|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What important work does Walt McCandless do?
2. How does Krakauer interpret the evidence he gathered about Chris?
3. What similarity is there between Jon's relationship with his father and Chris's relationship with Walt?
4. What affected the eating habits of Chris's family?
5. At the time of publication of the notice of Chris's death, what problem did the police have?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Krakauer, visiting the site, stood on the banks of the raging Teklanika River, what advantage did he have that Chris did not have?
2. Carine knew that Chris was leaving but she didn't know where he was going. Why?
3. To show his kindred spirit with Chris, what does Krakauer write about in Chapter 14?
4. What was the irony Krakauer thought about as he kept attempting to climb Devil's Thumb?
5. What do Carine and her parents regret after the fact of Chris's death?
6. What kind of work made Walt McCandless such a success?
7. What was Chris's problem with his parents monetary success?
8. What discovery about himself did Krakauer make after conquering Devil's Thumb?
9. What is so unusual about Chris's never seeing another human being while he was camped at the bus?
10. What indicates to Krakauer that there was a very close relationship between Carine and Chris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From information in the book, Into The wild, and other sources, write about the Alaskan wilderness. Discuss whether you think it would be a good place to visit, even with the transportation you might need and all the equipment you would need for such a trip.
Essay Topic 2
Write about other people's opinions of a person. Use the examples of what Westerberg, Jan, and Franz had to say about Chris when Krakauer interviewed them. Did they express opinions that they never expressed to Chris himself? Include the confusion of Walt McCandless as he talked to Krakauer seven weeks after Chris died.
Essay Topic 3
Write about respect for authority. Using the example of Chris failing one course, physics, because he refused to turn in his assignments according to the way the professor wanted them. Then broaden the point of view. You may want to write about taggers (delinquents who paint graffiti on public buildings). Conclude with your idea about what society would be like if everyone simply did whatever he or she pleased without regard to others or the law.
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)