|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Krakauer think Chris could not excrete poison from his body?
2. What did Billie find in the bus?
3. What ambitions did Jon Krakauer's father have for all of his children?
4. What similarity is there between Jon's relationship with his father and Chris's relationship with Walt?
5. What was in the McCandless house that speaks to the feelings of Walt and Billie McCandless toward Chris?
Short Essay Questions
1. Carine knew that Chris was leaving but she didn't know where he was going. Why?
2. Explain Jim Gillien's difficulty in contacting the Alaska police.
3. What was Chris's problem with his parents monetary success?
4. Who was Sam McCandless, and why was he the one to notify Chris's parents?
5. What items did Billie and Walt McCandless leave behind in the bus?
6. What is so unusual about Chris's never seeing another human being while he was camped at the bus?
7. What defense does Krakauer make of Chris's ability to survive in the wild?
8. How did Chris manage the last leg of his trip into Fairbanks?
9. Describe why the McCandlesses could not take the exact trek to the bus that Chris had taken.
10. As Krakauer, visiting the site, stood on the banks of the raging Teklanika River, what advantage did he have that Chris did not have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay expressing your opinion of Chris McCandless. Answer whether he was mentally stable, how he did or did not use people, whether he might have survived except for some bad luck, and how well he was prepared to survive alone.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on your idea of living off the land. In the essay give specific details about the knowledge one would need before attempting to live that way. What skills would a person need as well? Where would be ideal locations for such an endeavor?
Essay Topic 3
Write about mountain climbing and the kinds of people who are compelled to do that. Use examples from the book as well as any information you find about other mountain climbers. Sir Edmond Hillery and Mr. Everest might be a good example.
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)