|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Each person in Melania is what?
2. What does Leonia do on a daily basis?
3. The people in the city of Irene are:
4. Khan wonders why Polo never speaks of:
5. When Khan tells Polo that he's dreamed of a city bathed in the light of the moon, what does Polo say?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Polo use the game of chess to help Khan better understand the cities of his empire?
2. What does Polo say to Khan when the emperor points out that he never speaks of Venice?
3. When Polo sees familiar faces in the city of Adelma, what does he start to wonder?
4. Describe the two species that protect Leandra.
5. Why is it that someone arriving at Thekla will see very little of the city?
6. What are the theories regarding why the inhabitants of Baucis live up in the clouds and rarely climb down to the ground?
7. In Chapter 5, how does Polo illustrate to Khan the connections that hold cities together?
8. When people get lost in Eudoxia, what do they look at to find their bearings?
9. How do the people of Beersheba regard the heavenly version of their city?
10. In what significant way is Argia different from all other cities Polo describes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Khan alternates between being pessimistic and being optimistic about his empire.
1) What concerns and hopes does Khan have about his empire? Cite specific examples.
2) How do Polo's stories fuel or soothe the emperor's worries and ambitions?
3) Seeing Khan at odds with himself, how does Polo use this opportunity to expand the emperor's understanding of the cities within his empire?
Essay Topic 2
Polo plays with the concept of light and dark. Some cities have beautiful sides along with darker sides. Give examples of these, describing in detail both sides. Are the sides real or imagined? How do they complete the whole? What do you suppose are Polo's reasons for sharing both sides to the emperor? Explain your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Part 1) What does Polo stand to gain by sharing stories about the empire's cities with Khan? What might he lose?
Part 2) How does Khan benefit from the information provided by Polo? Does it affect his ruling style in any way? Explain.
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)