|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Chris's canoe trip eventually take him after going as far as he could down the Colorado River?
2. How did Chris introduce himself to Gallien?
3. What type of people did Ruess like to spend time with?
4. What does Krakauer suggest shows that Chris was not mentally ill?
5. How does Krakauer classify Chris as opposed to the way most people saw him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Gallien decided not to notify the authorities of Chris's plan.
2. What did Chris do in the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park?
3. Tell how Krakauer disliked the assertion from so many people that Chris had foolishly thrown away his life.
4. What impression did Chris make on Ron Franz?
5. Describe Walt McCandless as a professional and a businessman.
6. Describe Jim Gallien's difficulty contacting the Alaska state troopers.
7. How was Westerberg able to help the police with their further investigation?
8. When Jim Gallien picked Chris up, what went through the back of his mind?
9. Jon Krakauer wrote an article about Chris McCandless for OUTSIDE magazine in January of 1993. Explain why Krakauer was then compelled to write the book, Into The Wild
10. The man Chris describes as a lunatic, Charlie, holds what kind of opinion about Chris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on romanticism as it pertains to frontier adventure. Use Chris, Krakauer, and Ruess from the book, but also include frontiersmen from American history and those adventurers who are at the forefront of space exploration.
Essay Topic 2
Write a critique of Krakauer's Into The Wild. Address such things as (1) Krakauer's motive for writing the book and how well you think he succeeded, (2) Krakauer's writing style and how easy or difficult it is to read the book, (3) the value of the subject matter and how it might or might not relate to readers.
Essay Topic 3
Given the amount of information Krakauer includes about Chris's abilities, write and OP-ED piece about another successful course Chris might have taken to realize his ideals. You might want to have him go into the Peace Corps or get involved in something like Habitat for Humanity.
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)