|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Charles so worried about finding the body?
2. Who does Gavin say has to give the black man the right to be free in the south?
3. Which one of the Gowrie clan is a draft dodger?
4. Which animals footprints does the sheriff discover?
5. What does Mr. Gowrie pull out from his undershirt?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Uncle Gavin's take on the civil rights struggle in the South?
2. Describe the Gowrie clan
3. In what way are the Gowrie's only a small step above black people?
4. Who does the sheriff think the man is who passed Charles on the road to the cemetery?
5. Why does the Sheriff think that Lucas could not of killed Vinson?
6. How does Aleck Sander show his bravery during the trip back from the cemetery?
7. Why does Gavin think Vinson Gowrie is buried in quicksand?
8. In chapter six, in what way does Charles' mother show that she is accepting the fact her son is growing up?
9. Why do you think Charles is so enraged by the behavior of the crowd?
10. What is different between the blacks in the north and the black in the south?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the story Charles thinks he owes Lucas a favor and there are also many references to the southern gentlemen code. What is the southern gentlemen code? In what way does Faulkner present the southern gentlemen code as a backward and damaging tradition? In what ways do you think the characters and setting would lose and gain from the breakdown of the code?
Essay Topic 2
Faulkner is a native of the area he writes about and adhering to the rule writers should always write about what they know. Do you think it is obvious that Faulkner was a native of Mississippi? What difference do you think it makes to the story? Are there any moments where you think Faulkner does not portray a character or setting so well? What affect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Closely consider at the novel's plot.
1) Identify the main plot points of the story. How do they work towards a final resolution?
2) How does Faulkner use character to further the plot?
3) How does Faulkner use dialogue to further the plot.
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)