|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the tender moment between Chris and his father right after Chris graduated from high school?
2. What gift did Walt give Billie after the birth of Chris?
3. What important work does Walt McCandless do?
4. How is Carine different from Chris?
5. What emotional experience disturbed Chris while he is staying in the bus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What items did Billie and Walt McCandless leave behind in the bus?
2. Explain Jim Gillien's difficulty in contacting the Alaska police.
3. How did Chris manage the last leg of his trip into Fairbanks?
4. How does swainsonine become lethal in the body?
5. In Chris's journal, what did he think was happening to him?
6. Carine knew that Chris was leaving but she didn't know where he was going. Why?
7. To show his kindred spirit with Chris, what does Krakauer write about in Chapter 14?
8. How was Krakauer's Alaska experience different from Chris's?
9. What discovery about himself did Krakauer make after conquering Devil's Thumb?
10. What is so unusual about Chris's never seeing another human being while he was camped at the bus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write your opinion about the effect pets can have on one's life. Use the example of Chris and Carine's dog, Buck. Add examples from your life--either pets you have had and been close to or examples of people and their special pets you know.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on romanticism as it pertains to frontier adventure. Use Chris, Krakauer, and Ruess from the book, but also include frontiersmen from American history and those adventurers who are at the forefront of space exploration.
Essay Topic 3
Look up information about the Mojave Desert and write an essay about the advisability of trying to exist alone in a place like that. Give your opinion about what might have happened to Chris in the Mojave Desert when he is reported to have nearly died.
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)