|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Polo explains that if he describes Olivia as rich in products and profits, the emperor should realize that:
(a) Ash falls regularly on the streets and rivers from the efforts of its industrious people.
(b) The city also contains fine palaces, exotic creatures, soot , grease, and desperation.
(c) Its people are well off and need to share their riches with others in the empire.
(d) It is one of the most prosperous and exotic cities in the empire.
2. How does Polo describe the people of Chloe?
(a) They are most welcoming to newcomers.
(b) They are strangers to each other.
(c) Great warriors train here.
(d) Everyone here is a teacher of some type.
3. What's missing in Armilla?
(a) Walls, ceilings, and floors.
(b) Law and order.
(c) A comprehensible language.
4. According to Polo, what is found in half of Sophronia?
(a) Tent cities with the poorest of the poor.
(b) An observatory with a large telescope and wise astrologers.
(c) Markets selling the riches of the world.
(d) A fair with a roller coaster, carousel, and ferris wheel.
5. Of what use are Polo's tales to the emperor?
(a) To keep him from getting depressed.
(b) To keep him calm and stable in light of financial troubles.
(c) To serve as nothing more than entertainment.
(d) To help him connect to distant places he will never see.
Short Answer Questions
1. At Euphemia, how many different nations gather to trade?
2. When Polo speaks of Zemrude, one of the views he offers is filled with:
3. Which city is said to be between two deserts, one of sand and one of water?
4. Polo describes a city with two forms of religion. In one, the gods live in a subterranean lake. In the other, the gods live where?
5. What does Polo's recollection of the city of Zirma include?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Polo describe the young women of Armilla?
2. What happens from time to time to the temporary part of the city of Sophronia?
3. Why does Polo say that it is best to visit Diomira on a September evening?
4. Why does Polo say its pointless to try to describe the city of Zaira?
5. What do the different models of the city of Fedora show?
6. Why does Kublai Khan listen to Marco Polo's fantastic stories about cities he's visited?
7. In what way is Tamara a city of perceptions and symbols?
8. How is Maurilia connected to its past?
9. What is it about Anastasia that it would make slaves of men?
10. When Khan instructs Polo to find the city from his dreams that has a north-facing harbor from which ships regularly leave as the people ashore wave their last goodbyes, what does Polo say?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)