|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had Chris's mother and father offered to do after he graduated from college?
2. Why is the Stampede Trail still in use?
3. What did Chris and Ruess each do shortly before their deaths?
4. What message did Chris leave taped to the door of the bus?
5. What did Chris do on frequent visits to Franz's apartment in Salton City?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of place was The Slabs?
2. What happened to Chris's plan to paddle a canoe from Arizona to the Gulf of California?
3. What did Chris do in the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park?
4. Why do people still come to the site where the bus stands?
5. How are letters written by Ruess and Chris another point of similarity in their stories?
6. How does Krakauer compare and contrast Chris and his father?
7. When Jim Gallien picked Chris up, what went through the back of his mind?
8. What is Krakauer's summary of Chris's actions during the time he was looking for work to save up for Alaska?
9. Explain the origins of the Stampede Trail.
10. What are some particulars about Alex (Chris) deciding to go to San Diego?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look up four or five edible wild plants and write about them. Tell where to find them, how to prepare them for eating, whether they must be cooked, and any danger of confusing them with another plant that is poisonous.
Essay Topic 2
Gather information about Jack London. Write about how Chris admired his description of survival in the Alaskan wilderness but did not recognize it as fiction written by a man who never did the things included in his book, CALL OF THE WILD.
Essay Topic 3
Write about mountain climbing and the kinds of people who are compelled to do that. Use examples from the book as well as any information you find about other mountain climbers. Sir Edmond Hillery and Mr. Everest might be a good example.
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)