|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Khan wonders why Polo never speaks of:
(a) His family.
(b) His past studies.
2. Clarice is known for its cycle of death and rebirth and:
(a) Its yearly festival honoring the dead.
(b) Its adherence to the idea of reincarnation.
(c) Falling to ruin and being rebuilt.
(d) Burning to the ground and rising from the ashes.
3. In Argia, what are the streets filled with?
4. What is the furthest city to which Polo has ever traveled?
5. Worried about his own empire, Khan begins to dream of cities that are:
(a) Just starting to grow.
(b) Protected by solid stone walls.
(d) Light as feathers and transparent.
Short Answer Questions
1. The people in the city of Irene are:
2. When Khan tells Polo that he's dreamed of a city bathed in the light of the moon, what does Polo say?
3. In Chapter 6, Polo claims that he's reached the point where, in the number of people he has known:
4. After the people of Ersilia move and the city is in ruins, what are left?
5. The people of Lenia awaken each day and:
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it that someone arriving at Thekla will see very little of the city?
2. What eventually happens to travelers who decide to stay in Phyllis to discover all of its secrets?
3. As Khan visualizes the growth of his empire, what are some of the concerns he has?
4. When Polo speaks of imperfections in the wood of Khan's chessboard, how does the emperor respond?
5. How do the cities described by Polo in Chapter 8 depict confusion?
6. In what significant way is Argia different from all other cities Polo describes?
7. Describe Esmeralda, the city of water.
8. When Polo suggests to Khan that the garden where they share stories may exist only in their minds and that, in reality, they may still be traveling, what does the emperor say?
9. How does Clarice preserve and display its history?
10. When Polo sees familiar faces in the city of Adelma, what does he start to wonder?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)