|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What characteristic of his father's does Krakauer mention as a flaw?
2. What did Walt leave in the bus?
3. What affected the eating habits of Chris's family?
4. In light of his own experiences, what does Krakauer think of Chris's tactics?
5. What trait did sports reveal in Chris?
Short Essay Questions
1. What discovery about himself did Krakauer make after conquering Devil's Thumb?
2. What do Carine and her parents regret after the fact of Chris's death?
3. Explain Jim Gillien's difficulty in contacting the Alaska police.
4. What discovery did Chris make the summer after his freshman year in college that drove a deeper wedge between him and his father?
5. What defense does Krakauer make of Chris's ability to survive in the wild?
6. As Krakauer, visiting the site, stood on the banks of the raging Teklanika River, what advantage did he have that Chris did not have?
7. What was Chris's problem with his parents monetary success?
8. In Chris's journal, what did he think was happening to him?
9. How does swainsonine become lethal in the body?
10. What was the irony Krakauer thought about as he kept attempting to climb Devil's Thumb?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look up information about the Mojave Desert and write an essay about the advisability of trying to exist alone in a place like that. Give your opinion about what might have happened to Chris in the Mojave Desert when he is reported to have nearly died.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on romanticism as it pertains to frontier adventure. Use Chris, Krakauer, and Ruess from the book, but also include frontiersmen from American history and those adventurers who are at the forefront of space exploration.
Essay Topic 3
Write about an extended trip you would like to take? Would you go alone? Would you not carry money and expect to find jobs to pay your way? Would you do any camping? Where would you go and how long would you stay?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)