|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the narrator unable to see Mr. Bates?
(a) Mr. Bates is too busy to be seen.
(b) There are no jobs in Mr. Bates' department
(c) Mr. Bates is not in.
(d) The secretary will not admit him.
2. According to Reverend Barbee, why does Dr. Bledsoe enjoy a position of apparent power?
(a) The Founder and Bledsoe were related.
(b) The Founder, with his dying breath, asked Bledsoe to continue in his leadership
(c) The Founder told Reverend Barbee that Bledsoe deserved the position.
(d) Dr. Bledsoe had performed favors for the Founder.
3. How does the narrator describe the students as they enter the chapel?
(a) They enter with dread and hesitation.
(b) They enter with the love a captured people has for their conquerors.
(c) They enter the chapel with resentment and fear.
(d) They enter the chapel joyfully.
4. What does the doctor mean when he says they "picked poor robin clean"?
(a) They have taken all the narrator's money.
(b) They have completely destroyed the narrator's memories
(c) They have damaged the narrator's personality
(d) They have eliminated any possibility of getting a job.
5. What does Trueblood's story suggest about the white men at the jail house?
(a) They secretly enjoyed hearing his story.
(b) They were angry and kept him in town as an example of how not to behave.
(c) They didn't believe his story.
(d) They were horrified by his story and tried to get him to move.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes the narrator homesick when he first gets to New York?
2. What does the cord in chapter 11 symbolize?
3. What does the narrator fear is the reason for his inability to get an appointment with the trustees?
4. What is the real purpose of the Reverend's speech?
5. What does Mr. Norton give to Trueblood?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)