|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leonia do on a daily basis?
2. What does Polo say that Pyrrha represents for him?
3. What do the residents of Ersilia do?
4. Leandra is protected by two species, both of which are:
5. How does Melania's population renew itself?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the people of Beersheba regard the heavenly version of their city?
2. Describe the two sides of the city of Moriana.
3. In what significant way is Argia different from all other cities Polo describes?
4. When Polo sees familiar faces in the city of Adelma, what does he start to wonder?
5. How does Polo use the game of chess to help Khan better understand the cities of his empire?
6. Describe the significance of the strings in the city of Ersilia.
7. In Chapter 5, how does Polo illustrate to Khan the connections that hold cities together?
8. Why is it that someone arriving at Thekla will see very little of the city?
9. When Polo speaks of imperfections in the wood of Khan's chessboard, how does the emperor respond?
10. How does the perception of the city of Irene change depending on whether it's viewed by passersby or by inhabitants?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Through some of his city descriptions, Polo demonstrates the folly behind people's behavior, customs, traditions, and/or belief systems. Cite three examples from the book where this is the case. Then, compare and contrast these examples. Finally, explain what message you believe Polo is trying to communicate about human nature by these examples.
Essay Topic 2
One of Polo's goals is to show the emperor that his cities cannot exist without connections holding each one together. Using examples from the book, explain how Polo elaborates on the theme of "connections within a city." Then, explain how his example of an arched stone bridge supports his premise that the cities are the sum of all of their connections.
Essay Topic 3
Briefly compare and contrast the type of information Polo shares with Khan with what other messengers share with the emperor. Then, address the following questions:
1) What is the goal of Khan's messengers and advisers when they share reports with Khan?
2) What does Polo wish to convey to Khan? How do his storytelling goals differ from those of the other messengers?
3) In your opinion, who is sharing information that is most useful to the emperor--Polo or the other messengers? Why?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)