|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A year after Chris's death, what did Krakauer observe on the banks of the Teklanika River where Chris had been unable to cross?
(a) The river is indeed a wide, churning flow of water.
(b) The river was overflowing its banks.
(c) The ice was breaking up and the footing was dangerous.
(d) There are dangerous rocks just under the surface of the water.
2. What did Krakauer do similar to what Chris did when he needed to go to the village of Petersberg?
(a) He bought a big bag of rice.
(b) He sent postcards to friends.
(c) He burned his money.
(d) He abandoned his car.
3. What was the tender moment between Chris and his father right after Chris graduated from high school?
(a) He let his father ready his personal journal.
(b) He spent that summer doing things with his father.
(c) He asked his father's advice about choosing a college.
(d) He gave his father an expensive telescope and told him how much he appreciated him.
4. Why did Chris write in his journal that he had found the Magic Bus?
(a) Because it popped up out of nowhere.
(b) Because it reminded him of a magic flying machine.
(c) Because it was stocked with wilderness essentials by the hunters who use it during moose season.
(d) Because it saved him from having to pitch his tent.
5. How did the police know Chris's real last name?
(a) From his journal.
(b) From the note he had taped to the bus door.
(c) From his virginia driver's license.
(d) From his Social Security card they found in his wallet.
6. Where did Chris leave from on April 15, 1992 on his journey to Alaska?
(a) Los angeles.
7. What happened to Billie in July of 1992?
(a) She had a vivid dream of Chris calling her for help.
(b) She had a dibilitating auto accident.
(c) She was diagnosed with cancer.
(d) She had a nervous breakdown.
8. What family outings did the McCandless family mention to Krakauer?
(a) Going to the Grand Canyon every year.
(b) Camping trips with an Airstream Trailer.
(c) A beach house in Cape Cod.
(d) A yearly trip to Texas.
9. What affected the eating habits of Chris's family?
(a) Thinking about how they found Chris's body.
(b) Thinking more about the homeless.
(c) Not being able to eat rice.
(d) Learning that he starved to death.
10. What spurred Krakauer on after his failed attempt to climb Devil's Thumb?
(a) His mood after he naps.
(b) The prospect of defeat.
(c) The fact that he has enough food to try again.
(d) A spider that keeps working after its web breaks.
11. What similarity is there between Jon's relationship with his father and Chris's relationship with Walt?
(a) Secrets were revealed and both young men resented the hypocracy.
(b) Both fathers were weak willed and seldom gave their children advice.
(c) Both fathers were old and out of touch.
(d) Both fathers turned out to be bigamists.
12. What shows Chris's attitude toward injustices that began when he was in college?
(a) He started a soup kitchen in Annandale.
(b) He took classes about world hunger, poverty, wealth distribution and racism.
(c) He refused a new car because there were so many people who did not have one.
(d) He began bringing homeless people to his dorm room.
13. What connection did Jim Gallien make when he read the article about Chris's death?
(a) The empty bag of rice the article said the police found in the bus reminded him of the hitchhiker he'd picked up.
(b) Chris was the young hitchhiker he had given a ride to the Stampede Trail.
(c) The .22-caliber rifle they found in the bus was the same as the hitchhiker's he'd given a ride to.
(d) The rubber boots the news article mentioned were the ones he'd given Chris.
14. August 12, Chris left the bus to forage for berries. What did the note he left on the door say?
(a) "There is stew on the stove, go in and help yourself."
(b) "If I do not return, look for me north of the bus."
(c) It was a desperate plea for assistance signed with his real name.
(d) "Gone fishing, be back in one hour."
15. What is significant about August 5?
(a) It was the day the moose hunters found his body.
(b) It was Chris's birthday.
(c) It was Chris's 100th day in the wilderness.
(d) It was the day he killed the caribou.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Krakauer think actually killed Chris?
2. What did Billie realize as she get to the bus?
3. How did Chris travel the 1,000 miles from Laird, Alaska, to Fairbanks?
4. What daunting challenge did Krakauer set for himself as a young man?
5. What two requests did Stuckey make of Alex as they parted company?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)