|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 22.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the woman says the narrator's voice is "primitive," she actually intends the statement as
(a) a compliment
(b) a word of advice
(c) an insult
(d) a gesture of seduction
2. What does the narrator lack in Chapter 12?
(a) motivation to keep going
(b) money to live on
(c) his interest in returning to college
(d) A sense of direction
3. How does the Brotherhood regard the dolls Clifton had been selling?
(a) as an unauthorized act of independence
(b) as a racial slur
(c) as a personal hobby that the narrator should have ignored
(d) as ridiculous and overpriced
4. What does Trueblood's story suggest about the white men at the jail house?
(a) They were angry and kept him in town as an example of how not to behave.
(b) They were horrified by his story and tried to get him to move.
(c) They didn't believe his story.
(d) They secretly enjoyed hearing his story.
5. The narrator wants to learn everything he can about the Brotherhood in order to
(a) Use it to restore those who have been dispossessed
(b) Use it as a means to get even with Bledsoe
(c) Use it to create equality for black people
(d) Use it to achieve power for himself
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the narrator unable to see Mr. Bates?
2. In addition to his memories, what else has the narrator lost?
3. In Chapter 14, why is Mary cooking cabbage?
4. Brother Jack wants the narrator to avoid underestimating what?
5. What is the symbolic association of the arena in Chapter 16?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)