|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Polo say that Pyrrha represents for him?
(a) All the cities he's never seen.
(b) The picture of his childhood dreams.
(c) The perfect city.
(d) The ultimate in decadence.
2. In Clarice, people take parts of the old city and use them in different ways for what?
(a) Decorating their homes and gardens.
(b) Building musical instruments.
(c) Building the new city.
(d) Creating tools for growing crops and hunting.
3. As Khan studies the wood of his chessboard, Polo begins to talk of:
(a) Tattoos, flowers, and men with beards.
(b) A field of sunflowers, ships, and children fast asleep.
(c) Elephants, strong winds, and sunsets.
(d) An ebony forest , docks, and women at windows.
4. Khan wonders why Polo never speaks of:
(a) His family.
(c) His past studies.
5. Why does Khan question Polo's motives for travel?
(a) He no longer wants to fund Polo's travels.
(b) He stops trusting Polo.
(c) He hears the longing in Polo's voice.
(d) Polo is a complete mystery to him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What items from his travels does Polo spread at the feet of Khan in Chapter 8?
2. The houses in Argia are filled with what?
3. Most inhabitants of Eudoxia believe that the pattern of its carpet is:
4. In Eusapia, what is there really is no way of knowing anymore?
5. In Argia, what are the streets filled with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the two sides of the city of Moriana.
2. When Polo suggests to Khan that the garden where they share stories may exist only in their minds and that, in reality, they may still be traveling, what does the emperor say?
3. Who lives in the underground city of Eusapia, and who has access to it?
4. When people get lost in Eudoxia, what do they look at to find their bearings?
5. How does the perception of the city of Irene change depending on whether it's viewed by passersby or by inhabitants?
6. When Polo sees familiar faces in the city of Adelma, what does he start to wonder?
7. Leonia, the city that reinvents itself daily, is in danger of what?
8. Why is it that someone arriving at Thekla will see very little of the city?
9. What are the theories regarding why the inhabitants of Baucis live up in the clouds and rarely climb down to the ground?
10. What does Polo say to Khan when the emperor points out that he never speaks of Venice?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)