Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the Penates and the Lares?
2. Octavia is full of:
3. Clarice is known for its cycle of death and rebirth and:
4. What do the residents of Ersilia do?
5. What is one of Khan's biggest worries regarding his empire?
Essay Topic 1
At first, Polo does not speak Khan's language and therefore uses symbols and gestures to communicate his stories. Later, he learns to speak a language Khan speaks and is able to give the emperor precise descriptions.
1) Analyze how Khan interprets Polo's stories when they are told through symbols and gestures. How much does he comprehend? What is left to his imagination? How does he fill in the blanks?
2) How do Khan's interpretations of the stories change once Polo learns to speak his language? Is any information lost, gained, or transformed? Explain.
3) Analyze the differences in Khan's interpretations when the stories are told through symbols and when they are told through clear spoken language. Which interpretation is closest to the truth Polo is trying to convey? Why?
Essay Topic 2
One of Polo's goals is to show the emperor that his cities cannot exist without connections holding each one together. Using examples from the book, explain how Polo elaborates on the theme of "connections within a city." Then, explain how his example of an arched stone bridge supports his premise that the cities are the sum of all of their connections.
Essay Topic 3
After hearing Polo tell so many varied, interesting stories reflecting the state of Khan's empire, what conclusion does the emperor reach? What has he been trying to learn all along from Polo's stories? Does he get the information he seeks? What does Khan decide or realize about his empire by the end of the book?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)