|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What story does Krakauer tell that resembles Chris's in many ways?
2. What happened when the moose hunters got to the bus where they plan to camp out?
3. What was the official verdict on the cause of death?
4. Who had left Chris a $40,000 inheritance for his school?
5. What parallel does Krakauer draw between Chris and Carl McCunn?
Short Essay Questions
1. What impression did Chris make on Ron Franz?
2. Tell something about Chris's connection to Jan Burres and her boyfriend Bob.
3. What did Chris do in the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park?
4. What is a literary parallel between Chris and Ruess?
5. Why do people still come to the site where the bus stands?
6. Discuss the difference between Chris's treatment of his parents and the way he treated strangers.
7. Describe Jim Gallien's difficulty contacting the Alaska state troopers.
8. When hunters discovered Chris's body in September of 1992, what did they decide to do?
9. How did Wayne Westerberg come to notify the police?
10. What happened to Chris's plan to paddle a canoe from Arizona to the Gulf of California?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write about respect for authority. Using the example of Chris failing one course, physics, because he refused to turn in his assignments according to the way the professor wanted them. Then broaden the point of view. You may want to write about taggers (delinquents who paint graffiti on public buildings). Conclude with your idea about what society would be like if everyone simply did whatever he or she pleased without regard to others or the law.
Essay Topic 2
Write a fictitious story about meeting Chris McCandless. Place yourself in one of the locations where Chris was (e.g. the McDonald's in Bullhead City, on the Colorado River, at Oh-My-God Hot Springs, in a railroad freight car, etc.) and write your story as a dialog between you and him.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay expressing your opinion of Chris McCandless. Answer whether he was mentally stable, how he did or did not use people, whether he might have survived except for some bad luck, and how well he was prepared to survive alone.
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)