|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the character know the grave has been disturbed?
(a) There are fresh cigarette butts on the ground
(b) The coffin is lying empty next to the grave
(c) The flowers have been disturbed
(d) There are footprints
2. On what day does Charles meet Lucas for the second time?
3. Why does Charles initially think he no longer owes Lucas a debt?
(a) Lucas is a black man
(b) Lucas is a criminal
(c) Lucas does not notice him
(d) He bought Molly a dress
4. What county is Montgomery from?
(a) Crossman county
(b) Tate county
(c) Jefferson county
(d) Neshoba county
5. What kind of look does Charles think Lucas has in his eyes?
(a) Wise and humorous
(b) Intolerable and inflexible
(c) Tired and experienced
(d) Sinful and cold
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charles say Will is reading?
2. Why does Lucas accept Gavin's story?
3. Where does Gavin take Charles?
4. How did Lucas once react to an insult from a white man?
5. What does Lucas get arrested for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the man on the mule in chapter four?
2. Describe the ride to the cemetery.
3. In what way does Charles think Lucas is different?
4. Why is Sheriff Hampton so reluctant to react to Charles story about the mule?
5. In what way does Charles become obsessed by the incident?
6. Describe the painting in Lucas's cabin.
7. Do you think Will Legate is a good choice to guard Lucas at such a dangerous time?
8. Why does Miss Habersham help Lucas out?
9. Describe how even in prison the white man is given precedent over the black man.
10. Why do you think Charles does not argue with Lucas when he pulls him from the water, even though he wants to?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)