|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Chris live while he was in Carthage?
(a) At the YMCA.
(b) In a cheap boarding house.
(c) In the Westerberg home.
(d) In a tack room.
2. How does Krakauer classify Chris as opposed to the way most people saw him?
(a) As a classic example of a true Robinson Crusoe.
(b) As mentally unbalanced.
(c) As a true hero others should look up to.
(d) As not very different from many idealistic, if short-sighted, young people.
3. In Chris's relationships with people, what is the most striking contradiction?
(a) His ambivalence to his family and his hatred of the people he met.
(b) His hurtfulness toward his family and his refusal to help anyone else.
(c) His coldness toward his parents and his warmth with people he met in his travels.
(d) His love for his family but his inability to show it.
4. What did Chris make at Franz's house?
(a) A new leather backpack.
(b) A pair of moccasins.
(c) A wallet to give to Franz.
(d) A leather belt that depicted all his travels to date.
5. Why did Chris adopt the name Alex Burres?
(a) He became a surrogate for Jan Burres's estranged son.
(b) He realized he needed a second name.
(c) He took it when people thought he was Jan's son.
(d) He liked the initials AB.
Short Answer Questions
1. Still calling himself by another name, Chris met two drifters who befriend him. Who were they?
2. What complication did Chris face while living in The Slabs?
3. What is the origin of the Stampede Trail?
4. What is Davis Gulch?
5. How does Krakauer answer Chris's critics?
Short Essay Questions
1. When hunters discovered Chris's body in September of 1992, what did they decide to do?
2. Tell something about Chris's connection to Jan Burres and her boyfriend Bob.
3. What two things was Gallien able to provide the Alaska authorities?
4. Why was there a break in Chris's journal entries after he left Las Vegas in 1991?
5. How did Wayne Westerberg come to notify the police?
6. Why do people still come to the site where the bus stands?
7. How does Krakauer rebut the idea that Chris was a reckless idiot, a wacko, a narcissist?
8. Describe the first indication that Walt and Billie McCandless had of where Chris might be.
9. How abrupt was Chris's separation from his family?
10. Why does Krakauer include the story of Everett Ruess in Chapter 9?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)