|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 5, as Khan sits in his palace visualizing the growth of his empire, what does he see?
(a) Warriors from the west coming to fight for his empire.
(b) Conquered territories spreading further into other regions.
(c) Overpopulation leading to famine and disease.
(d) More innovations coming from his empire's brightest minds.
2. As he travels through Adelma, what does Polo wonder?
(a) If those he encounters are real people or ghosts.
(b) Where all the children have gone to.
(c) Why there are more men than women there.
(d) If he resembles someone who is already dead to the people there.
3. In Argia, what are the streets filled with?
4. Esmeralda is known as the city of what?
5. As Khan studies the wood of his chessboard, Polo begins to talk of:
(a) Elephants, strong winds, and sunsets.
(b) An ebony forest , docks, and women at windows.
(c) Tattoos, flowers, and men with beards.
(d) A field of sunflowers, ships, and children fast asleep.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Clarice, people take parts of the old city and use them in different ways for what?
2. The people of Adelma remind Polo of what?
3. Each person in Melania is what?
4. The more Khan listens to Polo's stories, the less certain he is that he is sitting in the garden or:
5. If someone wants to see the blueprint for the city of Thekla, what will he be told?
Short Essay Questions
1. What eventually happens to travelers who decide to stay in Phyllis to discover all of its secrets?
2. In what significant way is Argia different from all other cities Polo describes?
3. Why is it that someone arriving at Thekla will see very little of the city?
4. What are the theories regarding why the inhabitants of Baucis live up in the clouds and rarely climb down to the ground?
5. How do the people of Beersheba regard the heavenly version of their city?
6. When people get lost in Eudoxia, what do they look at to find their bearings?
7. Describe Esmeralda, the city of water.
8. Leonia, the city that reinvents itself daily, is in danger of what?
9. Describe the two sides of the city of Moriana.
10. What does Polo say to Khan when the emperor points out that he never speaks of Venice?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)