|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Jon Krakauer interview Walt McCandless?
(a) Seven weeks after Chris's body was recovered.
(b) On what would have been Chris's birthday.
(c) Never. He would not speak with Krakauer.
(d) A year after Chris died.
2. How far did Chris travel on the Stampede Trail before he located the abandoned bus?
(a) Ten miles.
(b) Twenty miles.
(c) A mile and a half.
(d) Forty miles.
3. August 12, Chris left the bus to forage for berries. What did the note he left on the door say?
(a) "If I do not return, look for me north of the bus."
(b) "There is stew on the stove, go in and help yourself."
(c) It was a desperate plea for assistance signed with his real name.
(d) "Gone fishing, be back in one hour."
4. What is prominently displayed in Carine McCandless's home?
(a) A painting she did of her brother, Chris.
(b) Two photographs of her brother, Chris.
(c) A scrapbook of news clippings about Chris.
(d) All of Chris's track trophies.
5. What was in the McCandless house that speaks to the feelings of Walt and Billie McCandless toward Chris?
(a) Clippings of newspaper articles and magazine stories about Chris.
(b) All of Chris's track trophies lined up on the mantle.
(c) A photo memorial to Chris on the dining room table.
(d) No photos of Chris in the house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is so poignant about the final photograph Chris took of himself holding his good-bye note?
2. What emotional experience disturbed Chris while he is staying in the bus?
3. After Chris left home, why didnn't Carine get upset when he won't tell her where he was?
4. What connection did Jim Gallien make when he read the article about Chris's death?
5. What characteristic of his father's does Krakauer mention as a flaw?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Carine and her parents regret after the fact of Chris's death?
2. What kind of work made Walt McCandless such a success?
3. What was the irony Krakauer thought about as he kept attempting to climb Devil's Thumb?
4. To show his kindred spirit with Chris, what does Krakauer write about in Chapter 14?
5. How does swainsonine become lethal in the body?
6. Describe why the McCandlesses could not take the exact trek to the bus that Chris had taken.
7. What defense does Krakauer make of Chris's ability to survive in the wild?
8. What discovery did Chris make the summer after his freshman year in college that drove a deeper wedge between him and his father?
9. Carine knew that Chris was leaving but she didn't know where he was going. Why?
10. In Chris's journal, what did he think was happening to him?
This section contains 1,078 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)