|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which city stands on high pilings even though it sits on dry land?
2. When Marco Polo first tells his tales to Kublai Khan, he uses:
(a) An interpreter.
(b) A language Khan developed.
(c) Gestures and pantomimes.
(d) Large words to impress Khan.
3. What is Eutropia composed of?
(a) Three cities separated from each other by a lake.
(b) A number of equally sized cities.
(c) Island cities within a vast lake.
(d) One large city surrounding a smaller city.
4. Which is the city of a thousand wells, sitting above an underground lake?
5. Once Polo is able to speak a language that Khan understands, he can:
(a) Request to go on more voyages.
(b) Demand greater pay.
(c) Be arrogant and disagreeable.
(d) Be very precise in his descriptions.
Short Answer Questions
1. When he is quiet, what does Polo sometimes imagine?
2. When one leaves Zenobia and travels for six days and seven nights, where would one end up?
3. What do the people of Zenobia imagine when asked to describe a happy life?
4. Maurilia was once:
5. When Khan says that he has a model city in his mind, he explains that from that city, he can:
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the city of Zenobia.
2. Explain why Polo says that one cannot forget the city of Zora.
3. What special ability does the mirror image of Valdrada possess?
4. How is Maurilia connected to its past?
5. Describe how the means of communication between Khan and Polo evolves.
6. What happens from time to time to the temporary part of the city of Sophronia?
7. Located 80 miles northwest of Zenobia, what is the city of Euphemia like?
8. Why does Polo say that it is best to visit Diomira on a September evening?
9. What does Polo come to realize about language in Hypatia?
10. In Chapter 4, why does Polo dissect every city he describes to Khan?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)