|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After a series of misadventures on his way to San Diego, why did Chris call Franz?
(a) To come pick him up.
(b) To see if he had gotten any mail.
(c) To ask him to send money.
(d) To tell Franz that he was in the hospital.
2. What does Krakauer think might have made the difference in Chris's survival?
(a) If he had found a warmer shelter in Alaska.
(b) If he had brought along some brandy.
(c) If he had taken someone with him.
(d) If he had not made one or two critical mistakes.
3. After surviving 10 years living off the land, what became of Rosellini?
(a) He commited suicide and left no note.
(b) He went on the lecture tour.
(c) He settled down in a small town and raised a family.
(d) He traveled around the world backpacking.
4. Why is the Stampede Trail still in use?
(a) In the early 1960s, the trail was upgraded by Yutan Construction to an actual roadway.
(b) Campers and hunters keep using it instead of making a new one.
(c) People use it to hike to Mt. McKinley.
(d) It runs along side of the Alaska Pipeline.
5. How did Chris introduce himself to Gallien?
(a) As Wayne Westerberg.
(b) As Alex, refusing to give a last name.
(c) As a botonist.
(d) As Bill Cody.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Krakauer suggest shows that Chris was not mentally ill?
2. What was Chris carrying when he met Jim Gallien?
3. What complication did Chris face while living in The Slabs?
4. What type of people did Ruess like to spend time with?
5. What story does Krakauer tell that resembles Chris's in many ways?
Short Essay Questions
1. Tell how Krakauer disliked the assertion from so many people that Chris had foolishly thrown away his life.
2. Why does Krakauer mention the papar at the end of Chapter 9?
3. Explain why Gallien decided not to notify the authorities of Chris's plan.
4. Describe Walt McCandless as a professional and a businessman.
5. Describe the first indication that Walt and Billie McCandless had of where Chris might be.
6. Describe the evidence at the opening of Chapter 1 that indicates Chris might have had a premonition about his death.
7. How does Krakauer rebut the idea that Chris was a reckless idiot, a wacko, a narcissist?
8. When hunters discovered Chris's body in September of 1992, what did they decide to do?
9. Discuss the difference between Chris's treatment of his parents and the way he treated strangers.
10. What was the relationship Chris developed with the Westerberg family?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)