|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of business do Carine and her husband operate?
(a) A publishing company.
(b) An electronics shop.
(c) An auto repair business.
(d) A daycare for the elderly.
2. Two decades later, what has Krakauer learned about his relationship with his father?
(a) Krakauer learned that he had been right to defy his father.
(b) Krakauer realizes he was selfish, stubborn, and as difficult for his father to deal with as his father's behavior had been for him.
(c) Krakauer learned that he had improved himself by not becoming like his father.
(d) Krakauer learned that his father was always shallow and always would be.
3. After Chris left home, why didnn't Carine get upset when he won't tell her where he was?
(a) She knew Chris was happy and thought he would come home some day.
(b) She was glad he was gone so she could have his room.
(c) She didn't want to know because she didn't care.
(d) She thought their father would try to bring him home if he knew.
4. Why does Krakauer relate his own experiences in Chapter 14?
(a) To show how he was so much better than Chris.
(b) To prove that he had no right to write about Chris.
(c) To show his affinity with Chris.
(d) To see if he is any different now as a mature man.
5. In light of his own experiences, what does Krakauer think of Chris's tactics?
(a) More young people should do what chris did.
(b) They are exemplary.
(c) Except for a bit of bad luck, Chris was right to do what he did.
(d) They are understandable but not justifiable.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened 10 months after Chris's death?
2. How did Chris travel the 1,000 miles from Laird, Alaska, to Fairbanks?
3. A year after Chris's death, what did Krakauer observe on the banks of the Teklanika River where Chris had been unable to cross?
4. At the time of publication of the notice of Chris's death, what problem did the police have?
5. What was in the McCandless house that speaks to the feelings of Walt and Billie McCandless toward Chris?
Short Essay Questions
1. What indicates to Krakauer that there was a very close relationship between Carine and Chris?
2. Carine knew that Chris was leaving but she didn't know where he was going. Why?
3. What items did Billie and Walt McCandless leave behind in the bus?
4. How did Chris manage the last leg of his trip into Fairbanks?
5. How does swainsonine become lethal in the body?
6. What kind of work made Walt McCandless such a success?
7. What is so unusual about Chris's never seeing another human being while he was camped at the bus?
8. Who was Sam McCandless, and why was he the one to notify Chris's parents?
9. How was Krakauer's Alaska experience different from Chris's?
10. To show his kindred spirit with Chris, what does Krakauer write about in Chapter 14?
This section contains 1,083 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)