|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was the city on pilings built so high off the ground?
(a) Because the previous ruler was mad.
(b) Because of high tides.
(c) Nobody remembers.
(d) For protection against seasonal floods.
2. Once Polo is able to speak a language that Khan understands, he can:
(a) Be very precise in his descriptions.
(b) Demand greater pay.
(c) Be arrogant and disagreeable.
(d) Request to go on more voyages.
3. Maurilia was once:
(a) A completely different city with the same name.
(b) Ruled completely by matriarchs.
(c) Thoroughly devastated by a flood.
(d) Completely submerged under water.
4. Which city is a gray stone metropolis with a large metal building in the center?
5. In Hypatia, when Polo wants to see the sultan at the palace, who is he allowed to question instead?
(a) The second in command.
(c) The sultan's shoemaker.
Short Answer Questions
1. What confuses Polo about Armilla?
2. When one leaves Zenobia and travels for six days and seven nights, where would one end up?
3. When Polo speaks of a city, he speaks:
4. Someone traveling to Maurilia will be invited to what?
5. When Khan describes cities to Polo, what does he tell Polo to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the different models of the city of Fedora show?
2. Even though Zobeide, the white city, was made from the dreams of many men of different nationalities, how do strangers see the place?
3. What does Polo not know about Armilla?
4. What does Polo come to realize about language in Hypatia?
5. In what way is Tamara a city of perceptions and symbols?
6. What happens from time to time to the temporary part of the city of Sophronia?
7. What is it about Anastasia that it would make slaves of men?
8. When Khan instructs Polo to find the city from his dreams that has a north-facing harbor from which ships regularly leave as the people ashore wave their last goodbyes, what does Polo say?
9. When Khan and Polo pause in between their conversations, pondering the meaning of what's been said, what does each imagine or visualize?
10. How does Khan react upon growing impatient with Polo's stories?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)