|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lucas send to Charles in return for Charles sending his wife a dress?
(a) Homemade sorghum molasses
(b) A train set
(c) Homemade corndogs
(d) A revolver
2. What does Uncle Gavin say a black man is expected to do in the south?
(a) Smile and play music
(b) Lose his temper and kill a white man
(c) Give himself up for lynching
(d) Serve the white man
3. Who does Charles wake up when he gets home?
(b) The sheriff
(c) His father
(d) Uncle Gavin
4. What is the Sheriff's surname?
5. Where does Charles eat his breakfast?
(a) In the kitchen
(b) In the lounge
(c) In the garden
(d) In the dining room
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Lucas order to pick the money up from the floor?
2. What does Aleck offer Charles to help him out of the water?
3. What was Lucas buying from the shop before the altercation?
4. What does Uncle Gavin and the Sheriff want the boys to do?
5. What does Charles notice about the roads?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the painting in Lucas's cabin.
2. How does Charles still know that he still owes Lucas a debt?
3. Describe what Charles remembers about Lucas from four years ago
4. In this chapter how does Faulkner show what he thinks is the main difference between men and women?
5. Describe the ride to the cemetery.
6. Why do the town think Lucas is guilty of the murder?
7. Do you think Will Legate is a good choice to guard Lucas at such a dangerous time?
8. Do you think it was unusual for a black man to invite a white boy back to his cabin?
9. Why are the black prisoners so quiet the night Lucas is taken into the prison?
10. What is Uncle Gavin opinion on Lucas' request to dig up the dead body?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)