|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of business do Carine and her husband operate?
(a) A daycare for the elderly.
(b) An electronics shop.
(c) An auto repair business.
(d) A publishing company.
2. When did Jon Krakauer interview Walt McCandless?
(a) Seven weeks after Chris's body was recovered.
(b) On what would have been Chris's birthday.
(c) Never. He would not speak with Krakauer.
(d) A year after Chris died.
3. What important work does Walt McCandless do?
(b) Advanced radar technology.
(c) CIA undercover.
(d) Nuclear physicist.
4. How far did Chris travel on the Stampede Trail before he located the abandoned bus?
(a) Forty miles.
(b) A mile and a half.
(c) Twenty miles.
(d) Ten miles.
5. What gift did Walt give Billie after the birth of Chris?
(a) A leather bound copy of Leaves of Grass.
(b) A 3-carat diamond ring.
(c) The Gianni guitar that was left in the yellow Datson.
(d) A vacation in Paris.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Carine recall that Chris loved so much?
2. How does Roman Dial, who teaches at the University of Alaska, interpret Chris's actions?
3. What was the skeleton in Walt's closet that stressed the whole family, Chris in particular?
4. What information does Gallien provide the police?
5. What sad discovery does Krakauer make just a quarter mile down stream on the river?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Sam McCandless, and why was he the one to notify Chris's parents?
2. What items did Billie and Walt McCandless leave behind in the bus?
3. Explain Jim Gillien's difficulty in contacting the Alaska police.
4. How did Chris manage the last leg of his trip into Fairbanks?
5. What was the irony Krakauer thought about as he kept attempting to climb Devil's Thumb?
6. How was Krakauer's Alaska experience different from Chris's?
7. Carine knew that Chris was leaving but she didn't know where he was going. Why?
8. What do Carine and her parents regret after the fact of Chris's death?
9. To show his kindred spirit with Chris, what does Krakauer write about in Chapter 14?
10. What kind of work made Walt McCandless such a success?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)