Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the origin of the Stampede Trail?
2. Near what famous landmark did Chris McCandless die?
3. What was located at Oh-My-God Hot Springs?
4. How does Chapter 1 begin?
5. What strange actions did Chris take right after graduating college?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chris's journal, what did he think was happening to him?
2. Discuss Chris's abandonment of his beloved Datsun.
3. Tell how Krakauer disliked the assertion from so many people that Chris had foolishly thrown away his life.
4. Discuss the difference between Chris's treatment of his parents and the way he treated strangers.
5. Explain Jim Gillien's difficulty in contacting the Alaska police.
6. What two things was Gallien able to provide the Alaska authorities?
7. What is so unusual about Chris's never seeing another human being while he was camped at the bus?
8. What kind of work made Walt McCandless such a success?
9. Explain the origins of the Stampede Trail.
10. What happened to Chris's plan to paddle a canoe from Arizona to the Gulf of California?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay expressing your opinion of Chris McCandless. Answer whether he was mentally stable, how he did or did not use people, whether he might have survived except for some bad luck, and how well he was prepared to survive alone.
Essay Topic 2
Write your opinion of how Chris McCandless might have changed had he survived. Some of the passages he underscored in books he was reading might give you some insight into how he might have been after leaving Alaska.
Essay Topic 3
Write about mountain climbing and the kinds of people who are compelled to do that. Use examples from the book as well as any information you find about other mountain climbers. Sir Edmond Hillery and Mr. Everest might be a good example.
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)