|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of people did Ruess like to spend time with?
(a) Vagabonds and drifters.
(b) Hikers and rafters.
(c) Native Americans and Russians.
(d) Photographers and painters.
2. After a series of misadventures on his way to San Diego, why did Chris call Franz?
(a) To tell Franz that he was in the hospital.
(b) To see if he had gotten any mail.
(c) To ask him to send money.
(d) To come pick him up.
3. What did Gallien know about city people who came to do what Chris had in mind?
(a) Such greenhorns usually underestimated the wilderness to their own peril.
(b) They never got around to writing about their adventure.
(c) They quickly walked back to Fairbanks.
(d) They usually gave up after three days.
4. Why did Chris write in his journal that hiking around Lake Meade was a mistake?
(a) He had not been in a town where he could buy new boots.
(b) It was much larger than he anticipated.
(c) There were no people anywhere around the lake.
(d) The heat was so intense that he became delirious.
5. What did Gail believe about Chris's past life?
(a) That his real problem was something that happened between him and his father.
(b) That he was terribly deprived and abused.
(c) That he was extremely immature and was only being rebellious.
(d) That he had imagined all his problems with his family.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Krakauer's message by using the details of the moose hunter's trip to the bus?
2. What human contact did Chris have as he hikeed West from Lake Mead?
3. At what point did Chris stop writing in his journal?
4. What complication did Chris face while living in The Slabs?
5. After a semester at UCLA and a winter in San Francisco, what did Ruess do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Gallien decided not to notify the authorities of Chris's plan.
2. What is clear about the author's intentions in writing this book?
3. Describe Westerberg's comments to Krakauer two months after Chris died.
4. How abrupt was Chris's separation from his family?
5. What is a literary parallel between Chris and Ruess?
6. Explain why Krakauer traveled to Carthage, South Dakota.
7. Describe the first indication that Walt and Billie McCandless had of where Chris might be.
8. Why was there a break in Chris's journal entries after he left Las Vegas in 1991?
9. Explain the origins of the Stampede Trail.
10. How are letters written by Ruess and Chris another point of similarity in their stories?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)