|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom did Chris send a postcard from Bullhead City?
2. What complication did Chris face while living in The Slabs?
3. Who does Krakauer mention who had done something similar to what Chris did and survived?
4. On his last trip to Carthage, who is the woman Chris became close with?
5. Where did Chris live while he was in Carthage?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Jim Gallien picked Chris up, what went through the back of his mind?
2. How does Krakauer rebut the idea that Chris was a reckless idiot, a wacko, a narcissist?
3. Tell how Krakauer disliked the assertion from so many people that Chris had foolishly thrown away his life.
4. Discuss the difference between Chris's treatment of his parents and the way he treated strangers.
5. Discuss Chris's abandonment of his beloved Datsun.
6. Jon Krakauer wrote an article about Chris McCandless for OUTSIDE magazine in January of 1993. Explain why Krakauer was then compelled to write the book, Into The Wild
7. Why was there a break in Chris's journal entries after he left Las Vegas in 1991?
8. How abrupt was Chris's separation from his family?
9. Why does Krakauer mention the papar at the end of Chapter 9?
10. How does Krakauer compare and contrast Chris and his father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on romanticism as it pertains to frontier adventure. Use Chris, Krakauer, and Ruess from the book, but also include frontiersmen from American history and those adventurers who are at the forefront of space exploration.
Essay Topic 2
Write about an extended trip you would like to take? Would you go alone? Would you not carry money and expect to find jobs to pay your way? Would you do any camping? Where would you go and how long would you stay?
Essay Topic 3
Given the amount of information Krakauer includes about Chris's abilities, write and OP-ED piece about another successful course Chris might have taken to realize his ideals. You might want to have him go into the Peace Corps or get involved in something like Habitat for Humanity.
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)