|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two requests did Stuckey make of Alex as they parted company?
(a) Change his mind and go back to the Westerbergs.
(b) Write him a letter when he returns and call his parents before he goes into the wilderness.
(c) Send him photos of his adventure and notify the forrest service where he will be.
(d) Wait until spring and work to get money for better boots.
2. At the time of publication of the notice of Chris's death, what problem did the police have?
(a) They had beed unable to get the body out.
(b) They did not have forensic labs in that part of Alaska.
(c) They had been unable to identify him.
(d) They had no response from the public about the body.
3. What similarity is there between Jon's relationship with his father and Chris's relationship with Walt?
(a) Both fathers were weak willed and seldom gave their children advice.
(b) Secrets were revealed and both young men resented the hypocracy.
(c) Both fathers turned out to be bigamists.
(d) Both fathers were old and out of touch.
4. What is so poignant about the final photograph Chris took of himself holding his good-bye note?
(a) The end of his good-bye note says he will see everyone in a month.
(b) His emaciated frame contrasts with the smile on his face.
(c) It is blurry because he was too weak to hold the camera steady.
(d) He doesn't realize that he is holding the note upside down.
5. What information does Gallien provide the police?
(a) That Alex had mentioned a friend named Ron in California.
(b) That Alex's real name was Chris McCandless.
(c) That the young man had called himself Alex and had come from South Dakota.
(d) That Alex was coughing bad when he dropped him off.
Short Answer Questions
1. August 12, Chris left the bus to forage for berries. What did the note he left on the door say?
2. How far did Chris travel on the Stampede Trail before he located the abandoned bus?
3. A year after Chris's death, what did Krakauer observe on the banks of the Teklanika River where Chris had been unable to cross?
4. What is significant about the cloth belt Krakauer founds in the bus?
5. What was in the McCandless house that speaks to the feelings of Walt and Billie McCandless toward Chris?
Short Essay Questions
1. What defense does Krakauer make of Chris's ability to survive in the wild?
2. How did Chris manage the last leg of his trip into Fairbanks?
3. What was the irony Krakauer thought about as he kept attempting to climb Devil's Thumb?
4. In Chris's journal, what did he think was happening to him?
5. What do Carine and her parents regret after the fact of Chris's death?
6. What discovery about himself did Krakauer make after conquering Devil's Thumb?
7. Explain Jim Gillien's difficulty in contacting the Alaska police.
8. Describe why the McCandlesses could not take the exact trek to the bus that Chris had taken.
9. What kind of work made Walt McCandless such a success?
10. What discovery did Chris make the summer after his freshman year in college that drove a deeper wedge between him and his father?
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)