|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what point did Chris stop writing in his journal?
(a) When it had no more blank pages.
(b) When he decided that no one would ever read it.
(c) When it accidentally fell into his campfire one night.
(d) When his camera was ruined and he buried it outside of Vegas.
2. How do Waterman and Chris differ?
(a) Chris was able to make friends, Waterman was socially awkward.
(b) Chis was short and Waterman was very tall.
(c) Chris burned his money, but Waterman always had money with him.
(d) Chris was afraid of the water and Waterman feared heights.
3. What had Chris's mother and father offered to do after he graduated from college?
(a) Help him get a job with their Congressman.
(b) Give him a trip to Europe.
(c) Buy him a new car and pay for his graduate school.
(d) Bring him into the family business.
4. What similar classic books are favorites of Ruess and Chris?
(a) Call of the Wild and Around the World in Eighty Days.
(b) Look Homeward Angel and Lassie Come Home.
(c) Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea and Moby Dick.
(d) Great Expectations and Gone With the Wind.
5. After surviving 10 years living off the land, what became of Rosellini?
(a) He traveled around the world backpacking.
(b) He settled down in a small town and raised a family.
(c) He went on the lecture tour.
(d) He commited suicide and left no note.
Short Answer Questions
1. At which stop did Chris remain for the longest time?
2. In regards to family, how do Ruess and Chris compare?
3. During an interview with Krakauer, what does Westerberg say about Chris?
4. What was the similar experience that led to both of these stories of drop out and adventure?
5. Where did Chris intend to hike?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did there happen to be an abandoned bus where Chris could find it?
2. Why does Krakauer mention the papar at the end of Chapter 9?
3. Describe Westerberg's comments to Krakauer two months after Chris died.
4. How does Krakauer rebut the idea that Chris was a reckless idiot, a wacko, a narcissist?
5. Tell how Krakauer disliked the assertion from so many people that Chris had foolishly thrown away his life.
6. How abrupt was Chris's separation from his family?
7. Why was there a break in Chris's journal entries after he left Las Vegas in 1991?
8. What is Krakauer's summary of Chris's actions during the time he was looking for work to save up for Alaska?
9. Describe Jim Gallien's difficulty contacting the Alaska state troopers.
10. Explain why Krakauer traveled to Carthage, South Dakota.
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)