|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Paralee's father say men concentrate too much on?
2. Where does the Lucas's wife sit?
(a) In a rocking chair by the fire
(b) On the table
(c) On the rug by the fire
(d) On a stool next to the stove
3. Who does Lucas order to pick the money up from the floor?
(b) Mr Edmonds
(d) The two black boys
4. What was Lucas buying from the shop before the altercation?
(a) Peanut butter
(b) A coca-cola
(c) Ginger snaps
(d) Raspberry Jelly
5. Where does Gavin take Charles?
(a) To the sheriff's house
(b) To school
(c) To the saloon
(d) To the cemetery
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the novel's narrator?
2. How do the character know the grave has been disturbed?
3. What is Will Legate armed with?
4. What does Charles say Will is reading?
5. What is the sheriff doing when they arrive at his house?
Short Essay Questions
1. In this chapter how does Faulkner show what he thinks is the main difference between men and women?
2. In what way in chapter five does Uncle Gavin take control of the situation?
3. What is Uncle Gavin opinion on Lucas' request to dig up the dead body?
4. Why do the town think Lucas is guilty of the murder?
5. Why are the black prisoners so quiet the night Lucas is taken into the prison?
6. What is the unwritten code of the south when a black man commits a crime against a white man?
7. Why do you think Lucas does not discourage Gavin from giving him a version of his own story?
8. What is Charles' attitude towards his black servant Aleck Sander?
9. Describe the ride to the cemetery.
10. Do you think it was unusual for a black man to invite a white boy back to his cabin?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)