|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the narrator initially concerned about finding work as soon as possible?
(a) He hopes to save enough money for his fall tuition.
(b) He is concerned about being able to buy food.
(c) He is afraid he will run out of money for rent.
(d) He does not want to appear broke if he has to ask for credit for his room rent.
2. How does the vet react when Mr. Norton tries to explain his interest in the college?
(a) The vet accuses Mr. Norton of ulterior motives.
(b) The vet mocks Mr. Norton.
(c) The vet praises Mr. Norton.
(d) The vet accuses Mr. Norton of deception.
3. According to Ellison, for what have African Americans historically had to fight?
(a) The right to fight
(b) Their freedoms
(c) The right for fair employment
(d) The right for education
4. What group of society is represented by the white men at the Battle Royal?
(a) Lower class (poor white men)
(b) Leaders (governors, politicians)
(c) Educators (professors, scientists)
(d) Middle upper class (supervisors, lawyers, bankers, etc)
5. Why is the narrator unable to see Mr. Bates?
(a) The secretary will not admit him.
(b) Mr. Bates is too busy to be seen.
(c) There are no jobs in Mr. Bates' department
(d) Mr. Bates is not in.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dr. Bledsoe is preoccupied with what?
2. How does the narrator get past the drunken vet in the road?
3. What does the moon symbolize?
4. What two groups of people must pay the price for being irresponsible?
5. Why does the vet want the narrator to hear his story?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)