|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What shows Chris's attitude toward injustices that began when he was in college?
(a) He took classes about world hunger, poverty, wealth distribution and racism.
(b) He refused a new car because there were so many people who did not have one.
(c) He started a soup kitchen in Annandale.
(d) He began bringing homeless people to his dorm room.
2. What ambitions did Jon Krakauer's father have for all of his children?
(a) That they would attend Ivy League schools.
(b) That they would all enter the family business.
(c) That they would excell in sports.
(d) That they would leave home and be on their own after high school.
3. What two requests did Stuckey make of Alex as they parted company?
(a) Send him photos of his adventure and notify the forrest service where he will be.
(b) Change his mind and go back to the Westerbergs.
(c) Wait until spring and work to get money for better boots.
(d) Write him a letter when he returns and call his parents before he goes into the wilderness.
4. What did Billie find in the bus?
(a) A coffee mug with the family monogram on it.
(b) One of Buck's dog collars.
(c) A spoon from an old family silverware set.
(d) Photos of her and Walt.
5. Why did the Candless family not follow the route Chris had taken to get to the bus as Billie wanted?
(a) The river had changed course and Chris's route was no longer possible.
(b) They did not have good directions from Chris's journal.
(c) The Teklanika River was running too high, and the group was advised not to attempt it.
(d) There was no time to take that route as Chris had done.
6. What trait did sports reveal in Chris?
(a) He wanted other people to win.
(b) He did not take defeat well.
(c) He was lazy about training.
(d) He was not interested in competition.
7. What happened 10 months after Chris's death?
(a) Carine had a dream about Chris.
(b) Ten months after McCandless's death, Krakauer, Billie and Walt took a helicopter to the bus site.
(c) Billie and Walt got a divorce.
(d) The company that owns the bus took it away.
8. How is Carine different from Chris?
(a) She made peace with their parents.
(b) She is a good cook.
(c) She is interested in helping the homeless.
(d) She always returns home when she disappears.
9. What does Krakauer think actually killed Chris?
(a) The wild potato seeds he was eating.
(b) Choking on rabbit bones.
(c) Tainted canned goods he found in the bus.
(d) Poisonous leaves he was reduced to eating.
10. What sad discovery does Krakauer make just a quarter mile down stream on the river?
(a) There is evidence that Chris came that far and went back.
(b) At the now defunct station, a steel cable stretches across the river with an aluminum basket suspended from this cable by pulleys.
(c) There is a ranger station stocked with all kinds of food.
(d) There is an old bridge that a person could walk across.
11. How did the police know Chris's real last name?
(a) From his Social Security card they found in his wallet.
(b) From his virginia driver's license.
(c) From his journal.
(d) From the note he had taped to the bus door.
12. What did Walt leave in the bus?
(a) A flashlight and some batteries.
(b) A memorial plaque.
(c) An emergency radio operated by a hand crank.
(d) A book about edible plants in the area.
13. What characteristic of his father's does Krakauer mention as a flaw?
(a) That his father worked too many jobs.
(b) That his father was too kind to everyone.
(c) That his father never climbed a mountain.
(d) That his father could never admit to being wrong.
14. What was the tender moment between Chris and his father right after Chris graduated from high school?
(a) He asked his father's advice about choosing a college.
(b) He let his father ready his personal journal.
(c) He gave his father an expensive telescope and told him how much he appreciated him.
(d) He spent that summer doing things with his father.
15. What is significant about the cloth belt Krakauer founds in the bus?
(a) He seemd to have made it to tie up his paperback books.
(b) Chris had made it to keep himself busy.
(c) It must have been made when Chris got too thin for his jeans.
(d) Chris probably didn't want to ruin the leather belt he had made at Ron Franz's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Krakauer interpret the evidence he gathered about Chris?
2. Racing against a storm, Krakauer reaches the summit of the Thumb. How does he describe it?
3. August 12, Chris left the bus to forage for berries. What did the note he left on the door say?
4. What affected the eating habits of Chris's family?
5. How did Chris travel the 1,000 miles from Laird, Alaska, to Fairbanks?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)