|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who had carved a passage from the creek up to the dry gulch?
(a) Railroad explorers.
(c) American Indians.
(d) Mormon cattlemen.
2. What did Chris tell Gallien his plans were?
(a) To walk into the wilderness near Denali National Park to live off the land for several months.
(b) To hike as far north as he could go.
(c) To hike from Mt. McKinley to the Gulf of Mexico.
(d) To write a book like Thoreau.
3. How do Waterman and Chris differ?
(a) Chris burned his money, but Waterman always had money with him.
(b) Chris was afraid of the water and Waterman feared heights.
(c) Chis was short and Waterman was very tall.
(d) Chris was able to make friends, Waterman was socially awkward.
4. What was the official verdict on the cause of death?
(a) Lead poisoning.
(c) Punctured lungs.
5. What human contact did Chris have as he hikeed West from Lake Mead?
(a) A troop of Boy Scouts.
(b) A few vagabonds and some law officers.
(c) People in a small village.
(d) Men working on an oil drilling rig.
Short Answer Questions
1. Still calling himself by another name, Chris met two drifters who befriend him. Who were they?
2. When Franz offered to give Chris a ride to his campsite, what is it he didn't know?
3. What did Gail believe about Chris's past life?
4. How did Chris get to San Francisco?
5. What is Krakauer's thesis about Chris?
Short Essay Questions
1. Tell something about Chris's connection to Jan Burres and her boyfriend Bob.
2. Explain the origins of the Stampede Trail.
3. What happened to Chris's plan to paddle a canoe from Arizona to the Gulf of California?
4. Describe Westerberg's comments to Krakauer two months after Chris died.
5. How are letters written by Ruess and Chris another point of similarity in their stories?
6. What is Krakauer's summary of Chris's actions during the time he was looking for work to save up for Alaska?
7. How does Krakauer rebut the idea that Chris was a reckless idiot, a wacko, a narcissist?
8. What kind of place was The Slabs?
9. Discuss the difference between Chris's treatment of his parents and the way he treated strangers.
10. What was the relationship Chris developed with the Westerberg family?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)