|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Shannon's brother's face?
2. How does Shannon's accident occur?
3. How does Shannon describe Brandy's mouth?
4. Who finds Shannon's secret postcard?
5. What landmark do Brandy, Shannon, and Seth visit in Seattle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator feel that she has no native tongue?
2. What secret does Shannon write on her postcard at the Space Needle?
3. What is the one thing Shannon has wanted to be asked?
4. What story does Brandy tell the border policemen to try to get them back into the USA?
5. What article of clothing does Brandy suggest Shannon wear?
6. Why does Shannon feel she is in competition with Brandy and Evie in the first scene?
7. What is Shannon's father's strategy for selling his pigs at market?
8. Why is Shannon upset that Evie borrowed her clothes?
9. Why does Brandy make Rona Barrett her new Supreme Being?
10. Why does Manus have pornography magazines around his apartment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the novel, each character goes through a transformation. Go through each major character one by one and explains their journey and ultimate conclusion. Be sure to use specifics from the text.
Essay Topic 2
According to Brandy, Shannon is not responsible for the way she acts. We are all products of products of products, and have no real choice in whom we become. How is this idea reflected in the novel? Has Brandy broken out of this cycle or does she consider herself a part of it? How has Shannon attempted to break outside of herself? By the end of the novel, has she accomplished her goals? Why or why not? Be sure to include textual evidence in your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Explore Shannon's observations of the television monitor on her infomercial. Upon review of the infomercial, what does she notice? Are people looking at the models? Why or why not? How does the television monitor affect people and why does Shannon find this effect disturbing? How does the television monitor fit in to the other themes in the novel?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)