|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Chris confided to Gail Borah that he was close to one member of his family. Who is that?
(a) His cousin, Jason.
(b) His sister, Carine.
(c) His uncle, Milton.
(d) His gramdmother.
2. How does Krakauer classify Chris as opposed to the way most people saw him?
(a) As a classic example of a true Robinson Crusoe.
(b) As mentally unbalanced.
(c) As a true hero others should look up to.
(d) As not very different from many idealistic, if short-sighted, young people.
3. What alias did Ruess carve on the walls of the canyon?
(d) Yosemite Sam.
4. Why did Chris decide to go to San Diego?
(a) To get a suntan at the beach before heading North.
(b) To catch a train to Alaska.
(c) To catch a steamer going up the coast to Alaska.
(d) To find work for money for his Alaskan trip.
5. How did Chris introduce himself to Gallien?
(a) As Wayne Westerberg.
(b) As Bill Cody.
(c) As a botonist.
(d) As Alex, refusing to give a last name.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Chris write in his journal that hiking around Lake Meade was a mistake?
2. In Chris's relationships with people, what is the most striking contradiction?
3. Who had carved a passage from the creek up to the dry gulch?
4. What did Gallien notice about Chris's boots?
5. What does Krakauer think might have made the difference in Chris's survival?
Short Essay Questions
1. Jon Krakauer wrote an article about Chris McCandless for OUTSIDE magazine in January of 1993. Explain why Krakauer was then compelled to write the book, Into The Wild
2. Describe Jim Gallien's difficulty contacting the Alaska state troopers.
3. Talk about the indication that Chris was planning for the Alaska trip to be his last adventure.
4. What two things was Gallien able to provide the Alaska authorities?
5. What is a literary parallel between Chris and Ruess?
6. Explain the origins of the Stampede Trail.
7. What are some particulars about Alex (Chris) deciding to go to San Diego?
8. Explain why Gallien decided not to notify the authorities of Chris's plan.
9. How does Krakauer compare and contrast Chris and his father?
10. Tell something about Chris's connection to Jan Burres and her boyfriend Bob.
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)