|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Krakauer reached an impassable place on the mountain, what did he do?
(a) He sat down and cried.
(b) There was nothing to do but descend.
(c) He radioed for help.
(d) He started traveling horizontally on the mountain.
2. What happened 10 months after Chris's death?
(a) Billie and Walt got a divorce.
(b) Ten months after McCandless's death, Krakauer, Billie and Walt took a helicopter to the bus site.
(c) The company that owns the bus took it away.
(d) Carine had a dream about Chris.
3. August 12, Chris left the bus to forage for berries. What did the note he left on the door say?
(a) "Gone fishing, be back in one hour."
(b) "There is stew on the stove, go in and help yourself."
(c) "If I do not return, look for me north of the bus."
(d) It was a desperate plea for assistance signed with his real name.
4. What gift did Walt give Billie after the birth of Chris?
(a) A leather bound copy of Leaves of Grass.
(b) A vacation in Paris.
(c) A 3-carat diamond ring.
(d) The Gianni guitar that was left in the yellow Datson.
5. At the time of publication of the notice of Chris's death, what problem did the police have?
(a) They had been unable to identify him.
(b) They had beed unable to get the body out.
(c) They had no response from the public about the body.
(d) They did not have forensic labs in that part of Alaska.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Billie leave in the bus?
2. What was in the McCandless house that speaks to the feelings of Walt and Billie McCandless toward Chris?
3. What is significant about August 5?
4. What sad discovery does Krakauer make just a quarter mile down stream on the river?
5. What affected the eating habits of Chris's family?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does swainsonine become lethal in the body?
2. To show his kindred spirit with Chris, what does Krakauer write about in Chapter 14?
3. Explain Jim Gillien's difficulty in contacting the Alaska police.
4. As Krakauer, visiting the site, stood on the banks of the raging Teklanika River, what advantage did he have that Chris did not have?
5. What was the irony Krakauer thought about as he kept attempting to climb Devil's Thumb?
6. Who was Sam McCandless, and why was he the one to notify Chris's parents?
7. How was Krakauer's Alaska experience different from Chris's?
8. How did Chris manage the last leg of his trip into Fairbanks?
9. What was Chris's problem with his parents monetary success?
10. What do Carine and her parents regret after the fact of Chris's death?
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)