|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened when the moose hunters got to the bus where they plan to camp out?
2. What had Chris's mother and father offered to do after he graduated from college?
3. What story does Krakauer tell that resembles Chris's in many ways?
4. In Chris's relationships with people, what is the most striking contradiction?
5. What symbol is ironic on the leather belt?
Short Essay Questions
1. When hunters discovered Chris's body in September of 1992, what did they decide to do?
2. What was the relationship Chris developed with the Westerberg family?
3. What happened to Chris's plan to paddle a canoe from Arizona to the Gulf of California?
4. What is Krakauer's summary of Chris's actions during the time he was looking for work to save up for Alaska?
5. Describe Westerberg's comments to Krakauer two months after Chris died.
6. Discuss Chris's abandonment of his beloved Datsun.
7. Discuss the inconsistency of Chris and his ideas about money.
8. Describe the evidence at the opening of Chapter 1 that indicates Chris might have had a premonition about his death.
9. What is a literary parallel between Chris and Ruess?
10. What did Chris do in the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write about hitchhiking. What are the dangers? Why do people not pick up hitchhikers very much? Include Gaylord Stuckey, who seldom picked up hitchhikers, and Jim Gallien who picked Chris up even though he was carrying a rifle.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about loneliness. Using Ron Franz as an example, write about how losing loved ones can affect one's life and what one can do to fill the void. Give your opinion of Ron Franz as to whether he had a good plan for living alone.
Essay Topic 3
Interview someone who has had an unusual travel adventure and write their story. It can be any kind of travel adventure and not just a solo trip living off the land. Ask questions about the people they met and the descriptions of the places they visited.
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)