|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was located at Oh-My-God Hot Springs?
(a) A pool with a waterfall.
(b) A hippie commune of sorts, which had sprung up around some natural hot springs.
(c) A ranger station.
(d) A tourist inn and spa.
2. Where did Chris live while he was in Carthage?
(a) In a tack room.
(b) At the YMCA.
(c) In a cheap boarding house.
(d) In the Westerberg home.
3. What type of people did Ruess like to spend time with?
(a) Native Americans and Russians.
(b) Vagabonds and drifters.
(c) Hikers and rafters.
(d) Photographers and painters.
4. Why did the employees at McDonald's object to Chris?
(a) His long hair.
(b) His being a loner.
(c) His bad attitude.
(d) His poor hygiene.
5. What human contact did Chris have as he hikeed West from Lake Mead?
(a) A few vagabonds and some law officers.
(b) A troop of Boy Scouts.
(c) Men working on an oil drilling rig.
(d) People in a small village.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Chris's canoe trip eventually take him after going as far as he could down the Colorado River?
2. What was the similar experience that led to both of these stories of drop out and adventure?
3. What Tolstoy book was found inside the bus?
4. What was the official verdict on the cause of death?
5. Why did Christ steal a bicycle in Northern California?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is clear about the author's intentions in writing this book?
2. How abrupt was Chris's separation from his family?
3. How was Westerberg able to help the police with their further investigation?
4. Explain the origins of the Stampede Trail.
5. Why does Krakauer include the story of Everett Ruess in Chapter 9?
6. Discuss the inconsistency of Chris and his ideas about money.
7. What was the relationship Chris developed with the Westerberg family?
8. Describe Westerberg's comments to Krakauer two months after Chris died.
9. Tell how Krakauer disliked the assertion from so many people that Chris had foolishly thrown away his life.
10. Explain why Gallien decided not to notify the authorities of Chris's plan.
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)