|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What ambitions did Jon Krakauer's father have for all of his children?
(a) That they would attend Ivy League schools.
(b) That they would excell in sports.
(c) That they would all enter the family business.
(d) That they would leave home and be on their own after high school.
2. What was the tender moment between Chris and his father right after Chris graduated from high school?
(a) He spent that summer doing things with his father.
(b) He let his father ready his personal journal.
(c) He gave his father an expensive telescope and told him how much he appreciated him.
(d) He asked his father's advice about choosing a college.
3. Chris's parents had moved, but his step brother was contacted. After he positively identified Chris, what did he do?
(a) Flew to Alaska to claim the body.
(b) Contacted Gillien to get more information.
(c) Told his wife that he always knew Chris would end that way.
(d) Drove to Maryland to inform Chris's parents.
4. What did Billie realize as she get to the bus?
(a) The place looked like a frozen desert.
(b) It was so isolated that no one could remain sane there.
(c) The terraine looked like where she grew up and that Chris must have loved it.
(d) Chris had found the farthest place he could to get away from them.
5. How was Westerberg able to help the police?
(a) He had a photo of Chris's yellow Datsun with the license plate showing.
(b) He had Chris's fingerprints on file.
(c) He had Chris's Social Security number on file.
(d) He told them Chris graduated from Emory University.
6. How far did Chris travel on the Stampede Trail before he located the abandoned bus?
(a) Twenty miles.
(b) A mile and a half.
(c) Forty miles.
(d) Ten miles.
7. August 12, Chris left the bus to forage for berries. What did the note he left on the door say?
(a) It was a desperate plea for assistance signed with his real name.
(b) "There is stew on the stove, go in and help yourself."
(c) "Gone fishing, be back in one hour."
(d) "If I do not return, look for me north of the bus."
8. What information does Gallien provide the police?
(a) That the young man had called himself Alex and had come from South Dakota.
(b) That Alex had mentioned a friend named Ron in California.
(c) That Alex was coughing bad when he dropped him off.
(d) That Alex's real name was Chris McCandless.
9. Why does Krakauer think Chris could not excrete poison from his body?
(a) He did not have enough white blood cells to fight organisms.
(b) His bowel and urinary sustems had shut down.
(c) Melted snow water caused him to become severely constipated.
(d) His deteriorated body did not have enough glucose and amino acids to bind with the poisons.
10. Where did Chris leave from on April 15, 1992 on his journey to Alaska?
(b) Los angeles.
11. When Krakauer was at the mountain he came to climb, what enhanced his emotions?
(a) Two sturdy aluminum curtain rods with him, lashed in a cross shape, to prevent him from falling into a crevasse.
(b) The beauty of the snowy terrain and clear sky was intensified for him by his solitude.
(c) The cheers of the people who came to see him off.
(d) The clean air which gave him an oxygen high.
12. What gift did Walt give Billie after the birth of Chris?
(a) A leather bound copy of Leaves of Grass.
(b) A 3-carat diamond ring.
(c) The Gianni guitar that was left in the yellow Datson.
(d) A vacation in Paris.
13. What did Krakauer do similar to what Chris did when he needed to go to the village of Petersberg?
(a) He bought a big bag of rice.
(b) He sent postcards to friends.
(c) He burned his money.
(d) He abandoned his car.
14. What does Krakauer think actually killed Chris?
(a) Tainted canned goods he found in the bus.
(b) Choking on rabbit bones.
(c) The wild potato seeds he was eating.
(d) Poisonous leaves he was reduced to eating.
15. What did Walt leave in the bus?
(a) A flashlight and some batteries.
(b) A memorial plaque.
(c) An emergency radio operated by a hand crank.
(d) A book about edible plants in the area.
Short Answer Questions
1. What spurred Krakauer on after his failed attempt to climb Devil's Thumb?
2. Who gave Krakauer dinner and a place to sleep in Petersberg?
3. What daunting challenge did Krakauer set for himself as a young man?
4. When Krakauer reached an impassable place on the mountain, what did he do?
5. How does Krakauer interpret the evidence he gathered about Chris?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)