|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Someone in Thekla will see what?
(a) A sea of signs.
(b) Shadows drifting overhead.
(c) Rows of empty flower pots.
(d) Very little of the city.
2. What is Esmeralda layered with?
(a) Sturdy canvas covers of many colors.
(b) Terraces and rice fields.
(c) Stairs, landings, and bridges.
(d) Flower-covered windowsills and green rooftops.
3. Khan wonders why Polo never speaks of:
(a) His past studies.
(d) His family.
4. How does Polo describe the city of Olinda?
(a) Like trees, it grows in concentric circles.
(b) Lonely, lovely, and lost.
(c) Longing for a renewed version of itself.
(d) Like the billowing clouds of summer.
5. What does Polo describe Eusapia as?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 8, Khan comes to realize that knowledge of his empire can be found in:
2. As he travels through Adelma, what does Polo wonder?
3. What does a traveler arriving to Baucis see?
4. In Esmeralda, who moves through the sewers with the rats?
5. In Eusapia, what is there really is no way of knowing anymore?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the perception of the city of Irene change depending on whether it's viewed by passersby or by inhabitants?
2. Why is it that someone arriving at Thekla will see very little of the city?
3. Describe the dialogue that Khan and Polo have regarding the arched bridge made of stone.
4. How does Polo use the game of chess to help Khan better understand the cities of his empire?
5. Describe the two species that protect Leandra.
6. When Polo sees familiar faces in the city of Adelma, what does he start to wonder?
7. Describe the significance of the strings in the city of Ersilia.
8. When Polo speaks of imperfections in the wood of Khan's chessboard, how does the emperor respond?
9. How does Clarice preserve and display its history?
10. What eventually happens to travelers who decide to stay in Phyllis to discover all of its secrets?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)