|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Esmeralda layered with?
(a) Sturdy canvas covers of many colors.
(b) Terraces and rice fields.
(c) Flower-covered windowsills and green rooftops.
(d) Stairs, landings, and bridges.
2. After the people of Ersilia move and the city is in ruins, what are left?
3. In Clarice, people take parts of the old city and use them in different ways for what?
(a) Decorating their homes and gardens.
(b) Building musical instruments.
(c) Building the new city.
(d) Creating tools for growing crops and hunting.
4. In Trude, only the name of what changes?
(a) Its hospital.
(b) Its airport.
(c) Its lake.
(d) Its man-made mountain.
5. As Khan studies the wood of his chessboard, Polo begins to talk of:
(a) Elephants, strong winds, and sunsets.
(b) A field of sunflowers, ships, and children fast asleep.
(c) Tattoos, flowers, and men with beards.
(d) An ebony forest , docks, and women at windows.
6. What do the people of Beersheba believe?
(a) They are descended from ancient gods.
(b) Their emperor favors Beersheba above all other cities.
(c) Another Beersheba exists, suspended in the heavens.
(d) They are living in a dream.
7. Polo says that Clarice is:
(a) The most normal city he's ever visited.
(b) A city of madmen and silent children.
(c) A glorious city with a tormented history.
(d) The future capital of the empire.
8. Most inhabitants of Eudoxia believe that the pattern of its carpet is:
(a) Impossible to reproduce.
(b) Of divine origin.
(c) Unparalleled in its complexity.
(d) Hopelessly baffling.
9. Looking at Argia from above, what does one see?
(d) Green rooftops.
10. Who are honored throughout Leonia?
(a) Street cleaners.
(b) Clock makers.
11. Which of the following is not true about the city of Beersheba?
(a) Its people honor everything that represents Beersheba's heavenly counterpart.
(b) The most talented architects built the underground version of Beersheba.
(c) There are two projections of Beersheba.
(d) Residents highly regard the Beersheba that exists below.
12. In Argia, what are the streets filled with?
13. The strings of Ersilia come in different colors. What do these colors represent?
14. What is at the center of Moriana?
(a) An enormous hole plunging into the depths of the earth.
(b) A strange contraption that controls the thoughts of its residents.
(c) Nothing--the city only has front and back sides.
(d) It is hard to tell--there is too much smoke everywhere.
15. When Polo describes a bridge made of stone, Khan wants to know:
(a) How large the stones are.
(b) How many stones are in the bridge.
(c) Whether the stones are rough or smooth.
(d) Which stone supports the bridge.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 8, Khan is on the verge of:
2. What does a traveler arriving to Baucis see?
3. Polo lays assorted items at the feet of Khan and uses them for what?
4. What is Octavia known as?
5. In Esmeralda, who moves through the sewers with the rats?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)