|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the vet want the narrator to hear his story?
(a) So the narrator will not become another casualty
(b) So the narrator will take up the cause of the vets
(c) So the narrator will return to the Golden Day
(d) So the narrator will persuade Mr. Norton to give a donation
2. The image of the slave owners bidding for a naked girl is
(a) a picture the narrator had seen in a book
(b) a vison induced by marijuana
(c) something the narrator recalls from his childhood
(d) something that happened to the narrator's father
3. Ellison's primary struggle in writing the book was
(a) Finding a way for the hero to succeed.
(b) Giving the hero sufficient depth of character
(c) Accepting the concept that nothing could really be done to change society
(d) Allowing the hero to fail
4. What is most unusual about the narrator's residence?
(a) It is free
(b) It is filled with over 1300 light bulbs
(c) It is a white apartment house
(d) It is in a basement
5. What is Trueblood's explanation of the rape of his daughter?
(a) His daughter dliberately seduced him.
(b) His wife forced him into it.
(c) He acted in a dream and didn't know what he was doing.
(d) He confused his wife with his daughter because they were all in the same bed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following two concepts, in combination, does Ellison see as a "raft of hope."
2. What truth does the vet tell to the narrator that the narrator does not yet understand?
3. Of what does the vet accuse Mr. Norton?
4. The dark tunnel is symbolic of the narrator's
5. What does the moon symbolize?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)