|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Most inhabitants of Eudoxia believe that the pattern of its carpet is:
(a) Hopelessly baffling.
(b) Of divine origin.
(c) Impossible to reproduce.
(d) Unparalleled in its complexity.
2. What does Polo describe Eusapia as?
3. The people of Baucis have:
(a) A desire to share their knowledge with their neighbors.
(b) Everything they need in the clouds.
(c) Nothing left in their storage silos.
(d) Incomparable courage and determination.
4. Leandra is protected by two species, both of which are:
(a) Too tiny to be seen.
(b) Extraordinarily large and strong.
(c) Similar in appearance to wolves.
(d) Winged and armed with dart guns.
5. Who are the Penates and the Lares?
(a) The two species that protect the people of Leandra.
(b) The two main tribes of Ersilia.
(c) The ancestors of Melania's inhabitants.
(d) The guardians of Baucis.
6. What does Leonia do on a daily basis?
(a) Flies kites.
(b) Sends messages in bottles.
(c) Reinvents itself.
(d) Calibrates its clocks.
7. When one listens to the ground in Argia, what does one hear?
(a) The sound of engines.
(b) A bell ring.
(d) A door slam.
8. As Khan studies the wood of his chessboard, Polo begins to talk of:
(a) Elephants, strong winds, and sunsets.
(b) An ebony forest , docks, and women at windows.
(c) Tattoos, flowers, and men with beards.
(d) A field of sunflowers, ships, and children fast asleep.
9. What is Esmeralda layered with?
(a) Stairs, landings, and bridges.
(b) Terraces and rice fields.
(c) Flower-covered windowsills and green rooftops.
(d) Sturdy canvas covers of many colors.
10. Can the reader tell with certainty whether or not Polo's many cities actually exist?
(a) Only in a handful of cases.
(b) Yes, in most cases.
11. What is Octavia known as?
(a) Home of the forgotten children.
(b) The land of lost dreams.
(c) The spider-web city.
(d) The city of mist.
12. As he travels through Adelma, what does Polo wonder?
(a) Where all the children have gone to.
(b) If he resembles someone who is already dead to the people there.
(c) If those he encounters are real people or ghosts.
(d) Why there are more men than women there.
13. When Polo lands at the furthest city to which he's ever traveled, he arrives when?
(a) At the solstice.
(b) At the start of the harvest.
(c) During the hour of the wholesale fish market.
(d) In the middle of the city's festival of light.
14. In Chapter 8, Khan is on the verge of:
(a) Appointing a new emperor.
(b) A nervous breakdown.
(c) Understanding the rise and fall of a city.
(d) Growing impatient with Polo and his stories.
15. What does Khan dream his lands are filled with?
(a) Innovative architecture.
(b) The brightest, most beautiful people.
(c) Promise and rich growth.
(d) Gold, silver, and bronze.
Short Answer Questions
1. Polo says that Clarice is:
2. The form of the city of Eudoxia is preserved in a carpet. When someone who is lost stares at this carpet, what happens?
3. Who are honored throughout Leonia?
4. In Eusapia, what is there really is no way of knowing anymore?
5. In Trude, only the name of what changes?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)