|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the people of Isaura find water?
(a) Atop the highest mountain.
(b) In the city's aqueducts and reservoirs.
(c) From dew that forms on plants.
(d) Wherever they dig.
2. Khan tells Polo about his dreams of a city where the farewells from its harbor are what?
(b) Joyous and celebratory.
(d) Tearful but silent.
3. In order to really understand the language of Hypatia, what must Polo do?
(a) Better understand the hand gestures.
(b) Spend at least two months there.
(c) Free himself from images.
(d) Learn a new set of written symbols.
4. When Khan accuses Polo of lying about the state of his empire, what does Polo say?
(a) He insists that he has never, and never will, lie to the emperor.
(b) He agrees the empire is sick and explains that is why he travels to the distant places.
(c) He has embellished every story in order to make it more appealing for the emperor.
(d) If the emperor does not want to hear the truth, then Polo's travels and tales will end.
5. What does Polo see rising vertically in Armilla?
(a) Tall, slender windmills.
(b) Pipes where the houses should be.
(c) Stacks of seashells.
(d) Columns that hold nothing up.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which city is described as having buildings with spiral staircases and with spiral seashells encrusted in the staircases?
2. Moving southward for three days from the city of Zaira, what city would one encounter?
3. Once Polo is able to speak a language that Khan understands, he can:
4. In chapter 3, when the traveler and the emperor discuss a city Khan has imagined, what does Polo say about it?
5. When Polo first communicates with Khan, the emperor is able to:
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Polo says that one cannot forget the city of Zora.
2. Describe how the means of communication between Khan and Polo evolves.
3. Describe the city of Zenobia.
4. Located 80 miles northwest of Zenobia, what is the city of Euphemia like?
5. When Khan instructs Polo to find the city from his dreams that has a north-facing harbor from which ships regularly leave as the people ashore wave their last goodbyes, what does Polo say?
6. Why would you say the cities described by Polo in Chapter 3 have an especially dreamy quality about them?
7. Describe the gods in the two religions of Isaura.
8. Why does Kublai Khan listen to Marco Polo's fantastic stories about cities he's visited?
9. Why does Polo say that it is best to visit Diomira on a September evening?
10. In what way are the people of Chloe connected to each other?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)