|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Krakauer think Chris could not excrete poison from his body?
(a) He did not have enough white blood cells to fight organisms.
(b) His deteriorated body did not have enough glucose and amino acids to bind with the poisons.
(c) Melted snow water caused him to become severely constipated.
(d) His bowel and urinary sustems had shut down.
2. How far did Chris travel on the Stampede Trail before he located the abandoned bus?
(a) A mile and a half.
(b) Twenty miles.
(c) Ten miles.
(d) Forty miles.
3. When Krakauer reached an impassable place on the mountain, what did he do?
(a) He started traveling horizontally on the mountain.
(b) He radioed for help.
(c) He sat down and cried.
(d) There was nothing to do but descend.
4. Why does Krakauer relate his own experiences in Chapter 14?
(a) To show his affinity with Chris.
(b) To see if he is any different now as a mature man.
(c) To prove that he had no right to write about Chris.
(d) To show how he was so much better than Chris.
5. How does Roman Dial, who teaches at the University of Alaska, interpret Chris's actions?
(a) Roman thinks no one should ever attempt what Chris did.
(b) Roman admires McCandless's efforts but would not undertake them himself.
(c) He agrees that Chris was borderline neurotic.
(d) He thinks the native Alaskans are right to condemn Chris.
Short Answer Questions
1. In light of his own experiences, what does Krakauer think of Chris's tactics?
2. What was the skeleton in Walt's closet that stressed the whole family, Chris in particular?
3. What characteristic of his father's does Krakauer mention as a flaw?
4. After Chris left home, why didnn't Carine get upset when he won't tell her where he was?
5. How did Chris travel the 1,000 miles from Laird, Alaska, to Fairbanks?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Chris's problem with his parents monetary success?
2. To show his kindred spirit with Chris, what does Krakauer write about in Chapter 14?
3. Explain Jim Gillien's difficulty in contacting the Alaska police.
4. What kind of work made Walt McCandless such a success?
5. In Chris's journal, what did he think was happening to him?
6. What discovery about himself did Krakauer make after conquering Devil's Thumb?
7. How does swainsonine become lethal in the body?
8. What items did Billie and Walt McCandless leave behind in the bus?
9. How was Krakauer's Alaska experience different from Chris's?
10. Carine knew that Chris was leaving but she didn't know where he was going. Why?
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)