Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Charles end up throwing the coins?
2. Who does Lucas remind Charles of?
3. Who does Charles go home to speak to?
4. Where does Lucas take Charles?
5. What kind of animal does Mr. Edmunds invite Charles to hunt?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Charles remembers about Lucas from four years ago
2. How do Gavin and the Sheriff plan to catch Crawford?
3. In what way does chapter five show the importance of women in southern American life?
4. Why does Charles have trouble sleeping?
5. Who does the sheriff think the man is who passed Charles on the road to the cemetery?
6. Why do you think Charles does not argue with Lucas when he pulls him from the water, even though he wants to?
7. In what way are the Gowrie's only a small step above black people?
8. Why do the people surrounding the jail quickly disperse when they arrive with the dead body?
9. Why do you think Lucas did not tell the full story in the first place?
10. What is Uncle Gavin opinion on Lucas' request to dig up the dead body?
Faulkner uses southern dialect. What meaning do you think Faulkner's use of dialect brings to the novel? Do you think the dialect is accurate? Why do you think some authors choose to use dialect while others choose not to? Which method do you think is better?
Examine the relationship between Aleck and Charles. Do you think they are more friends than master and servant? What does that say about the changing racial attitudes in south at that time? How different do you think there relationship would of changed if they met again today?
Examine Lucas's character. What is Lucas's character background? What is Lucas's motivation? Why do you think Faulkner specifically chose Lucas's character as the black victim?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)