|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can Charles not take the car?
(a) He cannot drive
(b) It has no engine
(c) His father has the keys
(d) It has no wheels
2. When does Charles think the Gowries will go after Lucas?
(a) In the morning
(b) On friday night
(c) On the sheriff's break
(d) After midnight
3. Where does Lucas take Charles?
(a) To a saloon
(b) To the hospital
(c) To his cabin
(d) To Mr. Edmonds' house
4. Where does Charles buy the tobacco?
(a) The tobbaconist
(b) The pharmacy
(c) The super market
(d) The saloon
5. What is the name of the man Lucas has been accused of killing?
(a) Jock Stevens
(b) Gavin Stevens
(c) Vinson Gowrie
(d) James Buff
6. Where does Charles end up throwing the coins?
(a) Down a well
(b) At Lucas
(c) Into the sea
(d) In the creek
7. Who do they find inside the coffin?
(b) Vinson Gowrie
(d) The sheriff
8. When does Will Legate join the group at the sheriff's house?
(c) 8 a.m.
(d) 10 a.m.
9. What does Charles consider doing so he does not have to see Lucas lynched?
(a) Killing himself
(b) Leaving town
(c) Locking himself in his room
(d) Killing Lucas
10. Why do they find the grave so quickly?
(a) It was the first one dug that winter
(b) It is the only one with a headstone
(c) It is biggest in the graveyard
(d) It is full of fresh flowers
11. What county is Montgomery from?
(a) Tate county
(b) Neshoba county
(c) Jefferson county
(d) Crossman county
12. What does Charles say Will is reading?
(a) Dashiel Hammet
(b) A newsletter
(c) Das Capital
(d) The funny papers
13. What does Charles realize when Lucas notices him?
(a) He still owes him a debt
(b) He has a good memory
(c) He is guilty
(d) He is innocent
14. Why does Charles initially think he no longer owes Lucas a debt?
(a) He bought Molly a dress
(b) Lucas does not notice him
(c) Lucas is a criminal
(d) Lucas is a black man
15. Who does the sheriff phone to organize an exhumation order?
(a) The president
(b) The local judge
(c) The district attourney
(d) The senator
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the novel's narrator?
2. What does Lucas want Charles to do?
3. Where does Uncle Gavin tell Lucas he shot the man?
4. What does the rider have on the horse with him?
5. Who rides the horse from the truck to the cemetery?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)