|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Krakauer mention who had done something similar to what Chris did and survived?
2. Where did Jim Gallien first encounter Chris?
3. In Chris's relationships with people, what is the most striking contradiction?
4. What is Krakauer's obvious purpose of including the information in Chapter 9?
5. What is Davis Gulch?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Krakauer rebut the idea that Chris was a reckless idiot, a wacko, a narcissist?
2. Discuss the difference between Chris's treatment of his parents and the way he treated strangers.
3. What are some particulars about Alex (Chris) deciding to go to San Diego?
4. Explain why Krakauer traveled to Carthage, South Dakota.
5. Describe Jim Gallien's difficulty contacting the Alaska state troopers.
6. What two things was Gallien able to provide the Alaska authorities?
7. What is clear about the author's intentions in writing this book?
8. How does Krakauer compare and contrast Chris and his father?
9. Explain why Gallien decided not to notify the authorities of Chris's plan.
10. How abrupt was Chris's separation from his family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a fictitious story about meeting Chris McCandless. Place yourself in one of the locations where Chris was (e.g. the McDonald's in Bullhead City, on the Colorado River, at Oh-My-God Hot Springs, in a railroad freight car, etc.) and write your story as a dialog between you and him.
Essay Topic 2
Look up information about the Mojave Desert and write an essay about the advisability of trying to exist alone in a place like that. Give your opinion about what might have happened to Chris in the Mojave Desert when he is reported to have nearly died.
Essay Topic 3
Interview someone who has had an unusual travel adventure and write their story. It can be any kind of travel adventure and not just a solo trip living off the land. Ask questions about the people they met and the descriptions of the places they visited.
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)