|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the skeleton in Walt's closet that stressed the whole family, Chris in particular?
(a) Walt and Billie divorced but later remarried.
(b) Walt had affairs with several women.
(c) Walt had lived a bigamist life for some years after Chris was born.
(d) Walt kept a mistress after Chris went to college.
2. What did Billie find in the bus?
(a) One of Buck's dog collars.
(b) Photos of her and Walt.
(c) A spoon from an old family silverware set.
(d) A coffee mug with the family monogram on it.
3. What did the bones outside the bus reveal?
(a) What Chris thought was a moose was actually caribou.
(b) That Chris had been unable to kill edible animals.
(c) That the animal Chris killed had been eaten by vultures.
(d) That the bus had been attacked by wolves.
4. Chris's parents had moved, but his step brother was contacted. After he positively identified Chris, what did he do?
(a) Flew to Alaska to claim the body.
(b) Drove to Maryland to inform Chris's parents.
(c) Contacted Gillien to get more information.
(d) Told his wife that he always knew Chris would end that way.
5. What daunting challenge did Krakauer set for himself as a young man?
(a) To scale a mountain called the Devils Thumb alone.
(b) To ski down Mt. McKinley.
(c) To prove that he is always right.
(d) To find out how much terror he can stand.
6. What information does Gallien provide the police?
(a) That Alex had mentioned a friend named Ron in California.
(b) That Alex was coughing bad when he dropped him off.
(c) That the young man had called himself Alex and had come from South Dakota.
(d) That Alex's real name was Chris McCandless.
7. Where did Chris leave from on April 15, 1992 on his journey to Alaska?
(c) Los angeles.
8. What was in the McCandless house that speaks to the feelings of Walt and Billie McCandless toward Chris?
(a) A photo memorial to Chris on the dining room table.
(b) All of Chris's track trophies lined up on the mantle.
(c) Clippings of newspaper articles and magazine stories about Chris.
(d) No photos of Chris in the house.
9. Why did the Candless family not follow the route Chris had taken to get to the bus as Billie wanted?
(a) The river had changed course and Chris's route was no longer possible.
(b) The Teklanika River was running too high, and the group was advised not to attempt it.
(c) They did not have good directions from Chris's journal.
(d) There was no time to take that route as Chris had done.
10. How was Westerberg able to help the police?
(a) He had a photo of Chris's yellow Datsun with the license plate showing.
(b) He had Chris's fingerprints on file.
(c) He had Chris's Social Security number on file.
(d) He told them Chris graduated from Emory University.
11. What spurred Krakauer on after his failed attempt to climb Devil's Thumb?
(a) His mood after he naps.
(b) The fact that he has enough food to try again.
(c) The prospect of defeat.
(d) A spider that keeps working after its web breaks.
12. A year after Chris's death, what did Krakauer observe on the banks of the Teklanika River where Chris had been unable to cross?
(a) There are dangerous rocks just under the surface of the water.
(b) The ice was breaking up and the footing was dangerous.
(c) The river was overflowing its banks.
(d) The river is indeed a wide, churning flow of water.
13. Why does Krakauer relate his own experiences in Chapter 14?
(a) To show how he was so much better than Chris.
(b) To prove that he had no right to write about Chris.
(c) To see if he is any different now as a mature man.
(d) To show his affinity with Chris.
14. What two requests did Stuckey make of Alex as they parted company?
(a) Write him a letter when he returns and call his parents before he goes into the wilderness.
(b) Change his mind and go back to the Westerbergs.
(c) Wait until spring and work to get money for better boots.
(d) Send him photos of his adventure and notify the forrest service where he will be.
15. What important work does Walt McCandless do?
(b) Advanced radar technology.
(c) CIA undercover.
(d) Nuclear physicist.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Krakauer think Chris could not excrete poison from his body?
2. At the time of publication of the notice of Chris's death, what problem did the police have?
3. What does Krakauer think actually killed Chris?
4. What did Billie leave in the bus?
5. What emotional experience disturbed Chris while he is staying in the bus?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)