|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the Lucas's wife sit?
2. What is the name of Lucas's wife?
3. What is the sheriff doing when they arrive at his house?
4. What is Will Legate armed with?
5. What does Uncle Gavin and the Sheriff want the boys to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think it was unusual for a black man to invite a white boy back to his cabin?
2. How does chapter five express Charles's need to come of age as a man?
3. How does Charles still know that he still owes Lucas a debt?
4. Why are the black prisoners so quiet the night Lucas is taken into the prison?
5. Why is Sheriff Hampton so reluctant to react to Charles story about the mule?
6. What is significant about the man on the mule in chapter four?
7. In what way does Charles become obsessed by the incident?
8. Why do you think Lucas does not discourage Gavin from giving him a version of his own story?
9. Describe the painting in Lucas's cabin.
10. In what way does Charles think Lucas is different?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the relationship between Aleck and Charles. Do you think they are more friends than master and servant? What does that say about the changing racial attitudes in south at that time? How different do you think there relationship would of changed if they met again today?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Faulkner's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 3
Closely consider at the novel's plot.
1) Identify the main plot points of the story. How do they work towards a final resolution?
2) How does Faulkner use character to further the plot?
3) How does Faulkner use dialogue to further the plot.
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)