|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Franz offered to give Chris a ride to his campsite, what is it he didn't know?
2. In what area do people who knew Chris agree that he was inexperienced?
3. What message did Chris leave taped to the door of the bus?
4. What did Chris make at Franz's house?
5. Who had carved a passage from the creek up to the dry gulch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What impression did Chris make on Ron Franz?
2. How does Krakauer compare and contrast Chris and his father?
3. What happened to Chris's plan to paddle a canoe from Arizona to the Gulf of California?
4. What is Krakauer's summary of Chris's actions during the time he was looking for work to save up for Alaska?
5. Describe the first indication that Walt and Billie McCandless had of where Chris might be.
6. How does Krakauer rebut the idea that Chris was a reckless idiot, a wacko, a narcissist?
7. When hunters discovered Chris's body in September of 1992, what did they decide to do?
8. Tell how Krakauer disliked the assertion from so many people that Chris had foolishly thrown away his life.
9. Talk about the indication that Chris was planning for the Alaska trip to be his last adventure.
10. Why was there a break in Chris's journal entries after he left Las Vegas in 1991?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write about other people's opinions of a person. Use the examples of what Westerberg, Jan, and Franz had to say about Chris when Krakauer interviewed them. Did they express opinions that they never expressed to Chris himself? Include the confusion of Walt McCandless as he talked to Krakauer seven weeks after Chris died.
Essay Topic 2
Write your opinion about the effect pets can have on one's life. Use the example of Chris and Carine's dog, Buck. Add examples from your life--either pets you have had and been close to or examples of people and their special pets you know.
Essay Topic 3
Look up four or five edible wild plants and write about them. Tell where to find them, how to prepare them for eating, whether they must be cooked, and any danger of confusing them with another plant that is poisonous.
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)