|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What connection did Jim Gallien make when he read the article about Chris's death?
(a) The rubber boots the news article mentioned were the ones he'd given Chris.
(b) The .22-caliber rifle they found in the bus was the same as the hitchhiker's he'd given a ride to.
(c) Chris was the young hitchhiker he had given a ride to the Stampede Trail.
(d) The empty bag of rice the article said the police found in the bus reminded him of the hitchhiker he'd picked up.
2. What daunting challenge did Krakauer set for himself as a young man?
(a) To ski down Mt. McKinley.
(b) To find out how much terror he can stand.
(c) To scale a mountain called the Devils Thumb alone.
(d) To prove that he is always right.
3. What did Billie find in the bus?
(a) Photos of her and Walt.
(b) A coffee mug with the family monogram on it.
(c) One of Buck's dog collars.
(d) A spoon from an old family silverware set.
4. What similarity is there between Jon's relationship with his father and Chris's relationship with Walt?
(a) Both fathers were old and out of touch.
(b) Both fathers were weak willed and seldom gave their children advice.
(c) Secrets were revealed and both young men resented the hypocracy.
(d) Both fathers turned out to be bigamists.
5. What evidence does Krakauer find that suggests Chris was ready to re-enter society?
(a) Chris's journal indicated that he was beginning to doubt Thoreau.
(b) Doctor Zhivago, a book Chris was reading, includes that genuine happiness must be shared with one's fellow human beings and Chris had made a note beside that passage.
(c) The graffiti Chris drew on the bus indicated he wanted to see people again.
(d) Chris had written down the names and addresses of everyone who had helped him so he could visit them again.
6. What affected the eating habits of Chris's family?
(a) Learning that he starved to death.
(b) Thinking about how they found Chris's body.
(c) Thinking more about the homeless.
(d) Not being able to eat rice.
7. What is significant about the cloth belt Krakauer founds in the bus?
(a) Chris probably didn't want to ruin the leather belt he had made at Ron Franz's house.
(b) He seemd to have made it to tie up his paperback books.
(c) Chris had made it to keep himself busy.
(d) It must have been made when Chris got too thin for his jeans.
8. A year after Chris's death, what did Krakauer observe on the banks of the Teklanika River where Chris had been unable to cross?
(a) There are dangerous rocks just under the surface of the water.
(b) The river was overflowing its banks.
(c) The river is indeed a wide, churning flow of water.
(d) The ice was breaking up and the footing was dangerous.
9. What trait did sports reveal in Chris?
(a) He was lazy about training.
(b) He did not take defeat well.
(c) He wanted other people to win.
(d) He was not interested in competition.
10. Two decades later, what has Krakauer learned about his relationship with his father?
(a) Krakauer learned that he had been right to defy his father.
(b) Krakauer learned that he had improved himself by not becoming like his father.
(c) Krakauer learned that his father was always shallow and always would be.
(d) Krakauer realizes he was selfish, stubborn, and as difficult for his father to deal with as his father's behavior had been for him.
11. At the time of publication of the notice of Chris's death, what problem did the police have?
(a) They had been unable to identify him.
(b) They had no response from the public about the body.
(c) They did not have forensic labs in that part of Alaska.
(d) They had beed unable to get the body out.
12. Why did Chris write in his journal that he had found the Magic Bus?
(a) Because it saved him from having to pitch his tent.
(b) Because it reminded him of a magic flying machine.
(c) Because it popped up out of nowhere.
(d) Because it was stocked with wilderness essentials by the hunters who use it during moose season.
13. What characteristic of his father's does Krakauer mention as a flaw?
(a) That his father worked too many jobs.
(b) That his father could never admit to being wrong.
(c) That his father never climbed a mountain.
(d) That his father was too kind to everyone.
14. How is Carine different from Chris?
(a) She is a good cook.
(b) She made peace with their parents.
(c) She is interested in helping the homeless.
(d) She always returns home when she disappears.
15. What happened to Billie in July of 1992?
(a) She had a nervous breakdown.
(b) She had a dibilitating auto accident.
(c) She was diagnosed with cancer.
(d) She had a vivid dream of Chris calling her for help.
Short Answer Questions
1. What information does Gallien provide the police?
2. When Krakauer was at the mountain he came to climb, what enhanced his emotions?
3. How did the police know Chris's real last name?
4. What did Walt leave in the bus?
5. When did Jon Krakauer interview Walt McCandless?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)