|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 19.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the Reverend Barbee trip over Dr. Bledsoe?
(a) Dr. Bledsoe forgets to pull his legs back
(b) Reverend Barbee isn't watching where he is going.
(c) Someone distracts Reverend Barbee
(d) Reverend Barbee is blind.
2. What kind of speeches has the narrator given from the stage in the chapel?
(a) Genuine speeches that expressed how he felt.
(b) Phony speeches with notes supplied by white men.
(c) Speeches that flattered the whites.
(d) Speeches that expressed his frustration in cultural symbolism.
3. The narrator's need to give speeches is an example of what literary device?
(b) audio imagery
4. What does the moon symbolize?
(a) Intellectual vision that is defective
(b) The vision of those in power.
(c) The eye of God
(d) An eye that sees only what it chooses.
5. Why does the narrator dump slush on a man's head?
(a) The man greeted him with hostility.
(b) The man was preaching nonsense.
(c) He thinks the man is Bledsoe.
(d) The man insulted him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator want to do in Chapter 12?
2. Upon the narrator's return to Harlem, he learns which of the following individuals has disappeared from the Brotherhood?
3. According to Reverend Barbee, why does Dr. Bledsoe enjoy a position of apparent power?
4. Why does Mary Rambo want to take the narrator home?
5. How does the narrator describe the students as they enter the chapel?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)