|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Paralee's father say men concentrate too much on?
2. Why must they hide the truck when they reach the cemetery?
(a) The sheriff is guarding the grave
(b) The truck is stolen
(c) In case the Gowries are near by
(d) It is an expensive truck
3. What does Lucas demand Charles does?
(a) Cook him dinner
(b) Tell a joke
(c) Talk to his wife
(d) Warm himself by the fire
4. Who drives Miss Habersham to the cemetery?
(a) The sheriff
5. What does Charles do when they hear the mule?
(a) Shoots at the mule blindly
(b) Drives off the road
(c) Asks who it is
(d) Greets the mule and its rider cordially
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lucas want Charles to do?
2. What make of gun does Lucas own?
3. Where does Charles eat his breakfast?
4. What does Charles consider doing so he does not have to see Lucas lynched?
5. What does Lucas get arrested for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think Will Legate is a good choice to guard Lucas at such a dangerous time?
2. In what way does Charles show he is the epiphany of a southern gentleman in chapter four?
3. Why is Sheriff Hampton so reluctant to react to Charles story about the mule?
4. In what way does chapter five show the importance of women in southern American life?
5. Why do the town think Lucas is guilty of the murder?
6. Do you think it was unusual for a black man to invite a white boy back to his cabin?
7. How does chapter five express Charles's need to come of age as a man?
8. Why is Lucas not popular with white people in the town?
9. In what way does chapter five express the segregation between black and white people?
10. Describe Lucas's appearance.
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)