|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Franz offered to give Chris a ride to his campsite, what is it he didn't know?
2. Why did Chris write in his journal that hiking around Lake Meade was a mistake?
3. What is The Slabs?
4. When Chris corresponded with his sister, what did he confide to her?
5. How had Chris already been separating himself from his family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was there a break in Chris's journal entries after he left Las Vegas in 1991?
2. Describe the evidence at the opening of Chapter 1 that indicates Chris might have had a premonition about his death.
3. Discuss Chris's abandonment of his beloved Datsun.
4. What kind of place was The Slabs?
5. What impression did Chris make on Ron Franz?
6. Talk about the indication that Chris was planning for the Alaska trip to be his last adventure.
7. What did Chris do in the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park?
8. When Jim Gallien picked Chris up, what went through the back of his mind?
9. What happened to Chris's plan to paddle a canoe from Arizona to the Gulf of California?
10. How was Westerberg able to help the police with their further investigation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write your opinion of how Chris McCandless might have changed had he survived. Some of the passages he underscored in books he was reading might give you some insight into how he might have been after leaving Alaska.
Essay Topic 2
Look up information about the Mojave Desert and write an essay about the advisability of trying to exist alone in a place like that. Give your opinion about what might have happened to Chris in the Mojave Desert when he is reported to have nearly died.
Essay Topic 3
Interview someone who has had an unusual travel adventure and write their story. It can be any kind of travel adventure and not just a solo trip living off the land. Ask questions about the people they met and the descriptions of the places they visited.
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)