|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Will Legate armed with?
2. Where does Aleck Sander eat his breakfast?
3. Who does Lucas remind Charles of?
4. How did Lucas once react to an insult from a white man?
5. What does Lucas want Charles to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. In this chapter how does Faulkner show what he thinks is the main difference between men and women?
2. Why is Sheriff Hampton so reluctant to react to Charles story about the mule?
3. In what way does chapter five show the importance of women in southern American life?
4. Describe how even in prison the white man is given precedent over the black man.
5. Do you think it was unusual for a black man to invite a white boy back to his cabin?
6. In what way does Charles become obsessed by the incident?
7. How does Charles still know that he still owes Lucas a debt?
8. Why does Miss Habersham help Lucas out?
9. What is the unwritten code of the south when a black man commits a crime against a white man?
10. Why is Lucas not popular with white people in the town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Faulkner is a native of the area he writes about and adhering to the rule writers should always write about what they know. Do you think it is obvious that Faulkner was a native of Mississippi? What difference do you think it makes to the story? Are there any moments where you think Faulkner does not portray a character or setting so well? What affect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Faulkner's writing style. How would you describe Faulkner's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Faulkner's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Intruder in the Dust is part of the southern Gothic genre.
1) What are the conventions of the southern Gothic genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way does Intruder in the Dust subvert the southern Gothic genre?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)