|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the emperor tells Polo that he's dreamed up a city and describes it, what does Polo reply?
(a) He asks to not be interrupted again.
(b) It's the most fantastic city Polo has ever heard of.
(c) It's the city Polo was just describing.
(d) He praises the emperor's wit and imagination.
2. Anastasia is described as being full of precious and mundane objects such as:
(a) Onyx and agate.
(b) Gold and sea stones.
(c) Turquoise and tin.
(d) Silver and shells.
3. Which city is a gray stone metropolis with a large metal building in the center?
4. When Polo first communicates with Khan, the emperor is able to:
(a) Understand everything completely.
(b) Comprehend his unusual accent.
(c) Look interested despite being bored.
(d) Decipher his signs.
5. If a traveler walks into Zemrude with his head held high, how does he see the city?
(a) From below.
(b) Directly in front.
(c) Through a mist.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was the city on pilings built so high off the ground?
2. Who tells Polo in Hypatia that, "signs form a language, but not the one you know."
3. Khan tells Polo about his dreams of a city where the farewells from its harbor are what?
4. What does Polo's recollection of the city of Zirma include?
5. Where do the people of Isaura find water?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Polo say that it is best to visit Diomira on a September evening?
2. How does Polo describe the young women of Armilla?
3. Located 80 miles northwest of Zenobia, what is the city of Euphemia like?
4. Why does Kublai Khan listen to Marco Polo's fantastic stories about cities he's visited?
5. Khan and Polo each envision model cities. From these models, what are the two men able to deduce?
6. In Chapter 4, why does Polo dissect every city he describes to Khan?
7. How is Maurilia connected to its past?
8. Describe the gods in the two religions of Isaura.
9. What is it about Anastasia that it would make slaves of men?
10. How does Khan react to Polo's stories when he's feeling euphoric about his empire?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)