|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Racing against a storm, Krakauer reaches the summit of the Thumb. How does he describe it?
(a) He describes it as a big disappointment.
(b) He describes it as the coldest place on earth.
(c) He describes the summit as malevolent and surreal.
(d) He describes it as breathtakingly beautiful.
2. A year after Chris's death, what did Krakauer observe on the banks of the Teklanika River where Chris had been unable to cross?
(a) The ice was breaking up and the footing was dangerous.
(b) The river was overflowing its banks.
(c) The river is indeed a wide, churning flow of water.
(d) There are dangerous rocks just under the surface of the water.
3. What is prominently displayed in Carine McCandless's home?
(a) A scrapbook of news clippings about Chris.
(b) Two photographs of her brother, Chris.
(c) A painting she did of her brother, Chris.
(d) All of Chris's track trophies.
4. What sad discovery does Krakauer make just a quarter mile down stream on the river?
(a) There is evidence that Chris came that far and went back.
(b) There is an old bridge that a person could walk across.
(c) At the now defunct station, a steel cable stretches across the river with an aluminum basket suspended from this cable by pulleys.
(d) There is a ranger station stocked with all kinds of food.
5. What family outings did the McCandless family mention to Krakauer?
(a) Camping trips with an Airstream Trailer.
(b) Going to the Grand Canyon every year.
(c) A yearly trip to Texas.
(d) A beach house in Cape Cod.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the Candless family not follow the route Chris had taken to get to the bus as Billie wanted?
2. What did Billie realize as she get to the bus?
3. August 12, Chris left the bus to forage for berries. What did the note he left on the door say?
4. How does Roman Dial, who teaches at the University of Alaska, interpret Chris's actions?
5. What affected the eating habits of Chris's family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Chris's problem with his parents monetary success?
2. How was Krakauer's Alaska experience different from Chris's?
3. What was the irony Krakauer thought about as he kept attempting to climb Devil's Thumb?
4. How did Chris manage the last leg of his trip into Fairbanks?
5. What defense does Krakauer make of Chris's ability to survive in the wild?
6. Who was Sam McCandless, and why was he the one to notify Chris's parents?
7. To show his kindred spirit with Chris, what does Krakauer write about in Chapter 14?
8. What is so unusual about Chris's never seeing another human being while he was camped at the bus?
9. What discovery about himself did Krakauer make after conquering Devil's Thumb?
10. As Krakauer, visiting the site, stood on the banks of the raging Teklanika River, what advantage did he have that Chris did not have?
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)