|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charles notice about the roads?
2. When does Will Legate join the group at the sheriff's house?
3. What does Charles buy Molly Beauchamp?
4. How are they going to transport the body back to the truck?
5. How did Lucas once react to an insult from a white man?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Lucas does not discourage Gavin from giving him a version of his own story?
2. In what way does Charles think Lucas is different?
3. Describe Lucas's appearance.
4. Do you think it was unusual for a black man to invite a white boy back to his cabin?
5. What is significant about the man on the mule in chapter four?
6. Why do the town think Lucas is guilty of the murder?
7. Why do you think Charles does not argue with Lucas when he pulls him from the water, even though he wants to?
8. Describe the ride to the cemetery.
9. Why does Miss Habersham help Lucas out?
10. What is Uncle Gavin opinion on Lucas' request to dig up the dead body?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
William Faulkner is a American writer responsible for some of the greatest American novels of the 20th century. Examine Faulkner's life. What kind of upbringing did he have? What kind of education? What were the major themes of his work?Why do you think Faulkner's novels were so relevant in the mid twentieth century and continue to be relevant today?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Faulkner's writing style. How would you describe Faulkner's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Faulkner's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Faulkner's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)