|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 19.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the narrator dump slush on a man's head?
(a) The man was preaching nonsense.
(b) The man greeted him with hostility.
(c) The man insulted him.
(d) He thinks the man is Bledsoe.
2. When the woman says the narrator's voice is "primitive," she actually intends the statement as
(a) a compliment
(b) an insult
(c) a gesture of seduction
(d) a word of advice
3. In spite of losing his identity, what does the narrator retain?
(a) an urgency to find a job
(b) a desire for revenge
(c) the memory of Mr. Norton
(d) his naive outlook on life
4. What makes the narrator think that his night with the white woman was a trap?
(a) Other women seem to want to
(b) The Brotherhood is mysteriously silent regarding his activities
(c) The woman does not want him to return
(d) He dimly remembers the appearance of another man
5. Who had predicted the narrator's relationship with the white woman?
(a) Dr. Bledsoe
(b) Brother Jack
(c) The veteran doctor at the Golden Day
(d) Brother Hambro
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Reverend Barbee, why does Dr. Bledsoe enjoy a position of apparent power?
2. What does the moon symbolize?
3. The narrator's need to give speeches is an example of what literary device?
4. How does the narrator describe the students as they enter the chapel?
5. Upon the narrator's return to Harlem, he learns which of the following individuals has disappeared from the Brotherhood?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)