|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When one listens to the ground in Argia, what does one hear?
2. To make the passing from life to death less abrupt, what have the people of Eusapia done?
3. In Chapter 5, as Khan sits in his palace visualizing the growth of his empire, what does he see?
4. What is one of Khan's biggest worries regarding his empire?
5. Khan wonders why Polo never speaks of:
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is it ever possible to tell whether Polo's stories have any truth to them or are completely made up? Why or why not? What examples or book passages support your conclusion?
Essay Topic 2
How does Polo reveal the disintegration of Khan's empire through his stories? Explain and support your answer with points from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Quite a few of Polo's descriptions reveal the condition of a city in its past, present, and future versions.
Part 1) How is the time line or chronology of a city illustrated by Polo's stories? Cite a few examples.
Part 2) What is the significance to Khan of showing him his cities through their chronology? What meaning or message is Polo trying to impart? What type of understanding does he hope the emperor will reach from this time line information?
This section contains 1,495 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)