|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did Chris survive in that hostile environment?
(a) Almost a year.
(b) Six months.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Sixteen weeks.
2. What news seriously alarmed Jan Burres?
(a) That Alex might be a serial killer.
(b) That Alex was wanted by the Nevada police.
(c) That Alex never intended to see any of his family again.
(d) That Alex had burned the last of his money when he abandoned his car.
3. When Chris corresponded with his sister, what did he confide to her?
(a) That he would see her by Christmas time.
(b) That he was tired of being on the run all the time.
(c) That he would surprise them all and come home.
(d) That he planned to lull his parents into a false sense of security then cut them out of his life abruptly and decisively.
4. Where did Jim Gallien first encounter Chris?
(a) In the library at Fairbanks, Alaska.
(b) In a hardware store in Fairbanks, Alaska.
(c) Hitchhiking about four miles outside of Fairbanks, Alaska.
(d) In a cheap cafe on the outskirts of Fairbanks.
5. Where did Chris's canoe trip eventually take him after going as far as he could down the Colorado River?
(a) He headed South and ended up in Acapulco.
(b) Some duck hunters agreed to drive him to the Gulf of California.
(c) He retraced his way back upstream.
(d) He ended up staying with a Mexican family for six weeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. How were Chris's ideals defined in his own mind?
2. How did Walt and Billie McCandless learn in Chapter 4 where their son might be?
3. On his last trip to Carthage, who is the woman Chris became close with?
4. What was Chris's plan for after college that he did not tell his family?
5. What symbol is ironic on the leather belt?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Wayne Westerberg come to notify the police?
2. How did there happen to be an abandoned bus where Chris could find it?
3. Why does Krakauer mention the papar at the end of Chapter 9?
4. Explain Chris's lack of readiness for his Alaskan adventure.
5. What is a literary parallel between Chris and Ruess?
6. What discovery did Chris make the summer after his freshman year in college that drove a deeper wedge between him and his father?
7. What happened to Chris's plan to paddle a canoe from Arizona to the Gulf of California?
8. Discuss Chris's abandonment of his beloved Datsun.
9. How was Krakauer's Alaska experience different from Chris's?
10. To show his kindred spirit with Chris, what does Krakauer write about in Chapter 14?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)