|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What aspect of Shannon's life is Brandy constantly changing?
2. What does Shannon believe is only possible with an audience?
3. What item does the policeman at the border want to see?
4. What kind of curtains does Evie have?
5. What piece of jewelry does SIster Katherine wear?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why have Brandy and her comrades come to the open house?
2. Describe briefly the opening scene of the novel.
3. What article of clothing does Brandy suggest Shannon wear?
4. What subject is Evie most interested in during the pretend dramas she enacts with Shannon at the department store?
5. While watching television in the hospital, what infomercial does Shannon see?
6. Why does Evie live in a mansion in the suburbs?
7. What device does the author employ again and again to convey Shannon's emotions?
8. Before her accident, what does Shannon do for a living?
9. Why do Evie and Shannon continually visit the department store?
10. Why does Manus have pornography magazines around his apartment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel explores the idea of attention as an addiction. Is Shannon addicted to attention? Is Brandy? Is Evie or Manus? Why or why not? What instances in the text point you toward a conclusion?
Essay Topic 2
Explore Shannon's observations of the television monitor on her infomercial. Upon review of the infomercial, what does she notice? Are people looking at the models? Why or why not? How does the television monitor affect people and why does Shannon find this effect disturbing? How does the television monitor fit in to the other themes in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
A central image of Shannon's childhood is her clothes burning on the clothesline. How does this event change Shannon? How does Shannon react? How does her reaction give insight to her character at fifteen? Is this the start of her obsession with fire? Why or why not? Be sure to examine the account in the novel and cite any quotations.
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)