand the truth of his situation.
(b) There are so many people like the hero that no one notices them.
(c) Whites are morally blind to the checks and balances imposed on the African Americans.
(d) The character has deliberately denied his true place in society.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the road in the college town ultimately lead?
2. Why does the vet want the narrator to hear his story?
3. Which of the following two concepts, in combination, does Ellison see as a "raft of hope."
4. What is the narrator's explanation for taking Mr. Norton to the Golden Day?
5. What does the narrator fear is the reason for his inability to get an appointment with the trustees?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)