|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the Candless family not follow the route Chris had taken to get to the bus as Billie wanted?
2. What shows Chris's attitude toward injustices that began when he was in college?
3. What two requests did Stuckey make of Alex as they parted company?
4. How is Carine different from Chris?
5. What did the bones outside the bus reveal?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Krakauer, visiting the site, stood on the banks of the raging Teklanika River, what advantage did he have that Chris did not have?
2. Describe why the McCandlesses could not take the exact trek to the bus that Chris had taken.
3. What indicates to Krakauer that there was a very close relationship between Carine and Chris?
4. How did Chris manage the last leg of his trip into Fairbanks?
5. To show his kindred spirit with Chris, what does Krakauer write about in Chapter 14?
6. How was Krakauer's Alaska experience different from Chris's?
7. What discovery about himself did Krakauer make after conquering Devil's Thumb?
8. What kind of work made Walt McCandless such a success?
9. What was Chris's problem with his parents monetary success?
10. What discovery did Chris make the summer after his freshman year in college that drove a deeper wedge between him and his father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look up four or five edible wild plants and write about them. Tell where to find them, how to prepare them for eating, whether they must be cooked, and any danger of confusing them with another plant that is poisonous.
Essay Topic 2
Write about mountain climbing and the kinds of people who are compelled to do that. Use examples from the book as well as any information you find about other mountain climbers. Sir Edmond Hillery and Mr. Everest might be a good example.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on your idea of living off the land. In the essay give specific details about the knowledge one would need before attempting to live that way. What skills would a person need as well? Where would be ideal locations for such an endeavor?
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)