|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What similarity is there between Jon's relationship with his father and Chris's relationship with Walt?
(a) Secrets were revealed and both young men resented the hypocracy.
(b) Both fathers were old and out of touch.
(c) Both fathers turned out to be bigamists.
(d) Both fathers were weak willed and seldom gave their children advice.
2. What sad discovery does Krakauer make just a quarter mile down stream on the river?
(a) There is an old bridge that a person could walk across.
(b) At the now defunct station, a steel cable stretches across the river with an aluminum basket suspended from this cable by pulleys.
(c) There is a ranger station stocked with all kinds of food.
(d) There is evidence that Chris came that far and went back.
3. What did Billie find in the bus?
(a) A spoon from an old family silverware set.
(b) One of Buck's dog collars.
(c) A coffee mug with the family monogram on it.
(d) Photos of her and Walt.
4. What is significant about the cloth belt Krakauer founds in the bus?
(a) He seemd to have made it to tie up his paperback books.
(b) Chris had made it to keep himself busy.
(c) Chris probably didn't want to ruin the leather belt he had made at Ron Franz's house.
(d) It must have been made when Chris got too thin for his jeans.
5. A year after Chris's death, what did Krakauer observe on the banks of the Teklanika River where Chris had been unable to cross?
(a) The river was overflowing its banks.
(b) There are dangerous rocks just under the surface of the water.
(c) The ice was breaking up and the footing was dangerous.
(d) The river is indeed a wide, churning flow of water.
6. What family outings did the McCandless family mention to Krakauer?
(a) A beach house in Cape Cod.
(b) A yearly trip to Texas.
(c) Going to the Grand Canyon every year.
(d) Camping trips with an Airstream Trailer.
7. What is so poignant about the final photograph Chris took of himself holding his good-bye note?
(a) It is blurry because he was too weak to hold the camera steady.
(b) The end of his good-bye note says he will see everyone in a month.
(c) His emaciated frame contrasts with the smile on his face.
(d) He doesn't realize that he is holding the note upside down.
8. At the time of publication of the notice of Chris's death, what problem did the police have?
(a) They had beed unable to get the body out.
(b) They did not have forensic labs in that part of Alaska.
(c) They had been unable to identify him.
(d) They had no response from the public about the body.
9. What did Chris do the summer after his sophomore year in college?
(a) He worked in a garage to make money to buy his Datsun.
(b) He returned to Annandale and wrote a flawless software program.
(c) He spent the entire summer with his sister, Carine.
(d) He took a cross country hike.
10. What important work does Walt McCandless do?
(b) Advanced radar technology.
(c) Nuclear physicist.
(d) CIA undercover.
11. What did Billie leave in the bus?
(a) A down coat and some matches.
(b) A suitcase filled with emergency food supplies.
(c) A set of steel plates and cups.
(d) Three heavy blankets.
12. What did the bones outside the bus reveal?
(a) That the animal Chris killed had been eaten by vultures.
(b) That Chris had been unable to kill edible animals.
(c) That the bus had been attacked by wolves.
(d) What Chris thought was a moose was actually caribou.
13. What happened 10 months after Chris's death?
(a) Billie and Walt got a divorce.
(b) Carine had a dream about Chris.
(c) Ten months after McCandless's death, Krakauer, Billie and Walt took a helicopter to the bus site.
(d) The company that owns the bus took it away.
14. How is Carine different from Chris?
(a) She always returns home when she disappears.
(b) She is a good cook.
(c) She made peace with their parents.
(d) She is interested in helping the homeless.
15. What spurred Krakauer on after his failed attempt to climb Devil's Thumb?
(a) A spider that keeps working after its web breaks.
(b) His mood after he naps.
(c) The prospect of defeat.
(d) The fact that he has enough food to try again.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Billie realize as she get to the bus?
2. What was the tender moment between Chris and his father right after Chris graduated from high school?
3. What gift did Walt give Billie after the birth of Chris?
4. What did Walt leave in the bus?
5. What information does Gallien provide the police?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)