|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Charles when he first met Lucas?
2. What does Charles do with the money when Lucas refuses it?
3. Who does the Sheriff and Uncle Gavin want to sit out in front of the jail?
4. What does Charles ask Aleck Sander to do?
5. Who do they find inside the coffin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Charles does not argue with Lucas when he pulls him from the water, even though he wants to?
2. In what way does chapter five show the importance of women in southern American life?
3. Why does Charles become so involved in the murder case?
4. What is significant about the man on the mule in chapter four?
5. In what way in chapter five does Uncle Gavin take control of the situation?
6. Describe Lucas's appearance.
7. What is Uncle Gavin opinion on Lucas' request to dig up the dead body?
8. Do you think Will Legate is a good choice to guard Lucas at such a dangerous time?
9. What is the unwritten code of the south when a black man commits a crime against a white man?
10. How does chapter five express Charles's need to come of age as a man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using two examples to support your argument, discuss the following statement. The aggressive and sometimes confused attitude the white characters show towards Lucas is a response to his own proud attitude.
Essay Topic 2
Examine Lucas's character. What is Lucas's character background? What is Lucas's motivation? Why do you think Faulkner specifically chose Lucas's character as the black victim?
Essay Topic 3
Intruder in the Dust is not only a southern Gothic novel, but it also crosses into other genres. What other genres does Faulkner use? What affect do these genre conventions have on the meaning of the story?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)