|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What message did Chris leave taped to the door of the bus?
2. What did Chris tell Gallien his plans were?
3. Why does Krakauer devote Chapter 9 to the story of Everett Ruess?
4. What is the origin of the Stampede Trail?
5. After a semester at UCLA and a winter in San Francisco, what did Ruess do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Tell something about Chris's connection to Jan Burres and her boyfriend Bob.
2. What impression did Chris make on Ron Franz?
3. What did Chris do in the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park?
4. Jon Krakauer wrote an article about Chris McCandless for OUTSIDE magazine in January of 1993. Explain why Krakauer was then compelled to write the book, Into The Wild
5. What are some particulars about Alex (Chris) deciding to go to San Diego?
6. Explain why Krakauer traveled to Carthage, South Dakota.
7. Explain why Gallien decided not to notify the authorities of Chris's plan.
8. Describe Jim Gallien's difficulty contacting the Alaska state troopers.
9. Why do people still come to the site where the bus stands?
10. When Jim Gallien picked Chris up, what went through the back of his mind?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay expressing your opinion of Chris McCandless. Answer whether he was mentally stable, how he did or did not use people, whether he might have survived except for some bad luck, and how well he was prepared to survive alone.
Essay Topic 2
Write about mountain climbing and the kinds of people who are compelled to do that. Use examples from the book as well as any information you find about other mountain climbers. Sir Edmond Hillery and Mr. Everest might be a good example.
Essay Topic 3
Write about other people's opinions of a person. Use the examples of what Westerberg, Jan, and Franz had to say about Chris when Krakauer interviewed them. Did they express opinions that they never expressed to Chris himself? Include the confusion of Walt McCandless as he talked to Krakauer seven weeks after Chris died.
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)