|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Polo describe Eusapia as?
2. What do the people of Beersheba believe?
(a) Another Beersheba exists, suspended in the heavens.
(b) They are descended from ancient gods.
(c) Their emperor favors Beersheba above all other cities.
(d) They are living in a dream.
3. How does Polo describe the city of Olinda?
(a) Like the billowing clouds of summer.
(b) Longing for a renewed version of itself.
(c) Like trees, it grows in concentric circles.
(d) Lonely, lovely, and lost.
4. How does Melania's population renew itself?
(a) By reciting vows at the start of each new year.
(b) Through the annual "Festival of Renewal."
(c) By being reborn and living multiple lives.
(d) Through the acting out of an ongoing dialogue.
5. If a traveler to Thekla asks why the construction is never done, what answer will he hear?
(a) So that the destruction can't start.
(b) In order to confuse the spirits.
(c) Nobody knows why.
(d) They are waiting for the architect to return.
Short Answer Questions
1. If someone wants to see the blueprint for the city of Thekla, what will he be told?
2. In Chapter 8, Khan comes to realize that knowledge of his empire can be found in:
3. Looking at Argia from above, what does one see?
4. As he travels through Adelma, what does Polo wonder?
5. In Chapter 6, Polo claims that he's reached the point where, in the number of people he has known:
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Clarice preserve and display its history?
2. How does the perception of the city of Irene change depending on whether it's viewed by passersby or by inhabitants?
3. Why is it that someone arriving at Thekla will see very little of the city?
4. Describe Esmeralda, the city of water.
5. Leonia, the city that reinvents itself daily, is in danger of what?
6. What are the theories regarding why the inhabitants of Baucis live up in the clouds and rarely climb down to the ground?
7. Describe the dialogue that Khan and Polo have regarding the arched bridge made of stone.
8. Who lives in the underground city of Eusapia, and who has access to it?
9. Describe the significance of the strings in the city of Ersilia.
10. Describe the two species that protect Leandra.
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)