|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Ellison, which of the following is important for perseverance?
2. The main conflict of Ellison's original story revolves around
(b) national poverty
(c) racial tension
(d) problems associated with war
3. How does the narrator excuse his lack of responsibility?
(a) No one has ever given him responsibility
(b) Responsibility cannot happen without recognition
(c) Because he is invisible, he doesn't know what responsibility to take
(d) The downtrodden should not be expected to assume responsibility
4. What revelation does the "Tom Show" provide for Ellison?
(a) It convinces him that history cannot be changed.
(b) It convinces him that history will be repeated
(c) It shows him that history is a part of the present
(d) It reveals the futility of fighting agains the majority.
5. How did the narrator get invited to participate in the Battle Royal?
(a) The people who arranged the speech planned to include him.
(b) He happened to be at the hotel to give a speech to white men.
(c) He thought it was part of the award.
(d) He volunteered because it looked interesting.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the novel written?
2. The dark tunnel is symbolic of the narrator's
3. What is most unusual about the narrator's residence?
4. What does the narrator credit for his "call to action"?
5. Ellison himself was a member of which branch of the military?
This section contains 278 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)