|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the sheriff doing when they arrive at his house?
(a) Eating breakfast
(b) Arranging a lynching
(c) Watching television
(d) Arguing with his wife
2. Where does Uncle Gavin tell Lucas he shot the man?
(a) In the kidney
(b) In the groin
(c) Between the eyes
(d) In the back
3. What does Paralee's father say men concentrate too much on?
4. Why is the sheriff reluctant to do anything?
(a) No one cares what happens to Lucas
(b) They do not know who the person on the mule was
(c) He does not want to anger the Goweries'
(d) It is a waste of public resources
5. Why are the black prisoners afraid to make a noise?
(a) Too much noise will set off a time bomb
(b) They may by mistaken for Lucas
(c) The sheriff is asleep
(d) They will not get fed
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charles do when they hear the mule?
2. On what day does Charles meet Lucas for the second time?
3. When does Gavin think they must wait until to dig up the body?
4. What does Lucas get arrested for?
5. Why does Charles initially think he no longer owes Lucas a debt?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the town think Lucas is guilty of the murder?
2. What is Uncle Gavin opinion on Lucas' request to dig up the dead body?
3. Why is Charles so interested in why the black worker is plowing the field?
4. Why does the Sheriff think that Lucas could not of killed Vinson?
5. Describe the painting in Lucas's cabin.
6. In what way does Faulkner portray Miss Habersham as a strong woman?
7. Why did Crawford kill Jake?
8. Describe the ride to the cemetery.
9. Why does Charles have trouble sleeping?
10. Why do you think Charles does not argue with Lucas when he pulls him from the water, even though he wants to?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)