|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What message did Chris leave taped to the door of the bus?
2. What did Chris and Ruess each do shortly before their deaths?
3. Why did Christ steal a bicycle in Northern California?
4. What appears to be Krakauer's main motive in writing Into The Wild?
5. What story does Krakauer tell that resembles Chris's in many ways?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Chris do in the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park?
2. Jon Krakauer wrote an article about Chris McCandless for OUTSIDE magazine in January of 1993. Explain why Krakauer was then compelled to write the book, Into The Wild
3. How did there happen to be an abandoned bus where Chris could find it?
4. What are some particulars about Alex (Chris) deciding to go to San Diego?
5. How are letters written by Ruess and Chris another point of similarity in their stories?
6. Describe the first indication that Walt and Billie McCandless had of where Chris might be.
7. Why do people still come to the site where the bus stands?
8. Explain why Krakauer traveled to Carthage, South Dakota.
9. Why was there a break in Chris's journal entries after he left Las Vegas in 1991?
10. Discuss the inconsistency of Chris and his ideas about money.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write about respect for authority. Using the example of Chris failing one course, physics, because he refused to turn in his assignments according to the way the professor wanted them. Then broaden the point of view. You may want to write about taggers (delinquents who paint graffiti on public buildings). Conclude with your idea about what society would be like if everyone simply did whatever he or she pleased without regard to others or the law.
Essay Topic 2
Write a critique of Krakauer's Into The Wild. Address such things as (1) Krakauer's motive for writing the book and how well you think he succeeded, (2) Krakauer's writing style and how easy or difficult it is to read the book, (3) the value of the subject matter and how it might or might not relate to readers.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about loneliness. Using Ron Franz as an example, write about how losing loved ones can affect one's life and what one can do to fill the void. Give your opinion of Ron Franz as to whether he had a good plan for living alone.
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)