|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lucas send to Charles in return for Charles sending his wife a dress?
2. What does Uncle Gavin say a black man is expected to do in the south?
3. Who does Charles wake up when he gets home?
4. How are they going to transport the body back to the truck?
5. What does Lucas want Charles to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the unwritten code of the south when a black man commits a crime against a white man?
2. Why does Lucas want Charles to dig up Gowrie's body?
3. Why is Sheriff Hampton so reluctant to react to Charles story about the mule?
4. Describe what Charles remembers about Lucas from four years ago
5. Describe the ride to the cemetery.
6. How does Charles still know that he still owes Lucas a debt?
7. Why does Charles become so involved in the murder case?
8. Do you think it was unusual for a black man to invite a white boy back to his cabin?
9. Why does Charles have trouble sleeping?
10. Describe the painting in Lucas's cabin.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
William Faulkner is a American writer responsible for some of the greatest American novels of the 20th century. Examine Faulkner's life. What kind of upbringing did he have? What kind of education? What were the major themes of his work?Why do you think Faulkner's novels were so relevant in the mid twentieth century and continue to be relevant today?
Essay Topic 2
Faulkner uses stream of consciousness in his writing.
1) Describe what stream of consciousness is? What meaning does it bring to a novel?
2) Why do you think Faulkner uses stream of consciousness in Intruder in the Dust? How different would the novel be if he wrote in normal prose?
Essay Topic 3
Intruder in the Dust is not only a southern Gothic novel, but it also crosses into other genres. What other genres does Faulkner use? What affect do these genre conventions have on the meaning of the story?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)