|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sad discovery does Krakauer make just a quarter mile down stream on the river?
(a) There is a ranger station stocked with all kinds of food.
(b) There is an old bridge that a person could walk across.
(c) At the now defunct station, a steel cable stretches across the river with an aluminum basket suspended from this cable by pulleys.
(d) There is evidence that Chris came that far and went back.
2. What is significant about the cloth belt Krakauer founds in the bus?
(a) It must have been made when Chris got too thin for his jeans.
(b) He seemd to have made it to tie up his paperback books.
(c) Chris had made it to keep himself busy.
(d) Chris probably didn't want to ruin the leather belt he had made at Ron Franz's house.
3. What is significant about August 5?
(a) It was Chris's birthday.
(b) It was the day he killed the caribou.
(c) It was the day the moose hunters found his body.
(d) It was Chris's 100th day in the wilderness.
4. Why did Chris write in his journal that he had found the Magic Bus?
(a) Because it reminded him of a magic flying machine.
(b) Because it was stocked with wilderness essentials by the hunters who use it during moose season.
(c) Because it saved him from having to pitch his tent.
(d) Because it popped up out of nowhere.
5. What is prominently displayed in Carine McCandless's home?
(a) Two photographs of her brother, Chris.
(b) All of Chris's track trophies.
(c) A painting she did of her brother, Chris.
(d) A scrapbook of news clippings about Chris.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Westerberg able to help the police?
2. How is Carine different from Chris?
3. At the time of publication of the notice of Chris's death, what problem did the police have?
4. What does Krakauer think actually killed Chris?
5. What ambitions did Jon Krakauer's father have for all of his children?
Short Essay Questions
1. What discovery about himself did Krakauer make after conquering Devil's Thumb?
2. How does swainsonine become lethal in the body?
3. What defense does Krakauer make of Chris's ability to survive in the wild?
4. What discovery did Chris make the summer after his freshman year in college that drove a deeper wedge between him and his father?
5. Explain Jim Gillien's difficulty in contacting the Alaska police.
6. What was the irony Krakauer thought about as he kept attempting to climb Devil's Thumb?
7. What do Carine and her parents regret after the fact of Chris's death?
8. Who was Sam McCandless, and why was he the one to notify Chris's parents?
9. What was Chris's problem with his parents monetary success?
10. What is so unusual about Chris's never seeing another human being while he was camped at the bus?
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)