|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom did Chris send a postcard from Bullhead City?
(a) Jan Buress.
(c) His ex-girlfriend.
(d) His sister.
2. After dropping Chris off, why did Gallien decide not to notify the authorities?
(a) It slipped his mind after he got back to town.
(b) He planned to return to check up on Chris.
(c) He promised he would not do that.
(d) He decided Chris would give up on his foolish plan soon enough.
3. During an interview with Krakauer, what does Westerberg say about Chris?
(a) That he was an expert mechanic.
(b) That he had an admirable spirit of adventure.
(c) That he lacked common sense.
(d) That he seldom told the truth.
4. Still calling himself by another name, Chris met two drifters who befriend him. Who were they?
(a) Jan Burres and her boyfriend Bob.
(b) Betty Burres and her father Edgar.
(c) Martha Burres and her son Tom.
(d) Jane Burres and her nephew Fred.
5. What feat did Waterman achieve in 1978?
(a) He swam the English Channel in record time.
(b) He climbed Mt. Hunter's southeast spur on his own.
(c) He jumped out of a plane and parachuetted to the top of Mt. Hunter.
(d) He walked from Washington, D. C. to San Francisco.
Short Answer Questions
1. What unusual political action did Waterman take after his climb?
2. How did Chris introduce himself to Gallien?
3. What did Krakauer include in the book besides events he uncovered from the life of Chris McCandless?
4. What did Westerberg give Chris?
5. What was Chris carrying when he met Jim Gallien?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Chris's abandonment of his beloved Datsun.
2. When Jim Gallien picked Chris up, what went through the back of his mind?
3. Why does Krakauer mention the papar at the end of Chapter 9?
4. Describe Westerberg's comments to Krakauer two months after Chris died.
5. What kind of place was The Slabs?
6. Describe Walt McCandless as a professional and a businessman.
7. How was Westerberg able to help the police with their further investigation?
8. How does Krakauer rebut the idea that Chris was a reckless idiot, a wacko, a narcissist?
9. Tell something about Chris's connection to Jan Burres and her boyfriend Bob.
10. Explain why Krakauer traveled to Carthage, South Dakota.
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)