|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What prevented Jan and Bob from going to Bullhead City to pick Chris up?
(a) He arrived at their door before they could leave.
(b) Information that they were wanted by the police.
(c) A series of freak desert storms.
(d) Their mobile home broke down.
2. After a series of misadventures on his way to San Diego, why did Chris call Franz?
(a) To tell Franz that he was in the hospital.
(b) To see if he had gotten any mail.
(c) To ask him to send money.
(d) To come pick him up.
3. Why did the employees at McDonald's object to Chris?
(a) His bad attitude.
(b) His being a loner.
(c) His long hair.
(d) His poor hygiene.
4. What problem did the authorities have after removing Chris's body?
(a) Keeping the body frozen.
(b) Finding enough tissue to autopsy.
(c) Getting the body to Fairbanks.
(d) Identifying him.
5. What symbol is ironic on the leather belt?
(a) A raised fist.
(b) Chris's initials surrounded by a scull and crossbones.
(c) A serpent head baring its fangs.
(d) A tombstone marked R.I.P.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is ironic about Krakauer's descriptions of Walt McCandless and that of his rebellious son, Chris?
2. What group of Irish aesthetics does Krakauer include in Chapter 9?
3. What was located at Oh-My-God Hot Springs?
4. What story does Krakauer tell that resembles Chris's in many ways?
5. When Chris corresponded with his sister, what did he confide to her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What impression did Chris make on Ron Franz?
2. How are letters written by Ruess and Chris another point of similarity in their stories?
3. Explain Chris's lack of readiness for his Alaskan adventure.
4. Why do people still come to the site where the bus stands?
5. What are some particulars about Alex (Chris) deciding to go to San Diego?
6. How was Westerberg able to help the police with their further investigation?
7. Why does Krakauer mention the papar at the end of Chapter 9?
8. Tell how Krakauer disliked the assertion from so many people that Chris had foolishly thrown away his life.
9. How did there happen to be an abandoned bus where Chris could find it?
10. Describe the first indication that Walt and Billie McCandless had of where Chris might be.
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)