|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Jim Gallien first encounter Chris?
(a) In a hardware store in Fairbanks, Alaska.
(b) In a cheap cafe on the outskirts of Fairbanks.
(c) Hitchhiking about four miles outside of Fairbanks, Alaska.
(d) In the library at Fairbanks, Alaska.
2. Why was author Jon Krakauer interested in writing Chris's story?
(a) Krakauer wanted to pass judgement on Chris in the hopes of preventing another young man from doing the same.
(b) Krakauer recognized that Chris's story would be a sure-fire best seller and be made into a movie.
(c) Krakauer had nothing better to do at the time and thought he would enjoy visiting all the places Chris had gone.
(d) Krakauer identifies with McCandless's attraction to nature and to high-risk activities, and also understands the young man's troubled relationship with his father.
3. How does Krakauer classify Chris as opposed to the way most people saw him?
(a) As a classic example of a true Robinson Crusoe.
(b) As not very different from many idealistic, if short-sighted, young people.
(c) As mentally unbalanced.
(d) As a true hero others should look up to.
4. What type of people did Ruess like to spend time with?
(a) Hikers and rafters.
(b) Vagabonds and drifters.
(c) Native Americans and Russians.
(d) Photographers and painters.
5. How were Chris's ideals defined in his own mind?
(a) They were defined by the works of Phillip Roth and F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(b) He valued chastity and moral purity as defined by Tolstoy and Thoreau.
(c) His ideals were defined by his own sense of injustice in the world.
(d) They were defined by the poetry of E.E. cummings.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Krakauer suggest shows that Chris was not mentally ill?
2. What was the similar experience that led to both of these stories of drop out and adventure?
3. What did Walt and Billie McCandless discover when they drive to Chris's apartment in Atlanta?
4. What did Chris realize after he decided to abandon his once beloved Datsun?
5. After surviving 10 years living off the land, what became of Rosellini?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Chris's lack of readiness for his Alaskan adventure.
2. Describe Walt McCandless as a professional and a businessman.
3. What impression did Chris make on Ron Franz?
4. Tell something about Chris's connection to Jan Burres and her boyfriend Bob.
5. Why do people still come to the site where the bus stands?
6. Jon Krakauer wrote an article about Chris McCandless for OUTSIDE magazine in January of 1993. Explain why Krakauer was then compelled to write the book, Into The Wild
7. Why does Krakauer include the story of Everett Ruess in Chapter 9?
8. Describe the first indication that Walt and Billie McCandless had of where Chris might be.
9. What are some particulars about Alex (Chris) deciding to go to San Diego?
10. Discuss Chris's abandonment of his beloved Datsun.
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)