Eight Week Quiz B
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ellison's primary struggle in writing the book was
(a) Allowing the hero to fail
(b) Accepting the concept that nothing could really be done to change society
(c) Finding a way for the hero to succeed.
(d) Giving the hero sufficient depth of character
2. What is the real purpose of the Reverend's speech?
(a) To help the students understand how important the college is to the black community.
(b) To indoctrinate the students regarding the religion of the college.
(c) To help the students appreciate the Founder's real sacrifice
(d) To create a sense of awe in relation to Dr. Bledsoe
3. The concept of the character as invisible is symbolic of which of the following conditions?
(a) There are so many people like the hero that no one notices them.
(b) Whites are morally blind to the checks and balances imposed on the African Americans.
(c) The character does not understand the truth of his situation.
(d) The character has deliberately denied his true place in society.
4. The dark tunnel is symbolic of the narrator's
(a) invisible nature in relation to white people
(b) lack of understanding about culture and society as a whole
(c) lack of knowledge about himself
(d) unwillingness to face the truth
5. How did the narrator get invited to participate in the Battle Royal?
(a) He thought it was part of the award.
(b) The people who arranged the speech planned to include him.
(c) He happened to be at the hotel to give a speech to white men.
(d) He volunteered because it looked interesting.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Ellison, which of the following is important for perseverance?
2. What does Trueblood's story suggest about the white men at the jail house?
3. According to Ellison, which of the following is true during times of war?
4. How does the narrator get past the drunken vet in the road?
5. Why does Mr. Bledsoe compose his face into a bland mask?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)