|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What characteristic of his father's does Krakauer mention as a flaw?
2. What does Carine recall that Chris loved so much?
3. How does Roman Dial, who teaches at the University of Alaska, interpret Chris's actions?
4. What similarity is there between Jon's relationship with his father and Chris's relationship with Walt?
5. What sad discovery does Krakauer make just a quarter mile down stream on the river?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Chris's problem with his parents monetary success?
2. How was Krakauer's Alaska experience different from Chris's?
3. Explain Jim Gillien's difficulty in contacting the Alaska police.
4. Describe why the McCandlesses could not take the exact trek to the bus that Chris had taken.
5. How does swainsonine become lethal in the body?
6. How did Chris manage the last leg of his trip into Fairbanks?
7. What do Carine and her parents regret after the fact of Chris's death?
8. What items did Billie and Walt McCandless leave behind in the bus?
9. Carine knew that Chris was leaving but she didn't know where he was going. Why?
10. In Chris's journal, what did he think was happening to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Given the amount of information Krakauer includes about Chris's abilities, write and OP-ED piece about another successful course Chris might have taken to realize his ideals. You might want to have him go into the Peace Corps or get involved in something like Habitat for Humanity.
Essay Topic 2
Write about other people's opinions of a person. Use the examples of what Westerberg, Jan, and Franz had to say about Chris when Krakauer interviewed them. Did they express opinions that they never expressed to Chris himself? Include the confusion of Walt McCandless as he talked to Krakauer seven weeks after Chris died.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about loneliness. Using Ron Franz as an example, write about how losing loved ones can affect one's life and what one can do to fill the void. Give your opinion of Ron Franz as to whether he had a good plan for living alone.
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)