|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Trude, only the name of what changes?
(a) Its airport.
(b) Its hospital.
(c) Its man-made mountain.
(d) Its lake.
2. The people of Adelma remind Polo of what?
(a) Princes and princesses.
(b) Overstuffed toads.
(c) Spoiled children.
(d) Friends and relatives who have died.
3. What is Esmeralda layered with?
(a) Sturdy canvas covers of many colors.
(b) Terraces and rice fields.
(c) Stairs, landings, and bridges.
(d) Flower-covered windowsills and green rooftops.
4. What types of objects are found in Clarice's museums?
(a) Only things of unsurpassed beauty.
(b) Paintings of everything that has ever existed in the city.
(c) Random artifacts, such as baskets and urns.
(d) Nothing--the museums are empty.
5. Esmeralda is known as the city of what?
6. Octavia is full of:
(a) Translucent tents.
(b) Ropes, chains, and catwalks.
(c) Towers, arches, and bells.
(d) Forgotten dreams.
7. How does Melania's population renew itself?
(a) By being reborn and living multiple lives.
(b) Through the acting out of an ongoing dialogue.
(c) Through the annual "Festival of Renewal."
(d) By reciting vows at the start of each new year.
8. When Khan tells Polo that he's dreamed of a city bathed in the light of the moon, what does Polo say?
(a) This describes most cities Polo has seen.
(b) He dreamed of such as city, too.
(c) It is called Lalage.
(d) Such a city would be a lonely place.
9. When Polo lands at the furthest city to which he's ever traveled, he arrives when?
(a) At the start of the harvest.
(b) During the hour of the wholesale fish market.
(c) In the middle of the city's festival of light.
(d) At the solstice.
10. Polo says that Clarice is:
(a) The future capital of the empire.
(b) A city of madmen and silent children.
(c) The most normal city he's ever visited.
(d) A glorious city with a tormented history.
11. What does Khan dream his lands are filled with?
(a) The brightest, most beautiful people.
(b) Promise and rich growth.
(c) Gold, silver, and bronze.
(d) Innovative architecture.
12. When one listens to the ground in Argia, what does one hear?
(a) A door slam.
(c) A bell ring.
(d) The sound of engines.
13. How does Polo describe the city of Olinda?
(a) Like the billowing clouds of summer.
(b) Longing for a renewed version of itself.
(c) Like trees, it grows in concentric circles.
(d) Lonely, lovely, and lost.
14. What does Polo describe Eusapia as?
15. In Esmeralda, who moves through the sewers with the rats?
(a) Conspirators and smugglers.
(d) The cleaning crew.
Short Answer Questions
1. The houses in Argia are filled with what?
2. What is Octavia known as?
3. What items from his travels does Polo spread at the feet of Khan in Chapter 8?
4. Which of the following is not true about the city of Beersheba?
5. When Polo describes a bridge made of stone, Khan wants to know:
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)