|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What evidence does Krakauer find that suggests Chris was ready to re-enter society?
2. How was Westerberg able to help the police?
3. What is significant about August 5?
4. What is so poignant about the final photograph Chris took of himself holding his good-bye note?
5. Why does Krakauer relate his own experiences in Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the irony Krakauer thought about as he kept attempting to climb Devil's Thumb?
2. To show his kindred spirit with Chris, what does Krakauer write about in Chapter 14?
3. How does swainsonine become lethal in the body?
4. What is so unusual about Chris's never seeing another human being while he was camped at the bus?
5. What kind of work made Walt McCandless such a success?
6. As Krakauer, visiting the site, stood on the banks of the raging Teklanika River, what advantage did he have that Chris did not have?
7. Carine knew that Chris was leaving but she didn't know where he was going. Why?
8. Describe why the McCandlesses could not take the exact trek to the bus that Chris had taken.
9. What items did Billie and Walt McCandless leave behind in the bus?
10. What indicates to Krakauer that there was a very close relationship between Carine and Chris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look up information about the Mojave Desert and write an essay about the advisability of trying to exist alone in a place like that. Give your opinion about what might have happened to Chris in the Mojave Desert when he is reported to have nearly died.
Essay Topic 2
Write about hitchhiking. What are the dangers? Why do people not pick up hitchhikers very much? Include Gaylord Stuckey, who seldom picked up hitchhikers, and Jim Gallien who picked Chris up even though he was carrying a rifle.
Essay Topic 3
Given the amount of information Krakauer includes about Chris's abilities, write and OP-ED piece about another successful course Chris might have taken to realize his ideals. You might want to have him go into the Peace Corps or get involved in something like Habitat for Humanity.
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)