|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Charles do during breakfast?
(c) Falls asleep
2. When is Charles afraid the the town folk will lynch Lucas?
(a) When he is at his court hearing
(b) While he is chained to a bed post
(c) When the sheriff transfers him to his jail
(d) When he is released on bail
3. What is the name of Lucas's wife?
(c) Baby Suggs
4. What do the black prisoners normally do?
(a) Hit the bars with their metal plates
(b) Stand at the window and call out
(c) Sing the blues
(d) Spit at passers by
5. Who does the sheriff phone to organize an exhumation order?
(a) The district attourney
(b) The senator
(c) The president
(d) The local judge
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Charles wake up when he gets home?
2. What does Uncle Gavin and the Sheriff want the boys to do?
3. What is the name of the novel's narrator?
4. How do the character know the grave has been disturbed?
5. What kind of look does Charles think Lucas has in his eyes?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Charles show he is the epiphany of a southern gentleman in chapter four?
2. Why is Lucas not popular with white people in the town?
3. Why do the town think Lucas is guilty of the murder?
4. Describe the ride to the cemetery.
5. Do you think it was unusual for a black man to invite a white boy back to his cabin?
6. Why are the black prisoners so quiet the night Lucas is taken into the prison?
7. What is significant about the man on the mule in chapter four?
8. Why does Charles become so involved in the murder case?
9. Why do you think Charles does not argue with Lucas when he pulls him from the water, even though he wants to?
10. In what way does chapter five show the importance of women in southern American life?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)