|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is prominently displayed in Carine McCandless's home?
(a) A scrapbook of news clippings about Chris.
(b) All of Chris's track trophies.
(c) Two photographs of her brother, Chris.
(d) A painting she did of her brother, Chris.
2. What emotional experience disturbed Chris while he is staying in the bus?
(a) Watching an otter get captured by an eagle.
(b) Killing a moose and being unable to preserve the meat.
(c) Thinking about his sister.
(d) Bad dreams that hinted of his death.
3. What similarity is there between Jon's relationship with his father and Chris's relationship with Walt?
(a) Both fathers turned out to be bigamists.
(b) Both fathers were weak willed and seldom gave their children advice.
(c) Secrets were revealed and both young men resented the hypocracy.
(d) Both fathers were old and out of touch.
4. How does Roman Dial, who teaches at the University of Alaska, interpret Chris's actions?
(a) He agrees that Chris was borderline neurotic.
(b) He thinks the native Alaskans are right to condemn Chris.
(c) Roman thinks no one should ever attempt what Chris did.
(d) Roman admires McCandless's efforts but would not undertake them himself.
5. What did Billie find in the bus?
(a) A spoon from an old family silverware set.
(b) Photos of her and Walt.
(c) One of Buck's dog collars.
(d) A coffee mug with the family monogram on it.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Carine different from Chris?
2. What happened 10 months after Chris's death?
3. What shows Chris's attitude toward injustices that began when he was in college?
4. What family outings did the McCandless family mention to Krakauer?
5. After Chris left home, why didnn't Carine get upset when he won't tell her where he was?
Short Essay Questions
1. What items did Billie and Walt McCandless leave behind in the bus?
2. What kind of work made Walt McCandless such a success?
3. Describe why the McCandlesses could not take the exact trek to the bus that Chris had taken.
4. In Chris's journal, what did he think was happening to him?
5. What do Carine and her parents regret after the fact of Chris's death?
6. How does swainsonine become lethal in the body?
7. What was the irony Krakauer thought about as he kept attempting to climb Devil's Thumb?
8. What defense does Krakauer make of Chris's ability to survive in the wild?
9. As Krakauer, visiting the site, stood on the banks of the raging Teklanika River, what advantage did he have that Chris did not have?
10. What was Chris's problem with his parents monetary success?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)