|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Krakauer's thesis about Chris?
2. Why did the employees at McDonald's object to Chris?
3. How does Krakauer classify Chris as opposed to the way most people saw him?
4. How does Krakauer answer Chris's critics?
5. How did Chris introduce himself to Gallien?
Short Essay Questions
1. Talk about the indication that Chris was planning for the Alaska trip to be his last adventure.
2. How does Krakauer compare and contrast Chris and his father?
3. Describe the first indication that Walt and Billie McCandless had of where Chris might be.
4. Carine knew that Chris was leaving but she didn't know where he was going. Why?
5. Describe Walt McCandless as a professional and a businessman.
6. How did Chris manage the last leg of his trip into Fairbanks?
7. Explain Chris's lack of readiness for his Alaskan adventure.
8. What was Chris's problem with his parents monetary success?
9. What was the irony Krakauer thought about as he kept attempting to climb Devil's Thumb?
10. As Krakauer, visiting the site, stood on the banks of the raging Teklanika River, what advantage did he have that Chris did not have?
Essay Topic 1
From information in the book, Into The wild, and other sources, write about the Alaskan wilderness. Discuss whether you think it would be a good place to visit, even with the transportation you might need and all the equipment you would need for such a trip.
Essay Topic 2
Write a fictitious story about meeting Chris McCandless. Place yourself in one of the locations where Chris was (e.g. the McDonald's in Bullhead City, on the Colorado River, at Oh-My-God Hot Springs, in a railroad freight car, etc.) and write your story as a dialog between you and him.
Essay Topic 3
Look up information about the Mojave Desert and write an essay about the advisability of trying to exist alone in a place like that. Give your opinion about what might have happened to Chris in the Mojave Desert when he is reported to have nearly died.
This section contains 1,680 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)