|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the time of publication of the notice of Chris's death, what problem did the police have?
2. How did Chris travel the 1,000 miles from Laird, Alaska, to Fairbanks?
3. Racing against a storm, Krakauer reaches the summit of the Thumb. How does he describe it?
4. What is significant about the cloth belt Krakauer founds in the bus?
5. Where did Chris leave from on April 15, 1992 on his journey to Alaska?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the irony Krakauer thought about as he kept attempting to climb Devil's Thumb?
2. Explain Jim Gillien's difficulty in contacting the Alaska police.
3. What defense does Krakauer make of Chris's ability to survive in the wild?
4. Who was Sam McCandless, and why was he the one to notify Chris's parents?
5. What items did Billie and Walt McCandless leave behind in the bus?
6. Carine knew that Chris was leaving but she didn't know where he was going. Why?
7. How does swainsonine become lethal in the body?
8. What kind of work made Walt McCandless such a success?
9. As Krakauer, visiting the site, stood on the banks of the raging Teklanika River, what advantage did he have that Chris did not have?
10. What was Chris's problem with his parents monetary success?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write about respect for authority. Using the example of Chris failing one course, physics, because he refused to turn in his assignments according to the way the professor wanted them. Then broaden the point of view. You may want to write about taggers (delinquents who paint graffiti on public buildings). Conclude with your idea about what society would be like if everyone simply did whatever he or she pleased without regard to others or the law.
Essay Topic 2
Write about hitchhiking. What are the dangers? Why do people not pick up hitchhikers very much? Include Gaylord Stuckey, who seldom picked up hitchhikers, and Jim Gallien who picked Chris up even though he was carrying a rifle.
Essay Topic 3
Write about mountain climbing and the kinds of people who are compelled to do that. Use examples from the book as well as any information you find about other mountain climbers. Sir Edmond Hillery and Mr. Everest might be a good example.
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)