|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is prominently displayed in Carine McCandless's home?
2. What information does Gallien provide the police?
3. What spurred Krakauer on after his failed attempt to climb Devil's Thumb?
4. What evidence does Krakauer find that suggests Chris was ready to re-enter society?
5. What similarity is there between Jon's relationship with his father and Chris's relationship with Walt?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Jim Gillien's difficulty in contacting the Alaska police.
2. How was Krakauer's Alaska experience different from Chris's?
3. How does swainsonine become lethal in the body?
4. What items did Billie and Walt McCandless leave behind in the bus?
5. What was Chris's problem with his parents monetary success?
6. What is so unusual about Chris's never seeing another human being while he was camped at the bus?
7. How did Chris manage the last leg of his trip into Fairbanks?
8. What defense does Krakauer make of Chris's ability to survive in the wild?
9. What was the irony Krakauer thought about as he kept attempting to climb Devil's Thumb?
10. To show his kindred spirit with Chris, what does Krakauer write about in Chapter 14?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write your opinion about the effect pets can have on one's life. Use the example of Chris and Carine's dog, Buck. Add examples from your life--either pets you have had and been close to or examples of people and their special pets you know.
Essay Topic 2
Write about hitchhiking. What are the dangers? Why do people not pick up hitchhikers very much? Include Gaylord Stuckey, who seldom picked up hitchhikers, and Jim Gallien who picked Chris up even though he was carrying a rifle.
Essay Topic 3
Interview someone who has had an unusual travel adventure and write their story. It can be any kind of travel adventure and not just a solo trip living off the land. Ask questions about the people they met and the descriptions of the places they visited.
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)