|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is significant about August 5?
2. August 12, Chris left the bus to forage for berries. What did the note he left on the door say?
3. What did Krakauer do similar to what Chris did when he needed to go to the village of Petersberg?
4. What daunting challenge did Krakauer set for himself as a young man?
5. When Krakauer was at the mountain he came to climb, what enhanced his emotions?
Short Essay Questions
1. Carine knew that Chris was leaving but she didn't know where he was going. Why?
2. Describe why the McCandlesses could not take the exact trek to the bus that Chris had taken.
3. Who was Sam McCandless, and why was he the one to notify Chris's parents?
4. What is so unusual about Chris's never seeing another human being while he was camped at the bus?
5. What was Chris's problem with his parents monetary success?
6. What items did Billie and Walt McCandless leave behind in the bus?
7. In Chris's journal, what did he think was happening to him?
8. What was the irony Krakauer thought about as he kept attempting to climb Devil's Thumb?
9. To show his kindred spirit with Chris, what does Krakauer write about in Chapter 14?
10. How does swainsonine become lethal in the body?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a fictitious story about meeting Chris McCandless. Place yourself in one of the locations where Chris was (e.g. the McDonald's in Bullhead City, on the Colorado River, at Oh-My-God Hot Springs, in a railroad freight car, etc.) and write your story as a dialog between you and him.
Essay Topic 2
Given the amount of information Krakauer includes about Chris's abilities, write and OP-ED piece about another successful course Chris might have taken to realize his ideals. You might want to have him go into the Peace Corps or get involved in something like Habitat for Humanity.
Essay Topic 3
Write about an extended trip you would like to take? Would you go alone? Would you not carry money and expect to find jobs to pay your way? Would you do any camping? Where would you go and how long would you stay?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)