|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Lucas buying from the shop before the altercation?
(a) Raspberry Jelly
(b) Peanut butter
(c) Ginger snaps
(d) A coca-cola
2. When is Charles afraid the the town folk will lynch Lucas?
(a) When he is at his court hearing
(b) While he is chained to a bed post
(c) When the sheriff transfers him to his jail
(d) When he is released on bail
3. What is the name of the novel's narrator?
(a) Charles Mallison
(b) Lucas Beachamp
(c) Gavin Stevens
(d) Carothers Edmunds
4. What does Charles buy Molly Beauchamp?
(a) A flowered imitation silk dress
(b) A gold bracelet
(c) An Alice band
(d) A diamond ring
5. Who does the sheriff phone to organize an exhumation order?
(a) The district attourney
(b) The local judge
(c) The senator
(d) The president
6. Who does the Sheriff and Uncle Gavin want to sit out in front of the jail?
(b) Miss Habersham
(c) Will Legate
7. How are they going to transport the body back to the truck?
(a) Using Charles' horse
(b) Drag it along with rope
(c) They will carry it
(d) They don't need the body only the bullet
8. What does Uncle Gavin say a black man is expected to do in the south?
(a) Smile and play music
(b) Lose his temper and kill a white man
(c) Give himself up for lynching
(d) Serve the white man
9. What does Charles do when they hear the mule?
(a) Greets the mule and its rider cordially
(b) Asks who it is
(c) Shoots at the mule blindly
(d) Drives off the road
10. What does Uncle Gavin and the Sheriff want the boys to do?
(a) Keep an eye on the cemetary
(b) Go home
(c) Go to school
(d) Keep an eye on Lucas
11. Where does the Lucas's wife sit?
(a) On the table
(b) On the rug by the fire
(c) In a rocking chair by the fire
(d) On a stool next to the stove
12. What kind of animal does Mr. Edmunds invite Charles to hunt?
13. What does Lucas get arrested for?
(a) Devil worship
(b) Bank robbery
(c) Shooting a local man
(d) Tax fraud
14. What is the sheriff doing when they arrive at his house?
(a) Arranging a lynching
(b) Eating breakfast
(c) Arguing with his wife
(d) Watching television
15. Why do they find the grave so quickly?
(a) It is full of fresh flowers
(b) It was the first one dug that winter
(c) It is biggest in the graveyard
(d) It is the only one with a headstone
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Charles wake up when he gets home?
2. How do the character know the grave has been disturbed?
3. What county is Montgomery from?
4. On what day does Charles meet Lucas for the second time?
5. Why does Charles initially think he no longer owes Lucas a debt?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)