|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Chris leave from on April 15, 1992 on his journey to Alaska?
2. What characteristic of his father's does Krakauer mention as a flaw?
3. Why did Chris write in his journal that he had found the Magic Bus?
4. August 12, Chris left the bus to forage for berries. What did the note he left on the door say?
5. What two requests did Stuckey make of Alex as they parted company?
Short Essay Questions
1. What discovery did Chris make the summer after his freshman year in college that drove a deeper wedge between him and his father?
2. To show his kindred spirit with Chris, what does Krakauer write about in Chapter 14?
3. As Krakauer, visiting the site, stood on the banks of the raging Teklanika River, what advantage did he have that Chris did not have?
4. What do Carine and her parents regret after the fact of Chris's death?
5. What items did Billie and Walt McCandless leave behind in the bus?
6. Who was Sam McCandless, and why was he the one to notify Chris's parents?
7. Explain Jim Gillien's difficulty in contacting the Alaska police.
8. What was Chris's problem with his parents monetary success?
9. What defense does Krakauer make of Chris's ability to survive in the wild?
10. What is so unusual about Chris's never seeing another human being while he was camped at the bus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on your idea of living off the land. In the essay give specific details about the knowledge one would need before attempting to live that way. What skills would a person need as well? Where would be ideal locations for such an endeavor?
Essay Topic 2
Write about respect for authority. Using the example of Chris failing one course, physics, because he refused to turn in his assignments according to the way the professor wanted them. Then broaden the point of view. You may want to write about taggers (delinquents who paint graffiti on public buildings). Conclude with your idea about what society would be like if everyone simply did whatever he or she pleased without regard to others or the law.
Essay Topic 3
Write your opinion of how Chris McCandless might have changed had he survived. Some of the passages he underscored in books he was reading might give you some insight into how he might have been after leaving Alaska.
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)