|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Polo explains that if he describes Olivia as rich in products and profits, the emperor should realize that:
2. What's missing in Armilla?
3. As Kublai Khan listens to the reports of his envoys and tax collectors while walking through his garden, his messengers speak in languages that:
4. What does Polo see rising vertically in Armilla?
5. Which city is said to be between two deserts, one of sand and one of water?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it about Anastasia that it would make slaves of men?
2. Why does Kublai Khan listen to Marco Polo's fantastic stories about cities he's visited?
3. Even though Zobeide, the white city, was made from the dreams of many men of different nationalities, how do strangers see the place?
4. How does Polo describe the young women of Armilla?
5. What special ability does the mirror image of Valdrada possess?
6. What do the different models of the city of Fedora show?
7. Khan and Polo each envision model cities. From these models, what are the two men able to deduce?
8. What is the significance of the large metal building located at the center of Fedora?
9. What happens from time to time to the temporary part of the city of Sophronia?
10. In what way are the people of Chloe connected to each other?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At first, Polo does not speak Khan's language and therefore uses symbols and gestures to communicate his stories. Later, he learns to speak a language Khan speaks and is able to give the emperor precise descriptions.
1) Analyze how Khan interprets Polo's stories when they are told through symbols and gestures. How much does he comprehend? What is left to his imagination? How does he fill in the blanks?
2) How do Khan's interpretations of the stories change once Polo learns to speak his language? Is any information lost, gained, or transformed? Explain.
3) Analyze the differences in Khan's interpretations when the stories are told through symbols and when they are told through clear spoken language. Which interpretation is closest to the truth Polo is trying to convey? Why?
Essay Topic 2
After hearing Polo tell so many varied, interesting stories reflecting the state of Khan's empire, what conclusion does the emperor reach? What has he been trying to learn all along from Polo's stories? Does he get the information he seeks? What does Khan decide or realize about his empire by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
The two main characters question reality to the point where they are not sure if they are presently traveling and only dreaming of being in Khan's garden, or presently relaxing in the garden while dreaming of their travels. Which do you think is the case? Why? Support your conclusion with evidence from the book.
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)