|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to Billie in July of 1992?
(a) She was diagnosed with cancer.
(b) She had a nervous breakdown.
(c) She had a vivid dream of Chris calling her for help.
(d) She had a dibilitating auto accident.
2. What was in the McCandless house that speaks to the feelings of Walt and Billie McCandless toward Chris?
(a) All of Chris's track trophies lined up on the mantle.
(b) No photos of Chris in the house.
(c) Clippings of newspaper articles and magazine stories about Chris.
(d) A photo memorial to Chris on the dining room table.
3. What did the bones outside the bus reveal?
(a) That the animal Chris killed had been eaten by vultures.
(b) What Chris thought was a moose was actually caribou.
(c) That Chris had been unable to kill edible animals.
(d) That the bus had been attacked by wolves.
4. How does Roman Dial, who teaches at the University of Alaska, interpret Chris's actions?
(a) Roman thinks no one should ever attempt what Chris did.
(b) He thinks the native Alaskans are right to condemn Chris.
(c) Roman admires McCandless's efforts but would not undertake them himself.
(d) He agrees that Chris was borderline neurotic.
5. What did Billie find in the bus?
(a) Photos of her and Walt.
(b) One of Buck's dog collars.
(c) A coffee mug with the family monogram on it.
(d) A spoon from an old family silverware set.
6. What sad discovery does Krakauer make just a quarter mile down stream on the river?
(a) There is a ranger station stocked with all kinds of food.
(b) There is evidence that Chris came that far and went back.
(c) There is an old bridge that a person could walk across.
(d) At the now defunct station, a steel cable stretches across the river with an aluminum basket suspended from this cable by pulleys.
7. How far did Chris travel on the Stampede Trail before he located the abandoned bus?
(a) Twenty miles.
(b) Ten miles.
(c) A mile and a half.
(d) Forty miles.
8. What similarity is there between Jon's relationship with his father and Chris's relationship with Walt?
(a) Secrets were revealed and both young men resented the hypocracy.
(b) Both fathers were old and out of touch.
(c) Both fathers turned out to be bigamists.
(d) Both fathers were weak willed and seldom gave their children advice.
9. What is significant about the cloth belt Krakauer founds in the bus?
(a) Chris had made it to keep himself busy.
(b) It must have been made when Chris got too thin for his jeans.
(c) He seemd to have made it to tie up his paperback books.
(d) Chris probably didn't want to ruin the leather belt he had made at Ron Franz's house.
10. What shows Chris's attitude toward injustices that began when he was in college?
(a) He began bringing homeless people to his dorm room.
(b) He started a soup kitchen in Annandale.
(c) He refused a new car because there were so many people who did not have one.
(d) He took classes about world hunger, poverty, wealth distribution and racism.
11. What connection did Jim Gallien make when he read the article about Chris's death?
(a) Chris was the young hitchhiker he had given a ride to the Stampede Trail.
(b) The .22-caliber rifle they found in the bus was the same as the hitchhiker's he'd given a ride to.
(c) The empty bag of rice the article said the police found in the bus reminded him of the hitchhiker he'd picked up.
(d) The rubber boots the news article mentioned were the ones he'd given Chris.
12. Racing against a storm, Krakauer reaches the summit of the Thumb. How does he describe it?
(a) He describes it as a big disappointment.
(b) He describes it as breathtakingly beautiful.
(c) He describes the summit as malevolent and surreal.
(d) He describes it as the coldest place on earth.
13. When did Jon Krakauer interview Walt McCandless?
(a) Never. He would not speak with Krakauer.
(b) A year after Chris died.
(c) On what would have been Chris's birthday.
(d) Seven weeks after Chris's body was recovered.
14. What was the skeleton in Walt's closet that stressed the whole family, Chris in particular?
(a) Walt had lived a bigamist life for some years after Chris was born.
(b) Walt kept a mistress after Chris went to college.
(c) Walt had affairs with several women.
(d) Walt and Billie divorced but later remarried.
15. What daunting challenge did Krakauer set for himself as a young man?
(a) To prove that he is always right.
(b) To scale a mountain called the Devils Thumb alone.
(c) To ski down Mt. McKinley.
(d) To find out how much terror he can stand.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Krakauer think actually killed Chris?
2. Why did Chris write in his journal that he had found the Magic Bus?
3. What happened 10 months after Chris's death?
4. What is significant about August 5?
5. After Chris left home, why didnn't Carine get upset when he won't tell her where he was?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)