|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Charles buy the tobacco?
2. Who has the sheriff hired to look after Lucas?
3. What does Charles do when they hear the mule?
4. Why must they hide the truck when they reach the cemetery?
5. What does Charles do during breakfast?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the town think Lucas is guilty of the murder?
2. What is Charles' attitude towards his black servant Aleck Sander?
3. In what way does chapter five express the segregation between black and white people?
4. How does chapter five express Charles's need to come of age as a man?
5. In what way does Charles become obsessed by the incident?
6. In what way does chapter five show the importance of women in southern American life?
7. Why is Lucas not popular with white people in the town?
8. Why do you think Lucas does not discourage Gavin from giving him a version of his own story?
9. Why does Charles have trouble sleeping?
10. Why do you think Charles does not argue with Lucas when he pulls him from the water, even though he wants to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1940s. How does Faulkner express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novels meaning would change if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Faulkner's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 3
Faulkner uses stream of consciousness in his writing.
1) Describe what stream of consciousness is? What meaning does it bring to a novel?
2) Why do you think Faulkner uses stream of consciousness in Intruder in the Dust? How different would the novel be if he wrote in normal prose?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)