|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city is found 80 miles northwest of Zenobia?
2. At the conclusion of Chapter 1, Khan is completely satisfied with Polo's explanations but still remembers what?
3. Which city is described as having buildings with spiral staircases and with spiral seashells encrusted in the staircases?
4. Anastasia is described as being full of precious and mundane objects such as:
5. When one leaves Zenobia and travels for six days and seven nights, where would one end up?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 4, why does Polo dissect every city he describes to Khan?
2. What does Polo not know about Armilla?
3. Describe life in Eutropia, which is made up of many individual cities of equal size.
4. In what way is Tamara a city of perceptions and symbols?
5. What do the different models of the city of Fedora show?
6. Why would you say the cities described by Polo in Chapter 3 have an especially dreamy quality about them?
7. What is the significance of the evening breeze that Khan and Polo enjoy while conversing on the steps of the palace?
8. What special ability does the mirror image of Valdrada possess?
9. Describe the gods in the two religions of Isaura.
10. What happens from time to time to the temporary part of the city of Sophronia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The two main characters question reality to the point where they are not sure if they are presently traveling and only dreaming of being in Khan's garden, or presently relaxing in the garden while dreaming of their travels. Which do you think is the case? Why? Support your conclusion with evidence from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Part 1) What does Polo stand to gain by sharing stories about the empire's cities with Khan? What might he lose?
Part 2) How does Khan benefit from the information provided by Polo? Does it affect his ruling style in any way? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Polo plays with the concept of light and dark. Some cities have beautiful sides along with darker sides. Give examples of these, describing in detail both sides. Are the sides real or imagined? How do they complete the whole? What do you suppose are Polo's reasons for sharing both sides to the emperor? Explain your answers.
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)