|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Looking at Argia from above, what does one see?
(a) Green rooftops.
2. What does Leonia do on a daily basis?
(a) Sends messages in bottles.
(b) Flies kites.
(c) Calibrates its clocks.
(d) Reinvents itself.
3. In Chapter 8, Khan is on the verge of:
(a) Growing impatient with Polo and his stories.
(b) A nervous breakdown.
(c) Appointing a new emperor.
(d) Understanding the rise and fall of a city.
4. As the two men sit smoking their pipes, does Khan actually confront Polo?
(a) No, Khan never confronts Polo.
(b) The whole sequence is just Khan's dream.
(c) Yes, Khan definitely confronts Polo.
(d) It's not clear whether this actually happens or Khan only imagines it.
5. In Trude, only the name of what changes?
(a) Its lake.
(b) Its airport.
(c) Its hospital.
(d) Its man-made mountain.
6. When Khan travels to visit Kin-sai, what does Polo do?
(a) Stays behind.
(b) Congratulates him.
(c) Accompanies him.
(d) Warns him not to go.
7. Polo tells Khan that it is possible the whole world is covered with what?
(a) Hope and despair.
(b) Wastelands and gardens.
(c) Illusions and dreams.
(d) Gold and dust.
8. Which of the following is not true about the city of Beersheba?
(a) The most talented architects built the underground version of Beersheba.
(b) Residents highly regard the Beersheba that exists below.
(c) There are two projections of Beersheba.
(d) Its people honor everything that represents Beersheba's heavenly counterpart.
9. If a traveler to Thekla asks why the construction is never done, what answer will he hear?
(a) Nobody knows why.
(b) They are waiting for the architect to return.
(c) So that the destruction can't start.
(d) In order to confuse the spirits.
10. What items from his travels does Polo spread at the feet of Khan in Chapter 8?
(a) A helmet, a seashell, a coconut, and a fan.
(b) A wooden box, a book, and a locket.
(c) A spear, a chess set, and a hat.
(d) A violin, a silk jacket, a bowl, and a feather.
11. What does the hidden side of Moriana look like?
(a) A golden altar to the gods of light and darkness.
(b) A giant warehouse filled with travelers' broken dreams.
(c) An expanse of rusting sheet metal and pipes black with soot.
(d) A wasteland of jagged rocks and tortured souls.
12. When Polo lands at the furthest city to which he's ever traveled, he arrives when?
(a) During the hour of the wholesale fish market.
(b) In the middle of the city's festival of light.
(c) At the solstice.
(d) At the start of the harvest.
13. When Khan tells Polo that he's dreamed of a city bathed in the light of the moon, what does Polo say?
(a) It is called Lalage.
(b) He dreamed of such as city, too.
(c) This describes most cities Polo has seen.
(d) Such a city would be a lonely place.
14. When families in Leandra move in to new houses, who follows them?
(a) Their protectors.
(b) Silent wanderers.
15. When Polo finds Khan seated at a chessboard, what does the emperor invite Polo to do?
(a) Use the chess pieces to describe cities he has visited.
(b) Sit and play a game with him.
(c) Teach him how to play the game.
(d) Have a cup of tea while Khan finishes his game.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Khan dream his lands are filled with?
2. After the people of Ersilia move and the city is in ruins, what are left?
3. What does Polo say that Pyrrha represents for him?
4. What is at the center of Moriana?
5. In Esmeralda, people can choose to travel by:
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)