|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Billie leave in the bus?
(a) A suitcase filled with emergency food supplies.
(b) Three heavy blankets.
(c) A down coat and some matches.
(d) A set of steel plates and cups.
2. When did Jon Krakauer interview Walt McCandless?
(a) Never. He would not speak with Krakauer.
(b) Seven weeks after Chris's body was recovered.
(c) On what would have been Chris's birthday.
(d) A year after Chris died.
3. What affected the eating habits of Chris's family?
(a) Learning that he starved to death.
(b) Not being able to eat rice.
(c) Thinking about how they found Chris's body.
(d) Thinking more about the homeless.
4. How did the police know Chris's real last name?
(a) From his journal.
(b) From the note he had taped to the bus door.
(c) From his virginia driver's license.
(d) From his Social Security card they found in his wallet.
5. What information does Gallien provide the police?
(a) That Alex was coughing bad when he dropped him off.
(b) That Alex's real name was Chris McCandless.
(c) That the young man had called himself Alex and had come from South Dakota.
(d) That Alex had mentioned a friend named Ron in California.
6. Why did Chris write in his journal that he had found the Magic Bus?
(a) Because it was stocked with wilderness essentials by the hunters who use it during moose season.
(b) Because it saved him from having to pitch his tent.
(c) Because it popped up out of nowhere.
(d) Because it reminded him of a magic flying machine.
7. How was Westerberg able to help the police?
(a) He had Chris's fingerprints on file.
(b) He had Chris's Social Security number on file.
(c) He told them Chris graduated from Emory University.
(d) He had a photo of Chris's yellow Datsun with the license plate showing.
8. Why did the Candless family not follow the route Chris had taken to get to the bus as Billie wanted?
(a) The Teklanika River was running too high, and the group was advised not to attempt it.
(b) There was no time to take that route as Chris had done.
(c) They did not have good directions from Chris's journal.
(d) The river had changed course and Chris's route was no longer possible.
9. What was the tender moment between Chris and his father right after Chris graduated from high school?
(a) He spent that summer doing things with his father.
(b) He let his father ready his personal journal.
(c) He gave his father an expensive telescope and told him how much he appreciated him.
(d) He asked his father's advice about choosing a college.
10. What evidence does Krakauer find that suggests Chris was ready to re-enter society?
(a) Doctor Zhivago, a book Chris was reading, includes that genuine happiness must be shared with one's fellow human beings and Chris had made a note beside that passage.
(b) Chris had written down the names and addresses of everyone who had helped him so he could visit them again.
(c) The graffiti Chris drew on the bus indicated he wanted to see people again.
(d) Chris's journal indicated that he was beginning to doubt Thoreau.
11. What connection did Jim Gallien make when he read the article about Chris's death?
(a) The rubber boots the news article mentioned were the ones he'd given Chris.
(b) Chris was the young hitchhiker he had given a ride to the Stampede Trail.
(c) The empty bag of rice the article said the police found in the bus reminded him of the hitchhiker he'd picked up.
(d) The .22-caliber rifle they found in the bus was the same as the hitchhiker's he'd given a ride to.
12. Why does Krakauer think Chris could not excrete poison from his body?
(a) He did not have enough white blood cells to fight organisms.
(b) Melted snow water caused him to become severely constipated.
(c) His bowel and urinary sustems had shut down.
(d) His deteriorated body did not have enough glucose and amino acids to bind with the poisons.
13. What characteristic of his father's does Krakauer mention as a flaw?
(a) That his father never climbed a mountain.
(b) That his father worked too many jobs.
(c) That his father was too kind to everyone.
(d) That his father could never admit to being wrong.
14. How far did Chris travel on the Stampede Trail before he located the abandoned bus?
(a) Forty miles.
(b) Ten miles.
(c) Twenty miles.
(d) A mile and a half.
15. What did Chris do the summer after his sophomore year in college?
(a) He took a cross country hike.
(b) He returned to Annandale and wrote a flawless software program.
(c) He worked in a garage to make money to buy his Datsun.
(d) He spent the entire summer with his sister, Carine.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the time of publication of the notice of Chris's death, what problem did the police have?
2. What was the skeleton in Walt's closet that stressed the whole family, Chris in particular?
3. August 12, Chris left the bus to forage for berries. What did the note he left on the door say?
4. How is Carine different from Chris?
5. What two requests did Stuckey make of Alex as they parted company?
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)