|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 8, Khan comes to realize that knowledge of his empire can be found in:
(a) The hidden spaces between spoken words.
(b) The hidden places in his vast garden.
(c) The hidden clues in Polo's stories.
(d) The hidden patterns on a chessboard.
2. What does a traveler arriving to Baucis see?
(a) Slender stilts.
(b) Golden stairs.
(c) Rope bridges.
(d) Blue arches.
3. The strings of Ersilia come in different colors. What do these colors represent?
4. What does Khan dream his lands are filled with?
(a) Innovative architecture.
(b) Promise and rich growth.
(c) Gold, silver, and bronze.
(d) The brightest, most beautiful people.
5. Khan wonders why Polo never speaks of:
(a) His past studies.
(b) His family.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Polo describes a bridge made of stone, Khan wants to know:
2. What is the furthest city to which Polo has ever traveled?
3. When families in Leandra move in to new houses, who follows them?
4. In Argia, what are the streets filled with?
5. In Chapter 6, Polo claims that he's reached the point where, in the number of people he has known:
Short Essay Questions
1. As Khan visualizes the growth of his empire, what are some of the concerns he has?
2. Describe the two species that protect Leandra.
3. When Polo speaks of imperfections in the wood of Khan's chessboard, how does the emperor respond?
4. What eventually happens to travelers who decide to stay in Phyllis to discover all of its secrets?
5. In Chapter 5, how does Polo illustrate to Khan the connections that hold cities together?
6. When Polo suggests to Khan that the garden where they share stories may exist only in their minds and that, in reality, they may still be traveling, what does the emperor say?
7. How does Clarice preserve and display its history?
8. Describe the dialogue that Khan and Polo have regarding the arched bridge made of stone.
9. Describe the two sides of the city of Moriana.
10. When Polo sees familiar faces in the city of Adelma, what does he start to wonder?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)