|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was wrong about the men not lynching during the day time?
2. Why does Charles think that Lucas was not lynched immediately?
3. What does Gavin say happens in early May?
4. Who is the youngest of the Gowrie boys?
5. Why does the sheriff think that Lucas did not kill Vinson?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Sheriff think that Lucas could not of killed Vinson?
2. Why is Charles' father so angry?
3. Why did the Gowrie's not lynch Lucas behind the store?
4. Why do you think Charles is so struck by Mr. Gowrie's grief?
5. Why do you think Charles is so enraged by the behavior of the crowd?
6. In chapter six, in what way does Charles' mother show that she is accepting the fact her son is growing up?
7. In what way does Faulkner portray Miss Habersham as a strong woman?
8. Why did Crawford kill Jake?
9. Why does Charles hold such respect for Miss Habersham?
10. In what way are the Gowrie's only a small step above black people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Intruder in the Dust is not only a southern Gothic novel, but it also crosses into other genres. What other genres does Faulkner use? What affect do these genre conventions have on the meaning of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Closely consider at the novel's plot.
1) Identify the main plot points of the story. How do they work towards a final resolution?
2) How does Faulkner use character to further the plot?
3) How does Faulkner use dialogue to further the plot.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Lucas's character. What is Lucas's character background? What is Lucas's motivation? Why do you think Faulkner specifically chose Lucas's character as the black victim?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)