|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Charles say Will is reading?
(a) Das Capital
(b) Dashiel Hammet
(c) A newsletter
(d) The funny papers
2. How old was Charles when he first met Lucas?
3. How would Charles leave town?
(a) Catch a train
(b) Ride away on his pony
(c) Take his father's car
4. Who does Charles wake up when he gets home?
(a) Uncle Gavin
(b) His father
(d) The sheriff
5. What is the Sheriff's surname?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Charles initially think he no longer owes Lucas a debt?
2. Why do they think that no one will lynch Lucas with Miss Habersham keeping guard?
3. What do the black prisoners normally do?
4. What does Charles do with the money when Lucas refuses it?
5. What day do they bury the murdered man?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Charles become so involved in the murder case?
2. Describe the painting in Lucas's cabin.
3. Why do the town think Lucas is guilty of the murder?
4. What is significant about the man on the mule in chapter four?
5. Why does Charles have trouble sleeping?
6. Why do you think Lucas does not discourage Gavin from giving him a version of his own story?
7. In what way does Charles think Lucas is different?
8. Why is Sheriff Hampton so reluctant to react to Charles story about the mule?
9. What is the unwritten code of the south when a black man commits a crime against a white man?
10. Do you think Will Legate is a good choice to guard Lucas at such a dangerous time?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)