|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Krakauer do similar to what Chris did when he needed to go to the village of Petersberg?
(a) He abandoned his car.
(b) He sent postcards to friends.
(c) He burned his money.
(d) He bought a big bag of rice.
2. What is so poignant about the final photograph Chris took of himself holding his good-bye note?
(a) He doesn't realize that he is holding the note upside down.
(b) His emaciated frame contrasts with the smile on his face.
(c) The end of his good-bye note says he will see everyone in a month.
(d) It is blurry because he was too weak to hold the camera steady.
3. Who gave Krakauer dinner and a place to sleep in Petersberg?
(a) The captain of a tuna fishing boat.
(b) A drifter named Jan Buress.
(c) A policeman offered him a jail cell.
(d) A kind woman named Kai Sandburn.
4. What connection did Jim Gallien make when he read the article about Chris's death?
(a) The empty bag of rice the article said the police found in the bus reminded him of the hitchhiker he'd picked up.
(b) The rubber boots the news article mentioned were the ones he'd given Chris.
(c) The .22-caliber rifle they found in the bus was the same as the hitchhiker's he'd given a ride to.
(d) Chris was the young hitchhiker he had given a ride to the Stampede Trail.
5. What affected the eating habits of Chris's family?
(a) Thinking about how they found Chris's body.
(b) Thinking more about the homeless.
(c) Not being able to eat rice.
(d) Learning that he starved to death.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Billie find in the bus?
2. What did the bones outside the bus reveal?
3. What sad discovery does Krakauer make just a quarter mile down stream on the river?
4. What information does Gallien provide the police?
5. What happened 10 months after Chris's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe why the McCandlesses could not take the exact trek to the bus that Chris had taken.
2. Who was Sam McCandless, and why was he the one to notify Chris's parents?
3. What kind of work made Walt McCandless such a success?
4. What indicates to Krakauer that there was a very close relationship between Carine and Chris?
5. To show his kindred spirit with Chris, what does Krakauer write about in Chapter 14?
6. Explain Jim Gillien's difficulty in contacting the Alaska police.
7. What defense does Krakauer make of Chris's ability to survive in the wild?
8. How was Krakauer's Alaska experience different from Chris's?
9. How did Chris manage the last leg of his trip into Fairbanks?
10. What discovery did Chris make the summer after his freshman year in college that drove a deeper wedge between him and his father?
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)