|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What city is found 80 miles northwest of Zenobia?
2. Which city is said to be between two deserts, one of sand and one of water?
3. Moving southward for three days from the city of Zaira, what city would one encounter?
4. In Armilla, what is one likely to catch a glimpse of?
(a) Young boys fishing with their bare hands in the river.
(b) Young women bathing in the many tubs and showers.
(c) Prayer flags fluttering from rooftops.
(d) Children flying colorful, dragon-shaped kites in the distance.
5. Which of these is not a city described by Polo in Chapter 2?
6. When he is quiet, what does Polo sometimes imagine?
(a) What life would be like had he not met the emperor.
(b) Being in the emperor's shoes.
(c) Answering the emperor's questions.
(d) Being in a far off land.
7. At Euphemia, how many different nations gather to trade?
8. Which is the city of perceptions and symbols, where items are valuable because of what they represent, not what they really are?
9. Polo wants to inform the emperor how much darkness is out there by focusing on:
(a) Remnants of past glory.
(b) The debauchery of each region.
(c) Small glimmers of light.
(d) Traitors and those who speak poison.
10. When Polo tells his tales while enjoying the evening breeze as he sits on a doorstep, what does he explain to Khan?
(a) This reminds him of a time from one of his past travels.
(b) The cool air clears his mind and keeps him awake.
(c) The setting they're in will affect how the tale is remembered.
(d) His traveling days may soon come to an end.
11. Polo explains that the city Khan dreams of with the farewells from its harbor has one secret. What is it?
(a) It knows about departures but not returns.
(b) Its residents suffer from a rare, mysterious disease.
(c) It is a phantom city born of nymphs' imaginations.
(d) Other cities bring their prisoners here.
12. Which city is a gray stone metropolis with a large metal building in the center?
13. Polo says that Zaira is defined by:
(a) Its people, who are exquisitely beautiful yet age too quickly.
(b) An imposing, gleaming white building in the central plaza.
(c) Its relationships between measurements of its space and the events of its past.
(d) The relationship between its people and the beautiful gardens they tend.
14. When Marco Polo meets with Kublai Khan, he:
(a) Is worried that Khan will not approve of his stories.
(b) Requests money to be able to continue his travels.
(c) Asks for a leadership position in the empire.
(d) Describes cities that he's visited during his travels.
15. Why was the city on pilings built so high off the ground?
(a) Because of high tides.
(b) Because the previous ruler was mad.
(c) For protection against seasonal floods.
(d) Nobody remembers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the people of Zenobia imagine when asked to describe a happy life?
2. According to Polo, what is found in half of Sophronia?
3. Where do the people of Isaura find water?
4. Whenever the emperor is in a good mood and says how splendid his empire is, he wants to know why Polo:
5. What does Polo's recollection of the city of Zirma include?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)