|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When a traveler arrives at Phyllis, what does he decide to do?
(a) Relax in the public baths.
(b) Stay there for the rest of his life.
(c) Sleep by day and explore by night.
(d) Dance, sing, and eat.
2. As the two men sit smoking their pipes, does Khan actually confront Polo?
(a) No, Khan never confronts Polo.
(b) The whole sequence is just Khan's dream.
(c) It's not clear whether this actually happens or Khan only imagines it.
(d) Yes, Khan definitely confronts Polo.
3. What does Polo say that Pyrrha represents for him?
(a) The perfect city.
(b) The picture of his childhood dreams.
(c) The ultimate in decadence.
(d) All the cities he's never seen.
4. As Khan studies the wood of his chessboard, Polo begins to talk of:
(a) A field of sunflowers, ships, and children fast asleep.
(b) An ebony forest , docks, and women at windows.
(c) Elephants, strong winds, and sunsets.
(d) Tattoos, flowers, and men with beards.
5. In Eusapia, what is there really is no way of knowing anymore?
(a) Who is alive and who is dead.
(b) How long its underground counterpart has existed.
(c) How long the city has existed.
(d) Whether or not the dead truly are communicating with the living.
6. When one listens to the ground in Argia, what does one hear?
(b) A door slam.
(c) A bell ring.
(d) The sound of engines.
7. Who are honored throughout Leonia?
(b) Street cleaners.
(d) Clock makers.
8. How does Polo describe Moriana?
(a) A peaceful place with soft cushions and comfortable beds.
(b) A confounding city filled with smoke and mirrors.
(c) A beautiful city of coral and villas like glass aquariums.
(d) A refuge for the gentle and brokenhearted.
9. When Khan travels to visit Kin-sai, what does Polo do?
(a) Congratulates him.
(b) Warns him not to go.
(c) Accompanies him.
(d) Stays behind.
10. What types of objects are found in Clarice's museums?
(a) Random artifacts, such as baskets and urns.
(b) Only things of unsurpassed beauty.
(c) Paintings of everything that has ever existed in the city.
(d) Nothing--the museums are empty.
11. After the people of Ersilia move and the city is in ruins, what are left?
12. Esmeralda is known as the city of what?
13. Polo tells Khan that it is possible the whole world is covered with what?
(a) Illusions and dreams.
(b) Wastelands and gardens.
(c) Gold and dust.
(d) Hope and despair.
14. What is at the center of Moriana?
(a) An enormous hole plunging into the depths of the earth.
(b) A strange contraption that controls the thoughts of its residents.
(c) Nothing--the city only has front and back sides.
(d) It is hard to tell--there is too much smoke everywhere.
15. The houses in Argia are filled with what?
(d) Tea pots.
Short Answer Questions
1. Most inhabitants of Eudoxia believe that the pattern of its carpet is:
2. Leandra is protected by two species, both of which are:
3. Who are the Penates and the Lares?
4. Someone in Thekla will see what?
5. What is Esmeralda layered with?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)