|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charles consider doing so he does not have to see Lucas lynched?
2. When is Charles afraid the the town folk will lynch Lucas?
3. Where does Aleck Sander eat his breakfast?
4. Where did Lucas have his gun when they found him standing over the dead man?
5. Why is the sheriff reluctant to do anything?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Gavin think Vinson Gowrie is buried in quicksand?
2. In what way does chapter five show the importance of women in southern American life?
3. Describe the ride to the cemetery.
4. Why do the people surrounding the jail quickly disperse when they arrive with the dead body?
5. Describe Lucas's appearance.
6. Why have southern black men not earned freedom in the south?
7. Why did the Gowrie's not lynch Lucas behind the store?
8. Do you think Will Legate is a good choice to guard Lucas at such a dangerous time?
9. In what way does Faulkner portray Miss Habersham as a strong woman?
10. Why is Charles' father so angry?
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story and Faulkner? How does Faulkner use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the story Charles thinks he owes Lucas a favor and there are also many references to the southern gentlemen code. What is the southern gentlemen code? In what way does Faulkner present the southern gentlemen code as a backward and damaging tradition? In what ways do you think the characters and setting would lose and gain from the breakdown of the code?
Essay Topic 3
Faulkner is a native of the area he writes about and adhering to the rule writers should always write about what they know. Do you think it is obvious that Faulkner was a native of Mississippi? What difference do you think it makes to the story? Are there any moments where you think Faulkner does not portray a character or setting so well? What affect does it have on the story?
This section contains 1,656 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)