|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are honored throughout Leonia?
(a) Street cleaners.
(c) Clock makers.
2. Each person in Melania is what?
(a) Regarded as both mother and father to everyone else.
(b) Tested at the age of five.
(c) Expected to understand existence.
(d) Born into a role.
3. If a traveler to Thekla asks why the construction is never done, what answer will he hear?
(a) So that the destruction can't start.
(b) Nobody knows why.
(c) They are waiting for the architect to return.
(d) In order to confuse the spirits.
4. In Chapter 6, Polo claims that he's reached the point where, in the number of people he has known:
(a) He recalls all faces but few names.
(b) His friends outnumber his enemies.
(c) Very few are worth remembering.
(d) The dead outnumber the living.
5. When a traveler arrives at Phyllis, what does he decide to do?
(a) Stay there for the rest of his life.
(b) Dance, sing, and eat.
(c) Relax in the public baths.
(d) Sleep by day and explore by night.
6. The strings of Ersilia come in different colors. What do these colors represent?
7. What is one of Khan's biggest worries regarding his empire?
(a) It will be stolen from him.
(b) It will be crushed under its own weight.
(c) Its people will grow disillusioned.
(d) It will be forgotten by the rest of the world.
8. Esmeralda is known as the city of what?
9. What does Polo describe Eusapia as?
10. How does Polo describe Moriana?
(a) A confounding city filled with smoke and mirrors.
(b) A peaceful place with soft cushions and comfortable beds.
(c) A refuge for the gentle and brokenhearted.
(d) A beautiful city of coral and villas like glass aquariums.
11. When Polo lands at the furthest city to which he's ever traveled, he arrives when?
(a) During the hour of the wholesale fish market.
(b) At the start of the harvest.
(c) In the middle of the city's festival of light.
(d) At the solstice.
12. The houses in Argia are filled with what?
(b) Tea pots.
13. Polo lays assorted items at the feet of Khan and uses them for what?
(a) To teach him the basics of trade.
(b) To pay for some of his travels.
(c) To impress the emperor with gifts from afar.
(d) To explain the conditions of the empire.
14. Who are the Penates and the Lares?
(a) The two species that protect the people of Leandra.
(b) The ancestors of Melania's inhabitants.
(c) The guardians of Baucis.
(d) The two main tribes of Ersilia.
15. Most inhabitants of Eudoxia believe that the pattern of its carpet is:
(a) Of divine origin.
(b) Hopelessly baffling.
(c) Impossible to reproduce.
(d) Unparalleled in its complexity.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the furthest city to which Polo has ever traveled?
2. When Khan travels to visit Kin-sai, what does Polo do?
3. As the two men sit smoking their pipes, does Khan actually confront Polo?
4. Looking at Argia from above, what does one see?
5. As Polo studies the wood of Khan's chessboard, what does he point out?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)