|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sad discovery does Krakauer make just a quarter mile down stream on the river?
2. Why did the Candless family not follow the route Chris had taken to get to the bus as Billie wanted?
3. What family outings did the McCandless family mention to Krakauer?
4. Racing against a storm, Krakauer reaches the summit of the Thumb. How does he describe it?
5. What was in the McCandless house that speaks to the feelings of Walt and Billie McCandless toward Chris?
Short Essay Questions
1. What defense does Krakauer make of Chris's ability to survive in the wild?
2. In Chris's journal, what did he think was happening to him?
3. To show his kindred spirit with Chris, what does Krakauer write about in Chapter 14?
4. What items did Billie and Walt McCandless leave behind in the bus?
5. How was Krakauer's Alaska experience different from Chris's?
6. What kind of work made Walt McCandless such a success?
7. What is so unusual about Chris's never seeing another human being while he was camped at the bus?
8. What was the irony Krakauer thought about as he kept attempting to climb Devil's Thumb?
9. How did Chris manage the last leg of his trip into Fairbanks?
10. What do Carine and her parents regret after the fact of Chris's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a critique of Krakauer's Into The Wild. Address such things as (1) Krakauer's motive for writing the book and how well you think he succeeded, (2) Krakauer's writing style and how easy or difficult it is to read the book, (3) the value of the subject matter and how it might or might not relate to readers.
Essay Topic 2
Write about other people's opinions of a person. Use the examples of what Westerberg, Jan, and Franz had to say about Chris when Krakauer interviewed them. Did they express opinions that they never expressed to Chris himself? Include the confusion of Walt McCandless as he talked to Krakauer seven weeks after Chris died.
Essay Topic 3
Write about respect for authority. Using the example of Chris failing one course, physics, because he refused to turn in his assignments according to the way the professor wanted them. Then broaden the point of view. You may want to write about taggers (delinquents who paint graffiti on public buildings). Conclude with your idea about what society would be like if everyone simply did whatever he or she pleased without regard to others or the law.
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)