|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the furthest city to which Polo has ever traveled?
2. What does the hidden side of Moriana look like?
(a) An expanse of rusting sheet metal and pipes black with soot.
(b) A giant warehouse filled with travelers' broken dreams.
(c) A wasteland of jagged rocks and tortured souls.
(d) A golden altar to the gods of light and darkness.
3. In Chapter 5, as Khan sits in his palace visualizing the growth of his empire, what does he see?
(a) Warriors from the west coming to fight for his empire.
(b) More innovations coming from his empire's brightest minds.
(c) Conquered territories spreading further into other regions.
(d) Overpopulation leading to famine and disease.
4. Most inhabitants of Eudoxia believe that the pattern of its carpet is:
(a) Hopelessly baffling.
(b) Impossible to reproduce.
(c) Unparalleled in its complexity.
(d) Of divine origin.
5. What is Octavia known as?
(a) The city of mist.
(b) Home of the forgotten children.
(c) The spider-web city.
(d) The land of lost dreams.
Short Answer Questions
1. Someone in Thekla will see what?
2. After the people of Ersilia move and the city is in ruins, what are left?
3. When Polo lands at the furthest city to which he's ever traveled, he arrives when?
4. When Khan tells Polo that he's dreamed of a city bathed in the light of the moon, what does Polo say?
5. What does Polo describe Eusapia as?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Polo speaks of imperfections in the wood of Khan's chessboard, how does the emperor respond?
2. Describe Esmeralda, the city of water.
3. When people get lost in Eudoxia, what do they look at to find their bearings?
4. In what significant way is Argia different from all other cities Polo describes?
5. Describe the dialogue that Khan and Polo have regarding the arched bridge made of stone.
6. How does the perception of the city of Irene change depending on whether it's viewed by passersby or by inhabitants?
7. Describe the significance of the strings in the city of Ersilia.
8. Why is it that someone arriving at Thekla will see very little of the city?
9. How does Clarice preserve and display its history?
10. What eventually happens to travelers who decide to stay in Phyllis to discover all of its secrets?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)