|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which city is described as a place where traitors are strung from lampposts and old men sit on docks, telling stories while mending fishing nets?
2. After the people of Chloe lock eyes with each other for a moment, what do they do?
3. Polo describes a city with two forms of religion. In one, the gods live in a subterranean lake. In the other, the gods live where?
4. In chapter 3, when the traveler and the emperor discuss a city Khan has imagined, what does Polo say about it?
5. Khan tells Polo about his dreams of a city where the farewells from its harbor are what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens from time to time to the temporary part of the city of Sophronia?
2. How is Maurilia connected to its past?
3. What is it about Anastasia that it would make slaves of men?
4. In what way are the people of Chloe connected to each other?
5. What is the significance of the evening breeze that Khan and Polo enjoy while conversing on the steps of the palace?
6. Explain why Polo says that one cannot forget the city of Zora.
7. Why does Kublai Khan listen to Marco Polo's fantastic stories about cities he's visited?
8. What does Polo come to realize about language in Hypatia?
9. How does Khan react to Polo's stories when he's feeling euphoric about his empire?
10. When Khan and Polo pause in between their conversations, pondering the meaning of what's been said, what does each imagine or visualize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The two main characters question reality to the point where they are not sure if they are presently traveling and only dreaming of being in Khan's garden, or presently relaxing in the garden while dreaming of their travels. Which do you think is the case? Why? Support your conclusion with evidence from the book.
Essay Topic 2
When telling stories to Khan from the steps of the palace, Polo emphasizes the importance of the evening breeze they are enjoying. Explain how the breeze serves as a grounding mechanism. How does it work to imprint memories in Khan's mind? What purpose does it serve the stories Polo tells? How does the breeze affect Khan's connection to the stories and his cities?
Essay Topic 3
Which of the two characters, Khan or Polo, has a more realistic understanding of the state of the empire? Which would you say has a more hopeful view of the empire's future? Support your answers with examples from the story.
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)