|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which city is a gray stone metropolis with a large metal building in the center?
2. Which of these is not a city described by Polo in Chapter 2?
3. The people of Valdrada know their actions are repeated:
(a) By actors performing in monthly plays.
(b) By their descendents.
(c) In a parallel dimension.
(d) In the mirror image of the lake.
4. At times, Polo and Khan sit quietly to:
(a) Ponder the conversation.
(b) Listen to the wind chimes.
(c) Wait for food to be brought to them.
(d) Allow the assistants to speak.
5. At Euphemia, how many different nations gather to trade?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Polo first communicates with Khan, the emperor is able to:
2. Which city do visitors consider to be a trap?
3. Khan's messengers advise him on the price of:
4. What does Polo's recollection of the city of Zirma include?
5. If a traveler walks into Zemrude with his head held down by grief, how will he see the city?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Polo says that one cannot forget the city of Zora.
2. What special ability does the mirror image of Valdrada possess?
3. Khan and Polo each envision model cities. From these models, what are the two men able to deduce?
4. What is the significance of the large metal building located at the center of Fedora?
5. What does Polo come to realize about language in Hypatia?
6. What does Polo not know about Armilla?
7. Why does Polo say its pointless to try to describe the city of Zaira?
8. When Khan and Polo pause in between their conversations, pondering the meaning of what's been said, what does each imagine or visualize?
9. Describe the city of Zenobia.
10. How does the information provided to Khan by his other messengers differ from what Polo shares?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)