|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Polo tells Khan that it is possible the whole world is covered with what?
(a) Wastelands and gardens.
(b) Gold and dust.
(c) Hope and despair.
(d) Illusions and dreams.
2. Polo lays assorted items at the feet of Khan and uses them for what?
(a) To impress the emperor with gifts from afar.
(b) To teach him the basics of trade.
(c) To pay for some of his travels.
(d) To explain the conditions of the empire.
3. What do the residents of Ersilia do?
(a) Tie strings around their trees.
(b) Stretch strings from the corners of their houses.
(c) Build fantastic stringed instuments.
(d) Hang strings from the their ceilings.
4. The houses in Argia are filled with what?
(c) Tea pots.
5. The people of Adelma remind Polo of what?
(a) Spoiled children.
(b) Princes and princesses.
(c) Friends and relatives who have died.
(d) Overstuffed toads.
6. To make the passing from life to death less abrupt, what have the people of Eusapia done?
(a) Built an underground city identical to the one above ground.
(b) Developed a way for the living to accompany the dead halfway.
(c) Built special resonating chambers where the dead can still speak to the living.
(d) Developed a system of surrounding the dying with laughter and merriment.
7. As Polo studies the wood of Khan's chessboard, what does he point out?
(a) That they've not had dinner yet.
(b) That it's getting late.
(c) Its rich red color.
(d) Its natural flaws.
8. In Argia, what are the streets filled with?
9. What do the people of Beersheba believe?
(a) Another Beersheba exists, suspended in the heavens.
(b) Their emperor favors Beersheba above all other cities.
(c) They are living in a dream.
(d) They are descended from ancient gods.
10. In Esmeralda, who moves through the sewers with the rats?
(b) The cleaning crew.
(d) Conspirators and smugglers.
11. Most inhabitants of Eudoxia believe that the pattern of its carpet is:
(a) Of divine origin.
(b) Impossible to reproduce.
(c) Unparalleled in its complexity.
(d) Hopelessly baffling.
12. When a traveler arrives at Phyllis, what does he decide to do?
(a) Relax in the public baths.
(b) Stay there for the rest of his life.
(c) Dance, sing, and eat.
(d) Sleep by day and explore by night.
13. Who are honored throughout Leonia?
(a) Clock makers.
(b) Street cleaners.
14. How does Polo describe Moriana?
(a) A beautiful city of coral and villas like glass aquariums.
(b) A confounding city filled with smoke and mirrors.
(c) A peaceful place with soft cushions and comfortable beds.
(d) A refuge for the gentle and brokenhearted.
15. Worried about his own empire, Khan begins to dream of cities that are:
(a) Protected by solid stone walls.
(c) Just starting to grow.
(d) Light as feathers and transparent.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Esmeralda, people can choose to travel by:
2. The people of Baucis have:
3. The people of Lenia awaken each day and:
4. Leandra is protected by two species, both of which are:
5. What is Esmeralda layered with?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)