|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Krakauer relate his own experiences in Chapter 14?
2. What did Billie find in the bus?
3. What emotional experience disturbed Chris while he is staying in the bus?
4. What two requests did Stuckey make of Alex as they parted company?
5. What gift did Walt give Billie after the birth of Chris?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe why the McCandlesses could not take the exact trek to the bus that Chris had taken.
2. What indicates to Krakauer that there was a very close relationship between Carine and Chris?
3. As Krakauer, visiting the site, stood on the banks of the raging Teklanika River, what advantage did he have that Chris did not have?
4. To show his kindred spirit with Chris, what does Krakauer write about in Chapter 14?
5. How was Krakauer's Alaska experience different from Chris's?
6. What do Carine and her parents regret after the fact of Chris's death?
7. Who was Sam McCandless, and why was he the one to notify Chris's parents?
8. In Chris's journal, what did he think was happening to him?
9. What defense does Krakauer make of Chris's ability to survive in the wild?
10. What is so unusual about Chris's never seeing another human being while he was camped at the bus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write about other people's opinions of a person. Use the examples of what Westerberg, Jan, and Franz had to say about Chris when Krakauer interviewed them. Did they express opinions that they never expressed to Chris himself? Include the confusion of Walt McCandless as he talked to Krakauer seven weeks after Chris died.
Essay Topic 2
Look up four or five edible wild plants and write about them. Tell where to find them, how to prepare them for eating, whether they must be cooked, and any danger of confusing them with another plant that is poisonous.
Essay Topic 3
Interview someone who has had an unusual travel adventure and write their story. It can be any kind of travel adventure and not just a solo trip living off the land. Ask questions about the people they met and the descriptions of the places they visited.
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)