|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Gallien notice about Chris's boots?
(a) They were lightweight and not waterproof.
(b) They were old and ripped out at the seams.
(c) They were too large for his feet.
(d) They were designed for mountain climbing.
2. Why did Krakauer include so much about the McCandless family in Chapter 3?
(a) Just for conversation with Wayne Westerberg.
(b) To contrast them with the adoptive Westerberg family.
(c) To make Chris seem thoughtless and cold.
(d) To give the reader an idea that Chris might change his mind.
3. Why does Krakauer include a narrative about moose hunters driving off-road trucks to get to the site Chris eventually found?
(a) To put a note of optimism into the story which sustains the suspense.
(b) To explain the existence of the bus where Chris stayed.
(c) To provide a bit of humor against the tension of the story.
(d) To show the difficulties even well-equipped people have in this wilderness.
4. Where did Chris meet Wayne Westerberg?
(a) On the Colorado River.
(b) In Los Angeles.
(c) In Carthage, South Dakota.
(d) In Fairbanks, Alaska.
5. How do Waterman and Chris differ?
(a) Chris was able to make friends, Waterman was socially awkward.
(b) Chris was afraid of the water and Waterman feared heights.
(c) Chris burned his money, but Waterman always had money with him.
(d) Chis was short and Waterman was very tall.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Chris introduce himself to Gallien?
2. What did Chris do on frequent visits to Franz's apartment in Salton City?
3. What alias did Ruess carve on the walls of the canyon?
4. What Tolstoy book was found inside the bus?
5. What does Ruess's biographer, Ken Sleight, believe happened to Ruess?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Krakauer rebut the idea that Chris was a reckless idiot, a wacko, a narcissist?
2. Describe the first indication that Walt and Billie McCandless had of where Chris might be.
3. Describe Walt McCandless as a professional and a businessman.
4. What is Krakauer's summary of Chris's actions during the time he was looking for work to save up for Alaska?
5. Explain Chris's lack of readiness for his Alaskan adventure.
6. When hunters discovered Chris's body in September of 1992, what did they decide to do?
7. Why does Krakauer mention the papar at the end of Chapter 9?
8. When Jim Gallien picked Chris up, what went through the back of his mind?
9. The man Chris describes as a lunatic, Charlie, holds what kind of opinion about Chris?
10. Why do people still come to the site where the bus stands?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)