|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gift did Walt give Billie after the birth of Chris?
(a) A leather bound copy of Leaves of Grass.
(b) The Gianni guitar that was left in the yellow Datson.
(c) A vacation in Paris.
(d) A 3-carat diamond ring.
2. What sad discovery does Krakauer make just a quarter mile down stream on the river?
(a) There is a ranger station stocked with all kinds of food.
(b) There is an old bridge that a person could walk across.
(c) At the now defunct station, a steel cable stretches across the river with an aluminum basket suspended from this cable by pulleys.
(d) There is evidence that Chris came that far and went back.
3. What did Billie leave in the bus?
(a) Three heavy blankets.
(b) A suitcase filled with emergency food supplies.
(c) A set of steel plates and cups.
(d) A down coat and some matches.
4. Why did Chris write in his journal that he had found the Magic Bus?
(a) Because it popped up out of nowhere.
(b) Because it saved him from having to pitch his tent.
(c) Because it reminded him of a magic flying machine.
(d) Because it was stocked with wilderness essentials by the hunters who use it during moose season.
5. What family outings did the McCandless family mention to Krakauer?
(a) A beach house in Cape Cod.
(b) Going to the Grand Canyon every year.
(c) Camping trips with an Airstream Trailer.
(d) A yearly trip to Texas.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Krakauer think Chris could not excrete poison from his body?
2. What does Carine recall that Chris loved so much?
3. What does Krakauer think actually killed Chris?
4. How does Roman Dial, who teaches at the University of Alaska, interpret Chris's actions?
5. What emotional experience disturbed Chris while he is staying in the bus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What discovery did Chris make the summer after his freshman year in college that drove a deeper wedge between him and his father?
2. What discovery about himself did Krakauer make after conquering Devil's Thumb?
3. Describe why the McCandlesses could not take the exact trek to the bus that Chris had taken.
4. What was Chris's problem with his parents monetary success?
5. What indicates to Krakauer that there was a very close relationship between Carine and Chris?
6. What items did Billie and Walt McCandless leave behind in the bus?
7. How does swainsonine become lethal in the body?
8. Explain Jim Gillien's difficulty in contacting the Alaska police.
9. Who was Sam McCandless, and why was he the one to notify Chris's parents?
10. What was the irony Krakauer thought about as he kept attempting to climb Devil's Thumb?
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)