|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Lucas's wife?
2. Who does the Sheriff and Uncle Gavin want to sit out in front of the jail?
3. Where does Gavin take Charles?
4. How old was Charles when he first met Lucas?
5. What does Charles ask Aleck Sander to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Lucas does not discourage Gavin from giving him a version of his own story?
2. In what way does chapter five show the importance of women in southern American life?
3. In what way in chapter five does Uncle Gavin take control of the situation?
4. In what way does Charles think Lucas is different?
5. Why is Sheriff Hampton so reluctant to react to Charles story about the mule?
6. Describe Lucas's appearance.
7. Describe the ride to the cemetery.
8. Why is Lucas not popular with white people in the town?
9. How does Charles still know that he still owes Lucas a debt?
10. What is significant about the man on the mule in chapter four?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Faulkner uses southern dialect. What meaning do you think Faulkner's use of dialect brings to the novel? Do you think the dialect is accurate? Why do you think some authors choose to use dialect while others choose not to? Which method do you think is better?
Essay Topic 2
Intruder in the Dust is part of the southern Gothic genre.
1) What are the conventions of the southern Gothic genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way does Intruder in the Dust subvert the southern Gothic genre?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the story Charles thinks he owes Lucas a favor and there are also many references to the southern gentlemen code. What is the southern gentlemen code? In what way does Faulkner present the southern gentlemen code as a backward and damaging tradition? In what ways do you think the characters and setting would lose and gain from the breakdown of the code?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)