|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Chris travel the 1,000 miles from Laird, Alaska, to Fairbanks?
(a) Hitchhiking, he got a series of rides.
(b) He walked most of the way.
(c) A truck driver named Gaylord Stuckey picked him up.
(d) Jim Gallien gave him a lift.
2. What did Walt leave in the bus?
(a) A flashlight and some batteries.
(b) An emergency radio operated by a hand crank.
(c) A memorial plaque.
(d) A book about edible plants in the area.
3. What spurred Krakauer on after his failed attempt to climb Devil's Thumb?
(a) A spider that keeps working after its web breaks.
(b) The prospect of defeat.
(c) The fact that he has enough food to try again.
(d) His mood after he naps.
4. What is significant about the cloth belt Krakauer founds in the bus?
(a) It must have been made when Chris got too thin for his jeans.
(b) Chris had made it to keep himself busy.
(c) Chris probably didn't want to ruin the leather belt he had made at Ron Franz's house.
(d) He seemd to have made it to tie up his paperback books.
5. What emotional experience disturbed Chris while he is staying in the bus?
(a) Bad dreams that hinted of his death.
(b) Thinking about his sister.
(c) Killing a moose and being unable to preserve the meat.
(d) Watching an otter get captured by an eagle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Carine recall that Chris loved so much?
2. What happened to Billie in July of 1992?
3. What did Billie find in the bus?
4. What affected the eating habits of Chris's family?
5. A year after Chris's death, what did Krakauer observe on the banks of the Teklanika River where Chris had been unable to cross?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Sam McCandless, and why was he the one to notify Chris's parents?
2. What was Chris's problem with his parents monetary success?
3. What discovery did Chris make the summer after his freshman year in college that drove a deeper wedge between him and his father?
4. To show his kindred spirit with Chris, what does Krakauer write about in Chapter 14?
5. What kind of work made Walt McCandless such a success?
6. What items did Billie and Walt McCandless leave behind in the bus?
7. What discovery about himself did Krakauer make after conquering Devil's Thumb?
8. What was the irony Krakauer thought about as he kept attempting to climb Devil's Thumb?
9. How was Krakauer's Alaska experience different from Chris's?
10. Describe why the McCandlesses could not take the exact trek to the bus that Chris had taken.
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)