|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Alex stay outside of Salton City?
(a) Right at Oh-My-God Hot Springs.
(b) Joshua Tree National Park.
(c) Palm Springs.
(d) Anza-Borrego Desert State Park.
2. What was the official verdict on the cause of death?
(b) Punctured lungs.
(d) Lead poisoning.
3. How did Chris describe Charlie, the man who let him stay in a vacant mobile home?
(a) As a father figure.
(b) As uneducated.
(c) As a lunatic.
(d) As being benevolent.
4. Where did Jim Gallien first encounter Chris?
(a) In a cheap cafe on the outskirts of Fairbanks.
(b) In the library at Fairbanks, Alaska.
(c) Hitchhiking about four miles outside of Fairbanks, Alaska.
(d) In a hardware store in Fairbanks, Alaska.
5. Why did Christ steal a bicycle in Northern California?
(a) The man he worked for refused to pay him.
(b) He was delirious at the time and did not know what he was doing.
(c) He had always wanted a bike like that.
(d) He intended to return and pay for it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Gallien think about Chris's weapon?
2. What indicates that Chris intended his Alaska trip to be his final great adventure?
3. How had Chris already been separating himself from his family?
4. What steps did Walt and Billie take to find Chris?
5. What unusual political action did Waterman take after his climb?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Krakauer traveled to Carthage, South Dakota.
2. Explain Chris's lack of readiness for his Alaskan adventure.
3. What impression did Chris make on Ron Franz?
4. How did Wayne Westerberg come to notify the police?
5. How abrupt was Chris's separation from his family?
6. What two things was Gallien able to provide the Alaska authorities?
7. Describe Westerberg's comments to Krakauer two months after Chris died.
8. How does Krakauer rebut the idea that Chris was a reckless idiot, a wacko, a narcissist?
9. Discuss the difference between Chris's treatment of his parents and the way he treated strangers.
10. What are some particulars about Alex (Chris) deciding to go to San Diego?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)