|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the man in Emerson's office imply after reading the letter given him by the narrator?
(a) That Mr. Emerson is the wrong person to help the narrator.
(b) That the narrator wrote the letters himself
(c) That that narrator has already seen Mr. Emerson.
(d) That the narrator is in fact someone else.
2. Which of the following represents the narrator's philosophy?
(a) The light reveals all things
(b) The light reveals the truth
(c) Truth is destined to come forth
(d) The truth is the light and the light is the truth
3. What was the topic of the narrator's graduation day speech?
(c) Racial pride
4. What group of society is represented by the white men at the Battle Royal?
(a) Educators (professors, scientists)
(b) Lower class (poor white men)
(c) Middle upper class (supervisors, lawyers, bankers, etc)
(d) Leaders (governors, politicians)
5. What truth does the vet tell to the narrator that the narrator does not yet understand?
(a) That he should not be afraid of white men
(b) That he is invisible
(c) That he is doomed to failure
(d) That the white men are trying to destroy him
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator notice about the whites in the city?
2. When was the introduction of the novel written?
3. Which of the following two concepts, in combination, does Ellison see as a "raft of hope."
4. The concept of the character as invisible is symbolic of which of the following conditions?
5. In chapter 9, the narrator walks a short distance with another man. What is the man doing besides singing?
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)