|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Ellison, which of the following is true during times of war?
(a) African American soldiers have greater stature than white soldiers
(b) African American soldiers and white soldiers are equal.
(c) African American soldiers are considered heros by other nationalities
(d) African American soldiers are valued less than white soldiers.
2. How do the boys react to the naked girl?
(a) They are fascinated.
(b) They are amused
(c) They are embarrassed.
(d) They become angry.
3. The concept of the character as invisible is symbolic of which of the following conditions?
(a) The character has deliberately denied his true place in society.
(b) The character does not understand the truth of his situation.
(c) There are so many people like the hero that no one notices them.
(d) Whites are morally blind to the checks and balances imposed on the African Americans.
4. Ellison's original story was written about which of the following?
(a) An African American author
(b) A slave
(c) A sharecropper
(d) An African American pilot
5. How is the narrator's invisibility related to his residence?
(a) He is able to come and go without being noticed.
(b) He lives in a building for whites and uses their electricity because they cannot conceive of his presence.
(c) The white residents simply ignore him.
(d) The whites allow him to stay there because they consider him unimportant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following two concepts, in combination, does Ellison see as a "raft of hope."
2. How does the narrator excuse his lack of responsibility?
3. What does the narrator recall having been given instead of a cigarette?
4. The image of the slave owners bidding for a naked girl is
5. Which of the following represents the narrator's philosophy?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)