|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Billie realize as she get to the bus?
2. What kind of business do Carine and her husband operate?
3. What emotional experience disturbed Chris while he is staying in the bus?
4. What is so poignant about the final photograph Chris took of himself holding his good-bye note?
5. What trait did sports reveal in Chris?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Carine and her parents regret after the fact of Chris's death?
2. What indicates to Krakauer that there was a very close relationship between Carine and Chris?
3. How was Krakauer's Alaska experience different from Chris's?
4. Who was Sam McCandless, and why was he the one to notify Chris's parents?
5. What discovery did Chris make the summer after his freshman year in college that drove a deeper wedge between him and his father?
6. What discovery about himself did Krakauer make after conquering Devil's Thumb?
7. Explain Jim Gillien's difficulty in contacting the Alaska police.
8. What is so unusual about Chris's never seeing another human being while he was camped at the bus?
9. Carine knew that Chris was leaving but she didn't know where he was going. Why?
10. As Krakauer, visiting the site, stood on the banks of the raging Teklanika River, what advantage did he have that Chris did not have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write your opinion of how Chris McCandless might have changed had he survived. Some of the passages he underscored in books he was reading might give you some insight into how he might have been after leaving Alaska.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay expressing your opinion of Chris McCandless. Answer whether he was mentally stable, how he did or did not use people, whether he might have survived except for some bad luck, and how well he was prepared to survive alone.
Essay Topic 3
Look up information about the Mojave Desert and write an essay about the advisability of trying to exist alone in a place like that. Give your opinion about what might have happened to Chris in the Mojave Desert when he is reported to have nearly died.
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)