|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Jim Gallien first encounter Chris?
(a) In a hardware store in Fairbanks, Alaska.
(b) In the library at Fairbanks, Alaska.
(c) In a cheap cafe on the outskirts of Fairbanks.
(d) Hitchhiking about four miles outside of Fairbanks, Alaska.
2. What does Krakauer think might have made the difference in Chris's survival?
(a) If he had brought along some brandy.
(b) If he had taken someone with him.
(c) If he had not made one or two critical mistakes.
(d) If he had found a warmer shelter in Alaska.
3. Why is the Stampede Trail still in use?
(a) People use it to hike to Mt. McKinley.
(b) It runs along side of the Alaska Pipeline.
(c) In the early 1960s, the trail was upgraded by Yutan Construction to an actual roadway.
(d) Campers and hunters keep using it instead of making a new one.
4. What complication did Chris face while living in The Slabs?
(a) The other drifters believed he was an undercover cop.
(b) He got into an argument with Jan Burres.
(c) Tracy, a 17-year-old girl developed a huge crush on him.
(d) He could produce no identification when the border patrol came to the camp.
5. How did Walt and Billie McCandless learn in Chapter 4 where their son might be?
(a) Jan Burres called them.
(b) They received a ticket issued to their son for hitchhiking near Eureka, California.
(c) They saw him on a newscast on TV.
(d) One of Chris's high school friends got a call from Chris.
Short Answer Questions
1. What story does Krakauer tell that resembles Chris's in many ways?
2. Near what famous landmark did Chris McCandless die?
3. What did Gallien think about Chris's weapon?
4. Chris confided to Gail Borah that he was close to one member of his family. Who is that?
5. Where did Krakaeur meet Westerberg?
Short Essay Questions
1. How abrupt was Chris's separation from his family?
2. Jon Krakauer wrote an article about Chris McCandless for OUTSIDE magazine in January of 1993. Explain why Krakauer was then compelled to write the book, Into The Wild
3. Discuss the difference between Chris's treatment of his parents and the way he treated strangers.
4. Talk about the indication that Chris was planning for the Alaska trip to be his last adventure.
5. What happened to Chris's plan to paddle a canoe from Arizona to the Gulf of California?
6. Tell how Krakauer disliked the assertion from so many people that Chris had foolishly thrown away his life.
7. Describe Westerberg's comments to Krakauer two months after Chris died.
8. Why does Krakauer mention the papar at the end of Chapter 9?
9. Tell something about Chris's connection to Jan Burres and her boyfriend Bob.
10. What impression did Chris make on Ron Franz?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)