|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The people of Valdrada know their actions are repeated:
(a) By actors performing in monthly plays.
(b) In the mirror image of the lake.
(c) In a parallel dimension.
(d) By their descendents.
2. What does Polo see rising vertically in Armilla?
(a) Columns that hold nothing up.
(b) Tall, slender windmills.
(c) Pipes where the houses should be.
(d) Stacks of seashells.
3. When Khan says that he has a model city in his mind, he explains that from that city, he can:
(a) Send Polo to every other city.
(b) Deduce all possible cities.
(c) Best rule his empire.
(d) Supply silk to the rest of his empire.
4. The "white city" described by Polo is:
(a) Based on the dream of many men.
(b) Surrounded by a tall, whitewashed wall.
(c) Accessible by sea only.
(d) Built with seashells and white stones.
5. When describing the cities of Eutropia, Polo explains that:
(a) Its inhabitants are unusually tall.
(b) Only one is inhabited at a time.
(c) Each one is ruled by a benevolent elder.
(d) All were once destroyed by a large earthquake.
Short Answer Questions
1. What tangible items do merchants trade in Euphemia?
2. In Hypatia, when Polo wants to see the sultan at the palace, who is he allowed to question instead?
3. In Armilla, what is one likely to catch a glimpse of?
4. When Polo first communicates with Khan, the emperor is able to:
5. When Polo speaks of a city, he speaks:
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kublai Khan listen to Marco Polo's fantastic stories about cities he's visited?
2. How does Khan react to Polo's stories when he's feeling euphoric about his empire?
3. Why does Polo say its pointless to try to describe the city of Zaira?
4. What happens from time to time to the temporary part of the city of Sophronia?
5. What is the significance of the evening breeze that Khan and Polo enjoy while conversing on the steps of the palace?
6. Describe the city of Zenobia.
7. In what way is Tamara a city of perceptions and symbols?
8. Explain why Polo says that one cannot forget the city of Zora.
9. What special ability does the mirror image of Valdrada possess?
10. Describe how the means of communication between Khan and Polo evolves.
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)