|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the group going to Seattle?
2. How is Shane's face disfigured?
3. Whom does Brandy claim to be when trying to cross the border?
4. Why does Shannon resent her dead brother?
5. What year is Miss Rona's autobiography copyrighted?
Short Essay Questions
1. What secret does Shannon write on her postcard at the Space Needle?
2. Why does Manus have pornography magazines around his apartment?
3. What is Shannon's father's strategy for selling his pigs at market?
4. What is Brandy's final request to Shannon before she dies?
5. What plan does Shannon concoct in a final attempt to kill Brandy?
6. What philosophy does Brandy Alexander have that Shannon finds attractive?
7. Though he has broken into the house with a knife, what does Manus try to tell Shannon?
8. What has "Shane" bought Shannon for Christmas?
9. How does Evie feel about her womanhood thus far?
10. After arriving at the hospital, what surprises Shannon about the others in the waiting room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A central image of Shannon's childhood is her clothes burning on the clothesline. How does this event change Shannon? How does Shannon react? How does her reaction give insight to her character at fifteen? Is this the start of her obsession with fire? Why or why not? Be sure to examine the account in the novel and cite any quotations.
Essay Topic 2
Each of the characters in the novel wants attention. How is this need apparent in each character throughout the novel? What are the implications of needing an audience such as Evie not feeling real unless someone is watching or the baby who hurts himself and does not cry until his parents rush over? Do you think people need other people to make themselves feel real? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Is P.F.L.A.G a real organization? Do some research on the organization. If not, find a comparable rights group and research into their structure. How does the organization work? What are their outreach programs? Are there testimonials from parents, like Shannon and Shane's parents about dealing with prejudice or loss? Be sure to cite your information.
This section contains 1,927 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)