|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ellison himself was a member of which branch of the military?
(b) Merchant Marines
2. What does the narrator credit for his "call to action"?
(a) the girl in his dream
(c) his vision
3. The concept of the character as invisible is symbolic of which of the following conditions?
(a) The character does not understand the truth of his situation.
(b) There are so many people like the hero that no one notices them.
(c) Whites are morally blind to the checks and balances imposed on the African Americans.
(d) The character has deliberately denied his true place in society.
4. What two groups of people must pay the price for being irresponsible?
(a) lazy people and cowards
(b) sleepwalkers and dreamers
(c) idealists and cowards
(d) dreamer and cowards
5. What had Mr. Trueblood done prior to his disgrace?
(a) He was an employee of the college.
(b) He had been involved in tutoring the black students.
(c) He was a guest lecturer
(d) He was a special singer at the college.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ellison's primary struggle in writing the book was
2. Which of the following two concepts, in combination, does Ellison see as a "raft of hope."
3. What does the narrator recall having been given instead of a cigarette?
4. What is most unusual about the narrator's residence?
5. How does the narrator excuse his lack of responsibility?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)