|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do they find inside the coffin?
2. Who is the sheriff bringing to jail?
3. How do the character know the grave has been disturbed?
4. Who has the sheriff hired to look after Lucas?
5. Where does Aleck Sander eat his breakfast?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the black prisoners so quiet the night Lucas is taken into the prison?
2. What is Charles' attitude towards his black servant Aleck Sander?
3. Do you think it was unusual for a black man to invite a white boy back to his cabin?
4. Why do you think Lucas does not discourage Gavin from giving him a version of his own story?
5. Describe Lucas's appearance.
6. Describe what Charles remembers about Lucas from four years ago
7. Why is Lucas not popular with white people in the town?
8. How does Charles still know that he still owes Lucas a debt?
9. Describe the painting in Lucas's cabin.
10. In what way in chapter five does Uncle Gavin take control of the situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way does Falkner subvert stereotypes in this book? Take one character and discuss your first impression of that character? Does Faulkner challenge that first impression?
Essay Topic 2
Using two examples to support your argument, discuss the following statement. The aggressive and sometimes confused attitude the white characters show towards Lucas is a response to his own proud attitude.
Essay Topic 3
Faulkner uses stream of consciousness in his writing.
1) Describe what stream of consciousness is? What meaning does it bring to a novel?
2) Why do you think Faulkner uses stream of consciousness in Intruder in the Dust? How different would the novel be if he wrote in normal prose?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)