|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why must they hide the truck when they reach the cemetery?
(a) In case the Gowries are near by
(b) The sheriff is guarding the grave
(c) It is an expensive truck
(d) The truck is stolen
2. Who was Miss Habersham raised with?
(b) Gavin Stevens
(c) Molly Beauchamp
(d) Luca Beachamp
3. What does Lucas get arrested for?
(a) Devil worship
(b) Tax fraud
(c) Shooting a local man
(d) Bank robbery
4. Where does Gavin take Charles?
(a) To the sheriff's house
(b) To school
(c) To the saloon
(d) To the cemetery
5. Where does Lucas take Charles?
(a) To the hospital
(b) To a saloon
(c) To Mr. Edmonds' house
(d) To his cabin
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Uncle Gavin and the Sheriff want the boys to do?
2. Why does the sheriff think the towns people will not lynch during the day?
3. How old was Charles when he first met Lucas?
4. How do the character know the grave has been disturbed?
5. What county is Montgomery from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think Will Legate is a good choice to guard Lucas at such a dangerous time?
2. Why is Sheriff Hampton so reluctant to react to Charles story about the mule?
3. How does Charles still know that he still owes Lucas a debt?
4. Why do the town think Lucas is guilty of the murder?
5. Why are the black prisoners so quiet the night Lucas is taken into the prison?
6. What is significant about the man on the mule in chapter four?
7. Why does Charles become so involved in the murder case?
8. Why do you think Lucas does not discourage Gavin from giving him a version of his own story?
9. In this chapter how does Faulkner show what he thinks is the main difference between men and women?
10. In what way does chapter five express the segregation between black and white people?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)