|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The main conflict of Ellison's original story revolves around
(a) racial tension
(c) problems associated with war
(d) national poverty
2. What is Trueblood's explanation of the rape of his daughter?
(a) His daughter dliberately seduced him.
(b) He acted in a dream and didn't know what he was doing.
(c) His wife forced him into it.
(d) He confused his wife with his daughter because they were all in the same bed.
3. Where was the novel written?
(c) New York
4. Ellison himself was a member of which branch of the military?
(b) Merchant Marines
5. Ellison's primary struggle in writing the book was
(a) Allowing the hero to fail
(b) Finding a way for the hero to succeed.
(c) Giving the hero sufficient depth of character
(d) Accepting the concept that nothing could really be done to change society
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the introduction of the novel written?
2. What does the narrator feel was his primary fault 20 years earlier?
3. According to Ellison, for what have African Americans historically had to fight?
4. How is the narrator's invisibility related to his residence?
5. The dark tunnel is symbolic of the narrator's
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)