|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Walt leave in the bus?
(a) A memorial plaque.
(b) A flashlight and some batteries.
(c) An emergency radio operated by a hand crank.
(d) A book about edible plants in the area.
2. What was in the McCandless house that speaks to the feelings of Walt and Billie McCandless toward Chris?
(a) All of Chris's track trophies lined up on the mantle.
(b) No photos of Chris in the house.
(c) A photo memorial to Chris on the dining room table.
(d) Clippings of newspaper articles and magazine stories about Chris.
3. Chris's parents had moved, but his step brother was contacted. After he positively identified Chris, what did he do?
(a) Flew to Alaska to claim the body.
(b) Drove to Maryland to inform Chris's parents.
(c) Told his wife that he always knew Chris would end that way.
(d) Contacted Gillien to get more information.
4. What did Billie leave in the bus?
(a) A set of steel plates and cups.
(b) A suitcase filled with emergency food supplies.
(c) Three heavy blankets.
(d) A down coat and some matches.
5. How far did Chris travel on the Stampede Trail before he located the abandoned bus?
(a) Forty miles.
(b) A mile and a half.
(c) Twenty miles.
(d) Ten miles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What affected the eating habits of Chris's family?
2. What shows Chris's attitude toward injustices that began when he was in college?
3. What did the bones outside the bus reveal?
4. What information does Gallien provide the police?
5. What was the skeleton in Walt's closet that stressed the whole family, Chris in particular?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Carine and her parents regret after the fact of Chris's death?
2. What items did Billie and Walt McCandless leave behind in the bus?
3. What was Chris's problem with his parents monetary success?
4. What defense does Krakauer make of Chris's ability to survive in the wild?
5. Explain Jim Gillien's difficulty in contacting the Alaska police.
6. What indicates to Krakauer that there was a very close relationship between Carine and Chris?
7. To show his kindred spirit with Chris, what does Krakauer write about in Chapter 14?
8. How was Krakauer's Alaska experience different from Chris's?
9. What kind of work made Walt McCandless such a success?
10. What was the irony Krakauer thought about as he kept attempting to climb Devil's Thumb?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)