|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Krakauer was at the mountain he came to climb, what enhanced his emotions?
(a) The cheers of the people who came to see him off.
(b) Two sturdy aluminum curtain rods with him, lashed in a cross shape, to prevent him from falling into a crevasse.
(c) The clean air which gave him an oxygen high.
(d) The beauty of the snowy terrain and clear sky was intensified for him by his solitude.
2. What daunting challenge did Krakauer set for himself as a young man?
(a) To find out how much terror he can stand.
(b) To prove that he is always right.
(c) To scale a mountain called the Devils Thumb alone.
(d) To ski down Mt. McKinley.
3. In light of his own experiences, what does Krakauer think of Chris's tactics?
(a) Except for a bit of bad luck, Chris was right to do what he did.
(b) They are understandable but not justifiable.
(c) More young people should do what chris did.
(d) They are exemplary.
4. How does Krakauer interpret the evidence he gathered about Chris?
(a) He thinks that Chris was completely irrational and contributed to his own death.
(b) He believes that Chris immersed himself in nature in an effort to isolate himself from human society.
(c) He sees Chris as a hopeles greenhorn without any knowledge of the terrain.
(d) He suggests that someone else was in the bus and refused to help Chris.
5. How did Chris travel the 1,000 miles from Laird, Alaska, to Fairbanks?
(a) Hitchhiking, he got a series of rides.
(b) He walked most of the way.
(c) A truck driver named Gaylord Stuckey picked him up.
(d) Jim Gallien gave him a lift.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Billie realize as she get to the bus?
2. What affected the eating habits of Chris's family?
3. What similarity is there between Jon's relationship with his father and Chris's relationship with Walt?
4. What does Carine recall that Chris loved so much?
5. What did Billie leave in the bus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What discovery did Chris make the summer after his freshman year in college that drove a deeper wedge between him and his father?
2. Explain Jim Gillien's difficulty in contacting the Alaska police.
3. Who was Sam McCandless, and why was he the one to notify Chris's parents?
4. In Chris's journal, what did he think was happening to him?
5. What is so unusual about Chris's never seeing another human being while he was camped at the bus?
6. What items did Billie and Walt McCandless leave behind in the bus?
7. Carine knew that Chris was leaving but she didn't know where he was going. Why?
8. What kind of work made Walt McCandless such a success?
9. Describe why the McCandlesses could not take the exact trek to the bus that Chris had taken.
10. How was Krakauer's Alaska experience different from Chris's?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)