Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the origin of the Stampede Trail?
2. Near what famous landmark did Chris McCandless die?
3. What was located at Oh-My-God Hot Springs?
4. How does Chapter 1 begin?
5. What strange actions did Chris take right after graduating college?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chris's journal, what did he think was happening to him?
2. Discuss Chris's abandonment of his beloved Datsun.
3. Tell how Krakauer disliked the assertion from so many people that Chris had foolishly thrown away his life.
4. Discuss the difference between Chris's treatment of his parents and the way he treated strangers.
5. Explain Jim Gillien's difficulty in contacting the Alaska police.
6. What two things was Gallien able to provide the Alaska authorities?
7. What is so unusual about Chris's never seeing another human being while he was camped at the bus?
8. What kind of work made Walt McCandless such a success?
9. Explain the origins of the Stampede Trail.
10. What happened to Chris's plan to paddle a canoe from Arizona to the Gulf of California?
Write about respect for authority. Using the example of Chris failing one course, physics, because he refused to turn in his assignments according to the way the professor wanted them. Then broaden the point of view. You may want to write about taggers (delinquents who paint graffiti on public buildings). Conclude with your idea about what society would be like if everyone simply did whatever he or she pleased without regard to others or the law.
Write an essay about Walt and Billie as examples of people working hard to fulfill the American dream. Explain whether you think their ambition might have affected their children. Conclude with your opinion about making money and making a life.
Write an essay about loneliness. Using Ron Franz as an example, write about how losing loved ones can affect one's life and what one can do to fill the void. Give your opinion of Ron Franz as to whether he had a good plan for living alone.
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)