|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What similar classic books are favorites of Ruess and Chris?
(a) Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea and Moby Dick.
(b) Call of the Wild and Around the World in Eighty Days.
(c) Great Expectations and Gone With the Wind.
(d) Look Homeward Angel and Lassie Come Home.
2. What type of people did Ruess like to spend time with?
(a) Photographers and painters.
(b) Vagabonds and drifters.
(c) Native Americans and Russians.
(d) Hikers and rafters.
3. What did Westerberg give Chris?
(a) A pair of rubber boots.
(b) A meal and a room for the night.
(c) A ride to Alaska.
(d) A job on his combine crew.
4. What Tolstoy book was found inside the bus?
(a) The Cherry Orchard.
(b) War and Peace.
(c) Family Happiness.
(d) The Gulag Archipeliago.
5. Why did Christ steal a bicycle in Northern California?
(a) The man he worked for refused to pay him.
(b) He was delirious at the time and did not know what he was doing.
(c) He had always wanted a bike like that.
(d) He intended to return and pay for it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Chris realize after he decided to abandon his once beloved Datsun?
2. What food was Chris extremely fond of?
3. Why did Chris write in his journal that hiking around Lake Meade was a mistake?
4. How does Krakauer answer Chris's critics?
5. What did Gallien notice about Chris's boots?
Short Essay Questions
1. Tell how Krakauer disliked the assertion from so many people that Chris had foolishly thrown away his life.
2. How does Krakauer compare and contrast Chris and his father?
3. What was the relationship Chris developed with the Westerberg family?
4. How did there happen to be an abandoned bus where Chris could find it?
5. What impression did Chris make on Ron Franz?
6. Describe Westerberg's comments to Krakauer two months after Chris died.
7. Explain the origins of the Stampede Trail.
8. Why does Krakauer mention the papar at the end of Chapter 9?
9. What is a literary parallel between Chris and Ruess?
10. Explain why Gallien decided not to notify the authorities of Chris's plan.
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)