|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of Vinson's uncle?
(a) Frank Spencer
(b) Davis Gowrie
(c) Jackie Franklin
(d) Sudley Workitt
2. Why does Charles think that Lucas was not lynched immediately?
(a) Because they were not sure if he was the murderer
(b) Because they could not find any rope
(c) Because the family were grieving
(d) Because Mr. Gowrie is a patient man
3. Who sits in the car with Sheriff Hampton?
(a) Two black prisoners
(c) Aleck Sander
4. What does Gavin tell Charles never to stop doing?
(a) Fighting for his beliefs
(b) Learning about life
(c) Loving his family
(d) Going to school
5. Who drives Miss Habersham to the jail?
(b) Uncle Gavin
(d) Sheriff Hampton
Short Answer Questions
1. Who ends up riding the horse home?
2. What does Charles do after dinner?
3. Who does the sheriff say sold the gun to Crawford Gowrie?
4. Who is the oldest of the Gowrie clan?
5. Who does Gavin say is there to keep the crowd under control?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Crawford kill Jake?
2. Why have southern black men not earned freedom in the south?
3. Why do you think Charles is so struck by Mr. Gowrie's grief?
4. Describe the Gowrie clan
5. Why does Charles hold such respect for Miss Habersham?
6. How is the sheriff proven wrong in chapter six?
7. Why do you think Mr. Gowrie asks his sons to dig up Vince's grave?
8. What is different between the blacks in the north and the black in the south?
9. Why is Charles so interested in why the black worker is plowing the field?
10. For what reason does Charles think Lucas was not lynched?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)