|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Krakauer was at the mountain he came to climb, what enhanced his emotions?
(a) The clean air which gave him an oxygen high.
(b) Two sturdy aluminum curtain rods with him, lashed in a cross shape, to prevent him from falling into a crevasse.
(c) The cheers of the people who came to see him off.
(d) The beauty of the snowy terrain and clear sky was intensified for him by his solitude.
2. In light of his own experiences, what does Krakauer think of Chris's tactics?
(a) They are exemplary.
(b) Except for a bit of bad luck, Chris was right to do what he did.
(c) More young people should do what chris did.
(d) They are understandable but not justifiable.
3. How did Chris travel the 1,000 miles from Laird, Alaska, to Fairbanks?
(a) Jim Gallien gave him a lift.
(b) He walked most of the way.
(c) Hitchhiking, he got a series of rides.
(d) A truck driver named Gaylord Stuckey picked him up.
4. What connection did Jim Gallien make when he read the article about Chris's death?
(a) The rubber boots the news article mentioned were the ones he'd given Chris.
(b) The empty bag of rice the article said the police found in the bus reminded him of the hitchhiker he'd picked up.
(c) The .22-caliber rifle they found in the bus was the same as the hitchhiker's he'd given a ride to.
(d) Chris was the young hitchhiker he had given a ride to the Stampede Trail.
5. How far did Chris travel on the Stampede Trail before he located the abandoned bus?
(a) Ten miles.
(b) Twenty miles.
(c) A mile and a half.
(d) Forty miles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two requests did Stuckey make of Alex as they parted company?
2. Two decades later, what has Krakauer learned about his relationship with his father?
3. Why did the Candless family not follow the route Chris had taken to get to the bus as Billie wanted?
4. Chris's parents had moved, but his step brother was contacted. After he positively identified Chris, what did he do?
5. What is so poignant about the final photograph Chris took of himself holding his good-bye note?
Short Essay Questions
1. What discovery about himself did Krakauer make after conquering Devil's Thumb?
2. How does swainsonine become lethal in the body?
3. In Chris's journal, what did he think was happening to him?
4. Explain Jim Gillien's difficulty in contacting the Alaska police.
5. What was the irony Krakauer thought about as he kept attempting to climb Devil's Thumb?
6. What is so unusual about Chris's never seeing another human being while he was camped at the bus?
7. What was Chris's problem with his parents monetary success?
8. How was Krakauer's Alaska experience different from Chris's?
9. How did Chris manage the last leg of his trip into Fairbanks?
10. What defense does Krakauer make of Chris's ability to survive in the wild?
This section contains 1,143 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)