|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was located at Oh-My-God Hot Springs?
(a) A ranger station.
(b) A pool with a waterfall.
(c) A hippie commune of sorts, which had sprung up around some natural hot springs.
(d) A tourist inn and spa.
2. Why did the employees at McDonald's object to Chris?
(a) His poor hygiene.
(b) His long hair.
(c) His bad attitude.
(d) His being a loner.
3. What did Chris do after Westerberg was jailed?
(a) He kept himself hidden because the police might have been looking for him.
(b) He headed north to Alaska.
(c) He stayed with Westerberg's family until he got out.
(d) He hitchhiked to Needles, California, then walked through the desert to Topock, Arizona.
4. Why did Krakauer include so much about the McCandless family in Chapter 3?
(a) To make Chris seem thoughtless and cold.
(b) Just for conversation with Wayne Westerberg.
(c) To contrast them with the adoptive Westerberg family.
(d) To give the reader an idea that Chris might change his mind.
5. Why did Christ steal a bicycle in Northern California?
(a) He was delirious at the time and did not know what he was doing.
(b) The man he worked for refused to pay him.
(c) He intended to return and pay for it.
(d) He had always wanted a bike like that.
Short Answer Questions
1. What strange actions did Chris take right after graduating college?
2. What comment does Krakauer make about Chris's fondness for Jack London?
3. What item of clothing did Chris seem to abhor?
4. What event happened in April 1992 that prompted the writing of Into The Wild?
5. Chris confided to Gail Borah that he was close to one member of his family. Who is that?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Chris's lack of readiness for his Alaskan adventure.
2. Explain the origins of the Stampede Trail.
3. How abrupt was Chris's separation from his family?
4. How did there happen to be an abandoned bus where Chris could find it?
5. When Jim Gallien picked Chris up, what went through the back of his mind?
6. What are some particulars about Alex (Chris) deciding to go to San Diego?
7. How does Krakauer compare and contrast Chris and his father?
8. How was Westerberg able to help the police with their further investigation?
9. What is clear about the author's intentions in writing this book?
10. What happened to Chris's plan to paddle a canoe from Arizona to the Gulf of California?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)