|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the hidden side of Moriana look like?
(a) A wasteland of jagged rocks and tortured souls.
(b) A giant warehouse filled with travelers' broken dreams.
(c) A golden altar to the gods of light and darkness.
(d) An expanse of rusting sheet metal and pipes black with soot.
2. What happens to the city of Irene as one approaches it?
(a) It floats away.
(b) It vanishes.
(c) It changes.
(d) It spins.
3. What do the residents of Ersilia do?
(a) Stretch strings from the corners of their houses.
(b) Build fantastic stringed instuments.
(c) Hang strings from the their ceilings.
(d) Tie strings around their trees.
4. How does Polo describe the city of Olinda?
(a) Lonely, lovely, and lost.
(b) Longing for a renewed version of itself.
(c) Like trees, it grows in concentric circles.
(d) Like the billowing clouds of summer.
5. When Khan travels to visit Kin-sai, what does Polo do?
(a) Stays behind.
(b) Warns him not to go.
(c) Accompanies him.
(d) Congratulates him.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 5, as Khan sits in his palace visualizing the growth of his empire, what does he see?
2. What is one of Khan's biggest worries regarding his empire?
3. In Esmeralda, who moves through the sewers with the rats?
4. What is the furthest city to which Polo has ever traveled?
5. In Esmeralda, people can choose to travel by:
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Polo use the game of chess to help Khan better understand the cities of his empire?
2. Describe the two sides of the city of Moriana.
3. What are the theories regarding why the inhabitants of Baucis live up in the clouds and rarely climb down to the ground?
4. How do the cities described by Polo in Chapter 8 depict confusion?
5. How do the people of Beersheba regard the heavenly version of their city?
6. How does the perception of the city of Irene change depending on whether it's viewed by passersby or by inhabitants?
7. Describe the dialogue that Khan and Polo have regarding the arched bridge made of stone.
8. What does Polo say to Khan when the emperor points out that he never speaks of Venice?
9. How does Clarice preserve and display its history?
10. In what significant way is Argia different from all other cities Polo describes?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)