|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Lucas once react to an insult from a white man?
(a) He cried
(b) He insulted him back
(c) He hit him
(d) He shot him
2. What does Charles ask if he can take to Lucas?
(b) A pork pie
(c) A coca-cola
(d) A guitar
3. Why are the black prisoners afraid to make a noise?
(a) The sheriff is asleep
(b) They will not get fed
(c) Too much noise will set off a time bomb
(d) They may by mistaken for Lucas
4. Who was Miss Habersham raised with?
(a) Luca Beachamp
(b) Gavin Stevens
(c) Molly Beauchamp
5. Why can Charles not take the car?
(a) It has no engine
(b) It has no wheels
(c) He cannot drive
(d) His father has the keys
6. Where does Gavin take Charles?
(a) To the sheriff's house
(b) To the cemetery
(c) To school
(d) To the saloon
7. What kind of look does Charles think Lucas has in his eyes?
(a) Sinful and cold
(b) Tired and experienced
(c) Intolerable and inflexible
(d) Wise and humorous
8. Who does the Sheriff and Uncle Gavin want to sit out in front of the jail?
(c) Will Legate
(d) Miss Habersham
9. Why must they hide the truck when they reach the cemetery?
(a) The truck is stolen
(b) The sheriff is guarding the grave
(c) It is an expensive truck
(d) In case the Gowries are near by
10. Why does Lucas accept Gavin's story?
(a) Because he is too tired to contradict him
(b) Because he knows Gavin thinks he is guilty
(c) Because he knows he will die anyway
(d) Because he no longer wants to hire him
11. Where does the Lucas's wife sit?
(a) On the rug by the fire
(b) On the table
(c) In a rocking chair by the fire
(d) On a stool next to the stove
12. What day do they bury the murdered man?
13. When is Charles afraid the the town folk will lynch Lucas?
(a) When he is at his court hearing
(b) When he is released on bail
(c) When the sheriff transfers him to his jail
(d) While he is chained to a bed post
14. What does the constable chain Lucas to?
(a) The murder victim
(b) A bed post
(c) A car handle
(d) A railing
15. Who is the sheriff bringing to jail?
(a) Gavin Stevens
(b) Carothers Edmunds
(c) Lucas Beachamp
(d) Charles Mallison
Short Answer Questions
1. What county is Montgomery from?
2. What is the name of the novel's narrator?
3. What does Uncle Gavin say is the unwritten code of the south?
4. What does Charles ask Aleck Sander to do?
5. What does Paralee's father say women concentrate on?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)