|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is Charles afraid the the town folk will lynch Lucas?
(a) While he is chained to a bed post
(b) When he is at his court hearing
(c) When he is released on bail
(d) When the sheriff transfers him to his jail
2. When does Gavin think they must wait until to dig up the body?
3. Where did Lucas have his gun when they found him standing over the dead man?
(a) In the waistband of his pants
(b) In his pocket
(c) In his hand
(d) On the floor by his feet
4. What day do they bury the murdered man?
5. Who does Lucas tell Charles he needs to speak to?
(a) His uncle
(b) His mother
(d) His father
6. What does Charles do during breakfast?
(c) Falls asleep
7. What kind of wood is the coffin made from?
8. Who has the sheriff hired to look after Lucas?
(a) Frank Davis
(b) Gavin Stevens
(c) James Buff
(d) Will Legate
9. What is the name of Charles's black servant?
(a) Ian Wright
(b) Paul Davis
(c) James Baldwin
(d) Aleck Sander
10. Who do they find inside the coffin?
(a) The sheriff
(d) Vinson Gowrie
11. Why are the black prisoners afraid to make a noise?
(a) The sheriff is asleep
(b) Too much noise will set off a time bomb
(c) They will not get fed
(d) They may by mistaken for Lucas
12. Who does Charles go home to speak to?
(a) Uncle Gavin
(c) His mother
(d) His father
13. What was Lucas buying from the shop before the altercation?
(a) A coca-cola
(b) Raspberry Jelly
(c) Peanut butter
(d) Ginger snaps
14. What does Charles ask Aleck Sander to do?
(a) Saddle up his horse
(b) Find some spades
(c) Get the car keys from his father
(d) Talk to Gavin
15. What is Will Legate armed with?
(a) A single shot shot gun
(b) A revolver
(c) A double barrel shotgun
(d) A sword
Short Answer Questions
1. What county is Montgomery from?
2. Who does Charles wake up when he gets home?
3. What is the name of the novel's narrator?
4. Who stops Lucas from from getting lynched?
5. What does Uncle Gavin say is the unwritten code of the south?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)