|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What ambitions did Jon Krakauer's father have for all of his children?
(a) That they would all enter the family business.
(b) That they would excell in sports.
(c) That they would leave home and be on their own after high school.
(d) That they would attend Ivy League schools.
2. What affected the eating habits of Chris's family?
(a) Thinking more about the homeless.
(b) Learning that he starved to death.
(c) Thinking about how they found Chris's body.
(d) Not being able to eat rice.
3. Why does Krakauer think Chris could not excrete poison from his body?
(a) Melted snow water caused him to become severely constipated.
(b) His bowel and urinary sustems had shut down.
(c) His deteriorated body did not have enough glucose and amino acids to bind with the poisons.
(d) He did not have enough white blood cells to fight organisms.
4. Racing against a storm, Krakauer reaches the summit of the Thumb. How does he describe it?
(a) He describes it as the coldest place on earth.
(b) He describes it as a big disappointment.
(c) He describes the summit as malevolent and surreal.
(d) He describes it as breathtakingly beautiful.
5. What characteristic of his father's does Krakauer mention as a flaw?
(a) That his father never climbed a mountain.
(b) That his father worked too many jobs.
(c) That his father was too kind to everyone.
(d) That his father could never admit to being wrong.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Chris leave from on April 15, 1992 on his journey to Alaska?
2. What is prominently displayed in Carine McCandless's home?
3. What family outings did the McCandless family mention to Krakauer?
4. When Krakauer reached an impassable place on the mountain, what did he do?
5. A year after Chris's death, what did Krakauer observe on the banks of the Teklanika River where Chris had been unable to cross?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Chris's problem with his parents monetary success?
2. Who was Sam McCandless, and why was he the one to notify Chris's parents?
3. In Chris's journal, what did he think was happening to him?
4. What was the irony Krakauer thought about as he kept attempting to climb Devil's Thumb?
5. Describe why the McCandlesses could not take the exact trek to the bus that Chris had taken.
6. What defense does Krakauer make of Chris's ability to survive in the wild?
7. What is so unusual about Chris's never seeing another human being while he was camped at the bus?
8. How was Krakauer's Alaska experience different from Chris's?
9. What kind of work made Walt McCandless such a success?
10. What discovery did Chris make the summer after his freshman year in college that drove a deeper wedge between him and his father?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)