|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What strange actions did Chris take right after graduating college?
(a) He gave his car to his sister and took a bicycle to New York where he went to work on a merchant ship.
(b) He shot his father and spent the next three years on the run from the police.
(c) He gave away his entire savings to charity, abandoned his possessions, and became a drifter and wilderness explorer.
(d) He began a backpack trip that he hoped would eventually take him around the world.
2. What work did Chris (Alex) do while he stayed with Jan and Bob at The Slabs?
(a) Making hamburgers that he learned how to do at McDonald's.
(b) Acting as a security gurad.
(c) Digging ditches.
(d) Selling in their fleamarket books stall.
3. How did Chris get to San Francisco?
(a) Franz drove him there.
(b) He hitchhiked.
(c) He rode on a vegetable truck he helped load up.
(d) He had enough money for a bus ticket.
4. After a semester at UCLA and a winter in San Francisco, what did Ruess do?
(a) Keeping a journal that was published after his death.
(b) Spent the rest of his days backpacking and sleeping on the ground.
(c) Looking for someone to join his nature walks.
(d) Studying photography.
5. How did Walt and Billie McCandless learn in Chapter 4 where their son might be?
(a) One of Chris's high school friends got a call from Chris.
(b) They saw him on a newscast on TV.
(c) They received a ticket issued to their son for hitchhiking near Eureka, California.
(d) Jan Burres called them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What alias did Ruess carve on the walls of the canyon?
2. What questions did Chris ask Gallien that impressed the older man?
3. Where did Chris intend to hike?
4. What happened when the moose hunters got to the bus where they plan to camp out?
5. Where did Chris McCandless come from?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Krakauer rebut the idea that Chris was a reckless idiot, a wacko, a narcissist?
2. How are letters written by Ruess and Chris another point of similarity in their stories?
3. What was the relationship Chris developed with the Westerberg family?
4. Talk about the indication that Chris was planning for the Alaska trip to be his last adventure.
5. What impression did Chris make on Ron Franz?
6. What is clear about the author's intentions in writing this book?
7. Discuss the difference between Chris's treatment of his parents and the way he treated strangers.
8. What two things was Gallien able to provide the Alaska authorities?
9. When hunters discovered Chris's body in September of 1992, what did they decide to do?
10. How abrupt was Chris's separation from his family?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)