|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Charles realize when Lucas notices him?
(a) He has a good memory
(b) He is guilty
(c) He still owes him a debt
(d) He is innocent
2. When does Will Legate join the group at the sheriff's house?
(a) 8 a.m.
(d) 10 a.m.
3. What make of gun does Lucas own?
(a) A Heckler and Koch
(c) A Colt .41
(d) A Remington
4. How did Lucas once react to an insult from a white man?
(a) He cried
(b) He shot him
(c) He insulted him back
(d) He hit him
5. What is Will Legate armed with?
(a) A revolver
(b) A sword
(c) A single shot shot gun
(d) A double barrel shotgun
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Charles buy the tobacco?
2. How do the character know the grave has been disturbed?
3. What is the name of Lucas's wife?
4. How would Charles leave town?
5. What kind of job did Montgomery have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Charles does not argue with Lucas when he pulls him from the water, even though he wants to?
2. In what way does chapter five show the importance of women in southern American life?
3. In what way does chapter five express the segregation between black and white people?
4. Describe Lucas's appearance.
5. Why do you think Lucas does not discourage Gavin from giving him a version of his own story?
6. Describe how even in prison the white man is given precedent over the black man.
7. Why does Charles become so involved in the murder case?
8. In what way does Charles show he is the epiphany of a southern gentleman in chapter four?
9. Describe the ride to the cemetery.
10. Why are the black prisoners so quiet the night Lucas is taken into the prison?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)