|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What day do they bury the murdered man?
2. Where does Aleck Sander eat his breakfast?
(a) The kitchen
(b) The garden
(c) The dining room
(d) The dog house
3. What does Paralee's father say women concentrate on?
(d) Their children
4. Who rides the horse from the truck to the cemetery?
(d) Miss Habersham
5. What does Aleck hear coming toward them?
(a) A wheel barrel
(b) A mule
(c) A dog
(d) A car
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charles ask if he can take to Lucas?
2. Why does Lucas accept Gavin's story?
3. Who does Charles go home to speak to?
4. What does Lucas want Charles to do?
5. Why can Charles not take the car?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the Gowrie's not lynch Lucas behind the store?
2. What does the payment of debts in the novel symbolize?
3. Why do you think Charles is so enraged by the behavior of the crowd?
4. Why does Uncle Gavin feel he can take the moral high ground with Lucas?
5. Why is Charles' father so angry?
6. How does chapter five express Charles's need to come of age as a man?
7. What is Uncle Gavin's take on the civil rights struggle in the South?
8. How do Gavin and the Sheriff plan to catch Crawford?
9. Why have southern black men not earned freedom in the south?
10. Why do you think Lucas did not tell the full story in the first place?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)