|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of look does Charles think Lucas has in his eyes?
(a) Wise and humorous
(b) Tired and experienced
(c) Sinful and cold
(d) Intolerable and inflexible
2. Who has the sheriff hired to look after Lucas?
(a) James Buff
(b) Frank Davis
(c) Gavin Stevens
(d) Will Legate
3. What does Charles do when they hear the mule?
(a) Drives off the road
(b) Shoots at the mule blindly
(c) Asks who it is
(d) Greets the mule and its rider cordially
4. Why does the sheriff think the towns people will not lynch during the day?
(a) They can see each others faces
(b) Too many people are around
(c) It is too hot
(d) They have to work
5. What is the name of Charles's black servant?
(a) Paul Davis
(b) James Baldwin
(c) Ian Wright
(d) Aleck Sander
6. How much money does Charles try to give Lucas?
(a) 1 dollar
(b) A quarter
(c) 70 cents
(d) A dime
7. Where does Charles end up throwing the coins?
(a) Into the sea
(b) Down a well
(c) In the creek
(d) At Lucas
8. What does Lucas lay on the bare cots?
(a) His jacket
9. What is Will Legate armed with?
(a) A single shot shot gun
(b) A sword
(c) A double barrel shotgun
(d) A revolver
10. What does Uncle Gavin and the Sheriff want the boys to do?
(a) Go home
(b) Keep an eye on Lucas
(c) Keep an eye on the cemetary
(d) Go to school
11. Who does Charles ride into town with to see Lucas?
(b) Uncle Gavin
(d) The sheriff
12. Why does Lucas accept Gavin's story?
(a) Because he knows he will die anyway
(b) Because he knows Gavin thinks he is guilty
(c) Because he no longer wants to hire him
(d) Because he is too tired to contradict him
13. Who does Lucas order to pick the money up from the floor?
(b) Mr Edmonds
(d) The two black boys
14. When does Gavin think they must wait until to dig up the body?
15. When is Charles afraid the the town folk will lynch Lucas?
(a) When he is released on bail
(b) While he is chained to a bed post
(c) When the sheriff transfers him to his jail
(d) When he is at his court hearing
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Charles find his uncle speaking to?
2. Why is the sheriff reluctant to do anything?
3. Where does Gavin take Charles?
4. What does the rider have on the horse with him?
5. What is the sheriff doing when they arrive at his house?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)