Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Polo first communicates with Khan, the emperor is able to:
2. Which is the city of perceptions and symbols, where items are valuable because of what they represent, not what they really are?
3. When Polo goes to Hypatia, what does he learn?
4. Which city has supposedly languished and deteriorated, forgotten by the earth?
5. Which city is described as having buildings with spiral staircases and with spiral seashells encrusted in the staircases?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kublai Khan listen to Marco Polo's fantastic stories about cities he's visited?
2. How do the cities described by Polo in Chapter 8 depict confusion?
3. Khan and Polo each envision model cities. From these models, what are the two men able to deduce?
4. Describe the gods in the two religions of Isaura.
5. When Polo suggests to Khan that the garden where they share stories may exist only in their minds and that, in reality, they may still be traveling, what does the emperor say?
6. Why does Polo say that it is best to visit Diomira on a September evening?
7. Who lives in the underground city of Eusapia, and who has access to it?
8. In what significant way is Argia different from all other cities Polo describes?
9. Briefly describe Kublai Khan's atlases.
10. What does Polo come to realize about language in Hypatia?
Essay Topic 1
Which of the two characters, Khan or Polo, has a more realistic understanding of the state of the empire? Which would you say has a more hopeful view of the empire's future? Support your answers with examples from the story.
Essay Topic 2
How does Polo reveal the disintegration of Khan's empire through his stories? Explain and support your answer with points from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Part 1) What does Polo stand to gain by sharing stories about the empire's cities with Khan? What might he lose?
Part 2) How does Khan benefit from the information provided by Polo? Does it affect his ruling style in any way? Explain.
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)