|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Krakauer do similar to what Chris did when he needed to go to the village of Petersberg?
2. When Krakauer was at the mountain he came to climb, what enhanced his emotions?
3. What two requests did Stuckey make of Alex as they parted company?
4. How did Chris travel the 1,000 miles from Laird, Alaska, to Fairbanks?
5. What sad discovery does Krakauer make just a quarter mile down stream on the river?
Short Essay Questions
1. What discovery about himself did Krakauer make after conquering Devil's Thumb?
2. What was the irony Krakauer thought about as he kept attempting to climb Devil's Thumb?
3. Explain Jim Gillien's difficulty in contacting the Alaska police.
4. To show his kindred spirit with Chris, what does Krakauer write about in Chapter 14?
5. In Chris's journal, what did he think was happening to him?
6. How was Krakauer's Alaska experience different from Chris's?
7. What indicates to Krakauer that there was a very close relationship between Carine and Chris?
8. What do Carine and her parents regret after the fact of Chris's death?
9. What is so unusual about Chris's never seeing another human being while he was camped at the bus?
10. What discovery did Chris make the summer after his freshman year in college that drove a deeper wedge between him and his father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write your opinion about the effect pets can have on one's life. Use the example of Chris and Carine's dog, Buck. Add examples from your life--either pets you have had and been close to or examples of people and their special pets you know.
Essay Topic 2
Interview someone who has had an unusual travel adventure and write their story. It can be any kind of travel adventure and not just a solo trip living off the land. Ask questions about the people they met and the descriptions of the places they visited.
Essay Topic 3
Given the amount of information Krakauer includes about Chris's abilities, write and OP-ED piece about another successful course Chris might have taken to realize his ideals. You might want to have him go into the Peace Corps or get involved in something like Habitat for Humanity.
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)