|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following two concepts, in combination, does Ellison see as a "raft of hope."
(a) compassion and equality
(b) art and democracy
(c) equality and art
(d) democracy and truth
2. The main conflict of Ellison's original story revolves around
(a) problems associated with war
(b) national poverty
(d) racial tension
3. What revelation does the "Tom Show" provide for Ellison?
(a) It reveals the futility of fighting agains the majority.
(b) It convinces him that history will be repeated
(c) It convinces him that history cannot be changed.
(d) It shows him that history is a part of the present
4. What does Trueblood's story suggest about the white men at the jail house?
(a) They were horrified by his story and tried to get him to move.
(b) They didn't believe his story.
(c) They were angry and kept him in town as an example of how not to behave.
(d) They secretly enjoyed hearing his story.
5. What is the narrator afraid of losing?
(a) His identity
(b) His job.
(c) The respect Mr. Bledsoe has for him.
(d) His scholarship
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following represents the narrator's philosophy?
2. According to Reverend Barbee, why does Dr. Bledsoe enjoy a position of apparent power?
3. Ellison's original story was written about which of the following?
4. What does Dr. Bledsoe call the narrator?
5. Why is the narrator initially concerned about finding work as soon as possible?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)