|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Krakauer relate his own experiences in Chapter 14?
(a) To show how he was so much better than Chris.
(b) To show his affinity with Chris.
(c) To see if he is any different now as a mature man.
(d) To prove that he had no right to write about Chris.
2. Two decades later, what has Krakauer learned about his relationship with his father?
(a) Krakauer learned that he had improved himself by not becoming like his father.
(b) Krakauer learned that he had been right to defy his father.
(c) Krakauer realizes he was selfish, stubborn, and as difficult for his father to deal with as his father's behavior had been for him.
(d) Krakauer learned that his father was always shallow and always would be.
3. What emotional experience disturbed Chris while he is staying in the bus?
(a) Thinking about his sister.
(b) Killing a moose and being unable to preserve the meat.
(c) Bad dreams that hinted of his death.
(d) Watching an otter get captured by an eagle.
4. What connection did Jim Gallien make when he read the article about Chris's death?
(a) The rubber boots the news article mentioned were the ones he'd given Chris.
(b) The empty bag of rice the article said the police found in the bus reminded him of the hitchhiker he'd picked up.
(c) The .22-caliber rifle they found in the bus was the same as the hitchhiker's he'd given a ride to.
(d) Chris was the young hitchhiker he had given a ride to the Stampede Trail.
5. What two requests did Stuckey make of Alex as they parted company?
(a) Wait until spring and work to get money for better boots.
(b) Change his mind and go back to the Westerbergs.
(c) Send him photos of his adventure and notify the forrest service where he will be.
(d) Write him a letter when he returns and call his parents before he goes into the wilderness.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Roman Dial, who teaches at the University of Alaska, interpret Chris's actions?
2. What important work does Walt McCandless do?
3. After Chris left home, why didnn't Carine get upset when he won't tell her where he was?
4. What is prominently displayed in Carine McCandless's home?
5. At the time of publication of the notice of Chris's death, what problem did the police have?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)