|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the sheriff put Lucas in a cell usually reserved for white prisoners?
(a) To give him a good nights sleep
(b) Lucas has a white man's mind
(c) To tempt him into hanging himself
(d) He will be safer there
2. Who rides the horse from the truck to the cemetery?
(b) Miss Habersham
3. Why can Charles not take the car?
(a) It has no wheels
(b) He cannot drive
(c) It has no engine
(d) His father has the keys
4. How much money does Charles try to give Lucas?
(a) A dime
(b) 1 dollar
(c) 70 cents
(d) A quarter
5. What does Uncle Gavin say a black man is expected to do in the south?
(a) Smile and play music
(b) Lose his temper and kill a white man
(c) Serve the white man
(d) Give himself up for lynching
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Lucas tell Charles he needs to speak to?
2. What does Paralee's father say men concentrate too much on?
3. On what day does Charles meet Lucas for the second time?
4. What does Charles do with the money when Lucas refuses it?
5. Who drives Miss Habersham to the cemetery?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the town think Lucas is guilty of the murder?
2. Why is Sheriff Hampton so reluctant to react to Charles story about the mule?
3. Why do you think Charles does not argue with Lucas when he pulls him from the water, even though he wants to?
4. Describe the painting in Lucas's cabin.
5. Why does Charles have trouble sleeping?
6. In what way does Charles think Lucas is different?
7. What is significant about the man on the mule in chapter four?
8. How does Charles still know that he still owes Lucas a debt?
9. Why do you think Lucas does not discourage Gavin from giving him a version of his own story?
10. In what way does Charles become obsessed by the incident?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)