|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What indicates that Chris intended his Alaska trip to be his final great adventure?
(a) He said he was sure this trip would tire him out completely.
(b) He had lost a great deal of weight and looked ill.
(c) He talked about returning to take care of Ron Franz.
(d) Before leaving, Alex promised Westerberg he would return in time for the fall harvest.
2. Where had Chris McCandless attended school and graduated with honors?
(a) Emory University.
(b) Yale University.
(c) Harvard University.
(d) The University of Virginia.
3. Why did Krakauer include so much about the McCandless family in Chapter 3?
(a) To give the reader an idea that Chris might change his mind.
(b) Just for conversation with Wayne Westerberg.
(c) To contrast them with the adoptive Westerberg family.
(d) To make Chris seem thoughtless and cold.
4. What did Chris and Ruess each do shortly before their deaths?
(a) Write out a will.
(b) Burn their money.
(c) Post several letters.
(d) Dig their graves.
5. How had Chris already been separating himself from his family?
(a) By not speaking to them for months at a time.
(b) By living off campus in a room that had no phone.
(c) By only meeting them occasionally at a restaurant.
(d) By going out of town for holidays and weekends.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Gail believe about Chris's past life?
2. What Tolstoy book was found inside the bus?
3. Why is the Stampede Trail still in use?
4. What does Ruess's biographer, Ken Sleight, believe happened to Ruess?
5. What happened when the moose hunters got to the bus where they plan to camp out?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is clear about the author's intentions in writing this book?
2. Describe Walt McCandless as a professional and a businessman.
3. What is Krakauer's summary of Chris's actions during the time he was looking for work to save up for Alaska?
4. How abrupt was Chris's separation from his family?
5. When Jim Gallien picked Chris up, what went through the back of his mind?
6. Tell something about Chris's connection to Jan Burres and her boyfriend Bob.
7. How does Krakauer rebut the idea that Chris was a reckless idiot, a wacko, a narcissist?
8. What two things was Gallien able to provide the Alaska authorities?
9. What did Chris do in the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park?
10. How did there happen to be an abandoned bus where Chris could find it?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)