|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the narrator get invited to participate in the Battle Royal?
(a) He happened to be at the hotel to give a speech to white men.
(b) He volunteered because it looked interesting.
(c) He thought it was part of the award.
(d) The people who arranged the speech planned to include him.
2. The concept of the character as invisible is symbolic of which of the following conditions?
(a) The character does not understand the truth of his situation.
(b) Whites are morally blind to the checks and balances imposed on the African Americans.
(c) The character has deliberately denied his true place in society.
(d) There are so many people like the hero that no one notices them.
3. The dark tunnel is symbolic of the narrator's
(a) lack of knowledge about himself
(b) lack of understanding about culture and society as a whole
(c) unwillingness to face the truth
(d) invisible nature in relation to white people
4. According to Ellison, for what have African Americans historically had to fight?
(a) The right for fair employment
(b) The right to fight
(c) The right for education
(d) Their freedoms
5. What had Mr. Trueblood done prior to his disgrace?
(a) He was a special singer at the college.
(b) He was a guest lecturer
(c) He had been involved in tutoring the black students.
(d) He was an employee of the college.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ellison himself was a member of which branch of the military?
2. What two groups of people must pay the price for being irresponsible?
3. What does Mr. Norton give to Trueblood?
4. What group of society is represented by the white men at the Battle Royal?
5. What would the narrator like to add to his "hole"?
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)