|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who do they find inside the coffin?
(a) Vinson Gowrie
(b) The sheriff
2. When is Charles afraid the the town folk will lynch Lucas?
(a) When he is at his court hearing
(b) When he is released on bail
(c) When the sheriff transfers him to his jail
(d) While he is chained to a bed post
3. What does Charles consider doing so he does not have to see Lucas lynched?
(a) Leaving town
(b) Killing Lucas
(c) Locking himself in his room
(d) Killing himself
4. What county is Montgomery from?
(a) Neshoba county
(b) Crossman county
(c) Tate county
(d) Jefferson county
5. What does Aleck offer Charles to help him out of the water?
(a) A plank
(b) A boat
(c) A dingy
(d) A pole
6. What does Lucas lay on the bare cots?
(c) His jacket
7. When does Charles think the Gowries will go after Lucas?
(a) On the sheriff's break
(b) In the morning
(c) After midnight
(d) On friday night
8. Why does the sheriff put Lucas in a cell usually reserved for white prisoners?
(a) To give him a good nights sleep
(b) Lucas has a white man's mind
(c) To tempt him into hanging himself
(d) He will be safer there
9. Where did Lucas have his gun when they found him standing over the dead man?
(a) In his hand
(b) In his pocket
(c) In the waistband of his pants
(d) On the floor by his feet
10. What is the name of Lucas's wife?
(b) Baby Suggs
11. Who does Charles meet for the first time when he climbs out of the water?
(a) Lucas Beachamp
(b) Gavin Stevens
(c) His father
(d) Aleck Sander
12. What kind of animal does Mr. Edmunds invite Charles to hunt?
13. Where does Charles end up throwing the coins?
(a) Down a well
(b) In the creek
(c) At Lucas
(d) Into the sea
14. What was Lucas buying from the shop before the altercation?
(a) A coca-cola
(b) Raspberry Jelly
(c) Ginger snaps
(d) Peanut butter
15. What kind of look does Charles think Lucas has in his eyes?
(a) Intolerable and inflexible
(b) Wise and humorous
(c) Sinful and cold
(d) Tired and experienced
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Charles initially think he no longer owes Lucas a debt?
2. What does Lucas get arrested for?
3. Where does Uncle Gavin tell Lucas he shot the man?
4. What does Uncle Gavin and the Sheriff want the boys to do?
5. What is the name of Charles's black servant?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)