|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aleck hear coming toward them?
2. What day do they bury the murdered man?
3. What does Lucas lay on the bare cots?
4. Who does Lucas remind Charles of?
5. What is the name of the man Lucas has been accused of killing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the man on the mule in chapter four?
2. In what way are the Gowrie's only a small step above black people?
3. Describe Lucas's appearance.
4. Describe the painting in Lucas's cabin.
5. Why do the town think Lucas is guilty of the murder?
6. Why does Lucas want Charles to dig up Gowrie's body?
7. What is Uncle Gavin opinion on Lucas' request to dig up the dead body?
8. Describe what Charles remembers about Lucas from four years ago
9. In chapter six, in what way does Charles' mother show that she is accepting the fact her son is growing up?
10. In chapter six how does Uncle Gavin calm Charles down enough to take him to the cemetery?
Essay Topic 1
Faulkner foreshadows many of the events in the novel.
1) Define foreshadowing. What does foreshadowing give to a novel?
2) How do you think an author should use foreshadowing? Can it be under or overused?
3) Using two examples from the book discuss how Faulkner uses foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Faulkner uses stream of consciousness in his writing.
1) Describe what stream of consciousness is? What meaning does it bring to a novel?
2) Why do you think Faulkner uses stream of consciousness in Intruder in the Dust? How different would the novel be if he wrote in normal prose?
Essay Topic 3
Faulkner uses southern dialect. What meaning do you think Faulkner's use of dialect brings to the novel? Do you think the dialect is accurate? Why do you think some authors choose to use dialect while others choose not to? Which method do you think is better?
This section contains 1,539 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)