|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lucas want Charles to do?
(a) Help him escape
(b) Kill him
(c) Dig up Gowrie's body
(d) Shoot the sheriff
2. Who stops Lucas from from getting lynched?
(a) The blacksmith
(b) Miss Laney
(c) The shopkeepers son
(d) The bar owner
3. Who does Charles meet for the first time when he climbs out of the water?
(a) His father
(b) Lucas Beachamp
(c) Aleck Sander
(d) Gavin Stevens
4. What is the sheriff doing when they arrive at his house?
(a) Eating breakfast
(b) Watching television
(c) Arranging a lynching
(d) Arguing with his wife
5. What does Uncle Gavin say is the unwritten code of the south?
(a) That everyone should go to church
(b) That the family of the victim should be alllowed to hang the black man responsible
(c) That white people are superior
(d) That life is for living
6. What county is Montgomery from?
(a) Jefferson county
(b) Neshoba county
(c) Tate county
(d) Crossman county
7. When is Charles afraid the the town folk will lynch Lucas?
(a) When he is released on bail
(b) When he is at his court hearing
(c) When the sheriff transfers him to his jail
(d) While he is chained to a bed post
8. What does Charles leave in the water?
(a) His wallet
(b) His socks
(c) His rifle
(d) His pants
9. Who is the sheriff bringing to jail?
(a) Carothers Edmunds
(b) Lucas Beachamp
(c) Gavin Stevens
(d) Charles Mallison
10. How are they going to transport the body back to the truck?
(a) Using Charles' horse
(b) They don't need the body only the bullet
(c) They will carry it
(d) Drag it along with rope
11. Who was Miss Habersham raised with?
(a) Gavin Stevens
(c) Luca Beachamp
(d) Molly Beauchamp
12. What day do they bury the murdered man?
13. When does Charles think the Gowries will go after Lucas?
(a) On the sheriff's break
(b) On friday night
(c) In the morning
(d) After midnight
14. What kind of job did Montgomery have?
(d) Timber buyer
15. Where does Charles buy the tobacco?
(a) The super market
(b) The pharmacy
(c) The saloon
(d) The tobbaconist
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Lucas once react to an insult from a white man?
2. Who does the Sheriff and Uncle Gavin want to sit out in front of the jail?
3. What is Will Legate armed with?
4. What does Charles say Will is reading?
5. What does the rider have on the horse with him?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)