|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What food was Chris extremely fond of?
(c) Grilled cheese.
2. Where did Chris meet Wayne Westerberg?
(a) In Los Angeles.
(b) In Carthage, South Dakota.
(c) In Fairbanks, Alaska.
(d) On the Colorado River.
3. What did Chris make at Franz's house?
(a) A pair of moccasins.
(b) A wallet to give to Franz.
(c) A leather belt that depicted all his travels to date.
(d) A new leather backpack.
4. What is The Slabs?
(a) An abandoned military base where drifters come during the winter.
(b) A flat, rocky area in the Arizona desert.
(c) A settlement of people who erect their tents on concrete slabs.
(d) An old U. S. Calvary outpost.
5. In Chris's relationships with people, what is the most striking contradiction?
(a) His ambivalence to his family and his hatred of the people he met.
(b) His love for his family but his inability to show it.
(c) His hurtfulness toward his family and his refusal to help anyone else.
(d) His coldness toward his parents and his warmth with people he met in his travels.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Chris meet on a trip into Salton City to get some supplies?
2. At what point did Chris stop writing in his journal?
3. What group of Irish aesthetics does Krakauer include in Chapter 9?
4. What do some people think about Chris McCandless?
5. In what way did Chris exhibit a double standard about money?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the origins of the Stampede Trail.
2. How did Wayne Westerberg come to notify the police?
3. Explain why Krakauer traveled to Carthage, South Dakota.
4. Jon Krakauer wrote an article about Chris McCandless for OUTSIDE magazine in January of 1993. Explain why Krakauer was then compelled to write the book, Into The Wild
5. Describe the first indication that Walt and Billie McCandless had of where Chris might be.
6. Why does Krakauer mention the papar at the end of Chapter 9?
7. Discuss the difference between Chris's treatment of his parents and the way he treated strangers.
8. Discuss the inconsistency of Chris and his ideas about money.
9. The man Chris describes as a lunatic, Charlie, holds what kind of opinion about Chris?
10. Why was there a break in Chris's journal entries after he left Las Vegas in 1991?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)