|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Jon Krakauer interview Walt McCandless?
2. What is significant about August 5?
3. At the time of publication of the notice of Chris's death, what problem did the police have?
4. What kind of business do Carine and her husband operate?
5. How is Carine different from Chris?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the irony Krakauer thought about as he kept attempting to climb Devil's Thumb?
2. What was Chris's problem with his parents monetary success?
3. Carine knew that Chris was leaving but she didn't know where he was going. Why?
4. To show his kindred spirit with Chris, what does Krakauer write about in Chapter 14?
5. What defense does Krakauer make of Chris's ability to survive in the wild?
6. How did Chris manage the last leg of his trip into Fairbanks?
7. In Chris's journal, what did he think was happening to him?
8. Explain Jim Gillien's difficulty in contacting the Alaska police.
9. How does swainsonine become lethal in the body?
10. What is so unusual about Chris's never seeing another human being while he was camped at the bus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about loneliness. Using Ron Franz as an example, write about how losing loved ones can affect one's life and what one can do to fill the void. Give your opinion of Ron Franz as to whether he had a good plan for living alone.
Essay Topic 2
Look up information about the Mojave Desert and write an essay about the advisability of trying to exist alone in a place like that. Give your opinion about what might have happened to Chris in the Mojave Desert when he is reported to have nearly died.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay expressing your opinion of Chris McCandless. Answer whether he was mentally stable, how he did or did not use people, whether he might have survived except for some bad luck, and how well he was prepared to survive alone.
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)