|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Waterman and Chris differ?
(a) Chris was afraid of the water and Waterman feared heights.
(b) Chris was able to make friends, Waterman was socially awkward.
(c) Chis was short and Waterman was very tall.
(d) Chris burned his money, but Waterman always had money with him.
2. What type of people did Ruess like to spend time with?
(a) Native Americans and Russians.
(b) Vagabonds and drifters.
(c) Photographers and painters.
(d) Hikers and rafters.
3. Why did Chris write in his journal that hiking around Lake Meade was a mistake?
(a) He had not been in a town where he could buy new boots.
(b) It was much larger than he anticipated.
(c) There were no people anywhere around the lake.
(d) The heat was so intense that he became delirious.
4. What did Gallien know about city people who came to do what Chris had in mind?
(a) They never got around to writing about their adventure.
(b) Such greenhorns usually underestimated the wilderness to their own peril.
(c) They quickly walked back to Fairbanks.
(d) They usually gave up after three days.
5. What is the tone of Krakauer's book?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Jim Gallien first encounter Chris?
2. Where did Chris's canoe trip eventually take him after going as far as he could down the Colorado River?
3. What did Westerberg give Chris?
4. What did Chris do with the $24,000 he had left over from his inheritance?
5. What did Chris do after Westerberg was jailed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a literary parallel between Chris and Ruess?
2. Why does Krakauer include the story of Everett Ruess in Chapter 9?
3. How does Krakauer rebut the idea that Chris was a reckless idiot, a wacko, a narcissist?
4. What is Krakauer's summary of Chris's actions during the time he was looking for work to save up for Alaska?
5. What two things was Gallien able to provide the Alaska authorities?
6. Explain why Krakauer traveled to Carthage, South Dakota.
7. The man Chris describes as a lunatic, Charlie, holds what kind of opinion about Chris?
8. How does Krakauer compare and contrast Chris and his father?
9. Describe the evidence at the opening of Chapter 1 that indicates Chris might have had a premonition about his death.
10. Why does Krakauer mention the papar at the end of Chapter 9?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)