|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the real purpose of the Reverend's speech?
(a) To help the students understand how important the college is to the black community.
(b) To indoctrinate the students regarding the religion of the college.
(c) To help the students appreciate the Founder's real sacrifice
(d) To create a sense of awe in relation to Dr. Bledsoe
2. According to Reverend Barbee, why does Dr. Bledsoe enjoy a position of apparent power?
(a) The Founder and Bledsoe were related.
(b) The Founder told Reverend Barbee that Bledsoe deserved the position.
(c) The Founder, with his dying breath, asked Bledsoe to continue in his leadership
(d) Dr. Bledsoe had performed favors for the Founder.
3. Who else is on the bus to New York?
(a) Mr. Trueblood
(b) the veteran doctor
(c) another student
(d) no one
4. How does the narrator regard Mr. Bledsoe?
(a) As an unpredictable element
(b) As a role model.
(c) As an enemy
(d) As a protector
5. What group of society is represented by the white men at the Battle Royal?
(a) Middle upper class (supervisors, lawyers, bankers, etc)
(b) Leaders (governors, politicians)
(c) Educators (professors, scientists)
(d) Lower class (poor white men)
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator get past the drunken vet in the road?
2. Why does Mr. Bledsoe compose his face into a bland mask?
3. Bledsoe tells the narrator that he should not worry about
4. Why is the narrator initially concerned about finding work as soon as possible?
5. What does the narrator fear is the reason for his inability to get an appointment with the trustees?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)