|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Chris corresponded with his sister, what did he confide to her?
2. What was the similar experience that led to both of these stories of drop out and adventure?
3. What did Chris realize after he decided to abandon his once beloved Datsun?
4. What comment does Krakauer make about Chris's fondness for Jack London?
5. When Franz offered to give Chris a ride to his campsite, what is it he didn't know?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Westerberg's comments to Krakauer two months after Chris died.
2. Explain the origins of the Stampede Trail.
3. What was the relationship Chris developed with the Westerberg family?
4. Describe the first indication that Walt and Billie McCandless had of where Chris might be.
5. The man Chris describes as a lunatic, Charlie, holds what kind of opinion about Chris?
6. What did Chris do in the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park?
7. Why do people still come to the site where the bus stands?
8. Explain why Krakauer traveled to Carthage, South Dakota.
9. What is a literary parallel between Chris and Ruess?
10. How was Westerberg able to help the police with their further investigation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Given the amount of information Krakauer includes about Chris's abilities, write and OP-ED piece about another successful course Chris might have taken to realize his ideals. You might want to have him go into the Peace Corps or get involved in something like Habitat for Humanity.
Essay Topic 2
Write a fictitious story about meeting Chris McCandless. Place yourself in one of the locations where Chris was (e.g. the McDonald's in Bullhead City, on the Colorado River, at Oh-My-God Hot Springs, in a railroad freight car, etc.) and write your story as a dialog between you and him.
Essay Topic 3
Write about other people's opinions of a person. Use the examples of what Westerberg, Jan, and Franz had to say about Chris when Krakauer interviewed them. Did they express opinions that they never expressed to Chris himself? Include the confusion of Walt McCandless as he talked to Krakauer seven weeks after Chris died.
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)