|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What revelation does the "Tom Show" provide for Ellison?
(a) It convinces him that history will be repeated
(b) It reveals the futility of fighting agains the majority.
(c) It convinces him that history cannot be changed.
(d) It shows him that history is a part of the present
2. Which of the following two concepts, in combination, does Ellison see as a "raft of hope."
(a) compassion and equality
(b) art and democracy
(c) democracy and truth
(d) equality and art
3. Ellison's primary struggle in writing the book was
(a) Accepting the concept that nothing could really be done to change society
(b) Finding a way for the hero to succeed.
(c) Allowing the hero to fail
(d) Giving the hero sufficient depth of character
4. What was the topic of the narrator's graduation day speech?
(a) Racial pride
5. How does the narrator get past the drunken vet in the road?
(a) He tells him he has General Pershing in the car.
(b) He pays the vet a bribe.
(c) He pretends he is about to run over the vet.
(d) He claims to be someone of importance.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is most unusual about the narrator's residence?
2. What is the narrator afraid of losing?
3. Ellison's original story was written about which of the following?
4. Why does the Reverend Barbee trip over Dr. Bledsoe?
5. What does Dr. Bledsoe call the narrator?
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)