|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The people of Lenia awaken each day and:
(a) Make a pilgrimage to the beach.
(b) Wash with unopened bars of soap.
(c) Ready their kites for flying.
(d) Check their clocks for accuracy.
2. Khan wonders why Polo never speaks of:
(c) His family.
(d) His past studies.
3. Someone in Thekla will see what?
(a) Rows of empty flower pots.
(b) Shadows drifting overhead.
(c) Very little of the city.
(d) A sea of signs.
4. Who are the Penates and the Lares?
(a) The two species that protect the people of Leandra.
(b) The ancestors of Melania's inhabitants.
(c) The guardians of Baucis.
(d) The two main tribes of Ersilia.
5. The people of Adelma remind Polo of what?
(a) Princes and princesses.
(b) Friends and relatives who have died.
(c) Overstuffed toads.
(d) Spoiled children.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Trude, only the name of what changes?
2. In Esmeralda, who moves through the sewers with the rats?
3. What is at the center of Moriana?
4. What happens to the city of Irene as one approaches it?
5. In Chapter 8, Khan is on the verge of:
Short Essay Questions
1. Leonia, the city that reinvents itself daily, is in danger of what?
2. Describe the two species that protect Leandra.
3. Describe the two sides of the city of Moriana.
4. What eventually happens to travelers who decide to stay in Phyllis to discover all of its secrets?
5. As Khan visualizes the growth of his empire, what are some of the concerns he has?
6. How do the cities described by Polo in Chapter 8 depict confusion?
7. Describe Esmeralda, the city of water.
8. When Polo speaks of imperfections in the wood of Khan's chessboard, how does the emperor respond?
9. What does Polo say to Khan when the emperor points out that he never speaks of Venice?
10. When Polo sees familiar faces in the city of Adelma, what does he start to wonder?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)