|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the people of Beersheba believe?
2. Polo says that Clarice is:
3. What does Khan dream his lands are filled with?
4. As he travels through Adelma, what does Polo wonder?
5. Why does Khan wonder when Polo actually has time to travel to far-off cities?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the cities described by Polo in Chapter 8 depict confusion?
2. Describe the dialogue that Khan and Polo have regarding the arched bridge made of stone.
3. How does Polo use the game of chess to help Khan better understand the cities of his empire?
4. In what significant way is Argia different from all other cities Polo describes?
5. When people get lost in Eudoxia, what do they look at to find their bearings?
6. Describe the two sides of the city of Moriana.
7. What does Polo say to Khan when the emperor points out that he never speaks of Venice?
8. Describe Esmeralda, the city of water.
9. Describe the significance of the strings in the city of Ersilia.
10. As Khan visualizes the growth of his empire, what are some of the concerns he has?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Through some of his city descriptions, Polo demonstrates the folly behind people's behavior, customs, traditions, and/or belief systems. Cite three examples from the book where this is the case. Then, compare and contrast these examples. Finally, explain what message you believe Polo is trying to communicate about human nature by these examples.
Essay Topic 2
In some of Polo's stories, he dissects cities in order to show Khan the bigger picture or the whole story. How does he dissect the cities of Olivia, Sophronia, Eutropia, and Zemrude in Chapter 4? Cite specific examples. How does dissecting these cities serve to paint the big picture so that the emperor can see these cities in their entirety? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Briefly compare and contrast the type of information Polo shares with Khan with what other messengers share with the emperor. Then, address the following questions:
1) What is the goal of Khan's messengers and advisers when they share reports with Khan?
2) What does Polo wish to convey to Khan? How do his storytelling goals differ from those of the other messengers?
3) In your opinion, who is sharing information that is most useful to the emperor--Polo or the other messengers? Why?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)