|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are the black prisoners afraid to make a noise?
(a) Too much noise will set off a time bomb
(b) The sheriff is asleep
(c) They may by mistaken for Lucas
(d) They will not get fed
2. What does the constable chain Lucas to?
(a) The murder victim
(b) A car handle
(c) A railing
(d) A bed post
3. What does Charles notice about the roads?
(a) They have been resurfaced
(b) There is a long trail trail of blood
(c) They are empty of black people
(d) They are hilly
4. What day do they bury the murdered man?
5. What does Lucas get arrested for?
(a) Devil worship
(b) Bank robbery
(c) Shooting a local man
(d) Tax fraud
Short Answer Questions
1. How would Charles leave town?
2. What does Paralee's father say men concentrate too much on?
3. What is the Sheriff's surname?
4. Why does the sheriff put Lucas in a cell usually reserved for white prisoners?
5. Where does Uncle Gavin tell Lucas he shot the man?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Charles think Lucas is different?
2. In what way in chapter five does Uncle Gavin take control of the situation?
3. What is the unwritten code of the south when a black man commits a crime against a white man?
4. Why is Sheriff Hampton so reluctant to react to Charles story about the mule?
5. Describe what Charles remembers about Lucas from four years ago
6. What is Charles' attitude towards his black servant Aleck Sander?
7. Describe Lucas's appearance.
8. Why does Lucas want Charles to dig up Gowrie's body?
9. Do you think it was unusual for a black man to invite a white boy back to his cabin?
10. Why does Miss Habersham help Lucas out?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)