|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Khan tells Polo about his dreams of a city where the farewells from its harbor are what?
(b) Joyous and celebratory.
(d) Tearful but silent.
2. Polo gives Khan impressions of:
(a) His cities and their inhabitants.
(b) The meaning of life.
(c) The financial state of the empire.
(d) What other leaders think of him.
3. In the city with the large metal building in its center, what's inside each room of the building?
(a) Statuettes in honor of the city's past leaders.
(b) A large, blue globe showing a different model of the city.
(c) Scrolls that tell of the city's history.
(d) Stores of food in case of famine.
4. If a traveler walks into Zemrude with his head held high, how does he see the city?
(a) Directly in front.
(c) Through a mist.
(d) From below.
5. When he is quiet, what does Polo sometimes imagine?
(a) Being in the emperor's shoes.
(b) Answering the emperor's questions.
(c) Being in a far off land.
(d) What life would be like had he not met the emperor.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Khan says that he has a model city in his mind, he explains that from that city, he can:
2. What does Polo explain that Zemrude's form is based on?
3. When the people of Chloe pass each other in the street, what do they do?
4. When Polo goes to Hypatia, what does he learn?
5. After the people of Chloe lock eyes with each other for a moment, what do they do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why would you say the cities described by Polo in Chapter 3 have an especially dreamy quality about them?
2. In what way are the people of Chloe connected to each other?
3. How does Polo describe the young women of Armilla?
4. Explain why Polo says that one cannot forget the city of Zora.
5. What does Polo come to realize about language in Hypatia?
6. Located 80 miles northwest of Zenobia, what is the city of Euphemia like?
7. What is the significance of the evening breeze that Khan and Polo enjoy while conversing on the steps of the palace?
8. What is the significance of the large metal building located at the center of Fedora?
9. Describe the city of Zenobia.
10. Even though Zobeide, the white city, was made from the dreams of many men of different nationalities, how do strangers see the place?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)