|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. August 12, Chris left the bus to forage for berries. What did the note he left on the door say?
2. What happened to Billie in July of 1992?
3. What was in the McCandless house that speaks to the feelings of Walt and Billie McCandless toward Chris?
4. What did the bones outside the bus reveal?
5. What gift did Walt give Billie after the birth of Chris?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Krakauer's Alaska experience different from Chris's?
2. What was the irony Krakauer thought about as he kept attempting to climb Devil's Thumb?
3. As Krakauer, visiting the site, stood on the banks of the raging Teklanika River, what advantage did he have that Chris did not have?
4. What was Chris's problem with his parents monetary success?
5. What indicates to Krakauer that there was a very close relationship between Carine and Chris?
6. To show his kindred spirit with Chris, what does Krakauer write about in Chapter 14?
7. What items did Billie and Walt McCandless leave behind in the bus?
8. Explain Jim Gillien's difficulty in contacting the Alaska police.
9. What is so unusual about Chris's never seeing another human being while he was camped at the bus?
10. What discovery about himself did Krakauer make after conquering Devil's Thumb?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write about other people's opinions of a person. Use the examples of what Westerberg, Jan, and Franz had to say about Chris when Krakauer interviewed them. Did they express opinions that they never expressed to Chris himself? Include the confusion of Walt McCandless as he talked to Krakauer seven weeks after Chris died.
Essay Topic 2
From information in the book, Into The wild, and other sources, write about the Alaskan wilderness. Discuss whether you think it would be a good place to visit, even with the transportation you might need and all the equipment you would need for such a trip.
Essay Topic 3
Write about an extended trip you would like to take? Would you go alone? Would you not carry money and expect to find jobs to pay your way? Would you do any camping? Where would you go and how long would you stay?
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)