|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which is the city of a thousand wells, sitting above an underground lake?
2. Polo understands that when he has irritated Khan, the emperor will:
(a) Offer subtle cues that Polo needs to leave.
(b) Get up and storm off.
(c) Signal the conversation to end immediately.
(d) Need to be left alone with his thoughts.
3. Polo explains that the city Khan dreams of with the farewells from its harbor has one secret. What is it?
(a) Other cities bring their prisoners here.
(b) Its residents suffer from a rare, mysterious disease.
(c) It knows about departures but not returns.
(d) It is a phantom city born of nymphs' imaginations.
4. Of what use are Polo's tales to the emperor?
(a) To keep him from getting depressed.
(b) To serve as nothing more than entertainment.
(c) To keep him calm and stable in light of financial troubles.
(d) To help him connect to distant places he will never see.
5. At the beginning of Chapter 2, what do Khan's messengers warn of?
6. When the emperor tells Polo that he's dreamed up a city and describes it, what does Polo reply?
(a) He praises the emperor's wit and imagination.
(b) He asks to not be interrupted again.
(c) It's the city Polo was just describing.
(d) It's the most fantastic city Polo has ever heard of.
7. Which city do visitors consider to be a trap?
8. Khan tells Polo about his dreams of a city where the farewells from its harbor are what?
(a) Joyous and celebratory.
(d) Tearful but silent.
9. This peninsular city can be reached by ship or camel, revealing itself to travelers by both land and sea:
10. Polo wants to inform the emperor how much darkness is out there by focusing on:
(a) The debauchery of each region.
(b) Traitors and those who speak poison.
(c) Remnants of past glory.
(d) Small glimmers of light.
11. Someone traveling to Maurilia will be invited to what?
(a) Offer a gift to the city's ruler.
(b) Dine with the city's group of elders.
(c) Stay and relax for three days.
(d) Enjoy the current city while hearing of its past.
12. In order to really understand the language of Hypatia, what must Polo do?
(a) Learn a new set of written symbols.
(b) Better understand the hand gestures.
(c) Free himself from images.
(d) Spend at least two months there.
13. When he is quiet, what does Polo sometimes imagine?
(a) What life would be like had he not met the emperor.
(b) Being in the emperor's shoes.
(c) Answering the emperor's questions.
(d) Being in a far off land.
14. After the people of Chloe lock eyes with each other for a moment, what do they do?
(a) Invite each other for a visit.
(b) Move away without stopping.
(c) Approach to shake hands.
(d) Bow repeatedly.
15. As Kublai Khan listens to the reports of his envoys and tax collectors while walking through his garden, his messengers speak in languages that:
(a) He developed.
(b) He doesn't understand.
(c) They made up.
(d) Are understood only by members of royalty.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the city of Valdrada built?
2. What confuses Polo about Armilla?
3. Which city is a gray stone metropolis with a large metal building in the center?
4. What theme runs through Chapter 4 with regard to how Polo tells his tales?
5. Polo says that each action in Valdrada is inverted in:
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)