|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Shannon asked to do before Brandy's death?
2. How is Shane's face disfigured?
3. What piece of jewelry does SIster Katherine wear?
4. What is Signore Alfa Romeo's main asset?
5. What kind of pet does Evie have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What accident does Shane have when he was fifteen?
2. What does the narrator warn the reader about the novel's structure?
3. While watching television in the hospital, what infomercial does Shannon see?
4. What secret does Shannon write on her postcard at the Space Needle?
5. What is the one thing Shannon has wanted to be asked?
6. What is Brandy's final request to Shannon before she dies?
7. Why have Brandy and her comrades come to the open house?
8. How does Shannon describe the basic idea of modeling?
9. Why does Shannon feel she is in competition with Brandy and Evie in the first scene?
10. Why does Brandy introduce Shannon to veils?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Shannon and Brandy. How are they alike? How are they different? What paths have they taken in the quest for true originality? How could their shared childhood have sent them in such different directions? Do they come to peace with one another in the end of the novel? Why or why not? Why did Brandy choose to deceive Shannon for so long? Be sure to use examples from the text in your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
The author makes use of juxtapositions in the text. Examine the photo shoots that Shannon recounts. How is juxtaposition used? What are the locations of the shoots? What do the models have to wear? What other literary elements can be detected in these scenes? How does the author's use of description contribute to the overall effect?
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, each character goes through a transformation. Go through each major character one by one and explains their journey and ultimate conclusion. Be sure to use specifics from the text.
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)