|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 19.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the narrator go to the white woman's apartment in Chapter 19?
(a) to meet her husband
(b) because she has seduced him
(c) to discuss ideologies
(d) to seduce her
2. Upon the narrator's return to Harlem, he learns which of the following individuals has disappeared from the Brotherhood?
(a) Brother Clifton
(b) Brother Hambro
(c) Brother Jack
(d) Brother Westrum
3. What does the narrator want to do in Chapter 12?
(a) spend time alone
(b) make speeches
(c) marry Mary Rambo
(d) get a new job
4. What is the real purpose of the Reverend's speech?
(a) To help the students appreciate the Founder's real sacrifice
(b) To help the students understand how important the college is to the black community.
(c) To create a sense of awe in relation to Dr. Bledsoe
(d) To indoctrinate the students regarding the religion of the college.
5. What makes the narrator think that his night with the white woman was a trap?
(a) Other women seem to want to
(b) He dimly remembers the appearance of another man
(c) The woman does not want him to return
(d) The Brotherhood is mysteriously silent regarding his activities
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Reverend Barbee, why does Dr. Bledsoe enjoy a position of apparent power?
2. The narrator's need to give speeches is an example of what literary device?
3. In spite of losing his identity, what does the narrator retain?
4. Who had predicted the narrator's relationship with the white woman?
5. What kind of speeches has the narrator given from the stage in the chapel?
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)