|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Shannon stay after she gets out of the hospital?
2. How is Shane's face disfigured?
3. What object do the nuns remove from Shannon's bathroom?
4. In Shannon's opinion, what are Shannon, Brandy, and Evie all competing for?
5. What is Shannon's family nickname?
Short Essay Questions
1. What secret does Shannon write on her postcard at the Space Needle?
2. What is Seth's theory about television?
3. Why does Manus have pornography magazines around his apartment?
4. Why does Shannon feel she is in competition with Brandy and Evie in the first scene?
5. What article of clothing does Brandy suggest Shannon wear?
6. When the realtor talks about Canadian currency, why does it give the group pause?
7. Why have Brandy and her comrades come to the open house?
8. What story does Brandy tell the border policemen to try to get them back into the USA?
9. What subject is Evie most interested in during the pretend dramas she enacts with Shannon at the department store?
10. What does the narrator warn the reader about the novel's structure?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Each of the characters in the novel wants attention. How is this need apparent in each character throughout the novel? What are the implications of needing an audience such as Evie not feeling real unless someone is watching or the baby who hurts himself and does not cry until his parents rush over? Do you think people need other people to make themselves feel real? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Shannon and Brandy. How are they alike? How are they different? What paths have they taken in the quest for true originality? How could their shared childhood have sent them in such different directions? Do they come to peace with one another in the end of the novel? Why or why not? Why did Brandy choose to deceive Shannon for so long? Be sure to use examples from the text in your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Shannon and Brandy's parents are strange people. How do they treat Shannon and Brandy as children? How do Shannon and Brandy remember their childhood? Why are their parents so obsessed with Shane after his death? How does their behavior alienate Shannon? Are their parents an examples of how we are all products of products of products? Why or why not?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)