|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When families in Leandra move in to new houses, who follows them?
(c) Silent wanderers.
(d) Their protectors.
2. Worried about his own empire, Khan begins to dream of cities that are:
(a) Just starting to grow.
(b) Light as feathers and transparent.
(c) Protected by solid stone walls.
3. If someone wants to see the blueprint for the city of Thekla, what will he be told?
(a) To come back after the working day.
(b) The blueprint was lost in a fire.
(c) The blueprint changes from one hour to the next.
(d) It is buried deep beneath the city.
4. What types of objects are found in Clarice's museums?
(a) Paintings of everything that has ever existed in the city.
(b) Nothing--the museums are empty.
(c) Only things of unsurpassed beauty.
(d) Random artifacts, such as baskets and urns.
5. As Polo studies the wood of Khan's chessboard, what does he point out?
(a) Its natural flaws.
(b) That they've not had dinner yet.
(c) Its rich red color.
(d) That it's getting late.
6. Octavia is full of:
(a) Ropes, chains, and catwalks.
(b) Translucent tents.
(c) Forgotten dreams.
(d) Towers, arches, and bells.
7. In Argia, what are the streets filled with?
8. What is Octavia known as?
(a) Home of the forgotten children.
(b) The spider-web city.
(c) The land of lost dreams.
(d) The city of mist.
9. The people of Baucis have:
(a) Incomparable courage and determination.
(b) Nothing left in their storage silos.
(c) Everything they need in the clouds.
(d) A desire to share their knowledge with their neighbors.
10. What happens to the city of Irene as one approaches it?
(a) It spins.
(b) It floats away.
(c) It changes.
(d) It vanishes.
11. What items from his travels does Polo spread at the feet of Khan in Chapter 8?
(a) A wooden box, a book, and a locket.
(b) A spear, a chess set, and a hat.
(c) A helmet, a seashell, a coconut, and a fan.
(d) A violin, a silk jacket, a bowl, and a feather.
12. Who are honored throughout Leonia?
(a) Clock makers.
(d) Street cleaners.
13. In Clarice, people take parts of the old city and use them in different ways for what?
(a) Creating tools for growing crops and hunting.
(b) Building the new city.
(c) Building musical instruments.
(d) Decorating their homes and gardens.
14. After the people of Ersilia move and the city is in ruins, what are left?
15. As the two men sit smoking their pipes, does Khan actually confront Polo?
(a) It's not clear whether this actually happens or Khan only imagines it.
(b) The whole sequence is just Khan's dream.
(c) No, Khan never confronts Polo.
(d) Yes, Khan definitely confronts Polo.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Khan question Polo's motives for travel?
2. In Trude, only the name of what changes?
3. In Chapter 8, Khan comes to realize that knowledge of his empire can be found in:
4. Someone in Thekla will see what?
5. When Polo finds Khan seated at a chessboard, what does the emperor invite Polo to do?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)