|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Polo speaks of a city, he speaks:
(a) With a stutter.
(b) Of his own perceptions of the city.
(c) With an air of great authority.
(d) Only what he thinks the emperor wants to hear.
2. Polo wants to inform the emperor how much darkness is out there by focusing on:
(a) Traitors and those who speak poison.
(b) Remnants of past glory.
(c) The debauchery of each region.
(d) Small glimmers of light.
3. Which city is said to be between two deserts, one of sand and one of water?
4. The various depictions of Fedora show what?
(a) How the city appeared at different junctures in history.
(b) What the city looks like at different times of the year.
(c) An idealized version of the city.
(d) Particular sections of the city.
5. Polo gives Khan impressions of:
(a) What other leaders think of him.
(b) His cities and their inhabitants.
(c) The meaning of life.
(d) The financial state of the empire.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the emperor tells Polo that he's dreamed up a city and describes it, what does Polo reply?
2. In chapter 3, when the traveler and the emperor discuss a city Khan has imagined, what does Polo say about it?
3. Which is the city of a thousand wells, sitting above an underground lake?
4. The people of Valdrada know their actions are repeated:
5. What city is found 80 miles northwest of Zenobia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Polo say that it is best to visit Diomira on a September evening?
2. Describe the two sides of the city of Moriana.
3. Describe life in Eutropia, which is made up of many individual cities of equal size.
4. When people get lost in Eudoxia, what do they look at to find their bearings?
5. How does the perception of the city of Irene change depending on whether it's viewed by passersby or by inhabitants?
6. How does Clarice preserve and display its history?
7. When Khan and Polo pause in between their conversations, pondering the meaning of what's been said, what does each imagine or visualize?
8. Describe how the means of communication between Khan and Polo evolves.
9. In Chapter 4, why does Polo dissect every city he describes to Khan?
10. What do the different models of the city of Fedora show?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)