|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What group of Irish aesthetics does Krakauer include in Chapter 9?
(a) The papar.
(b) The Celtic travelers.
(c) St Patrick monks.
(d) The highlanders.
2. What is The Slabs?
(a) A flat, rocky area in the Arizona desert.
(b) An old U. S. Calvary outpost.
(c) A settlement of people who erect their tents on concrete slabs.
(d) An abandoned military base where drifters come during the winter.
3. What symbol is ironic on the leather belt?
(a) A raised fist.
(b) Chris's initials surrounded by a scull and crossbones.
(c) A serpent head baring its fangs.
(d) A tombstone marked R.I.P.
4. In regards to family, how do Ruess and Chris compare?
(a) Ruess and Chris both missed their families as they traveled.
(b) Like Chris, Ruess felt his family supported his travels.
(c) They both were alienated from their families.
(d) Ruess seemed to be on good relations with his family unlike Chris.
5. How did Chris get to San Francisco?
(a) He hitchhiked.
(b) Franz drove him there.
(c) He had enough money for a bus ticket.
(d) He rode on a vegetable truck he helped load up.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Krakauer suggest shows that Chris was not mentally ill?
2. To whom did Chris send a postcard from Bullhead City?
3. Where had Chris McCandless attended school and graduated with honors?
4. At which stop did Chris remain for the longest time?
5. What did Krakauer include in the book besides events he uncovered from the life of Chris McCandless?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Carine and her parents regret after the fact of Chris's death?
2. What happened to Chris's plan to paddle a canoe from Arizona to the Gulf of California?
3. Carine knew that Chris was leaving but she didn't know where he was going. Why?
4. Explain the origins of the Stampede Trail.
5. How abrupt was Chris's separation from his family?
6. What indicates to Krakauer that there was a very close relationship between Carine and Chris?
7. Describe Westerberg's comments to Krakauer two months after Chris died.
8. What discovery about himself did Krakauer make after conquering Devil's Thumb?
9. What is Krakauer's summary of Chris's actions during the time he was looking for work to save up for Alaska?
10. As Krakauer, visiting the site, stood on the banks of the raging Teklanika River, what advantage did he have that Chris did not have?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)