* Mr. Edmonds invites Charles rabbit hunting.
* Charles goes hunting with his black servant Aleck Sander and one of Edmonds' tenant's sons and falls into a creek.
* When Charles pull himself out of the water a strange black man called Lucas is standing before him. The man tells Charles to follow him.
* The man's cabin has little furniture, a bed and a small dresser, a bare floor and a mantel that holds a kerosene lamp and a vase filled with twisted newspaper.
* Lucas demands Charles removes his clothing and warms himself beside the fire.
* Aleck Sanders comes back with more clothes. Charles dresses and Lucas invites him to eat.
* Charles offers Lucas 70 cents for his kindness and the meal. Lucas acts as if he does not see it.
* Charles throws the money onto the floor. Lucas, again refusing to look at the boy or the money, orders the...
This section contains 1,809 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)