|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After surviving 10 years living off the land, what became of Rosellini?
2. How does Krakauer classify Chris as opposed to the way most people saw him?
3. Why did Krakauer include so much about the McCandless family in Chapter 3?
4. When Franz offered to give Chris a ride to his campsite, what is it he didn't know?
5. What device does Krakauer use to open Chapter 1 and subsequent chapters?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Gallien decided not to notify the authorities of Chris's plan.
2. What did Chris do in the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park?
3. Why does Krakauer mention the papar at the end of Chapter 9?
4. How did there happen to be an abandoned bus where Chris could find it?
5. Why do people still come to the site where the bus stands?
6. Describe Walt McCandless as a professional and a businessman.
7. How did Wayne Westerberg come to notify the police?
8. Describe Jim Gallien's difficulty contacting the Alaska state troopers.
9. Discuss the difference between Chris's treatment of his parents and the way he treated strangers.
10. Talk about the indication that Chris was planning for the Alaska trip to be his last adventure.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay expressing your opinion of Chris McCandless. Answer whether he was mentally stable, how he did or did not use people, whether he might have survived except for some bad luck, and how well he was prepared to survive alone.
Essay Topic 2
Write about respect for authority. Using the example of Chris failing one course, physics, because he refused to turn in his assignments according to the way the professor wanted them. Then broaden the point of view. You may want to write about taggers (delinquents who paint graffiti on public buildings). Conclude with your idea about what society would be like if everyone simply did whatever he or she pleased without regard to others or the law.
Essay Topic 3
Interview someone who has had an unusual travel adventure and write their story. It can be any kind of travel adventure and not just a solo trip living off the land. Ask questions about the people they met and the descriptions of the places they visited.
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)