|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who digs up the grave?
(a) The black prisoners
(b) Mr. Gowrie's sons
(c) The sherrif
(d) Mr Gowrie
2. What does Lucas want while he sits in the car?
(a) A knife
(b) A woman
(c) His pistol
(d) A magazine
3. What still might happen to Lucas if he is found guilty?
(a) He could hang
(b) He could be put on the electric chair
(c) He could have his hands chopped off
(d) He could be sentenced for life
4. What does Charles see a black man doing in a field?
(b) Shooting a white man
5. Who sits in the car with Sheriff Hampton?
(b) Aleck Sander
(c) Two black prisoners
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the sheriff find in the ditch?
2. Who did Crawford sell his lumber to?
3. What type of gun does the sheriff think killed Lucas?
4. What does Gavin say lynching Lucas would now amount to?
5. Where does Charles ride to with Gavin?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way are the Gowrie's only a small step above black people?
2. Why do you think Mr. Gowrie asks his sons to dig up Vince's grave?
3. Who does the sheriff think the man is who passed Charles on the road to the cemetery?
4. In what way does Faulkner portray Miss Habersham as a strong woman?
5. What is Uncle Gavin's take on the civil rights struggle in the South?
6. Why does Charles hold such respect for Miss Habersham?
7. Why does the Sheriff think that Lucas could not of killed Vinson?
8. Why do the people surrounding the jail quickly disperse when they arrive with the dead body?
9. Why did the Gowrie's not lynch Lucas behind the store?
10. In chapter six, in what way does Charles' mother show that she is accepting the fact her son is growing up?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)