|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the similar experience that led to both of these stories of drop out and adventure?
(a) Both of them had issues with their family life.
(b) Both of them graduated from Emory University.
(c) Both of them were classical musicians.
(d) Both of them drove Yellow Datsons.
2. What work did Chris (Alex) do while he stayed with Jan and Bob at The Slabs?
(a) Acting as a security gurad.
(b) Digging ditches.
(c) Selling in their fleamarket books stall.
(d) Making hamburgers that he learned how to do at McDonald's.
3. What similar classic books are favorites of Ruess and Chris?
(a) Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea and Moby Dick.
(b) Call of the Wild and Around the World in Eighty Days.
(c) Look Homeward Angel and Lassie Come Home.
(d) Great Expectations and Gone With the Wind.
4. What was the official verdict on the cause of death?
(a) Lead poisoning.
(c) Punctured lungs.
5. What problem did Killian have in contacting the authorities?
(a) It was difficult to find a place where radio signals could get through.
(b) The other people did not want him to contact the troopers because they did not want to get involved.
(c) The ice broke on the river and left it more than a hundred yards wide.
(d) His vehicle broke down and it took hours to fix.
Short Answer Questions
1. At which stop did Chris remain for the longest time?
2. When Franz offered to give Chris a ride to his campsite, what is it he didn't know?
3. How does Krakauer answer Chris's critics?
4. After surviving 10 years living off the land, what became of Rosellini?
5. Impressed with Chris's intelligence, what did Franz try to get him to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Chris's abandonment of his beloved Datsun.
2. Describe Westerberg's comments to Krakauer two months after Chris died.
3. When Jim Gallien picked Chris up, what went through the back of his mind?
4. Why do people still come to the site where the bus stands?
5. How did there happen to be an abandoned bus where Chris could find it?
6. What kind of place was The Slabs?
7. What happened to Chris's plan to paddle a canoe from Arizona to the Gulf of California?
8. What are some particulars about Alex (Chris) deciding to go to San Diego?
9. What impression did Chris make on Ron Franz?
10. Why does Krakauer mention the papar at the end of Chapter 9?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)