|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Polo first communicates with Khan, the emperor is able to:
(a) Look interested despite being bored.
(b) Comprehend his unusual accent.
(c) Understand everything completely.
(d) Decipher his signs.
2. Which is the city of perceptions and symbols, where items are valuable because of what they represent, not what they really are?
3. When Polo goes to Hypatia, what does he learn?
(a) The mathematics behind its architecture.
(b) The nature of changing language.
(c) The essence of spiritual existence.
(d) The meaning of life.
4. Which city has supposedly languished and deteriorated, forgotten by the earth?
5. Which city is described as having buildings with spiral staircases and with spiral seashells encrusted in the staircases?
Short Answer Questions
1. Anastasia is described as being full of precious and mundane objects such as:
2. When the people of Chloe pass each other in the street, what do they do?
3. Which city is a gray stone metropolis with a large metal building in the center?
4. Whenever the emperor is in a good mood and says how splendid his empire is, he wants to know why Polo:
5. When the emperor and the traveler grow quiet in order to reflect on what was just said, the emperor sometimes:
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kublai Khan listen to Marco Polo's fantastic stories about cities he's visited?
2. How do the cities described by Polo in Chapter 8 depict confusion?
3. Khan and Polo each envision model cities. From these models, what are the two men able to deduce?
4. Describe the gods in the two religions of Isaura.
5. When Polo suggests to Khan that the garden where they share stories may exist only in their minds and that, in reality, they may still be traveling, what does the emperor say?
6. Why does Polo say that it is best to visit Diomira on a September evening?
7. Who lives in the underground city of Eusapia, and who has access to it?
8. In what significant way is Argia different from all other cities Polo describes?
9. Briefly describe Kublai Khan's atlases.
10. What does Polo come to realize about language in Hypatia?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)