|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Krakauer relate his own experiences in Chapter 14?
2. At the time of publication of the notice of Chris's death, what problem did the police have?
3. What important work does Walt McCandless do?
4. How did Chris travel the 1,000 miles from Laird, Alaska, to Fairbanks?
5. What emotional experience disturbed Chris while he is staying in the bus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What indicates to Krakauer that there was a very close relationship between Carine and Chris?
2. Who was Sam McCandless, and why was he the one to notify Chris's parents?
3. Describe why the McCandlesses could not take the exact trek to the bus that Chris had taken.
4. What was Chris's problem with his parents monetary success?
5. In Chris's journal, what did he think was happening to him?
6. How does swainsonine become lethal in the body?
7. As Krakauer, visiting the site, stood on the banks of the raging Teklanika River, what advantage did he have that Chris did not have?
8. How was Krakauer's Alaska experience different from Chris's?
9. What do Carine and her parents regret after the fact of Chris's death?
10. What discovery did Chris make the summer after his freshman year in college that drove a deeper wedge between him and his father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look up information about the Mojave Desert and write an essay about the advisability of trying to exist alone in a place like that. Give your opinion about what might have happened to Chris in the Mojave Desert when he is reported to have nearly died.
Essay Topic 2
Given the amount of information Krakauer includes about Chris's abilities, write and OP-ED piece about another successful course Chris might have taken to realize his ideals. You might want to have him go into the Peace Corps or get involved in something like Habitat for Humanity.
Essay Topic 3
Write about other people's opinions of a person. Use the examples of what Westerberg, Jan, and Franz had to say about Chris when Krakauer interviewed them. Did they express opinions that they never expressed to Chris himself? Include the confusion of Walt McCandless as he talked to Krakauer seven weeks after Chris died.
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)