Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the origin of the Stampede Trail?
(a) The trail that originally led to Pilgrim's mining claims along Stampede Creek.
(b) An old trail made by stampeding cattle.
(c) A trail originally laid out by Virgil Stampede in the 1800s.
(d) A trail left when Stampede Creek changed its course.
2. Near what famous landmark did Chris McCandless die?
(a) Old Faithful.
(b) Mt. Rushmore.
(c) Mt. St. Helens.
(d) Mt. McKinley.
3. What was located at Oh-My-God Hot Springs?
(a) A tourist inn and spa.
(b) A ranger station.
(c) A pool with a waterfall.
(d) A hippie commune of sorts, which had sprung up around some natural hot springs.
4. How does Chapter 1 begin?
(a) With a postcard written by McCandless, addressed to Wayne Westerberg in Carthage, South Dakota.
(b) With a conversation Chris has with an Inuit.
(c) With a description of the Alaskan wildeerness.
(d) With a letter Chris writes to his sister.
5. What strange actions did Chris take right after graduating college?
(a) He gave away his entire savings to charity, abandoned his possessions, and became a drifter and wilderness explorer.
(b) He shot his father and spent the next three years on the run from the police.
(c) He gave his car to his sister and took a bicycle to New York where he went to work on a merchant ship.
(d) He began a backpack trip that he hoped would eventually take him around the world.
Short Answer Questions
1. What appears to be Krakauer's main motive in writing Into The Wild?
2. Chris confided to Gail Borah that he was close to one member of his family. Who is that?
3. Why did Krakauer include so much about the McCandless family in Chapter 3?
4. Although Waterman became something of a local hero, what job did he have in Fairbanks?
5. What item of clothing did Chris seem to abhor?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chris's journal, what did he think was happening to him?
2. Discuss Chris's abandonment of his beloved Datsun.
3. Tell how Krakauer disliked the assertion from so many people that Chris had foolishly thrown away his life.
4. Discuss the difference between Chris's treatment of his parents and the way he treated strangers.
5. Explain Jim Gillien's difficulty in contacting the Alaska police.
6. What two things was Gallien able to provide the Alaska authorities?
7. What is so unusual about Chris's never seeing another human being while he was camped at the bus?
8. What kind of work made Walt McCandless such a success?
9. Explain the origins of the Stampede Trail.
10. What happened to Chris's plan to paddle a canoe from Arizona to the Gulf of California?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)