|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the narrator get invited to participate in the Battle Royal?
(a) He happened to be at the hotel to give a speech to white men.
(b) He thought it was part of the award.
(c) He volunteered because it looked interesting.
(d) The people who arranged the speech planned to include him.
2. How does the vet react when Mr. Norton tries to explain his interest in the college?
(a) The vet mocks Mr. Norton.
(b) The vet praises Mr. Norton.
(c) The vet accuses Mr. Norton of ulterior motives.
(d) The vet accuses Mr. Norton of deception.
3. What does the narrator recall having been given instead of a cigarette?
(a) a cigar
(d) a beating
4. How does the narrator excuse his lack of responsibility?
(a) The downtrodden should not be expected to assume responsibility
(b) Responsibility cannot happen without recognition
(c) No one has ever given him responsibility
(d) Because he is invisible, he doesn't know what responsibility to take
5. Why does the vet want the narrator to hear his story?
(a) So the narrator will return to the Golden Day
(b) So the narrator will take up the cause of the vets
(c) So the narrator will not become another casualty
(d) So the narrator will persuade Mr. Norton to give a donation
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Ellison, for what have African Americans historically had to fight?
2. The veteran doctor claims to have been beaten for what?
3. Ellison's primary struggle in writing the book was
4. How does the narrator regard Mr. Bledsoe?
5. When was the introduction of the novel written?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)