|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the Penates and the Lares?
2. As Polo studies the wood of Khan's chessboard, what does he point out?
3. What happens to the city of Irene as one approaches it?
4. In Chapter 6, Polo claims that he's reached the point where, in the number of people he has known:
5. What items from his travels does Polo spread at the feet of Khan in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The two main characters question reality to the point where they are not sure if they are presently traveling and only dreaming of being in Khan's garden, or presently relaxing in the garden while dreaming of their travels. Which do you think is the case? Why? Support your conclusion with evidence from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Polo plays with the concept of light and dark. Some cities have beautiful sides along with darker sides. Give examples of these, describing in detail both sides. Are the sides real or imagined? How do they complete the whole? What do you suppose are Polo's reasons for sharing both sides to the emperor? Explain your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Which of the two characters, Khan or Polo, has a more realistic understanding of the state of the empire? Which would you say has a more hopeful view of the empire's future? Support your answers with examples from the story.
This section contains 1,479 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)