|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Krakauer interpret the evidence he gathered about Chris?
(a) He thinks that Chris was completely irrational and contributed to his own death.
(b) He believes that Chris immersed himself in nature in an effort to isolate himself from human society.
(c) He sees Chris as a hopeles greenhorn without any knowledge of the terrain.
(d) He suggests that someone else was in the bus and refused to help Chris.
2. After Chris left home, why didnn't Carine get upset when he won't tell her where he was?
(a) She didn't want to know because she didn't care.
(b) She thought their father would try to bring him home if he knew.
(c) She was glad he was gone so she could have his room.
(d) She knew Chris was happy and thought he would come home some day.
3. What characteristic of his father's does Krakauer mention as a flaw?
(a) That his father worked too many jobs.
(b) That his father was too kind to everyone.
(c) That his father could never admit to being wrong.
(d) That his father never climbed a mountain.
4. What information does Gallien provide the police?
(a) That Alex had mentioned a friend named Ron in California.
(b) That Alex was coughing bad when he dropped him off.
(c) That the young man had called himself Alex and had come from South Dakota.
(d) That Alex's real name was Chris McCandless.
5. What trait did sports reveal in Chris?
(a) He wanted other people to win.
(b) He was lazy about training.
(c) He was not interested in competition.
(d) He did not take defeat well.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Chris leave from on April 15, 1992 on his journey to Alaska?
2. What did Billie realize as she get to the bus?
3. What did Chris do the summer after his sophomore year in college?
4. When Krakauer was at the mountain he came to climb, what enhanced his emotions?
5. What was in the McCandless house that speaks to the feelings of Walt and Billie McCandless toward Chris?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Krakauer, visiting the site, stood on the banks of the raging Teklanika River, what advantage did he have that Chris did not have?
2. What defense does Krakauer make of Chris's ability to survive in the wild?
3. In Chris's journal, what did he think was happening to him?
4. To show his kindred spirit with Chris, what does Krakauer write about in Chapter 14?
5. What discovery did Chris make the summer after his freshman year in college that drove a deeper wedge between him and his father?
6. Describe why the McCandlesses could not take the exact trek to the bus that Chris had taken.
7. What discovery about himself did Krakauer make after conquering Devil's Thumb?
8. Explain Jim Gillien's difficulty in contacting the Alaska police.
9. Carine knew that Chris was leaving but she didn't know where he was going. Why?
10. What is so unusual about Chris's never seeing another human being while he was camped at the bus?
This section contains 1,130 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)