|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is The Slabs?
(a) An abandoned military base where drifters come during the winter.
(b) A flat, rocky area in the Arizona desert.
(c) An old U. S. Calvary outpost.
(d) A settlement of people who erect their tents on concrete slabs.
2. Why does Krakauer include a narrative about moose hunters driving off-road trucks to get to the site Chris eventually found?
(a) To show the difficulties even well-equipped people have in this wilderness.
(b) To provide a bit of humor against the tension of the story.
(c) To explain the existence of the bus where Chris stayed.
(d) To put a note of optimism into the story which sustains the suspense.
3. What steps did Walt and Billie take to find Chris?
(a) They hired a private investigator.
(b) They took a trip to Eureka, California.
(c) They got the police to put out an APB on Chris.
(d) They went on TV begging Chris to come home.
4. Where did Chris's canoe trip eventually take him after going as far as he could down the Colorado River?
(a) He retraced his way back upstream.
(b) He ended up staying with a Mexican family for six weeks.
(c) Some duck hunters agreed to drive him to the Gulf of California.
(d) He headed South and ended up in Acapulco.
5. To whom did Chris send a postcard from Bullhead City?
(a) Jan Buress.
(b) His ex-girlfriend.
(c) His sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Westerberg give Chris?
2. Who had carved a passage from the creek up to the dry gulch?
3. Where did Chris McCandless come from?
4. How does Krakauer classify Chris as opposed to the way most people saw him?
5. What event happened in April 1992 that prompted the writing of Into The Wild?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Westerberg able to help the police with their further investigation?
2. What kind of place was The Slabs?
3. Discuss the difference between Chris's treatment of his parents and the way he treated strangers.
4. The man Chris describes as a lunatic, Charlie, holds what kind of opinion about Chris?
5. Describe the first indication that Walt and Billie McCandless had of where Chris might be.
6. Tell something about Chris's connection to Jan Burres and her boyfriend Bob.
7. What two things was Gallien able to provide the Alaska authorities?
8. What happened to Chris's plan to paddle a canoe from Arizona to the Gulf of California?
9. Discuss the inconsistency of Chris and his ideas about money.
10. Describe Westerberg's comments to Krakauer two months after Chris died.
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)