|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first thing Charles does when he arrives home?
(a) He goes to the haybarn
(b) He makes a cup of coffee
(c) He runs up to his room
(d) He goes to the bathroom
2. What does Forrest Gowrie manage?
(a) A Ford car factory
(b) A delta cotton plantation
(c) A farm
(d) An orpanage
3. Why did Miss Habersham suggest they leave the horse?
(a) The horse is injured
(b) So they did not make so much noise
(c) So they could escape up a tree
(d) So no one had to ride alone
4. What does Lucas want while he sits in the car?
(a) A magazine
(b) A knife
(c) A woman
(d) His pistol
5. Who drives Miss Habersham to the jail?
(b) Uncle Gavin
(d) Sheriff Hampton
Short Answer Questions
1. What moment of the story does Charles think back to?
2. Who does Gavin say has to give the black man the right to be free in the south?
3. Where do the group find Vinson's body?
4. Who does Mr. Gowrie not want to dig up his son's grave?
5. What people does Charles notice are not on the streets?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Charles is so struck by Mr. Gowrie's grief?
2. Why did Crawford kill Jake?
3. What is different between the blacks in the north and the black in the south?
4. In chapter six how does Uncle Gavin calm Charles down enough to take him to the cemetery?
5. Who does the sheriff think the man is who passed Charles on the road to the cemetery?
6. Why is Charles so interested in why the black worker is plowing the field?
7. Why does Gavin think Vinson Gowrie is buried in quicksand?
8. Why do you think Mr. Gowrie asks his sons to dig up Vince's grave?
9. Why does Charles hold such respect for Miss Habersham?
10. How is the sheriff proven wrong in chapter six?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)