|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 19.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the real purpose of the Reverend's speech?
(a) To help the students appreciate the Founder's real sacrifice
(b) To help the students understand how important the college is to the black community.
(c) To indoctrinate the students regarding the religion of the college.
(d) To create a sense of awe in relation to Dr. Bledsoe
2. According to Reverend Barbee, why does Dr. Bledsoe enjoy a position of apparent power?
(a) Dr. Bledsoe had performed favors for the Founder.
(b) The Founder and Bledsoe were related.
(c) The Founder told Reverend Barbee that Bledsoe deserved the position.
(d) The Founder, with his dying breath, asked Bledsoe to continue in his leadership
3. What does the moon symbolize?
(a) The vision of those in power.
(b) Intellectual vision that is defective
(c) An eye that sees only what it chooses.
(d) The eye of God
4. What does the narrator lack in Chapter 12?
(a) motivation to keep going
(b) A sense of direction
(c) money to live on
(d) his interest in returning to college
5. Who had predicted the narrator's relationship with the white woman?
(a) The veteran doctor at the Golden Day
(b) Brother Jack
(c) Brother Hambro
(d) Dr. Bledsoe
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mary Rambo want to take the narrator home?
2. When the woman says the narrator's voice is "primitive," she actually intends the statement as
3. What kind of speeches has the narrator given from the stage in the chapel?
4. The narrator's need to give speeches is an example of what literary device?
5. In spite of losing his identity, what does the narrator retain?
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)