|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Khan accuses Polo of lying about the state of his empire, what does Polo say?
(a) If the emperor does not want to hear the truth, then Polo's travels and tales will end.
(b) He has embellished every story in order to make it more appealing for the emperor.
(c) He agrees the empire is sick and explains that is why he travels to the distant places.
(d) He insists that he has never, and never will, lie to the emperor.
2. As Kublai Khan listens to the reports of his envoys and tax collectors while walking through his garden, his messengers speak in languages that:
(a) Are understood only by members of royalty.
(b) He developed.
(c) He doesn't understand.
(d) They made up.
3. How does Polo describe the people of Chloe?
(a) They are most welcoming to newcomers.
(b) Great warriors train here.
(c) They are strangers to each other.
(d) Everyone here is a teacher of some type.
4. When Khan says that he has a model city in his mind, he explains that from that city, he can:
(a) Supply silk to the rest of his empire.
(b) Send Polo to every other city.
(c) Deduce all possible cities.
(d) Best rule his empire.
5. What city is found 80 miles northwest of Zenobia?
6. Which city has supposedly languished and deteriorated, forgotten by the earth?
7. When the people of Chloe pass each other in the street, what do they do?
(a) Bow deeply to each other.
(b) Imagine entire lives for each other.
(c) Picture each other wearing different clothes.
(d) Stop to exchange warm greetings.
8. Moving southward for three days from the city of Zaira, what city would one encounter?
9. Which city is a gray stone metropolis with a large metal building in the center?
10. When Marco Polo meets with Kublai Khan, he:
(a) Describes cities that he's visited during his travels.
(b) Asks for a leadership position in the empire.
(c) Is worried that Khan will not approve of his stories.
(d) Requests money to be able to continue his travels.
11. After Khan sends Polo on many missions, Polo learns:
(a) To become an expert negotiator.
(b) How to sail virtually any type of ship.
(c) The language of the Tartars.
(d) The cooking techniques of the Mongols.
12. Where is the city of Valdrada built?
(a) In a fertile valley.
(b) At the edge of a dense forest.
(c) On the top of a mesa.
(d) On the shores of a lake.
13. What does Polo see rising vertically in Armilla?
(a) Columns that hold nothing up.
(b) Pipes where the houses should be.
(c) Stacks of seashells.
(d) Tall, slender windmills.
14. Polo understands that when he has irritated Khan, the emperor will:
(a) Offer subtle cues that Polo needs to leave.
(b) Need to be left alone with his thoughts.
(c) Signal the conversation to end immediately.
(d) Get up and storm off.
15. Which city is described as a place where traitors are strung from lampposts and old men sit on docks, telling stories while mending fishing nets?
Short Answer Questions
1. Polo explains that if he describes Olivia as rich in products and profits, the emperor should realize that:
2. Polo describes a city with two forms of religion. In one, the gods live in a subterranean lake. In the other, the gods live where?
3. Polo states that Dorothea can be described by its canals, towers, people, and history, or how else?
4. When Polo speaks of a city, he speaks:
5. In Hypatia, when Polo wants to see the sultan at the palace, who is he allowed to question instead?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)