|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do some people think about Chris McCandless?
2. Although Waterman became something of a local hero, what job did he have in Fairbanks?
3. How did Chris get to San Francisco?
4. What does Krakauer suggest shows that Chris was not mentally ill?
5. What is Krakauer's message by using the details of the moose hunter's trip to the bus?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Jim Gallien picked Chris up, what went through the back of his mind?
2. What items did Billie and Walt McCandless leave behind in the bus?
3. When hunters discovered Chris's body in September of 1992, what did they decide to do?
4. How was Krakauer's Alaska experience different from Chris's?
5. How does swainsonine become lethal in the body?
6. How did Chris manage the last leg of his trip into Fairbanks?
7. What did Chris do in the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park?
8. What are some particulars about Alex (Chris) deciding to go to San Diego?
9. Who was Sam McCandless, and why was he the one to notify Chris's parents?
10. Why was there a break in Chris's journal entries after he left Las Vegas in 1991?
Essay Topic 1
Write a critique of Krakauer's Into The Wild. Address such things as (1) Krakauer's motive for writing the book and how well you think he succeeded, (2) Krakauer's writing style and how easy or difficult it is to read the book, (3) the value of the subject matter and how it might or might not relate to readers.
Essay Topic 2
Write about an extended trip you would like to take? Would you go alone? Would you not carry money and expect to find jobs to pay your way? Would you do any camping? Where would you go and how long would you stay?
Essay Topic 3
Write your opinion of how Chris McCandless might have changed had he survived. Some of the passages he underscored in books he was reading might give you some insight into how he might have been after leaving Alaska.
This section contains 1,677 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)