|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Charles wake up when he gets home?
2. Where does Charles buy the tobacco?
3. What does Lucas send to Charles in return for Charles sending his wife a dress?
4. Who is the sheriff bringing to jail?
5. Why can Charles not take the car?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Miss Habersham help Lucas out?
2. Why do the town think Lucas is guilty of the murder?
3. In what way does Charles think Lucas is different?
4. What is significant about the man on the mule in chapter four?
5. Do you think it was unusual for a black man to invite a white boy back to his cabin?
6. Why does Charles have trouble sleeping?
7. Why do you think Charles does not argue with Lucas when he pulls him from the water, even though he wants to?
8. Why are the black prisoners so quiet the night Lucas is taken into the prison?
9. What is Uncle Gavin opinion on Lucas' request to dig up the dead body?
10. What is Charles' attitude towards his black servant Aleck Sander?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Faulkner is a native of the area he writes about and adhering to the rule writers should always write about what they know. Do you think it is obvious that Faulkner was a native of Mississippi? What difference do you think it makes to the story? Are there any moments where you think Faulkner does not portray a character or setting so well? What affect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Faulkner often hints at a divide between the North and South of America. Using one example in the book discuss how Faulkner shows this divide. What do you think caused this divide? Is the divide still there today?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Faulkner's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)