|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. August 12, Chris left the bus to forage for berries. What did the note he left on the door say?
2. How did Chris travel the 1,000 miles from Laird, Alaska, to Fairbanks?
3. What did Krakauer do similar to what Chris did when he needed to go to the village of Petersberg?
4. When did Jon Krakauer interview Walt McCandless?
5. When Krakauer reached an impassable place on the mountain, what did he do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Carine and her parents regret after the fact of Chris's death?
2. Explain Jim Gillien's difficulty in contacting the Alaska police.
3. As Krakauer, visiting the site, stood on the banks of the raging Teklanika River, what advantage did he have that Chris did not have?
4. How did Chris manage the last leg of his trip into Fairbanks?
5. What discovery did Chris make the summer after his freshman year in college that drove a deeper wedge between him and his father?
6. How does swainsonine become lethal in the body?
7. Carine knew that Chris was leaving but she didn't know where he was going. Why?
8. What indicates to Krakauer that there was a very close relationship between Carine and Chris?
9. Who was Sam McCandless, and why was he the one to notify Chris's parents?
10. What defense does Krakauer make of Chris's ability to survive in the wild?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a fictitious story about meeting Chris McCandless. Place yourself in one of the locations where Chris was (e.g. the McDonald's in Bullhead City, on the Colorado River, at Oh-My-God Hot Springs, in a railroad freight car, etc.) and write your story as a dialog between you and him.
Essay Topic 2
Write a critique of Krakauer's Into The Wild. Address such things as (1) Krakauer's motive for writing the book and how well you think he succeeded, (2) Krakauer's writing style and how easy or difficult it is to read the book, (3) the value of the subject matter and how it might or might not relate to readers.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about Walt and Billie as examples of people working hard to fulfill the American dream. Explain whether you think their ambition might have affected their children. Conclude with your opinion about making money and making a life.
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)