|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What moment of the story does Charles think back to?
(a) A conversation with Aleck
(b) The trip to the cemetery
(c) His breakfast that morning
(d) His first meeting with Lucas
2. Where do the footprints end?
(a) At a house
(b) At a tree
(c) At a ditch
(d) At a river
3. Who does Gavin say is there to keep the crowd under control?
(a) A marshall
(c) The sheriff
(d) A judge
4. Where does Gavin say the black man is from?
(b) The North
5. Why does Charles think the men have gathered around the jail?
(a) To entertain the prisoners
(b) To preach
(c) To lynch Lucas
(d) To demonstrate against Lucas's arrest
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gavin tell Charles never to stop doing?
2. What kind of dogs are with the three men that appear from behind the church?
3. Who digs the grave?
4. What does Charles do after dinner?
5. Where does Uncle Gavin think Vinson's body has been buried?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Gowrie clan
2. How does Aleck Sander show his bravery during the trip back from the cemetery?
3. In what way are the Gowrie's only a small step above black people?
4. Why do the people surrounding the jail quickly disperse when they arrive with the dead body?
5. In chapter six, in what way does Charles' mother show that she is accepting the fact her son is growing up?
6. What is different between the blacks in the north and the black in the south?
7. Why did Crawford kill Jake?
8. How is the sheriff proven wrong in chapter six?
9. Why is Charles so interested in why the black worker is plowing the field?
10. Why do you think Charles is so struck by Mr. Gowrie's grief?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)