|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aleck offer Charles to help him out of the water?
2. What does Lucas get arrested for?
3. Why is the sheriff reluctant to do anything?
4. Who does Charles go home to speak to?
5. What does Lucas demand Charles does?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does chapter five show the importance of women in southern American life?
2. In what way in chapter five does Uncle Gavin take control of the situation?
3. Why is Lucas not popular with white people in the town?
4. In what way does Charles think Lucas is different?
5. What is the unwritten code of the south when a black man commits a crime against a white man?
6. Why do you think Lucas does not discourage Gavin from giving him a version of his own story?
7. In what way does Charles show he is the epiphany of a southern gentleman in chapter four?
8. Describe the painting in Lucas's cabin.
9. Describe Lucas's appearance.
10. What is significant about the man on the mule in chapter four?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Closely consider at the novel's plot.
1) Identify the main plot points of the story. How do they work towards a final resolution?
2) How does Faulkner use character to further the plot?
3) How does Faulkner use dialogue to further the plot.
Essay Topic 2
Intruder in the Dust is part of the southern Gothic genre.
1) What are the conventions of the southern Gothic genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way does Intruder in the Dust subvert the southern Gothic genre?
Essay Topic 3
Faulkner sets the novel in the fictional county of Yoknapatawpha. Do you think the county resembles any real life setting? Why do you think Faulkner has chosen to use a fictional county? What difference do you think it would make if he used a real county in Mississippi?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)