|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What food was Chris extremely fond of?
(a) Grilled cheese.
2. What problem did Killian have in contacting the authorities?
(a) His vehicle broke down and it took hours to fix.
(b) The other people did not want him to contact the troopers because they did not want to get involved.
(c) It was difficult to find a place where radio signals could get through.
(d) The ice broke on the river and left it more than a hundred yards wide.
3. What appears to be Krakauer's main motive in writing Into The Wild?
(a) To defend Chris McCandless from his critics.
(b) To justify his own youth.
(c) To win a Pulitzer Prize.
(d) To sell it to the movies.
4. Where did Alex stay outside of Salton City?
(a) Anza-Borrego Desert State Park.
(b) Palm Springs.
(c) Right at Oh-My-God Hot Springs.
(d) Joshua Tree National Park.
5. Who does Krakauer mention who had done something similar to what Chris did and survived?
(a) Gene Rosellini, the Mayor of Hippie Cove.
(b) Albert Swartz, a modern day Thoreau.
(c) Thor Heidahl who sailed the Pacific in a canoe.
(d) The first man to climb Mt. McKinley.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Chris do after Westerberg was jailed?
2. What did Krakauer include in the book besides events he uncovered from the life of Chris McCandless?
3. Who did Chris meet on a trip into Salton City to get some supplies?
4. What group of Irish aesthetics does Krakauer include in Chapter 9?
5. How does Krakauer answer Chris's critics?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Walt McCandless as a professional and a businessman.
2. Talk about the indication that Chris was planning for the Alaska trip to be his last adventure.
3. How are letters written by Ruess and Chris another point of similarity in their stories?
4. What kind of place was The Slabs?
5. What two things was Gallien able to provide the Alaska authorities?
6. Tell something about Chris's connection to Jan Burres and her boyfriend Bob.
7. Explain why Gallien decided not to notify the authorities of Chris's plan.
8. Explain why Krakauer traveled to Carthage, South Dakota.
9. How was Westerberg able to help the police with their further investigation?
10. What is clear about the author's intentions in writing this book?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)