|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who digs the grave?
2. Which one of the Gowrie clan is a draft dodger?
3. What people does Charles notice are not on the streets?
4. Who does Mr. Gowrie not want to dig up his son's grave?
5. Who digs up the grave?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Lucas did not tell the full story in the first place?
2. In what way does Faulkner portray Miss Habersham as a strong woman?
3. For what reason does Charles think Lucas was not lynched?
4. Describe the Gowrie clan
5. Why do you think Mr. Gowrie asks his sons to dig up Vince's grave?
6. Who does the sheriff think the man is who passed Charles on the road to the cemetery?
7. Why did the Gowrie's not lynch Lucas behind the store?
8. In chapter six, in what way does Charles' mother show that she is accepting the fact her son is growing up?
9. Why is Charles' father so angry?
10. Why do you think Charles is so enraged by the behavior of the crowd?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the relationship between Aleck and Charles. Do you think they are more friends than master and servant? What does that say about the changing racial attitudes in south at that time? How different do you think there relationship would of changed if they met again today?
Essay Topic 2
Faulkner uses stream of consciousness in his writing.
1) Describe what stream of consciousness is? What meaning does it bring to a novel?
2) Why do you think Faulkner uses stream of consciousness in Intruder in the Dust? How different would the novel be if he wrote in normal prose?
Essay Topic 3
Faulkner uses southern dialect. What meaning do you think Faulkner's use of dialect brings to the novel? Do you think the dialect is accurate? Why do you think some authors choose to use dialect while others choose not to? Which method do you think is better?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)