|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Will Legate join the group at the sheriff's house?
(a) 8 a.m.
(d) 10 a.m.
2. Why can Charles not take the car?
(a) His father has the keys
(b) It has no engine
(c) He cannot drive
(d) It has no wheels
3. Who does Charles ride into town with to see Lucas?
(a) The sheriff
(c) Uncle Gavin
4. Who does Lucas tell Charles he needs to speak to?
(a) His uncle
(c) His mother
(d) His father
5. What kind of animal does Mr. Edmunds invite Charles to hunt?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do they find inside the coffin?
2. On what day does Charles meet Lucas for the second time?
3. What is the name of the novel's narrator?
4. What does Charles realize when Lucas notices him?
5. What county is Montgomery from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the people surrounding the jail quickly disperse when they arrive with the dead body?
2. In what way does Charles become obsessed by the incident?
3. In chapter six, in what way does Charles' mother show that she is accepting the fact her son is growing up?
4. Why is Charles so interested in why the black worker is plowing the field?
5. Why do you think Mr. Gowrie asks his sons to dig up Vince's grave?
6. In what way does chapter five express the segregation between black and white people?
7. Why have southern black men not earned freedom in the south?
8. In what way does chapter five show the importance of women in southern American life?
9. For what reason does Charles think Lucas was not lynched?
10. Why did the Gowrie's not lynch Lucas behind the store?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)