|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How would Charles leave town?
2. What kind of animal does Mr. Edmunds invite Charles to hunt?
3. What county is Montgomery from?
4. What does Lucas want Charles to do?
5. What kind of hat does Lucas wear?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Uncle Gavin opinion on Lucas' request to dig up the dead body?
2. Describe the ride to the cemetery.
3. Why are the black prisoners so quiet the night Lucas is taken into the prison?
4. Why is Sheriff Hampton so reluctant to react to Charles story about the mule?
5. Why is Lucas not popular with white people in the town?
6. What is Charles' attitude towards his black servant Aleck Sander?
7. What is significant about the man on the mule in chapter four?
8. In what way does Charles show he is the epiphany of a southern gentleman in chapter four?
9. Describe how even in prison the white man is given precedent over the black man.
10. Describe Lucas's appearance.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Faulkner often hints at a divide between the North and South of America. Using one example in the book discuss how Faulkner shows this divide. What do you think caused this divide? Is the divide still there today?
Essay Topic 2
In what way does Falkner subvert stereotypes in this book? Take one character and discuss your first impression of that character? Does Faulkner challenge that first impression?
Essay Topic 3
Closely consider at the novel's plot.
1) Identify the main plot points of the story. How do they work towards a final resolution?
2) How does Faulkner use character to further the plot?
3) How does Faulkner use dialogue to further the plot.
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)