|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of speeches has the narrator given from the stage in the chapel?
(a) Speeches that expressed his frustration in cultural symbolism.
(b) Speeches that flattered the whites.
(c) Phony speeches with notes supplied by white men.
(d) Genuine speeches that expressed how he felt.
2. The narrator's pondering of his upcoming punishment is an example of what literary device?
3. What do some of the black men carry?
(a) pouches strapped to their wrists
(d) brief cases
4. What is the vet's final advice to the narrator?
(a) Defy people like Norton
(b) Find ways to manipulate people like Norton
(c) Stay away from people like Mr. Norton
(d) Watch for opportunities to get close to people like Norton
5. In chapter 9, the narrator walks a short distance with another man. What is the man doing besides singing?
(a) leading a dog
(c) Carrying blueprints
(d) carrying a suitcase
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator credit for his "call to action"?
2. When the narrator goes to see Mr. Emerson, who does he actually see?
3. Who else is on the bus to New York?
4. What was the topic of the narrator's graduation day speech?
5. According to Ellison, for what have African Americans historically had to fight?
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)