|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the character know the grave has been disturbed?
(a) The flowers have been disturbed
(b) There are footprints
(c) The coffin is lying empty next to the grave
(d) There are fresh cigarette butts on the ground
2. What does Charles do when they hear the mule?
(a) Greets the mule and its rider cordially
(b) Asks who it is
(c) Drives off the road
(d) Shoots at the mule blindly
3. Where did Lucas have his gun when they found him standing over the dead man?
(a) In his pocket
(b) On the floor by his feet
(c) In his hand
(d) In the waistband of his pants
4. Why can Charles not take the car?
(a) It has no wheels
(b) It has no engine
(c) His father has the keys
(d) He cannot drive
5. What does Lucas lay on the bare cots?
(a) His jacket
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has the sheriff hired to look after Lucas?
2. What does Charles do with the money when Lucas refuses it?
3. On what day does Charles meet Lucas for the second time?
4. What does Lucas demand Charles does?
5. What kind of hat does Lucas wear?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Sheriff Hampton so reluctant to react to Charles story about the mule?
2. Why do you think Lucas does not discourage Gavin from giving him a version of his own story?
3. What is significant about the man on the mule in chapter four?
4. Describe Lucas's appearance.
5. Why does Charles have trouble sleeping?
6. Why do the town think Lucas is guilty of the murder?
7. Why does Lucas want Charles to dig up Gowrie's body?
8. In what way does chapter five express the segregation between black and white people?
9. Describe the ride to the cemetery.
10. Why are the black prisoners so quiet the night Lucas is taken into the prison?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)