|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Charles wake up when he gets home?
(a) His father
(b) Uncle Gavin
(c) The sheriff
2. Who do they find inside the coffin?
(b) Vinson Gowrie
(d) The sheriff
3. Why does the sheriff think the towns people will not lynch during the day?
(a) It is too hot
(b) Too many people are around
(c) They have to work
(d) They can see each others faces
4. Where does Charles eat his breakfast?
(a) In the lounge
(b) In the dining room
(c) In the garden
(d) In the kitchen
5. How much money does Charles try to give Lucas?
(a) 70 cents
(b) A dime
(c) A quarter
(d) 1 dollar
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aleck hear coming toward them?
2. Where does Charles buy the tobacco?
3. Why must they hide the truck when they reach the cemetery?
4. Where does Aleck Sander eat his breakfast?
5. What does Uncle Gavin say is the unwritten code of the south?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Lucas not popular with white people in the town?
2. In what way in chapter five does Uncle Gavin take control of the situation?
3. Why does Lucas want Charles to dig up Gowrie's body?
4. Describe Lucas's appearance.
5. Why is Sheriff Hampton so reluctant to react to Charles story about the mule?
6. Why does Charles have trouble sleeping?
7. In what way does Charles think Lucas is different?
8. In what way does Charles become obsessed by the incident?
9. In what way does chapter five show the importance of women in southern American life?
10. Describe the ride to the cemetery.
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)