|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What appears to be Krakauer's main motive in writing Into The Wild?
(a) To win a Pulitzer Prize.
(b) To sell it to the movies.
(c) To defend Chris McCandless from his critics.
(d) To justify his own youth.
2. Where did Alex stay outside of Salton City?
(a) Joshua Tree National Park.
(b) Palm Springs.
(c) Anza-Borrego Desert State Park.
(d) Right at Oh-My-God Hot Springs.
3. What does Ruess's biographer, Ken Sleight, believe happened to Ruess?
(a) A robbery and murder.
(b) Accidental drowning.
(c) Ruess changed his name and disappeared.
(d) Falling from a cliff.
4. At which stop did Chris remain for the longest time?
(a) In Bullhead City, Arizona.
(b) In Fairbanks, Alaska.
(c) Back at the Westenberg's house.
(d) On the coast in Oregon.
5. What did Chris tell Gallien his plans were?
(a) To walk into the wilderness near Denali National Park to live off the land for several months.
(b) To hike from Mt. McKinley to the Gulf of Mexico.
(c) To write a book like Thoreau.
(d) To hike as far north as he could go.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Krakauer classify Chris as opposed to the way most people saw him?
2. What does Krakauer think might have made the difference in Chris's survival?
3. What symbol is ironic on the leather belt?
4. At what point did Chris stop writing in his journal?
5. What is Krakauer's obvious purpose of including the information in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. Talk about the indication that Chris was planning for the Alaska trip to be his last adventure.
2. Jon Krakauer wrote an article about Chris McCandless for OUTSIDE magazine in January of 1993. Explain why Krakauer was then compelled to write the book, Into The Wild
3. What was the relationship Chris developed with the Westerberg family?
4. What kind of place was The Slabs?
5. Describe Walt McCandless as a professional and a businessman.
6. Discuss the inconsistency of Chris and his ideas about money.
7. How does Krakauer rebut the idea that Chris was a reckless idiot, a wacko, a narcissist?
8. What impression did Chris make on Ron Franz?
9. How did there happen to be an abandoned bus where Chris could find it?
10. How are letters written by Ruess and Chris another point of similarity in their stories?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)