|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Polo lands at the furthest city to which he's ever traveled, he arrives when?
(a) At the start of the harvest.
(b) In the middle of the city's festival of light.
(c) During the hour of the wholesale fish market.
(d) At the solstice.
2. When Khan travels to visit Kin-sai, what does Polo do?
(a) Accompanies him.
(b) Congratulates him.
(c) Stays behind.
(d) Warns him not to go.
3. Someone in Thekla will see what?
(a) Very little of the city.
(b) Rows of empty flower pots.
(c) A sea of signs.
(d) Shadows drifting overhead.
4. What does Leonia do on a daily basis?
(a) Flies kites.
(b) Reinvents itself.
(c) Sends messages in bottles.
(d) Calibrates its clocks.
5. In Eusapia, what is there really is no way of knowing anymore?
(a) How long the city has existed.
(b) How long its underground counterpart has existed.
(c) Whether or not the dead truly are communicating with the living.
(d) Who is alive and who is dead.
6. Can the reader tell with certainty whether or not Polo's many cities actually exist?
(b) Yes, in most cases.
(d) Only in a handful of cases.
7. Polo says that Clarice is:
(a) A glorious city with a tormented history.
(b) The future capital of the empire.
(c) The most normal city he's ever visited.
(d) A city of madmen and silent children.
8. When a traveler arrives at Phyllis, what does he decide to do?
(a) Relax in the public baths.
(b) Sleep by day and explore by night.
(c) Dance, sing, and eat.
(d) Stay there for the rest of his life.
9. What does a traveler arriving to Baucis see?
(a) Blue arches.
(b) Rope bridges.
(c) Golden stairs.
(d) Slender stilts.
10. What do the residents of Ersilia do?
(a) Stretch strings from the corners of their houses.
(b) Tie strings around their trees.
(c) Build fantastic stringed instuments.
(d) Hang strings from the their ceilings.
11. What does Polo describe Eusapia as?
12. Clarice is known for its cycle of death and rebirth and:
(a) Its yearly festival honoring the dead.
(b) Its adherence to the idea of reincarnation.
(c) Burning to the ground and rising from the ashes.
(d) Falling to ruin and being rebuilt.
13. In Trude, only the name of what changes?
(a) Its man-made mountain.
(b) Its airport.
(c) Its lake.
(d) Its hospital.
14. Who are honored throughout Leonia?
(a) Clock makers.
(b) Street cleaners.
15. The houses in Argia are filled with what?
(a) Tea pots.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Polo finds Khan seated at a chessboard, what does the emperor invite Polo to do?
2. What items from his travels does Polo spread at the feet of Khan in Chapter 8?
3. Most inhabitants of Eudoxia believe that the pattern of its carpet is:
4. What does Khan dream his lands are filled with?
5. What is one of Khan's biggest worries regarding his empire?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)