|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Krakauer mention who had done something similar to what Chris did and survived?
2. Still calling himself by another name, Chris met two drifters who befriend him. Who were they?
3. What was Chris carrying when he met Jim Gallien?
4. After a semester at UCLA and a winter in San Francisco, what did Ruess do?
5. How had Chris already been separating himself from his family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Talk about the indication that Chris was planning for the Alaska trip to be his last adventure.
2. Describe the first indication that Walt and Billie McCandless had of where Chris might be.
3. Explain why Krakauer traveled to Carthage, South Dakota.
4. Tell something about Chris's connection to Jan Burres and her boyfriend Bob.
5. Describe Walt McCandless as a professional and a businessman.
6. How abrupt was Chris's separation from his family?
7. Explain the origins of the Stampede Trail.
8. Describe the evidence at the opening of Chapter 1 that indicates Chris might have had a premonition about his death.
9. Tell how Krakauer disliked the assertion from so many people that Chris had foolishly thrown away his life.
10. Discuss Chris's abandonment of his beloved Datsun.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look up information about the Mojave Desert and write an essay about the advisability of trying to exist alone in a place like that. Give your opinion about what might have happened to Chris in the Mojave Desert when he is reported to have nearly died.
Essay Topic 2
Write about other people's opinions of a person. Use the examples of what Westerberg, Jan, and Franz had to say about Chris when Krakauer interviewed them. Did they express opinions that they never expressed to Chris himself? Include the confusion of Walt McCandless as he talked to Krakauer seven weeks after Chris died.
Essay Topic 3
Write about mountain climbing and the kinds of people who are compelled to do that. Use examples from the book as well as any information you find about other mountain climbers. Sir Edmond Hillery and Mr. Everest might be a good example.
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)