|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Billie find in the bus?
2. Why did Chris write in his journal that he had found the Magic Bus?
3. Why did the Candless family not follow the route Chris had taken to get to the bus as Billie wanted?
4. What did Walt leave in the bus?
5. What did the bones outside the bus reveal?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does swainsonine become lethal in the body?
2. What discovery about himself did Krakauer make after conquering Devil's Thumb?
3. What was Chris's problem with his parents monetary success?
4. Carine knew that Chris was leaving but she didn't know where he was going. Why?
5. What was the irony Krakauer thought about as he kept attempting to climb Devil's Thumb?
6. Who was Sam McCandless, and why was he the one to notify Chris's parents?
7. Explain Jim Gillien's difficulty in contacting the Alaska police.
8. In Chris's journal, what did he think was happening to him?
9. What indicates to Krakauer that there was a very close relationship between Carine and Chris?
10. What discovery did Chris make the summer after his freshman year in college that drove a deeper wedge between him and his father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look up four or five edible wild plants and write about them. Tell where to find them, how to prepare them for eating, whether they must be cooked, and any danger of confusing them with another plant that is poisonous.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on your idea of living off the land. In the essay give specific details about the knowledge one would need before attempting to live that way. What skills would a person need as well? Where would be ideal locations for such an endeavor?
Essay Topic 3
Write about other people's opinions of a person. Use the examples of what Westerberg, Jan, and Franz had to say about Chris when Krakauer interviewed them. Did they express opinions that they never expressed to Chris himself? Include the confusion of Walt McCandless as he talked to Krakauer seven weeks after Chris died.
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)