|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the man Lucas has been accused of killing?
(a) James Buff
(b) Jock Stevens
(c) Gavin Stevens
(d) Vinson Gowrie
2. How did Lucas once react to an insult from a white man?
(a) He cried
(b) He hit him
(c) He insulted him back
(d) He shot him
3. What do the black prisoners normally do?
(a) Spit at passers by
(b) Hit the bars with their metal plates
(c) Stand at the window and call out
(d) Sing the blues
4. How old was Charles when he first met Lucas?
5. What does Uncle Gavin say a black man is expected to do in the south?
(a) Give himself up for lynching
(b) Serve the white man
(c) Smile and play music
(d) Lose his temper and kill a white man
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Charles go home to speak to?
2. Who does Charles meet for the first time when he climbs out of the water?
3. What does Charles leave in the water?
4. What does Lucas demand Charles does?
5. What kind of animal does Mr. Edmunds invite Charles to hunt?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the man on the mule in chapter four?
2. Why does Charles hold such respect for Miss Habersham?
3. Why are the black prisoners so quiet the night Lucas is taken into the prison?
4. Why did the Gowrie's not lynch Lucas behind the store?
5. Why does Gavin think Vinson Gowrie is buried in quicksand?
6. What has happened to Jefferson now the excitement is over?
7. Why does the Sheriff think that Lucas could not of killed Vinson?
8. In what way in chapter five does Uncle Gavin take control of the situation?
9. In what way are the Gowrie's only a small step above black people?
10. In what way does chapter five express the segregation between black and white people?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)