|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Aleck hear coming toward them?
(a) A wheel barrel
(b) A dog
(c) A mule
(d) A car
2. Where did Lucas have his gun when they found him standing over the dead man?
(a) In his pocket
(b) On the floor by his feet
(c) In his hand
(d) In the waistband of his pants
3. Why does Charles think Lucas does not talk to him the second time they meet in town?
(a) He is ignorant
(b) His wife has just died
(c) He does not like him
(d) He no longer owes him
4. Why does the sheriff put Lucas in a cell usually reserved for white prisoners?
(a) He will be safer there
(b) To tempt him into hanging himself
(c) To give him a good nights sleep
(d) Lucas has a white man's mind
5. What kind of wood is the coffin made from?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the sheriff reluctant to do anything?
2. Where does Lucas take Charles?
3. What does Charles do during breakfast?
4. What does Charles notice about the roads?
5. What is the Sheriff's surname?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Charles does not argue with Lucas when he pulls him from the water, even though he wants to?
2. How does chapter five express Charles's need to come of age as a man?
3. What is Charles' attitude towards his black servant Aleck Sander?
4. Why does Lucas want Charles to dig up Gowrie's body?
5. In what way does Charles think Lucas is different?
6. Describe how even in prison the white man is given precedent over the black man.
7. Why is Sheriff Hampton so reluctant to react to Charles story about the mule?
8. Describe the ride to the cemetery.
9. Do you think it was unusual for a black man to invite a white boy back to his cabin?
10. In what way does chapter five express the segregation between black and white people?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)