|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 19.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the real purpose of the Reverend's speech?
(a) To indoctrinate the students regarding the religion of the college.
(b) To help the students understand how important the college is to the black community.
(c) To help the students appreciate the Founder's real sacrifice
(d) To create a sense of awe in relation to Dr. Bledsoe
2. Why does the narrator dump slush on a man's head?
(a) The man insulted him.
(b) He thinks the man is Bledsoe.
(c) The man greeted him with hostility.
(d) The man was preaching nonsense.
3. What does the narrator lack in Chapter 12?
(a) motivation to keep going
(b) A sense of direction
(c) his interest in returning to college
(d) money to live on
4. What kind of speeches has the narrator given from the stage in the chapel?
(a) Speeches that expressed his frustration in cultural symbolism.
(b) Phony speeches with notes supplied by white men.
(c) Genuine speeches that expressed how he felt.
(d) Speeches that flattered the whites.
5. Why does the narrator go to the white woman's apartment in Chapter 19?
(a) to seduce her
(b) because she has seduced him
(c) to meet her husband
(d) to discuss ideologies
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Reverend Barbee, why does Dr. Bledsoe enjoy a position of apparent power?
2. What does the moon symbolize?
3. Upon the narrator's return to Harlem, he learns which of the following individuals has disappeared from the Brotherhood?
4. Who had predicted the narrator's relationship with the white woman?
5. Why does Mary Rambo want to take the narrator home?
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)