|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mr. Brockway, what happened when the company tried to replace him?
(a) The union went to bat for him.
(b) The other workers went on strike
(c) No one else would take the job
(d) All the paint went bad
2. Where does the road in the college town ultimately lead?
(a) To a statue
(b) To a chapel
(c) To the college
(d) To a mental institution
3. What makes the narrator homesick when he first gets to New York?
(a) a Gideon Bible
(b) the letters he carries
(c) a message from Mr. Norton
(d) the sight of other black people
4. What group of society is represented by the white men at the Battle Royal?
(a) Educators (professors, scientists)
(b) Lower class (poor white men)
(c) Middle upper class (supervisors, lawyers, bankers, etc)
(d) Leaders (governors, politicians)
5. What does the moon symbolize?
(a) Intellectual vision that is defective
(b) An eye that sees only what it chooses.
(c) The eye of God
(d) The vision of those in power.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 9, the narrator walks a short distance with another man. What is the man doing besides singing?
2. What is the narrator's explanation for taking Mr. Norton to the Golden Day?
3. According to Ellison, for what have African Americans historically had to fight?
4. What, ironically, makes the narrator's white bosses distrustful of him?
5. What revelation does the "Tom Show" provide for Ellison?
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)