|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much did Crawford bet Lucas that his gun would not shoot?
2. What moment of the story does Charles think back to?
3. What type of gun does the sheriff think killed Lucas?
4. Why is Charles so worried about finding the body?
5. What does Charles make his friends while they wait?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why have southern black men not earned freedom in the south?
2. For what reason does Charles think Lucas was not lynched?
3. Why is Charles' father so angry?
4. Why do you think Lucas did not tell the full story in the first place?
5. Describe Crawford and Vinson's lumber business.
6. Why do you think Mr. Gowrie asks his sons to dig up Vince's grave?
7. How do Gavin and the Sheriff plan to catch Crawford?
8. Why does Gavin think Vinson Gowrie is buried in quicksand?
9. Why is Charles so interested in why the black worker is plowing the field?
10. Describe the Gowrie clan
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Intruder in the Dust is not only a southern Gothic novel, but it also crosses into other genres. What other genres does Faulkner use? What affect do these genre conventions have on the meaning of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Faulkner sets the novel in the fictional county of Yoknapatawpha. Do you think the county resembles any real life setting? Why do you think Faulkner has chosen to use a fictional county? What difference do you think it would make if he used a real county in Mississippi?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1940s. How does Faulkner express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novels meaning would change if it was set in today's society?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)