|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of look does Charles think Lucas has in his eyes?
(a) Intolerable and inflexible
(b) Tired and experienced
(c) Sinful and cold
(d) Wise and humorous
2. What does Uncle Gavin and the Sheriff want the boys to do?
(a) Go to school
(b) Keep an eye on the cemetary
(c) Go home
(d) Keep an eye on Lucas
3. Who is the sheriff bringing to jail?
(a) Charles Mallison
(b) Carothers Edmunds
(c) Lucas Beachamp
(d) Gavin Stevens
4. What does Lucas get arrested for?
(a) Devil worship
(b) Shooting a local man
(c) Tax fraud
(d) Bank robbery
5. What do the black prisoners normally do?
(a) Stand at the window and call out
(b) Hit the bars with their metal plates
(c) Sing the blues
(d) Spit at passers by
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Sheriff's surname?
2. What does Charles ask Aleck Sander to do?
3. How much money does Charles try to give Lucas?
4. What does Paralee's father say men concentrate too much on?
5. When is Charles afraid the the town folk will lynch Lucas?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Charles become obsessed by the incident?
2. In what way does Charles show he is the epiphany of a southern gentleman in chapter four?
3. Why do you think Lucas does not discourage Gavin from giving him a version of his own story?
4. In what way does chapter five express the segregation between black and white people?
5. Why are the black prisoners so quiet the night Lucas is taken into the prison?
6. Why do you think Charles does not argue with Lucas when he pulls him from the water, even though he wants to?
7. Why does Miss Habersham help Lucas out?
8. Describe the painting in Lucas's cabin.
9. What is significant about the man on the mule in chapter four?
10. In what way does Charles think Lucas is different?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)