|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The people of Adelma remind Polo of what?
(a) Spoiled children.
(b) Overstuffed toads.
(c) Princes and princesses.
(d) Friends and relatives who have died.
2. Most inhabitants of Eudoxia believe that the pattern of its carpet is:
(a) Impossible to reproduce.
(b) Of divine origin.
(c) Unparalleled in its complexity.
(d) Hopelessly baffling.
3. Polo says that Clarice is:
(a) A city of madmen and silent children.
(b) A glorious city with a tormented history.
(c) The most normal city he's ever visited.
(d) The future capital of the empire.
4. As Polo studies the wood of Khan's chessboard, what does he point out?
(a) Its rich red color.
(b) Its natural flaws.
(c) That they've not had dinner yet.
(d) That it's getting late.
5. How does Melania's population renew itself?
(a) Through the acting out of an ongoing dialogue.
(b) Through the annual "Festival of Renewal."
(c) By being reborn and living multiple lives.
(d) By reciting vows at the start of each new year.
Short Answer Questions
1. Each person in Melania is what?
2. Why does Khan question Polo's motives for travel?
3. In Argia, what are the streets filled with?
4. What does Khan dream his lands are filled with?
5. How does Polo describe Moriana?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Polo suggests to Khan that the garden where they share stories may exist only in their minds and that, in reality, they may still be traveling, what does the emperor say?
2. In what significant way is Argia different from all other cities Polo describes?
3. Describe the dialogue that Khan and Polo have regarding the arched bridge made of stone.
4. When Polo speaks of imperfections in the wood of Khan's chessboard, how does the emperor respond?
5. How do the cities described by Polo in Chapter 8 depict confusion?
6. Describe the two species that protect Leandra.
7. Why is it that someone arriving at Thekla will see very little of the city?
8. Describe the significance of the strings in the city of Ersilia.
9. Leonia, the city that reinvents itself daily, is in danger of what?
10. Describe Esmeralda, the city of water.
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)