|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Charles do during breakfast?
(d) Falls asleep
2. Where does Aleck Sander eat his breakfast?
(a) The dining room
(b) The kitchen
(c) The dog house
(d) The garden
3. How did Lucas once react to an insult from a white man?
(a) He hit him
(b) He insulted him back
(c) He cried
(d) He shot him
4. What kind of animal does Mr. Edmunds invite Charles to hunt?
5. Who rides the horse from the truck to the cemetery?
(c) Miss Habersham
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Lucas order to pick the money up from the floor?
2. Who has the sheriff hired to look after Lucas?
3. Who does Charles go home to speak to?
4. When does Gavin think they must wait until to dig up the body?
5. When is Charles afraid the the town folk will lynch Lucas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the man on the mule in chapter four?
2. In what way does chapter five show the importance of women in southern American life?
3. Why does Charles become so involved in the murder case?
4. Why are the black prisoners so quiet the night Lucas is taken into the prison?
5. Why is Sheriff Hampton so reluctant to react to Charles story about the mule?
6. How does chapter five express Charles's need to come of age as a man?
7. How does Charles still know that he still owes Lucas a debt?
8. What is Charles' attitude towards his black servant Aleck Sander?
9. Describe the ride to the cemetery.
10. Why do the town think Lucas is guilty of the murder?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)