|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Charles end up throwing the coins?
2. Who does Lucas remind Charles of?
3. Who does Charles go home to speak to?
4. Where does Lucas take Charles?
5. What kind of animal does Mr. Edmunds invite Charles to hunt?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Charles remembers about Lucas from four years ago
2. How do Gavin and the Sheriff plan to catch Crawford?
3. In what way does chapter five show the importance of women in southern American life?
4. Why does Charles have trouble sleeping?
5. Who does the sheriff think the man is who passed Charles on the road to the cemetery?
6. Why do you think Charles does not argue with Lucas when he pulls him from the water, even though he wants to?
7. In what way are the Gowrie's only a small step above black people?
8. Why do the people surrounding the jail quickly disperse when they arrive with the dead body?
9. Why do you think Lucas did not tell the full story in the first place?
10. What is Uncle Gavin opinion on Lucas' request to dig up the dead body?
Essay Topic 1
Intruder in the Dust is part of the southern Gothic genre.
1) What are the conventions of the southern Gothic genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way does Intruder in the Dust subvert the southern Gothic genre?
Essay Topic 2
Closely consider at the novel's plot.
1) Identify the main plot points of the story. How do they work towards a final resolution?
2) How does Faulkner use character to further the plot?
3) How does Faulkner use dialogue to further the plot.
Essay Topic 3
Faulkner uses southern dialect. What meaning do you think Faulkner's use of dialect brings to the novel? Do you think the dialect is accurate? Why do you think some authors choose to use dialect while others choose not to? Which method do you think is better?
This section contains 1,539 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)