|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Uncle Gavin say a black man is expected to do in the south?
(a) Give himself up for lynching
(b) Serve the white man
(c) Lose his temper and kill a white man
(d) Smile and play music
2. What does Uncle Gavin and the Sheriff want the boys to do?
(a) Go to school
(b) Keep an eye on Lucas
(c) Go home
(d) Keep an eye on the cemetary
3. Who was Miss Habersham raised with?
(a) Molly Beauchamp
(c) Luca Beachamp
(d) Gavin Stevens
4. What does Charles do during breakfast?
(b) Falls asleep
5. Who is the sheriff bringing to jail?
(a) Lucas Beachamp
(b) Charles Mallison
(c) Carothers Edmunds
(d) Gavin Stevens
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the sheriff phone to organize an exhumation order?
2. What do the black prisoners normally do?
3. What does the constable chain Lucas to?
4. What does Aleck offer Charles to help him out of the water?
5. Why do they think that no one will lynch Lucas with Miss Habersham keeping guard?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Charles think Lucas is different?
2. Why do you think Charles does not argue with Lucas when he pulls him from the water, even though he wants to?
3. Do you think it was unusual for a black man to invite a white boy back to his cabin?
4. Describe the painting in Lucas's cabin.
5. Describe what Charles remembers about Lucas from four years ago
6. Why does Lucas want Charles to dig up Gowrie's body?
7. Why does Charles have trouble sleeping?
8. What is the unwritten code of the south when a black man commits a crime against a white man?
9. In what way does chapter five express the segregation between black and white people?
10. Why does Charles become so involved in the murder case?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)