|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Shannon told her parents to avoid telling them about the accident?
2. What item does the policeman at the border want to see?
3. Why does Brandy demand silence as the three approach the Canadian border into the USA?
4. What is the print of Shannon's knock-off dress?
5. Why is Shannon upset when Evie wears her clothes?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Shannon describe the basic idea of modeling?
2. When the realtor talks about Canadian currency, why does it give the group pause?
3. What secret does Shannon write on her postcard at the Space Needle?
4. What is Brandy's final request to Shannon before she dies?
5. What is Shannon's father's strategy for selling his pigs at market?
6. What article of clothing does Brandy suggest Shannon wear?
7. Why is Shannon angry when we sees herself, Manus, and Evie in the infomercial?
8. What does the narrator warn the reader about the novel's structure?
9. What is Seth's theory about television?
10. Why does Shannon prefer to think of her brother as dead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Shannon gets more and more extreme in her actions. Detail her evolution from start to finish. How is the first Shannon we meet in the novel different from the final Shannon? Does she truly change in the novel? What are the major events that change her? What are the implications of the fires she sets? Choose specific events in the novel that are game-changers for her character.
Essay Topic 2
Shannon and Brandy's parents are strange people. How do they treat Shannon and Brandy as children? How do Shannon and Brandy remember their childhood? Why are their parents so obsessed with Shane after his death? How does their behavior alienate Shannon? Are their parents an examples of how we are all products of products of products? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Brandy credits the Rhea sisters with making her who she is. Who exactly are the Rhea sisters? How do the Rhea sisters help Brandy once she finds them? Why did Brandy allow the Rhea sisters to make her over? Who is responsible for calling Brandy's family with the news that she is dead? What kind of attitude do the Rheas instill in Brandy and how does this enable her adventures?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)