|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What similarity is there between Jon's relationship with his father and Chris's relationship with Walt?
(a) Both fathers were weak willed and seldom gave their children advice.
(b) Both fathers turned out to be bigamists.
(c) Both fathers were old and out of touch.
(d) Secrets were revealed and both young men resented the hypocracy.
2. What connection did Jim Gallien make when he read the article about Chris's death?
(a) The .22-caliber rifle they found in the bus was the same as the hitchhiker's he'd given a ride to.
(b) The empty bag of rice the article said the police found in the bus reminded him of the hitchhiker he'd picked up.
(c) Chris was the young hitchhiker he had given a ride to the Stampede Trail.
(d) The rubber boots the news article mentioned were the ones he'd given Chris.
3. What ambitions did Jon Krakauer's father have for all of his children?
(a) That they would leave home and be on their own after high school.
(b) That they would all enter the family business.
(c) That they would excell in sports.
(d) That they would attend Ivy League schools.
4. After Chris left home, why didnn't Carine get upset when he won't tell her where he was?
(a) She didn't want to know because she didn't care.
(b) She was glad he was gone so she could have his room.
(c) She knew Chris was happy and thought he would come home some day.
(d) She thought their father would try to bring him home if he knew.
5. What daunting challenge did Krakauer set for himself as a young man?
(a) To ski down Mt. McKinley.
(b) To find out how much terror he can stand.
(c) To prove that he is always right.
(d) To scale a mountain called the Devils Thumb alone.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gave Krakauer dinner and a place to sleep in Petersberg?
2. Why does Krakauer relate his own experiences in Chapter 14?
3. What did the bones outside the bus reveal?
4. August 12, Chris left the bus to forage for berries. What did the note he left on the door say?
5. Chris's parents had moved, but his step brother was contacted. After he positively identified Chris, what did he do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Sam McCandless, and why was he the one to notify Chris's parents?
2. As Krakauer, visiting the site, stood on the banks of the raging Teklanika River, what advantage did he have that Chris did not have?
3. What items did Billie and Walt McCandless leave behind in the bus?
4. To show his kindred spirit with Chris, what does Krakauer write about in Chapter 14?
5. In Chris's journal, what did he think was happening to him?
6. What defense does Krakauer make of Chris's ability to survive in the wild?
7. How does swainsonine become lethal in the body?
8. What is so unusual about Chris's never seeing another human being while he was camped at the bus?
9. How did Chris manage the last leg of his trip into Fairbanks?
10. What indicates to Krakauer that there was a very close relationship between Carine and Chris?
This section contains 1,158 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)