|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the origin of the Stampede Trail?
2. Near what famous landmark did Chris McCandless die?
3. What was located at Oh-My-God Hot Springs?
4. How does Chapter 1 begin?
5. What strange actions did Chris take right after graduating college?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chris's journal, what did he think was happening to him?
2. Discuss Chris's abandonment of his beloved Datsun.
3. Tell how Krakauer disliked the assertion from so many people that Chris had foolishly thrown away his life.
4. Discuss the difference between Chris's treatment of his parents and the way he treated strangers.
5. Explain Jim Gillien's difficulty in contacting the Alaska police.
6. What two things was Gallien able to provide the Alaska authorities?
7. What is so unusual about Chris's never seeing another human being while he was camped at the bus?
8. What kind of work made Walt McCandless such a success?
9. Explain the origins of the Stampede Trail.
10. What happened to Chris's plan to paddle a canoe from Arizona to the Gulf of California?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about loneliness. Using Ron Franz as an example, write about how losing loved ones can affect one's life and what one can do to fill the void. Give your opinion of Ron Franz as to whether he had a good plan for living alone.
Essay Topic 2
Write about mountain climbing and the kinds of people who are compelled to do that. Use examples from the book as well as any information you find about other mountain climbers. Sir Edmond Hillery and Mr. Everest might be a good example.
Essay Topic 3
Write about an extended trip you would like to take? Would you go alone? Would you not carry money and expect to find jobs to pay your way? Would you do any camping? Where would you go and how long would you stay?
This section contains 1,722 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)