|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Chris left home, why didnn't Carine get upset when he won't tell her where he was?
(a) She thought their father would try to bring him home if he knew.
(b) She didn't want to know because she didn't care.
(c) She was glad he was gone so she could have his room.
(d) She knew Chris was happy and thought he would come home some day.
2. What connection did Jim Gallien make when he read the article about Chris's death?
(a) The empty bag of rice the article said the police found in the bus reminded him of the hitchhiker he'd picked up.
(b) The rubber boots the news article mentioned were the ones he'd given Chris.
(c) Chris was the young hitchhiker he had given a ride to the Stampede Trail.
(d) The .22-caliber rifle they found in the bus was the same as the hitchhiker's he'd given a ride to.
3. When did Jon Krakauer interview Walt McCandless?
(a) Seven weeks after Chris's body was recovered.
(b) A year after Chris died.
(c) On what would have been Chris's birthday.
(d) Never. He would not speak with Krakauer.
4. What did Chris do the summer after his sophomore year in college?
(a) He took a cross country hike.
(b) He worked in a garage to make money to buy his Datsun.
(c) He spent the entire summer with his sister, Carine.
(d) He returned to Annandale and wrote a flawless software program.
5. What kind of business do Carine and her husband operate?
(a) A daycare for the elderly.
(b) An auto repair business.
(c) A publishing company.
(d) An electronics shop.
Short Answer Questions
1. In light of his own experiences, what does Krakauer think of Chris's tactics?
2. What was in the McCandless house that speaks to the feelings of Walt and Billie McCandless toward Chris?
3. What is so poignant about the final photograph Chris took of himself holding his good-bye note?
4. Who gave Krakauer dinner and a place to sleep in Petersberg?
5. What evidence does Krakauer find that suggests Chris was ready to re-enter society?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Krakauer, visiting the site, stood on the banks of the raging Teklanika River, what advantage did he have that Chris did not have?
2. How does swainsonine become lethal in the body?
3. Carine knew that Chris was leaving but she didn't know where he was going. Why?
4. Describe why the McCandlesses could not take the exact trek to the bus that Chris had taken.
5. What do Carine and her parents regret after the fact of Chris's death?
6. What defense does Krakauer make of Chris's ability to survive in the wild?
7. Explain Jim Gillien's difficulty in contacting the Alaska police.
8. In Chris's journal, what did he think was happening to him?
9. What is so unusual about Chris's never seeing another human being while he was camped at the bus?
10. What kind of work made Walt McCandless such a success?
This section contains 1,132 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)