|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Charles ride into town with to see Lucas?
2. What kind of job did Montgomery have?
3. Who do they find inside the coffin?
4. What does Uncle Gavin and the Sheriff want the boys to do?
5. Where does Aleck Sander eat his breakfast?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Charles have trouble sleeping?
2. Why does Charles become so involved in the murder case?
3. Why do you think Lucas does not discourage Gavin from giving him a version of his own story?
4. In what way does Charles think Lucas is different?
5. What is Charles' attitude towards his black servant Aleck Sander?
6. Describe Lucas's appearance.
7. In what way does Charles become obsessed by the incident?
8. Why do you think Charles does not argue with Lucas when he pulls him from the water, even though he wants to?
9. What is significant about the man on the mule in chapter four?
10. Why is Lucas not popular with white people in the town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1940s. How does Faulkner express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novels meaning would change if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story and Faulkner? How does Faulkner use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Faulkner uses stream of consciousness in his writing.
1) Describe what stream of consciousness is? What meaning does it bring to a novel?
2) Why do you think Faulkner uses stream of consciousness in Intruder in the Dust? How different would the novel be if he wrote in normal prose?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)