|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of job did Montgomery have?
2. Who does Charles wake up when he gets home?
3. What does Charles say Will is reading?
4. What does the rider have on the horse with him?
5. Who does Charles meet for the first time when he climbs out of the water?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Charles does not argue with Lucas when he pulls him from the water, even though he wants to?
2. In what way does chapter five show the importance of women in southern American life?
3. In what way does Charles become obsessed by the incident?
4. In what way does Charles show he is the epiphany of a southern gentleman in chapter four?
5. Why does Charles become so involved in the murder case?
6. Describe the painting in Lucas's cabin.
7. What is significant about the man on the mule in chapter four?
8. Why do the town think Lucas is guilty of the murder?
9. What is Charles' attitude towards his black servant Aleck Sander?
10. What is Uncle Gavin opinion on Lucas' request to dig up the dead body?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using two examples to support your argument, discuss the following statement. The aggressive and sometimes confused attitude the white characters show towards Lucas is a response to his own proud attitude.
Essay Topic 2
Intruder in the Dust is part of the southern Gothic genre.
1) What are the conventions of the southern Gothic genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way does Intruder in the Dust subvert the southern Gothic genre?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1940s. How does Faulkner express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novels meaning would change if it was set in today's society?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)