|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the sheriff phone to organize an exhumation order?
(a) The district attourney
(b) The senator
(c) The local judge
(d) The president
2. What does Charles say Will is reading?
(a) Dashiel Hammet
(b) Das Capital
(c) The funny papers
(d) A newsletter
3. Who has the sheriff hired to look after Lucas?
(a) James Buff
(b) Gavin Stevens
(c) Will Legate
(d) Frank Davis
4. What does Charles ask Aleck Sander to do?
(a) Saddle up his horse
(b) Talk to Gavin
(c) Find some spades
(d) Get the car keys from his father
5. Who does Charles ride into town with to see Lucas?
(b) Uncle Gavin
(c) The sheriff
6. What does Charles buy Molly Beauchamp?
(a) A gold bracelet
(b) An Alice band
(c) A diamond ring
(d) A flowered imitation silk dress
7. How would Charles leave town?
(a) Catch a train
(b) Ride away on his pony
(c) Take his father's car
8. Why can Charles not take the car?
(a) It has no engine
(b) His father has the keys
(c) He cannot drive
(d) It has no wheels
9. Who does Charles go home to speak to?
(b) His mother
(c) Uncle Gavin
(d) His father
10. Why is the sheriff reluctant to do anything?
(a) It is a waste of public resources
(b) He does not want to anger the Goweries'
(c) They do not know who the person on the mule was
(d) No one cares what happens to Lucas
11. Who stops Lucas from from getting lynched?
(a) The shopkeepers son
(b) The bar owner
(c) The blacksmith
(d) Miss Laney
12. When is Charles afraid the the town folk will lynch Lucas?
(a) While he is chained to a bed post
(b) When he is released on bail
(c) When the sheriff transfers him to his jail
(d) When he is at his court hearing
13. Why do they find the grave so quickly?
(a) It is biggest in the graveyard
(b) It was the first one dug that winter
(c) It is the only one with a headstone
(d) It is full of fresh flowers
14. What does Uncle Gavin say a black man is expected to do in the south?
(a) Smile and play music
(b) Give himself up for lynching
(c) Serve the white man
(d) Lose his temper and kill a white man
15. What kind of animal does Mr. Edmunds invite Charles to hunt?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the black prisoners afraid to make a noise?
2. What is Will Legate armed with?
3. Who does Lucas remind Charles of?
4. Where does the Lucas's wife sit?
5. When does Charles think the Gowries will go after Lucas?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)