|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Charles eat his breakfast?
(a) In the garden
(b) In the kitchen
(c) In the dining room
(d) In the lounge
2. Who does the Sheriff and Uncle Gavin want to sit out in front of the jail?
(b) Will Legate
(c) Miss Habersham
3. What does Lucas want Charles to do?
(a) Dig up Gowrie's body
(b) Help him escape
(c) Kill him
(d) Shoot the sheriff
4. Where does the Lucas's wife sit?
(a) On the table
(b) On a stool next to the stove
(c) On the rug by the fire
(d) In a rocking chair by the fire
5. Who rides the horse from the truck to the cemetery?
(c) Miss Habersham
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the black prisoners afraid to make a noise?
2. Why does Charles initially think he no longer owes Lucas a debt?
3. When is Charles afraid the the town folk will lynch Lucas?
4. What does Charles do with the money when Lucas refuses it?
5. What does Charles ask if he can take to Lucas?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think it was unusual for a black man to invite a white boy back to his cabin?
2. What is significant about the man on the mule in chapter four?
3. Why is Lucas not popular with white people in the town?
4. Why do you think Lucas does not discourage Gavin from giving him a version of his own story?
5. Why does Charles have trouble sleeping?
6. What is Uncle Gavin opinion on Lucas' request to dig up the dead body?
7. Describe Lucas's appearance.
8. Describe what Charles remembers about Lucas from four years ago
9. How does chapter five express Charles's need to come of age as a man?
10. Why do you think Charles does not argue with Lucas when he pulls him from the water, even though he wants to?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)