|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the narrator's invisibility related to his residence?
(a) The white residents simply ignore him.
(b) He lives in a building for whites and uses their electricity because they cannot conceive of his presence.
(c) He is able to come and go without being noticed.
(d) The whites allow him to stay there because they consider him unimportant.
2. When was the introduction of the novel written?
(a) Before the text of the story
(b) Sporadically during the writing of the story
(c) Immediately after finishing the story.
(d) 30 years after the text itself
3. How does the narrator get past the drunken vet in the road?
(a) He claims to be someone of importance.
(b) He pays the vet a bribe.
(c) He tells him he has General Pershing in the car.
(d) He pretends he is about to run over the vet.
4. What does the narrator credit for his "call to action"?
(a) the girl in his dream
(c) his vision
5. According to Ellison, for what have African Americans historically had to fight?
(a) The right for fair employment
(b) The right to fight
(c) Their freedoms
(d) The right for education
Short Answer Questions
1. What is most unusual about the narrator's residence?
2. How do the boys react to the naked girl?
3. What is ironic about Trueblood's situation?
4. Of what does the vet accuse Mr. Norton?
5. What group of society is represented by the white men at the Battle Royal?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)