|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What problem did Killian have in contacting the authorities?
2. What similar classic books are favorites of Ruess and Chris?
3. What type of people did Ruess like to spend time with?
4. What feat did Waterman achieve in 1978?
5. Why was author Jon Krakauer interested in writing Chris's story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the first indication that Walt and Billie McCandless had of where Chris might be.
2. Describe the evidence at the opening of Chapter 1 that indicates Chris might have had a premonition about his death.
3. What are some particulars about Alex (Chris) deciding to go to San Diego?
4. Discuss Chris's abandonment of his beloved Datsun.
5. Tell something about Chris's connection to Jan Burres and her boyfriend Bob.
6. Explain why Gallien decided not to notify the authorities of Chris's plan.
7. What did Chris do in the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park?
8. What two things was Gallien able to provide the Alaska authorities?
9. Describe Jim Gallien's difficulty contacting the Alaska state troopers.
10. How does Krakauer rebut the idea that Chris was a reckless idiot, a wacko, a narcissist?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write about respect for authority. Using the example of Chris failing one course, physics, because he refused to turn in his assignments according to the way the professor wanted them. Then broaden the point of view. You may want to write about taggers (delinquents who paint graffiti on public buildings). Conclude with your idea about what society would be like if everyone simply did whatever he or she pleased without regard to others or the law.
Essay Topic 2
Write your opinion of how Chris McCandless might have changed had he survived. Some of the passages he underscored in books he was reading might give you some insight into how he might have been after leaving Alaska.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on romanticism as it pertains to frontier adventure. Use Chris, Krakauer, and Ruess from the book, but also include frontiersmen from American history and those adventurers who are at the forefront of space exploration.
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)