|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Charles initially think he no longer owes Lucas a debt?
2. Why must they hide the truck when they reach the cemetery?
3. What does Charles leave in the water?
4. Where does Gavin take Charles?
5. Who does Charles find his uncle speaking to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lucas's appearance.
2. In this chapter how does Faulkner show what he thinks is the main difference between men and women?
3. What is the unwritten code of the south when a black man commits a crime against a white man?
4. Why does Miss Habersham help Lucas out?
5. What is Uncle Gavin opinion on Lucas' request to dig up the dead body?
6. Why is Lucas not popular with white people in the town?
7. Describe what Charles remembers about Lucas from four years ago
8. Why does Charles have trouble sleeping?
9. In what way does chapter five express the segregation between black and white people?
10. How does Charles still know that he still owes Lucas a debt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using two examples to support your argument, discuss the following statement. The aggressive and sometimes confused attitude the white characters show towards Lucas is a response to his own proud attitude.
Essay Topic 2
Faulkner sets the novel in the fictional county of Yoknapatawpha. Do you think the county resembles any real life setting? Why do you think Faulkner has chosen to use a fictional county? What difference do you think it would make if he used a real county in Mississippi?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1940s. How does Faulkner express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novels meaning would change if it was set in today's society?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)