|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the police know Chris's real last name?
(a) From the note he had taped to the bus door.
(b) From his virginia driver's license.
(c) From his journal.
(d) From his Social Security card they found in his wallet.
2. Why does Krakauer relate his own experiences in Chapter 14?
(a) To prove that he had no right to write about Chris.
(b) To show how he was so much better than Chris.
(c) To see if he is any different now as a mature man.
(d) To show his affinity with Chris.
3. A year after Chris's death, what did Krakauer observe on the banks of the Teklanika River where Chris had been unable to cross?
(a) There are dangerous rocks just under the surface of the water.
(b) The river is indeed a wide, churning flow of water.
(c) The ice was breaking up and the footing was dangerous.
(d) The river was overflowing its banks.
4. What sad discovery does Krakauer make just a quarter mile down stream on the river?
(a) There is an old bridge that a person could walk across.
(b) There is a ranger station stocked with all kinds of food.
(c) There is evidence that Chris came that far and went back.
(d) At the now defunct station, a steel cable stretches across the river with an aluminum basket suspended from this cable by pulleys.
5. What does Krakauer think actually killed Chris?
(a) Poisonous leaves he was reduced to eating.
(b) The wild potato seeds he was eating.
(c) Tainted canned goods he found in the bus.
(d) Choking on rabbit bones.
6. Chris's parents had moved, but his step brother was contacted. After he positively identified Chris, what did he do?
(a) Flew to Alaska to claim the body.
(b) Contacted Gillien to get more information.
(c) Told his wife that he always knew Chris would end that way.
(d) Drove to Maryland to inform Chris's parents.
7. In light of his own experiences, what does Krakauer think of Chris's tactics?
(a) More young people should do what chris did.
(b) They are exemplary.
(c) Except for a bit of bad luck, Chris was right to do what he did.
(d) They are understandable but not justifiable.
8. What happened 10 months after Chris's death?
(a) Carine had a dream about Chris.
(b) Ten months after McCandless's death, Krakauer, Billie and Walt took a helicopter to the bus site.
(c) The company that owns the bus took it away.
(d) Billie and Walt got a divorce.
9. What was the tender moment between Chris and his father right after Chris graduated from high school?
(a) He spent that summer doing things with his father.
(b) He let his father ready his personal journal.
(c) He gave his father an expensive telescope and told him how much he appreciated him.
(d) He asked his father's advice about choosing a college.
10. What ambitions did Jon Krakauer's father have for all of his children?
(a) That they would attend Ivy League schools.
(b) That they would excell in sports.
(c) That they would all enter the family business.
(d) That they would leave home and be on their own after high school.
11. How does Roman Dial, who teaches at the University of Alaska, interpret Chris's actions?
(a) He agrees that Chris was borderline neurotic.
(b) Roman thinks no one should ever attempt what Chris did.
(c) Roman admires McCandless's efforts but would not undertake them himself.
(d) He thinks the native Alaskans are right to condemn Chris.
12. When Krakauer reached an impassable place on the mountain, what did he do?
(a) There was nothing to do but descend.
(b) He sat down and cried.
(c) He radioed for help.
(d) He started traveling horizontally on the mountain.
13. After Chris left home, why didnn't Carine get upset when he won't tell her where he was?
(a) She thought their father would try to bring him home if he knew.
(b) She knew Chris was happy and thought he would come home some day.
(c) She didn't want to know because she didn't care.
(d) She was glad he was gone so she could have his room.
14. How was Westerberg able to help the police?
(a) He had Chris's Social Security number on file.
(b) He had a photo of Chris's yellow Datsun with the license plate showing.
(c) He had Chris's fingerprints on file.
(d) He told them Chris graduated from Emory University.
15. What happened to Billie in July of 1992?
(a) She had a nervous breakdown.
(b) She had a vivid dream of Chris calling her for help.
(c) She had a dibilitating auto accident.
(d) She was diagnosed with cancer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift did Walt give Billie after the birth of Chris?
2. What was the skeleton in Walt's closet that stressed the whole family, Chris in particular?
3. What similarity is there between Jon's relationship with his father and Chris's relationship with Walt?
4. What did Billie leave in the bus?
5. What did Chris do the summer after his sophomore year in college?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)