|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Polo says that Clarice is:
(a) A glorious city with a tormented history.
(b) The future capital of the empire.
(c) The most normal city he's ever visited.
(d) A city of madmen and silent children.
2. In Eusapia, what is there really is no way of knowing anymore?
(a) Whether or not the dead truly are communicating with the living.
(b) Who is alive and who is dead.
(c) How long the city has existed.
(d) How long its underground counterpart has existed.
3. When families in Leandra move in to new houses, who follows them?
(b) Their protectors.
(c) Silent wanderers.
4. Why does Khan wonder when Polo actually has time to travel to far-off cities?
(a) Polo is too busy writing down his travel accounts.
(b) Polo is too busy with his job of head counselor.
(c) It appears Polo has never moved from Khan's garden.
(d) He frequently spots Polo entertaining friends in Khan's city.
5. As the two men sit smoking their pipes, does Khan actually confront Polo?
(a) No, Khan never confronts Polo.
(b) The whole sequence is just Khan's dream.
(c) It's not clear whether this actually happens or Khan only imagines it.
(d) Yes, Khan definitely confronts Polo.
6. Who are honored throughout Leonia?
(a) Street cleaners.
(d) Clock makers.
7. Each person in Melania is what?
(a) Tested at the age of five.
(b) Born into a role.
(c) Expected to understand existence.
(d) Regarded as both mother and father to everyone else.
8. Esmeralda is known as the city of what?
9. What does Khan dream his lands are filled with?
(a) Innovative architecture.
(b) Gold, silver, and bronze.
(c) The brightest, most beautiful people.
(d) Promise and rich growth.
10. The form of the city of Eudoxia is preserved in a carpet. When someone who is lost stares at this carpet, what happens?
(a) One becomes hopelessly lost.
(b) A guide appears to lead the lost sojourner home.
(c) One enters a state of deep sleep.
(d) The carpet reveals the exact street on which one stands.
11. In Chapter 5, as Khan sits in his palace visualizing the growth of his empire, what does he see?
(a) Warriors from the west coming to fight for his empire.
(b) More innovations coming from his empire's brightest minds.
(c) Overpopulation leading to famine and disease.
(d) Conquered territories spreading further into other regions.
12. If a traveler to Thekla asks why the construction is never done, what answer will he hear?
(a) In order to confuse the spirits.
(b) So that the destruction can't start.
(c) Nobody knows why.
(d) They are waiting for the architect to return.
13. When Polo finds Khan seated at a chessboard, what does the emperor invite Polo to do?
(a) Teach him how to play the game.
(b) Have a cup of tea while Khan finishes his game.
(c) Use the chess pieces to describe cities he has visited.
(d) Sit and play a game with him.
14. When Khan tells Polo that he's dreamed of a city bathed in the light of the moon, what does Polo say?
(a) It is called Lalage.
(b) This describes most cities Polo has seen.
(c) Such a city would be a lonely place.
(d) He dreamed of such as city, too.
15. What does Polo say that Pyrrha represents for him?
(a) All the cities he's never seen.
(b) The ultimate in decadence.
(c) The perfect city.
(d) The picture of his childhood dreams.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Polo lands at the furthest city to which he's ever traveled, he arrives when?
2. What does Leonia do on a daily basis?
3. In Chapter 8, Khan comes to realize that knowledge of his empire can be found in:
4. What is at the center of Moriana?
5. In Esmeralda, people can choose to travel by:
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)