|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Kublai Khan listens to the reports of his envoys and tax collectors while walking through his garden, his messengers speak in languages that:
(a) He doesn't understand.
(b) He developed.
(c) Are understood only by members of royalty.
(d) They made up.
2. When Marco Polo first tells his tales to Kublai Khan, he uses:
(a) A language Khan developed.
(b) An interpreter.
(c) Gestures and pantomimes.
(d) Large words to impress Khan.
3. Moving southward for three days from the city of Zaira, what city would one encounter?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 2, what do Khan's messengers warn of?
5. When Polo tells his tales while enjoying the evening breeze as he sits on a doorstep, what does he explain to Khan?
(a) This reminds him of a time from one of his past travels.
(b) His traveling days may soon come to an end.
(c) The setting they're in will affect how the tale is remembered.
(d) The cool air clears his mind and keeps him awake.
Short Answer Questions
1. Khan tells Polo about his dreams of a city where the farewells from its harbor are what?
2. What theme runs through Chapter 4 with regard to how Polo tells his tales?
3. Polo states that Dorothea can be described by its canals, towers, people, and history, or how else?
4. Polo wants to inform the emperor how much darkness is out there by focusing on:
5. At the conclusion of Chapter 1, Khan is completely satisfied with Polo's explanations but still remembers what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Polo say its pointless to try to describe the city of Zaira?
2. What does Polo come to realize about language in Hypatia?
3. How does Polo describe the young women of Armilla?
4. In what way are the people of Chloe connected to each other?
5. Even though Zobeide, the white city, was made from the dreams of many men of different nationalities, how do strangers see the place?
6. What special ability does the mirror image of Valdrada possess?
7. What happens from time to time to the temporary part of the city of Sophronia?
8. Khan and Polo each envision model cities. From these models, what are the two men able to deduce?
9. Located 80 miles northwest of Zenobia, what is the city of Euphemia like?
10. What do the different models of the city of Fedora show?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)