|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What information does Gallien provide the police?
(a) That Alex had mentioned a friend named Ron in California.
(b) That the young man had called himself Alex and had come from South Dakota.
(c) That Alex was coughing bad when he dropped him off.
(d) That Alex's real name was Chris McCandless.
2. At the time of publication of the notice of Chris's death, what problem did the police have?
(a) They had beed unable to get the body out.
(b) They did not have forensic labs in that part of Alaska.
(c) They had no response from the public about the body.
(d) They had been unable to identify him.
3. What is significant about August 5?
(a) It was Chris's birthday.
(b) It was the day the moose hunters found his body.
(c) It was Chris's 100th day in the wilderness.
(d) It was the day he killed the caribou.
4. What sad discovery does Krakauer make just a quarter mile down stream on the river?
(a) At the now defunct station, a steel cable stretches across the river with an aluminum basket suspended from this cable by pulleys.
(b) There is a ranger station stocked with all kinds of food.
(c) There is an old bridge that a person could walk across.
(d) There is evidence that Chris came that far and went back.
5. August 12, Chris left the bus to forage for berries. What did the note he left on the door say?
(a) "Gone fishing, be back in one hour."
(b) "There is stew on the stove, go in and help yourself."
(c) It was a desperate plea for assistance signed with his real name.
(d) "If I do not return, look for me north of the bus."
6. What characteristic of his father's does Krakauer mention as a flaw?
(a) That his father never climbed a mountain.
(b) That his father worked too many jobs.
(c) That his father was too kind to everyone.
(d) That his father could never admit to being wrong.
7. What happened 10 months after Chris's death?
(a) Carine had a dream about Chris.
(b) The company that owns the bus took it away.
(c) Billie and Walt got a divorce.
(d) Ten months after McCandless's death, Krakauer, Billie and Walt took a helicopter to the bus site.
8. What did Walt leave in the bus?
(a) A book about edible plants in the area.
(b) A flashlight and some batteries.
(c) An emergency radio operated by a hand crank.
(d) A memorial plaque.
9. What family outings did the McCandless family mention to Krakauer?
(a) Going to the Grand Canyon every year.
(b) A yearly trip to Texas.
(c) Camping trips with an Airstream Trailer.
(d) A beach house in Cape Cod.
10. What was the skeleton in Walt's closet that stressed the whole family, Chris in particular?
(a) Walt and Billie divorced but later remarried.
(b) Walt had lived a bigamist life for some years after Chris was born.
(c) Walt had affairs with several women.
(d) Walt kept a mistress after Chris went to college.
11. What important work does Walt McCandless do?
(b) Nuclear physicist.
(c) CIA undercover.
(d) Advanced radar technology.
12. How does Roman Dial, who teaches at the University of Alaska, interpret Chris's actions?
(a) He agrees that Chris was borderline neurotic.
(b) Roman thinks no one should ever attempt what Chris did.
(c) Roman admires McCandless's efforts but would not undertake them himself.
(d) He thinks the native Alaskans are right to condemn Chris.
13. What similarity is there between Jon's relationship with his father and Chris's relationship with Walt?
(a) Both fathers were old and out of touch.
(b) Secrets were revealed and both young men resented the hypocracy.
(c) Both fathers were weak willed and seldom gave their children advice.
(d) Both fathers turned out to be bigamists.
14. How is Carine different from Chris?
(a) She is a good cook.
(b) She is interested in helping the homeless.
(c) She always returns home when she disappears.
(d) She made peace with their parents.
15. How did Chris travel the 1,000 miles from Laird, Alaska, to Fairbanks?
(a) Hitchhiking, he got a series of rides.
(b) He walked most of the way.
(c) Jim Gallien gave him a lift.
(d) A truck driver named Gaylord Stuckey picked him up.
Short Answer Questions
1. What emotional experience disturbed Chris while he is staying in the bus?
2. What is prominently displayed in Carine McCandless's home?
3. Racing against a storm, Krakauer reaches the summit of the Thumb. How does he describe it?
4. Two decades later, what has Krakauer learned about his relationship with his father?
5. How was Westerberg able to help the police?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)