|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 19.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the real purpose of the Reverend's speech?
(a) To create a sense of awe in relation to Dr. Bledsoe
(b) To help the students understand how important the college is to the black community.
(c) To help the students appreciate the Founder's real sacrifice
(d) To indoctrinate the students regarding the religion of the college.
2. When the woman says the narrator's voice is "primitive," she actually intends the statement as
(a) a gesture of seduction
(b) a word of advice
(c) a compliment
(d) an insult
3. Why does the narrator dump slush on a man's head?
(a) The man was preaching nonsense.
(b) He thinks the man is Bledsoe.
(c) The man greeted him with hostility.
(d) The man insulted him.
4. According to Reverend Barbee, why does Dr. Bledsoe enjoy a position of apparent power?
(a) The Founder and Bledsoe were related.
(b) The Founder, with his dying breath, asked Bledsoe to continue in his leadership
(c) The Founder told Reverend Barbee that Bledsoe deserved the position.
(d) Dr. Bledsoe had performed favors for the Founder.
5. What does the narrator want to do in Chapter 12?
(a) make speeches
(b) marry Mary Rambo
(c) spend time alone
(d) get a new job
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Reverend Barbee trip over Dr. Bledsoe?
2. What does the moon symbolize?
3. How does the narrator describe the students as they enter the chapel?
4. Why does the narrator go to the white woman's apartment in Chapter 19?
5. The narrator's need to give speeches is an example of what literary device?
This section contains 332 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)