|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who has the sheriff hired to look after Lucas?
(a) James Buff
(b) Frank Davis
(c) Will Legate
(d) Gavin Stevens
2. On what day does Charles meet Lucas for the second time?
3. What does Lucas demand Charles does?
(a) Warm himself by the fire
(b) Tell a joke
(c) Cook him dinner
(d) Talk to his wife
4. Where does Gavin take Charles?
(a) To the cemetery
(b) To the saloon
(c) To school
(d) To the sheriff's house
5. What does Uncle Gavin say a black man is expected to do in the south?
(a) Lose his temper and kill a white man
(b) Give himself up for lynching
(c) Serve the white man
(d) Smile and play music
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Charles's black servant?
2. What does Charles do during breakfast?
3. What does Aleck hear coming toward them?
4. Who does Charles find his uncle speaking to?
5. What is Will Legate armed with?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Aleck Sander show his bravery during the trip back from the cemetery?
2. Why does Miss Habersham help Lucas out?
3. Why do you think Charles does not argue with Lucas when he pulls him from the water, even though he wants to?
4. For what reason does Charles think Lucas was not lynched?
5. Why do you think Lucas did not tell the full story in the first place?
6. How does chapter five express Charles's need to come of age as a man?
7. In what way does Charles think Lucas is different?
8. What has happened to Jefferson now the excitement is over?
9. Describe Crawford and Vinson's lumber business.
10. What is significant about the man on the mule in chapter four?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)