|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What dance does Shannon want to do in the glass elevator?
2. What autobiography has Brandy become obsessed with?
3. Why is the group going to Seattle?
4. What is Shannon's family nickname?
5. What does Brandy's father feed his pigs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Shannon prefer to think of her brother as dead?
2. What story does Brandy tell the border policemen to try to get them back into the USA?
3. Before her accident, what does Shannon do for a living?
4. What is Seth's theory about television?
5. What philosophy does Brandy Alexander have that Shannon finds attractive?
6. Why have Brandy and her comrades come to the open house?
7. What does the narrator warn the reader about the novel's structure?
8. What article of clothing does Brandy suggest Shannon wear?
9. What has Shannon told her parents, instead of telling them about the accident?
10. Why does Manus have pornography magazines around his apartment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to Brandy, Shannon is not responsible for the way she acts. We are all products of products of products, and have no real choice in whom we become. How is this idea reflected in the novel? Has Brandy broken out of this cycle or does she consider herself a part of it? How has Shannon attempted to break outside of herself? By the end of the novel, has she accomplished her goals? Why or why not? Be sure to include textual evidence in your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Shannon's final act is to give Brandy her identity. Why does Shannon choose to do this? What does this action mean for Shannon? What does this action mean for Brandy? Why does Shannon, after the huge adventure she has just had with her brother, need to leave him and never look back? How does the idea of an invisible monster drive her to this point? Why has Shane chosen to look exactly like Shannon in his new life? Do either of these characters find redemption?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Shannon and Brandy. How are they alike? How are they different? What paths have they taken in the quest for true originality? How could their shared childhood have sent them in such different directions? Do they come to peace with one another in the end of the novel? Why or why not? Why did Brandy choose to deceive Shannon for so long? Be sure to use examples from the text in your arguments.
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)