|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Everest Base Camp: April 12, 1996 - 17,600 Feet.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who led an effort to clean up Base Camp when it was dirty in the 70's and 80's?
(c) Commercial guides
2. What did Willi Unsoeld, a man from Krakauer's hometown, do that inspired Krakauer to climb?
(a) Climb Mount Everest by the West Ridge route
(b) Climg Mount Everest without a guide
(c) Climb Mount Everest by the Nepal entrance
(d) Climb Everest without oxygen
3. What doesn't Base Camp have as one of its many luxurious amenities?
(a) Hot tubs
(b) Hot water
(c) Satellite phone
4. What is the name for the silk scarf that the Buddhist lama ties around the necks of the climbers before their ascent?
5. Where is Hall's group first flying to by helicopter before they begin their climb up the mountain?
Short Answer Questions
1. The Icefall is a dangerous area that is laid out in ropes and _____________.
2. How many camps are above Base Camp, according to Krakauer's description of the mountain?
3. Who does Fischer actually depend on for financial support for his climbing?
4. Hall only makes his climbers hike a few miles a day because of the _______________.
5. Who does Krakauer ask to turn down his oxygen tank because he wants to conserve his oxygen as he waits for other climbers?
This section contains 234 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)