|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Walt and Billie McCandless discover when they drive to Chris's apartment in Atlanta?
2. During an interview with Krakauer, what does Westerberg say about Chris?
3. What did Butch Killian want to do when he arrived on the bus scene where Chris had died?
4. What was Chris carrying when he met Jim Gallien?
5. Where had Chris McCandless attended school and graduated with honors?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the relationship Chris developed with the Westerberg family?
2. What did Chris do in the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park?
3. What impression did Chris make on Ron Franz?
4. Describe Walt McCandless as a professional and a businessman.
5. Discuss the difference between Chris's treatment of his parents and the way he treated strangers.
6. What is a literary parallel between Chris and Ruess?
7. Explain the origins of the Stampede Trail.
8. What are some particulars about Alex (Chris) deciding to go to San Diego?
9. What two things was Gallien able to provide the Alaska authorities?
10. What is Krakauer's summary of Chris's actions during the time he was looking for work to save up for Alaska?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gather information about Jack London. Write about how Chris admired his description of survival in the Alaskan wilderness but did not recognize it as fiction written by a man who never did the things included in his book, CALL OF THE WILD.
Essay Topic 2
From information in the book, Into The wild, and other sources, write about the Alaskan wilderness. Discuss whether you think it would be a good place to visit, even with the transportation you might need and all the equipment you would need for such a trip.
Essay Topic 3
Write about mountain climbing and the kinds of people who are compelled to do that. Use examples from the book as well as any information you find about other mountain climbers. Sir Edmond Hillery and Mr. Everest might be a good example.
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)