|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What story does Krakauer tell that resembles Chris's in many ways?
2. How does Krakauer classify Chris as opposed to the way most people saw him?
3. How were Chris's ideals defined in his own mind?
4. What had Chris's mother and father offered to do after he graduated from college?
5. Where did Alex stay outside of Salton City?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Krakauer rebut the idea that Chris was a reckless idiot, a wacko, a narcissist?
2. Why was there a break in Chris's journal entries after he left Las Vegas in 1991?
3. What impression did Chris make on Ron Franz?
4. Describe the first indication that Walt and Billie McCandless had of where Chris might be.
5. What kind of place was The Slabs?
6. When hunters discovered Chris's body in September of 1992, what did they decide to do?
7. When Jim Gallien picked Chris up, what went through the back of his mind?
8. Describe Westerberg's comments to Krakauer two months after Chris died.
9. How was Westerberg able to help the police with their further investigation?
10. What is a literary parallel between Chris and Ruess?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write your opinion of how Chris McCandless might have changed had he survived. Some of the passages he underscored in books he was reading might give you some insight into how he might have been after leaving Alaska.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about Walt and Billie as examples of people working hard to fulfill the American dream. Explain whether you think their ambition might have affected their children. Conclude with your opinion about making money and making a life.
Essay Topic 3
Write about respect for authority. Using the example of Chris failing one course, physics, because he refused to turn in his assignments according to the way the professor wanted them. Then broaden the point of view. You may want to write about taggers (delinquents who paint graffiti on public buildings). Conclude with your idea about what society would be like if everyone simply did whatever he or she pleased without regard to others or the law.
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)