|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Aleck Sander eat his breakfast?
2. Why are the black prisoners afraid to make a noise?
3. Who drives Miss Habersham to the cemetery?
4. Where did Lucas have his gun when they found him standing over the dead man?
5. Who does Lucas order to pick the money up from the floor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Charles become so involved in the murder case?
2. Describe the painting in Lucas's cabin.
3. Describe how even in prison the white man is given precedent over the black man.
4. Why are the black prisoners so quiet the night Lucas is taken into the prison?
5. In what way does chapter five express the segregation between black and white people?
6. In this chapter how does Faulkner show what he thinks is the main difference between men and women?
7. How does chapter five express Charles's need to come of age as a man?
8. Describe what Charles remembers about Lucas from four years ago
9. Do you think it was unusual for a black man to invite a white boy back to his cabin?
10. Why is Sheriff Hampton so reluctant to react to Charles story about the mule?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the novel's characterization. How well drawn do you think Faulkner's characters are? Select one of the minor characters such as Mr. Gowrie and discuss how much you know about his background. In what ways does Faulkner provide the reader with information about that character?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1940s. How does Faulkner express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novels meaning would change if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Intruder in the Dust is part of the southern Gothic genre.
1) What are the conventions of the southern Gothic genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way does Intruder in the Dust subvert the southern Gothic genre?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)