One Week Quiz A
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 19.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of speeches has the narrator given from the stage in the chapel?
(a) Speeches that expressed his frustration in cultural symbolism.
(b) Genuine speeches that expressed how he felt.
(c) Speeches that flattered the whites.
(d) Phony speeches with notes supplied by white men.
2. Upon the narrator's return to Harlem, he learns which of the following individuals has disappeared from the Brotherhood?
(a) Brother Westrum
(b) Brother Clifton
(c) Brother Hambro
(d) Brother Jack
3. When the woman says the narrator's voice is "primitive," she actually intends the statement as
(a) a compliment
(b) a gesture of seduction
(c) an insult
(d) a word of advice
4. What is the real purpose of the Reverend's speech?
(a) To help the students appreciate the Founder's real sacrifice
(b) To help the students understand how important the college is to the black community.
(c) To indoctrinate the students regarding the religion of the college.
(d) To create a sense of awe in relation to Dr. Bledsoe
5. What does the moon symbolize?
(a) Intellectual vision that is defective
(b) The vision of those in power.
(c) The eye of God
(d) An eye that sees only what it chooses.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Reverend Barbee, why does Dr. Bledsoe enjoy a position of apparent power?
2. In spite of losing his identity, what does the narrator retain?
3. How does the narrator describe the students as they enter the chapel?
4. What makes the narrator think that his night with the white woman was a trap?
5. The narrator's need to give speeches is an example of what literary device?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)