|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator considers himself an invisible man because ____________________.
(a) people don't understand him
(b) people subconsciously ignore him
(c) people can't see him
(d) people refuse to see him with their inner eyes
2. Ellison's primary struggle in writing the book was
(a) Accepting the concept that nothing could really be done to change society
(b) Allowing the hero to fail
(c) Finding a way for the hero to succeed.
(d) Giving the hero sufficient depth of character
3. What revelation does the "Tom Show" provide for Ellison?
(a) It convinces him that history will be repeated
(b) It convinces him that history cannot be changed.
(c) It shows him that history is a part of the present
(d) It reveals the futility of fighting agains the majority.
4. How is the narrator's invisibility related to his residence?
(a) The white residents simply ignore him.
(b) He lives in a building for whites and uses their electricity because they cannot conceive of his presence.
(c) The whites allow him to stay there because they consider him unimportant.
(d) He is able to come and go without being noticed.
5. What was the topic of the narrator's graduation day speech?
(a) Racial pride
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator's grandfather regard his own meekness?
2. What does the narrator recall having been given instead of a cigarette?
3. What does the narrator discuss with the woman in his dream?
4. Which of the following represents the narrator's philosophy?
5. What does the narrator credit for his "call to action"?
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)