|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the furthest city to which Polo has ever traveled?
2. As Polo studies the wood of Khan's chessboard, what does he point out?
(a) Its rich red color.
(b) That it's getting late.
(c) Its natural flaws.
(d) That they've not had dinner yet.
3. Who are honored throughout Leonia?
(a) Street cleaners.
(c) Clock makers.
4. To make the passing from life to death less abrupt, what have the people of Eusapia done?
(a) Developed a system of surrounding the dying with laughter and merriment.
(b) Built an underground city identical to the one above ground.
(c) Developed a way for the living to accompany the dead halfway.
(d) Built special resonating chambers where the dead can still speak to the living.
5. In Clarice, people take parts of the old city and use them in different ways for what?
(a) Building the new city.
(b) Building musical instruments.
(c) Creating tools for growing crops and hunting.
(d) Decorating their homes and gardens.
6. As he travels through Adelma, what does Polo wonder?
(a) If those he encounters are real people or ghosts.
(b) Why there are more men than women there.
(c) Where all the children have gone to.
(d) If he resembles someone who is already dead to the people there.
7. What does Leonia do on a daily basis?
(a) Sends messages in bottles.
(b) Flies kites.
(c) Calibrates its clocks.
(d) Reinvents itself.
8. In Chapter 6, Polo claims that he's reached the point where, in the number of people he has known:
(a) The dead outnumber the living.
(b) He recalls all faces but few names.
(c) Very few are worth remembering.
(d) His friends outnumber his enemies.
9. When Polo describes a bridge made of stone, Khan wants to know:
(a) How many stones are in the bridge.
(b) Which stone supports the bridge.
(c) Whether the stones are rough or smooth.
(d) How large the stones are.
10. What does Khan dream his lands are filled with?
(a) The brightest, most beautiful people.
(b) Innovative architecture.
(c) Promise and rich growth.
(d) Gold, silver, and bronze.
11. The houses in Argia are filled with what?
(c) Tea pots.
12. Looking at Argia from above, what does one see?
(b) Green rooftops.
13. If a traveler to Thekla asks why the construction is never done, what answer will he hear?
(a) In order to confuse the spirits.
(b) Nobody knows why.
(c) They are waiting for the architect to return.
(d) So that the destruction can't start.
14. When Khan travels to visit Kin-sai, what does Polo do?
(a) Congratulates him.
(b) Warns him not to go.
(c) Accompanies him.
(d) Stays behind.
15. Khan wonders why Polo never speaks of:
(a) His past studies.
(d) His family.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 8, Khan comes to realize that knowledge of his empire can be found in:
2. What is Esmeralda layered with?
3. Leandra is protected by two species, both of which are:
4. In Esmeralda, who moves through the sewers with the rats?
5. When one listens to the ground in Argia, what does one hear?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)