|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Uncle Gavin and the Sheriff want the boys to do?
2. Who rides the horse from the truck to the cemetery?
3. Who does Charles meet for the first time when he climbs out of the water?
4. What does Charles notice about the roads?
5. What does Lucas lay on the bare cots?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Charles remembers about Lucas from four years ago
2. Why does Charles become so involved in the murder case?
3. What is significant about the man on the mule in chapter four?
4. Do you think Will Legate is a good choice to guard Lucas at such a dangerous time?
5. Describe Lucas's appearance.
6. Why do you think Lucas does not discourage Gavin from giving him a version of his own story?
7. Why does Lucas want Charles to dig up Gowrie's body?
8. In what way in chapter five does Uncle Gavin take control of the situation?
9. Why is Sheriff Hampton so reluctant to react to Charles story about the mule?
10. Describe the ride to the cemetery.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Faulkner sets the novel in the fictional county of Yoknapatawpha. Do you think the county resembles any real life setting? Why do you think Faulkner has chosen to use a fictional county? What difference do you think it would make if he used a real county in Mississippi?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Faulkner's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 3
Faulkner uses southern dialect. What meaning do you think Faulkner's use of dialect brings to the novel? Do you think the dialect is accurate? Why do you think some authors choose to use dialect while others choose not to? Which method do you think is better?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)