|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How far did Chris travel on the Stampede Trail before he located the abandoned bus?
(a) Ten miles.
(b) A mile and a half.
(c) Forty miles.
(d) Twenty miles.
2. Why does Krakauer relate his own experiences in Chapter 14?
(a) To show his affinity with Chris.
(b) To show how he was so much better than Chris.
(c) To prove that he had no right to write about Chris.
(d) To see if he is any different now as a mature man.
3. After Chris left home, why didnn't Carine get upset when he won't tell her where he was?
(a) She thought their father would try to bring him home if he knew.
(b) She didn't want to know because she didn't care.
(c) She was glad he was gone so she could have his room.
(d) She knew Chris was happy and thought he would come home some day.
4. What affected the eating habits of Chris's family?
(a) Thinking more about the homeless.
(b) Thinking about how they found Chris's body.
(c) Learning that he starved to death.
(d) Not being able to eat rice.
5. What trait did sports reveal in Chris?
(a) He was lazy about training.
(b) He was not interested in competition.
(c) He wanted other people to win.
(d) He did not take defeat well.
Short Answer Questions
1. Two decades later, what has Krakauer learned about his relationship with his father?
2. What connection did Jim Gallien make when he read the article about Chris's death?
3. What information does Gallien provide the police?
4. How did the police know Chris's real last name?
5. What does Krakauer think actually killed Chris?
Short Essay Questions
1. What items did Billie and Walt McCandless leave behind in the bus?
2. What discovery did Chris make the summer after his freshman year in college that drove a deeper wedge between him and his father?
3. What do Carine and her parents regret after the fact of Chris's death?
4. Carine knew that Chris was leaving but she didn't know where he was going. Why?
5. How was Krakauer's Alaska experience different from Chris's?
6. To show his kindred spirit with Chris, what does Krakauer write about in Chapter 14?
7. What kind of work made Walt McCandless such a success?
8. Explain Jim Gillien's difficulty in contacting the Alaska police.
9. What defense does Krakauer make of Chris's ability to survive in the wild?
10. What discovery about himself did Krakauer make after conquering Devil's Thumb?
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)