|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What food was Chris extremely fond of?
(d) Grilled cheese.
2. In regards to family, how do Ruess and Chris compare?
(a) Ruess seemed to be on good relations with his family unlike Chris.
(b) They both were alienated from their families.
(c) Like Chris, Ruess felt his family supported his travels.
(d) Ruess and Chris both missed their families as they traveled.
3. Near what famous landmark did Chris McCandless die?
(a) Mt. Rushmore.
(b) Mt. St. Helens.
(c) Mt. McKinley.
(d) Old Faithful.
4. After a semester at UCLA and a winter in San Francisco, what did Ruess do?
(a) Studying photography.
(b) Spent the rest of his days backpacking and sleeping on the ground.
(c) Looking for someone to join his nature walks.
(d) Keeping a journal that was published after his death.
5. Why did Chris decide to go to San Diego?
(a) To find work for money for his Alaskan trip.
(b) To get a suntan at the beach before heading North.
(c) To catch a train to Alaska.
(d) To catch a steamer going up the coast to Alaska.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Chris and Ruess each do shortly before their deaths?
2. What was the official verdict on the cause of death?
3. Why is the Stampede Trail still in use?
4. What did Walt and Billie McCandless discover when they drive to Chris's apartment in Atlanta?
5. What did Butch Killian want to do when he arrived on the bus scene where Chris had died?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did there happen to be an abandoned bus where Chris could find it?
2. Why does Krakauer include the story of Everett Ruess in Chapter 9?
3. Describe the first indication that Walt and Billie McCandless had of where Chris might be.
4. What was the relationship Chris developed with the Westerberg family?
5. Explain Chris's lack of readiness for his Alaskan adventure.
6. How did Wayne Westerberg come to notify the police?
7. What is clear about the author's intentions in writing this book?
8. How abrupt was Chris's separation from his family?
9. Explain why Gallien decided not to notify the authorities of Chris's plan.
10. How was Westerberg able to help the police with their further investigation?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)