|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who digs at the mound?
(b) The hound dog
(c) The twins
(d) The sheriff
2. Why is Charles so worried about finding the body?
(a) He is worried about what his mother will say
(b) He thinks the murderer is watching them
(c) He thinks the body will come alive
(d) He thinks it will have germs
3. What does Miss Habersham need while she is standing guard at the jail?
(a) Her baby
(b) Her shawl
(c) Her sewing
(d) Her book
4. Who sits in the car with Sheriff Hampton?
(b) Aleck Sander
(c) Two black prisoners
5. What does Charles make his friends while they wait?
(b) A pot of coffee
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing Charles does when he arrives home?
2. Where does Crawford Gowrie live?
3. What does Gavin say happens in early May?
4. Why did the Gowries not lynch Lucas?
5. How much did Crawford bet Lucas that his gun would not shoot?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Faulkner portray Miss Habersham as a strong woman?
2. Why is Charles' father so angry?
3. Describe Crawford and Vinson's lumber business.
4. Why do you think Charles is so struck by Mr. Gowrie's grief?
5. Why do you think Charles is so enraged by the behavior of the crowd?
6. Why do you think Lucas did not tell the full story in the first place?
7. How do Gavin and the Sheriff plan to catch Crawford?
8. Why have southern black men not earned freedom in the south?
9. Why does the Sheriff think that Lucas could not of killed Vinson?
10. Why did the Gowrie's not lynch Lucas behind the store?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)