|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What complication did Chris face while living in The Slabs?
(a) He got into an argument with Jan Burres.
(b) He could produce no identification when the border patrol came to the camp.
(c) The other drifters believed he was an undercover cop.
(d) Tracy, a 17-year-old girl developed a huge crush on him.
2. What food was Chris extremely fond of?
(b) Grilled cheese.
3. Where did Chris's canoe trip eventually take him after going as far as he could down the Colorado River?
(a) He headed South and ended up in Acapulco.
(b) He retraced his way back upstream.
(c) He ended up staying with a Mexican family for six weeks.
(d) Some duck hunters agreed to drive him to the Gulf of California.
4. Where did Chris live while he was in Carthage?
(a) In a cheap boarding house.
(b) At the YMCA.
(c) In the Westerberg home.
(d) In a tack room.
5. To whom did Chris send a postcard from Bullhead City?
(a) Jan Buress.
(b) His sister.
(d) His ex-girlfriend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What questions did Chris ask Gallien that impressed the older man?
2. During an interview with Krakauer, what does Westerberg say about Chris?
3. What did Chris do with the $24,000 he had left over from his inheritance?
4. What did Chris and Ruess each do shortly before their deaths?
5. What problem did Killian have in contacting the authorities?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Chris's plan to paddle a canoe from Arizona to the Gulf of California?
2. Tell something about Chris's connection to Jan Burres and her boyfriend Bob.
3. How does Krakauer rebut the idea that Chris was a reckless idiot, a wacko, a narcissist?
4. Describe the first indication that Walt and Billie McCandless had of where Chris might be.
5. What was the relationship Chris developed with the Westerberg family?
6. What are some particulars about Alex (Chris) deciding to go to San Diego?
7. Describe Jim Gallien's difficulty contacting the Alaska state troopers.
8. Discuss the difference between Chris's treatment of his parents and the way he treated strangers.
9. Explain why Krakauer traveled to Carthage, South Dakota.
10. Describe Westerberg's comments to Krakauer two months after Chris died.
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)