|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How far did Chris travel on the Stampede Trail before he located the abandoned bus?
(a) Forty miles.
(b) A mile and a half.
(c) Ten miles.
(d) Twenty miles.
2. What similarity is there between Jon's relationship with his father and Chris's relationship with Walt?
(a) Both fathers turned out to be bigamists.
(b) Both fathers were weak willed and seldom gave their children advice.
(c) Both fathers were old and out of touch.
(d) Secrets were revealed and both young men resented the hypocracy.
3. What ambitions did Jon Krakauer's father have for all of his children?
(a) That they would leave home and be on their own after high school.
(b) That they would all enter the family business.
(c) That they would attend Ivy League schools.
(d) That they would excell in sports.
4. How is Carine different from Chris?
(a) She always returns home when she disappears.
(b) She is a good cook.
(c) She is interested in helping the homeless.
(d) She made peace with their parents.
5. When Krakauer reached an impassable place on the mountain, what did he do?
(a) He started traveling horizontally on the mountain.
(b) He sat down and cried.
(c) He radioed for help.
(d) There was nothing to do but descend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is significant about the cloth belt Krakauer founds in the bus?
2. What spurred Krakauer on after his failed attempt to climb Devil's Thumb?
3. What happened to Billie in July of 1992?
4. What did Billie realize as she get to the bus?
5. When Krakauer was at the mountain he came to climb, what enhanced his emotions?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Chris manage the last leg of his trip into Fairbanks?
2. How does swainsonine become lethal in the body?
3. Who was Sam McCandless, and why was he the one to notify Chris's parents?
4. In Chris's journal, what did he think was happening to him?
5. Explain Jim Gillien's difficulty in contacting the Alaska police.
6. What discovery about himself did Krakauer make after conquering Devil's Thumb?
7. What items did Billie and Walt McCandless leave behind in the bus?
8. How was Krakauer's Alaska experience different from Chris's?
9. What is so unusual about Chris's never seeing another human being while he was camped at the bus?
10. What discovery did Chris make the summer after his freshman year in college that drove a deeper wedge between him and his father?
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)