|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the twins find in the pine coffin?
(d) A sack of potatoes
2. What still might happen to Lucas if he is found guilty?
(a) He could be put on the electric chair
(b) He could hang
(c) He could be sentenced for life
(d) He could have his hands chopped off
3. How many faces does Charles dream that the crowd has?
4. What moment of the story does Charles think back to?
(a) The trip to the cemetery
(b) His first meeting with Lucas
(c) A conversation with Aleck
(d) His breakfast that morning
5. Who did Crawford sell his lumber to?
(a) Charles' father
(b) David Bean
(c) Sudley Workitt
(d) Jake Montgomerie
Short Answer Questions
1. What people does Charles notice are not on the streets?
2. What does Charles see a black man doing in a field?
3. What does Charles make his friends while they wait?
4. What are the two women doing outside the jail?
5. Who does Gavin pick up from town?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Sheriff think that Lucas could not of killed Vinson?
2. Why is Charles so interested in why the black worker is plowing the field?
3. For what reason does Charles think Lucas was not lynched?
4. How do Gavin and the Sheriff plan to catch Crawford?
5. Why do you think Charles is so enraged by the behavior of the crowd?
6. Why do you think Charles is so struck by Mr. Gowrie's grief?
7. Describe the Gowrie clan
8. Who does the sheriff think the man is who passed Charles on the road to the cemetery?
9. Describe Crawford and Vinson's lumber business.
10. Why does Charles hold such respect for Miss Habersham?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)