|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What age had Charles's mother sworn she would allow her son coffee?
2. Who is the name of the one armed man?
(b) Mr. Gowrie
(c) Charles's father
(d) Mr. Smith
3. Who did Crawford sell his lumber to?
(a) David Bean
(b) Charles' father
(c) Jake Montgomerie
(d) Sudley Workitt
4. Who ends up riding the horse home?
(d) Miss Habersham
5. How many sets of footprints are there?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the sheriff find in the ditch?
2. Who follow the footprints on horseback?
3. What people does Charles notice are not on the streets?
4. Why does Charles think the men have gathered around the jail?
5. What does Gavin say lynching Lucas would now amount to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is different between the blacks in the north and the black in the south?
2. Why is Charles so interested in why the black worker is plowing the field?
3. Why is Charles' father so angry?
4. Why do you think Charles is so enraged by the behavior of the crowd?
5. How do Gavin and the Sheriff plan to catch Crawford?
6. Why do you think Lucas did not tell the full story in the first place?
7. Why have southern black men not earned freedom in the south?
8. In what way are the Gowrie's only a small step above black people?
9. How does Aleck Sander show his bravery during the trip back from the cemetery?
10. Describe Crawford and Vinson's lumber business.
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)