|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What truth does the vet tell to the narrator that the narrator does not yet understand?
(a) That he is doomed to failure
(b) That he should not be afraid of white men
(c) That the white men are trying to destroy him
(d) That he is invisible
2. How does the narrator get past the drunken vet in the road?
(a) He pays the vet a bribe.
(b) He tells him he has General Pershing in the car.
(c) He pretends he is about to run over the vet.
(d) He claims to be someone of importance.
3. What does Trueblood's story suggest about the white men at the jail house?
(a) They secretly enjoyed hearing his story.
(b) They didn't believe his story.
(c) They were horrified by his story and tried to get him to move.
(d) They were angry and kept him in town as an example of how not to behave.
4. What is most unusual about the narrator's residence?
(a) It is filled with over 1300 light bulbs
(b) It is in a basement
(c) It is a white apartment house
(d) It is free
5. The dark tunnel is symbolic of the narrator's
(a) lack of understanding about culture and society as a whole
(b) invisible nature in relation to white people
(c) lack of knowledge about himself
(d) unwillingness to face the truth
Short Answer Questions
1. What revelation does the "Tom Show" provide for Ellison?
2. What does the narrator feel was his primary fault 20 years earlier?
3. The concept of the character as invisible is symbolic of which of the following conditions?
4. What kind of speeches has the narrator given from the stage in the chapel?
5. The narrator's pondering of his upcoming punishment is an example of what literary device?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)