|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Shannon describe Brandy's mouth?
2. What is the print of Shannon's knock-off dress?
3. What is the one thing about Brandy Alexander that surgeons cannot change?
4. Why is Evie actually "Evie Cottrell, Inc?"
5. In Shannon's opinion, what are Shannon, Brandy, and Evie all competing for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What philosophy does Brandy Alexander have that Shannon finds attractive?
2. Before her accident, what does Shannon do for a living?
3. What is Seth's theory about television?
4. While watching television in the hospital, what infomercial does Shannon see?
5. What is Brandy's final request to Shannon before she dies?
6. After arriving at the hospital, what surprises Shannon about the others in the waiting room?
7. What accident does Shane have when he was fifteen?
8. Why does Manus have pornography magazines around his apartment?
9. Why does Brandy make Rona Barrett her new Supreme Being?
10. What subject is Evie most interested in during the pretend dramas she enacts with Shannon at the department store?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore Shannon's observations of the television monitor on her infomercial. Upon review of the infomercial, what does she notice? Are people looking at the models? Why or why not? How does the television monitor affect people and why does Shannon find this effect disturbing? How does the television monitor fit in to the other themes in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
In the novel the author makes use of different devices to tell the story. In Shannon's case, many of her feelings are related using the Phantom Photographer, a mechanism that allows the reader to know how she is feeling indirectly. What are the implications of this Phantom Photographer? Why doesn't Shannon simply tell the reader herself what she is feeling? How does viewing her state of mind through a photographer provide insight to her former life as a model as well as her inner self?
Essay Topic 3
Each of the characters in the novel wants attention. How is this need apparent in each character throughout the novel? What are the implications of needing an audience such as Evie not feeling real unless someone is watching or the baby who hurts himself and does not cry until his parents rush over? Do you think people need other people to make themselves feel real? Why or why not?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)