|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Carine recall that Chris loved so much?
2. What characteristic of his father's does Krakauer mention as a flaw?
3. What is so poignant about the final photograph Chris took of himself holding his good-bye note?
4. What trait did sports reveal in Chris?
5. How did the police know Chris's real last name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What indicates to Krakauer that there was a very close relationship between Carine and Chris?
2. Describe why the McCandlesses could not take the exact trek to the bus that Chris had taken.
3. How does swainsonine become lethal in the body?
4. What do Carine and her parents regret after the fact of Chris's death?
5. What defense does Krakauer make of Chris's ability to survive in the wild?
6. To show his kindred spirit with Chris, what does Krakauer write about in Chapter 14?
7. What kind of work made Walt McCandless such a success?
8. Who was Sam McCandless, and why was he the one to notify Chris's parents?
9. Carine knew that Chris was leaving but she didn't know where he was going. Why?
10. Explain Jim Gillien's difficulty in contacting the Alaska police.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on romanticism as it pertains to frontier adventure. Use Chris, Krakauer, and Ruess from the book, but also include frontiersmen from American history and those adventurers who are at the forefront of space exploration.
Essay Topic 2
Write about an extended trip you would like to take? Would you go alone? Would you not carry money and expect to find jobs to pay your way? Would you do any camping? Where would you go and how long would you stay?
Essay Topic 3
Look up four or five edible wild plants and write about them. Tell where to find them, how to prepare them for eating, whether they must be cooked, and any danger of confusing them with another plant that is poisonous.
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)