|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Polo tells Khan that it is possible the whole world is covered with what?
(a) Gold and dust.
(b) Illusions and dreams.
(c) Wastelands and gardens.
(d) Hope and despair.
2. In Trude, only the name of what changes?
(a) Its man-made mountain.
(b) Its airport.
(c) Its hospital.
(d) Its lake.
3. The people of Lenia awaken each day and:
(a) Wash with unopened bars of soap.
(b) Check their clocks for accuracy.
(c) Make a pilgrimage to the beach.
(d) Ready their kites for flying.
4. In Eusapia, what is there really is no way of knowing anymore?
(a) Whether or not the dead truly are communicating with the living.
(b) How long its underground counterpart has existed.
(c) How long the city has existed.
(d) Who is alive and who is dead.
5. What is Octavia known as?
(a) The land of lost dreams.
(b) The city of mist.
(c) Home of the forgotten children.
(d) The spider-web city.
6. What do the people of Beersheba believe?
(a) They are living in a dream.
(b) They are descended from ancient gods.
(c) Their emperor favors Beersheba above all other cities.
(d) Another Beersheba exists, suspended in the heavens.
7. The houses in Argia are filled with what?
(a) Tea pots.
8. Polo says that Clarice is:
(a) A glorious city with a tormented history.
(b) The most normal city he's ever visited.
(c) The future capital of the empire.
(d) A city of madmen and silent children.
9. When Polo finds Khan seated at a chessboard, what does the emperor invite Polo to do?
(a) Use the chess pieces to describe cities he has visited.
(b) Have a cup of tea while Khan finishes his game.
(c) Sit and play a game with him.
(d) Teach him how to play the game.
10. What is one of Khan's biggest worries regarding his empire?
(a) Its people will grow disillusioned.
(b) It will be crushed under its own weight.
(c) It will be stolen from him.
(d) It will be forgotten by the rest of the world.
11. When one listens to the ground in Argia, what does one hear?
(a) A bell ring.
(b) A door slam.
(c) The sound of engines.
12. As Khan studies the wood of his chessboard, Polo begins to talk of:
(a) A field of sunflowers, ships, and children fast asleep.
(b) Tattoos, flowers, and men with beards.
(c) Elephants, strong winds, and sunsets.
(d) An ebony forest , docks, and women at windows.
13. After the people of Ersilia move and the city is in ruins, what are left?
14. The people in the city of Irene are:
15. Most inhabitants of Eudoxia believe that the pattern of its carpet is:
(a) Impossible to reproduce.
(b) Unparalleled in its complexity.
(c) Hopelessly baffling.
(d) Of divine origin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Esmeralda layered with?
2. The people of Adelma remind Polo of what?
3. What does Polo describe Eusapia as?
4. Someone in Thekla will see what?
5. The people of Baucis have:
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)