|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who stops Lucas from from getting lynched?
(a) Miss Laney
(b) The blacksmith
(c) The bar owner
(d) The shopkeepers son
2. Where does Charles buy the tobacco?
(a) The tobbaconist
(b) The super market
(c) The pharmacy
(d) The saloon
3. Who does Charles go home to speak to?
(b) His father
(c) Uncle Gavin
(d) His mother
4. What does Charles do with the money when Lucas refuses it?
(a) Gives it to Aleck
(b) Swallows it
(c) Throws it on the floor
(d) Pockets it
5. Why does Lucas accept Gavin's story?
(a) Because he no longer wants to hire him
(b) Because he knows Gavin thinks he is guilty
(c) Because he is too tired to contradict him
(d) Because he knows he will die anyway
6. What does Paralee's father say women concentrate on?
(d) Their children
7. What does Lucas want Charles to do?
(a) Shoot the sheriff
(b) Help him escape
(c) Kill him
(d) Dig up Gowrie's body
8. What does Charles consider doing so he does not have to see Lucas lynched?
(a) Killing Lucas
(b) Locking himself in his room
(c) Leaving town
(d) Killing himself
9. When does Will Legate join the group at the sheriff's house?
(b) 8 a.m.
(d) 10 a.m.
10. How did Lucas once react to an insult from a white man?
(a) He hit him
(b) He shot him
(c) He cried
(d) He insulted him back
11. What does Charles buy Molly Beauchamp?
(a) A gold bracelet
(b) An Alice band
(c) A diamond ring
(d) A flowered imitation silk dress
12. What does Aleck offer Charles to help him out of the water?
(a) A boat
(b) A plank
(c) A pole
(d) A dingy
13. What does Uncle Gavin say is the unwritten code of the south?
(a) That white people are superior
(b) That life is for living
(c) That the family of the victim should be alllowed to hang the black man responsible
(d) That everyone should go to church
14. Who was Miss Habersham raised with?
(a) Molly Beauchamp
(b) Luca Beachamp
(c) Gavin Stevens
15. What kind of animal does Mr. Edmunds invite Charles to hunt?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do they find the grave so quickly?
2. What does Charles say Will is reading?
3. Why does the sheriff think the towns people will not lynch during the day?
4. What does Paralee's father say men concentrate too much on?
5. Who does Lucas remind Charles of?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)