|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Krakauer suggest shows that Chris was not mentally ill?
(a) He wrote lucidly in his journal.
(b) He had decided this would be his last adventure.
(c) Chris had no illusion that someone would come to save him.
(d) He had studied up on edible plants in America.
2. Where did Chris intend to hike?
(a) Where no one had ever gone before.
(b) Southwestward into Canada.
(c) Along the Alaskan Pipeline.
(d) The Stampede Trail, a faint track in the wilderness well off the beaten path.
3. What strange actions did Chris take right after graduating college?
(a) He gave away his entire savings to charity, abandoned his possessions, and became a drifter and wilderness explorer.
(b) He shot his father and spent the next three years on the run from the police.
(c) He began a backpack trip that he hoped would eventually take him around the world.
(d) He gave his car to his sister and took a bicycle to New York where he went to work on a merchant ship.
4. What response does Krakauer report that he got from his OUTSIDE Magazine article on Chris?
(a) They were mostly critical of Chris's ignorance.
(b) Most people applauded Chris's spirit.
(c) Most people wanted to know more about Chris's family life.
(d) Most people thought Krakauer had made up the story.
5. What complication did Chris face while living in The Slabs?
(a) Tracy, a 17-year-old girl developed a huge crush on him.
(b) He could produce no identification when the border patrol came to the camp.
(c) The other drifters believed he was an undercover cop.
(d) He got into an argument with Jan Burres.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Krakauer include a narrative about moose hunters driving off-road trucks to get to the site Chris eventually found?
2. What was the official verdict on the cause of death?
3. In what way did Chris exhibit a double standard about money?
4. What was located at Oh-My-God Hot Springs?
5. What item of clothing did Chris seem to abhor?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Westerberg able to help the police with their further investigation?
2. The man Chris describes as a lunatic, Charlie, holds what kind of opinion about Chris?
3. Why does Krakauer mention the papar at the end of Chapter 9?
4. What do Carine and her parents regret after the fact of Chris's death?
5. What impression did Chris make on Ron Franz?
6. What kind of place was The Slabs?
7. To show his kindred spirit with Chris, what does Krakauer write about in Chapter 14?
8. Explain why Krakauer traveled to Carthage, South Dakota.
9. Why do people still come to the site where the bus stands?
10. What is so unusual about Chris's never seeing another human being while he was camped at the bus?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)