|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator credit for his "call to action"?
(b) the girl in his dream
(c) his vision
2. How does the narrator excuse his lack of responsibility?
(a) Because he is invisible, he doesn't know what responsibility to take
(b) Responsibility cannot happen without recognition
(c) No one has ever given him responsibility
(d) The downtrodden should not be expected to assume responsibility
3. What had Mr. Trueblood done prior to his disgrace?
(a) He had been involved in tutoring the black students.
(b) He was a special singer at the college.
(c) He was an employee of the college.
(d) He was a guest lecturer
4. Ellison's original story was written about which of the following?
(a) An African American author
(b) A slave
(c) A sharecropper
(d) An African American pilot
5. How did the narrator get invited to participate in the Battle Royal?
(a) He volunteered because it looked interesting.
(b) The people who arranged the speech planned to include him.
(c) He happened to be at the hotel to give a speech to white men.
(d) He thought it was part of the award.
Short Answer Questions
1. The concept of the character as invisible is symbolic of which of the following conditions?
2. When was the introduction of the novel written?
3. What two groups of people must pay the price for being irresponsible?
4. Which of the following two concepts, in combination, does Ellison see as a "raft of hope."
5. What is most unusual about the narrator's residence?
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)