|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What characteristic of his father's does Krakauer mention as a flaw?
2. What did Walt leave in the bus?
3. What evidence does Krakauer find that suggests Chris was ready to re-enter society?
4. What is significant about August 5?
5. Where did Chris leave from on April 15, 1992 on his journey to Alaska?
Short Essay Questions
1. What discovery about himself did Krakauer make after conquering Devil's Thumb?
2. How did Chris manage the last leg of his trip into Fairbanks?
3. As Krakauer, visiting the site, stood on the banks of the raging Teklanika River, what advantage did he have that Chris did not have?
4. Who was Sam McCandless, and why was he the one to notify Chris's parents?
5. Carine knew that Chris was leaving but she didn't know where he was going. Why?
6. What indicates to Krakauer that there was a very close relationship between Carine and Chris?
7. What was the irony Krakauer thought about as he kept attempting to climb Devil's Thumb?
8. How was Krakauer's Alaska experience different from Chris's?
9. How does swainsonine become lethal in the body?
10. To show his kindred spirit with Chris, what does Krakauer write about in Chapter 14?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write about an extended trip you would like to take? Would you go alone? Would you not carry money and expect to find jobs to pay your way? Would you do any camping? Where would you go and how long would you stay?
Essay Topic 2
From information in the book, Into The wild, and other sources, write about the Alaskan wilderness. Discuss whether you think it would be a good place to visit, even with the transportation you might need and all the equipment you would need for such a trip.
Essay Topic 3
Write about mountain climbing and the kinds of people who are compelled to do that. Use examples from the book as well as any information you find about other mountain climbers. Sir Edmond Hillery and Mr. Everest might be a good example.
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)