|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the sheriff think the towns people will not lynch during the day?
2. Why does Charles initially think he no longer owes Lucas a debt?
3. How are they going to transport the body back to the truck?
4. Where does Charles end up throwing the coins?
5. What does Aleck hear coming toward them?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how even in prison the white man is given precedent over the black man.
2. Why does Charles hold such respect for Miss Habersham?
3. Why do you think Charles does not argue with Lucas when he pulls him from the water, even though he wants to?
4. In what way does chapter five express the segregation between black and white people?
5. In what way in chapter five does Uncle Gavin take control of the situation?
6. Describe the Gowrie clan
7. Describe the painting in Lucas's cabin.
8. Who does the sheriff think the man is who passed Charles on the road to the cemetery?
9. How does chapter five express Charles's need to come of age as a man?
10. How is the sheriff proven wrong in chapter six?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using two examples to support your argument, discuss the following statement. The aggressive and sometimes confused attitude the white characters show towards Lucas is a response to his own proud attitude.
Essay Topic 2
Intruder in the Dust is part of the southern Gothic genre.
1) What are the conventions of the southern Gothic genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way does Intruder in the Dust subvert the southern Gothic genre?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Faulkner's writing style. How would you describe Faulkner's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Faulkner's style give to the story?
This section contains 1,585 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)