|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chris's relationships with people, what is the most striking contradiction?
(a) His ambivalence to his family and his hatred of the people he met.
(b) His love for his family but his inability to show it.
(c) His coldness toward his parents and his warmth with people he met in his travels.
(d) His hurtfulness toward his family and his refusal to help anyone else.
2. What is Krakauer's thesis about Chris?
(a) That McCandless understood the risks he faced and came fully prepared to surmount them.
(b) That no one had fully informed Chris about all the dangers he faced.
(c) That Chris had been given misinformation that led to his doing the wrong things.
(d) That Chris was never in full command of his faculties.
3. Impressed with Chris's intelligence, what did Franz try to get him to do?
(a) Get an education.
(b) Write a book about his travels.
(c) Start teaching young people.
(d) Clean up and get a good job.
4. What indicates that Chris intended his Alaska trip to be his final great adventure?
(a) He had lost a great deal of weight and looked ill.
(b) He said he was sure this trip would tire him out completely.
(c) He talked about returning to take care of Ron Franz.
(d) Before leaving, Alex promised Westerberg he would return in time for the fall harvest.
5. What story does Krakauer tell that resembles Chris's in many ways?
(a) The loneliness of Henry David Thoreau.
(b) The adventures of Edmund Scott.
(c) The troubles of Carl Jennings.
(d) The life of John Mallon Waterman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened when the moose hunters got to the bus where they plan to camp out?
2. What had Chris's mother and father offered to do after he graduated from college?
3. What does Krakauer think might have made the difference in Chris's survival?
4. To whom did Chris send a postcard from Bullhead City?
5. Who had left Chris a $40,000 inheritance for his school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How abrupt was Chris's separation from his family?
2. Discuss Chris's abandonment of his beloved Datsun.
3. Why does Krakauer mention the papar at the end of Chapter 9?
4. How was Westerberg able to help the police with their further investigation?
5. Describe the first indication that Walt and Billie McCandless had of where Chris might be.
6. How does Krakauer compare and contrast Chris and his father?
7. Discuss the difference between Chris's treatment of his parents and the way he treated strangers.
8. Discuss the inconsistency of Chris and his ideas about money.
9. Describe Walt McCandless as a professional and a businessman.
10. Explain Chris's lack of readiness for his Alaskan adventure.
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)