|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Lucas have his gun when they found him standing over the dead man?
(a) In his pocket
(b) On the floor by his feet
(c) In his hand
(d) In the waistband of his pants
2. When does Charles think the Gowries will go after Lucas?
(a) In the morning
(b) After midnight
(c) On friday night
(d) On the sheriff's break
3. How old was Charles when he first met Lucas?
4. Where does Gavin take Charles?
(a) To the sheriff's house
(b) To the saloon
(c) To school
(d) To the cemetery
5. Why must they hide the truck when they reach the cemetery?
(a) It is an expensive truck
(b) The truck is stolen
(c) The sheriff is guarding the grave
(d) In case the Gowries are near by
6. What is the name of the man Lucas has been accused of killing?
(a) Vinson Gowrie
(b) Gavin Stevens
(c) James Buff
(d) Jock Stevens
7. What does Lucas want Charles to do?
(a) Shoot the sheriff
(b) Help him escape
(c) Dig up Gowrie's body
(d) Kill him
8. Who has the sheriff hired to look after Lucas?
(a) James Buff
(b) Gavin Stevens
(c) Will Legate
(d) Frank Davis
9. What kind of hat does Lucas wear?
(a) A beaver hat
(b) A cowboy hat
(c) A top hat
(d) A Davy Crotchett hat
10. What does Charles say Will is reading?
(a) A newsletter
(b) Das Capital
(c) The funny papers
(d) Dashiel Hammet
11. What is Will Legate armed with?
(a) A single shot shot gun
(b) A revolver
(c) A double barrel shotgun
(d) A sword
12. What does Lucas get arrested for?
(a) Devil worship
(b) Shooting a local man
(c) Tax fraud
(d) Bank robbery
13. What does Aleck hear coming toward them?
(a) A car
(b) A dog
(c) A mule
(d) A wheel barrel
14. Why does Lucas accept Gavin's story?
(a) Because he no longer wants to hire him
(b) Because he is too tired to contradict him
(c) Because he knows he will die anyway
(d) Because he knows Gavin thinks he is guilty
15. How much money does Charles try to give Lucas?
(a) A dime
(b) 1 dollar
(c) 70 cents
(d) A quarter
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lucas lay on the bare cots?
2. When does Gavin think they must wait until to dig up the body?
3. What kind of wood is the coffin made from?
4. Why can Charles not take the car?
5. What does Aleck offer Charles to help him out of the water?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)