|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ellison's primary struggle in writing the book was
(a) Accepting the concept that nothing could really be done to change society
(b) Giving the hero sufficient depth of character
(c) Finding a way for the hero to succeed.
(d) Allowing the hero to fail
2. Which of the following represents the narrator's philosophy?
(a) The truth is the light and the light is the truth
(b) The light reveals the truth
(c) The light reveals all things
(d) Truth is destined to come forth
3. When was the introduction of the novel written?
(a) Before the text of the story
(b) Immediately after finishing the story.
(c) 30 years after the text itself
(d) Sporadically during the writing of the story
4. According to Ellison, which of the following is true during times of war?
(a) African American soldiers are considered heros by other nationalities
(b) African American soldiers have greater stature than white soldiers
(c) African American soldiers are valued less than white soldiers.
(d) African American soldiers and white soldiers are equal.
5. What does Mr. Norton give to Trueblood?
(a) A lecture on morality
(c) A bottle of whiskey
(d) A hundred dollar bill
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the novel written?
2. What does the narrator credit for his "call to action"?
3. How does the narrator excuse his lack of responsibility?
4. What two groups of people must pay the price for being irresponsible?
5. What does the narrator feel was his primary fault 20 years earlier?
This section contains 294 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)