|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the character know the grave has been disturbed?
(a) There are fresh cigarette butts on the ground
(b) The coffin is lying empty next to the grave
(c) The flowers have been disturbed
(d) There are footprints
2. Who does Charles wake up when he gets home?
(a) His father
(c) The sheriff
(d) Uncle Gavin
3. Who rides the horse from the truck to the cemetery?
(d) Miss Habersham
4. Where does Charles eat his breakfast?
(a) In the lounge
(b) In the kitchen
(c) In the dining room
(d) In the garden
5. Who does the Sheriff and Uncle Gavin want to sit out in front of the jail?
(a) Will Legate
(c) Miss Habersham
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the novel's narrator?
2. What does the constable chain Lucas to?
3. How old was Charles when he first met Lucas?
4. Who does Charles go home to speak to?
5. Where does the Lucas's wife sit?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how even in prison the white man is given precedent over the black man.
2. Why do you think Lucas does not discourage Gavin from giving him a version of his own story?
3. In this chapter how does Faulkner show what he thinks is the main difference between men and women?
4. How does Charles still know that he still owes Lucas a debt?
5. In what way does Charles show he is the epiphany of a southern gentleman in chapter four?
6. Describe Lucas's appearance.
7. Why do the town think Lucas is guilty of the murder?
8. Do you think it was unusual for a black man to invite a white boy back to his cabin?
9. In what way does Charles become obsessed by the incident?
10. Describe the painting in Lucas's cabin.
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)