|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Gavin say is there to keep the crowd under control?
(a) A judge
(b) A marshall
(d) The sheriff
2. Who does Mr. Gowrie not want to dig up his son's grave?
(a) The sheriff
(d) The black prisoners
3. Why does Charles think his father is so angry?
(a) He has stomach cramps
(b) He is tired
(c) He is mean, bitter and racist
(d) He has no control over the situation
4. What does Lucas want while he sits in the car?
(a) A magazine
(b) His pistol
(c) A woman
(d) A knife
5. What does Mr. Gowrie do with his son's dead body?
(a) Buries it in the forest
(b) Throws it in to a lake
(c) Takes it home
(d) Burns it
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Crawford Gowrie live?
2. What are the two women doing outside the jail?
3. Who digs the grave?
4. Who does Gavin say has to give the black man the right to be free in the south?
5. Which brother did Vinson go into business with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Sheriff think that Lucas could not of killed Vinson?
2. Why do you think Charles is so enraged by the behavior of the crowd?
3. In what way does Faulkner portray Miss Habersham as a strong woman?
4. Why do the people surrounding the jail quickly disperse when they arrive with the dead body?
5. How does Aleck Sander show his bravery during the trip back from the cemetery?
6. What is Uncle Gavin's take on the civil rights struggle in the South?
7. In chapter six how does Uncle Gavin calm Charles down enough to take him to the cemetery?
8. Why is Charles' father so angry?
9. What is different between the blacks in the north and the black in the south?
10. Why did the Gowrie's not lynch Lucas behind the store?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)