|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brandy give to Shannon after she tells her story?
2. Why is Seth so fixated on television?
3. What color is Brandy's eyeshadow?
4. What piece of jewelry does SIster Katherine wear?
5. Why is the group going to Seattle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Brandy introduce Shannon to veils?
2. Why is Shannon upset that Evie borrowed her clothes?
3. What does the narrator warn the reader about the novel's structure?
4. Why does Manus have pornography magazines around his apartment?
5. Why is Shannon angry when we sees herself, Manus, and Evie in the infomercial?
6. What is Brandy's final request to Shannon before she dies?
7. Why does Evie live in a mansion in the suburbs?
8. What happens on the day that Shannon's bandages are removed when she visits the grocery store?
9. What secret does Shannon write on her postcard at the Space Needle?
10. When the realtor talks about Canadian currency, why does it give the group pause?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do a character study of Evie Cottrell. What role does she play in the novel? How does her relationships with the other characters further the plot? How does her character contribute to the central themes of the novel? Is she a static character or does she undergo changes throughout the text? Explore Evie's idea of beautiful people together being less than the sum of their parts. How does this idea contribute to the novel? Is Shannon changed by this theory? Be sure to use examples from the text in your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
In the novel, each character goes through a transformation. Go through each major character one by one and explains their journey and ultimate conclusion. Be sure to use specifics from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Brandy credits the Rhea sisters with making her who she is. Who exactly are the Rhea sisters? How do the Rhea sisters help Brandy once she finds them? Why did Brandy allow the Rhea sisters to make her over? Who is responsible for calling Brandy's family with the news that she is dead? What kind of attitude do the Rheas instill in Brandy and how does this enable her adventures?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)