Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Charles end up throwing the coins?
2. Who does Lucas remind Charles of?
3. Who does Charles go home to speak to?
4. Where does Lucas take Charles?
5. What kind of animal does Mr. Edmunds invite Charles to hunt?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Charles remembers about Lucas from four years ago
2. How do Gavin and the Sheriff plan to catch Crawford?
3. In what way does chapter five show the importance of women in southern American life?
4. Why does Charles have trouble sleeping?
5. Who does the sheriff think the man is who passed Charles on the road to the cemetery?
6. Why do you think Charles does not argue with Lucas when he pulls him from the water, even though he wants to?
7. In what way are the Gowrie's only a small step above black people?
8. Why do the people surrounding the jail quickly disperse when they arrive with the dead body?
9. Why do you think Lucas did not tell the full story in the first place?
10. What is Uncle Gavin opinion on Lucas' request to dig up the dead body?
Essay Topic 1
Faulkner uses stream of consciousness in his writing.
1) Describe what stream of consciousness is? What meaning does it bring to a novel?
2) Why do you think Faulkner uses stream of consciousness in Intruder in the Dust? How different would the novel be if he wrote in normal prose?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Lucas's character. What is Lucas's character background? What is Lucas's motivation? Why do you think Faulkner specifically chose Lucas's character as the black victim?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story and Faulkner? How does Faulkner use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)