|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of business do Carine and her husband operate?
(a) An electronics shop.
(b) A publishing company.
(c) A daycare for the elderly.
(d) An auto repair business.
2. What gift did Walt give Billie after the birth of Chris?
(a) A 3-carat diamond ring.
(b) A vacation in Paris.
(c) A leather bound copy of Leaves of Grass.
(d) The Gianni guitar that was left in the yellow Datson.
3. What evidence does Krakauer find that suggests Chris was ready to re-enter society?
(a) The graffiti Chris drew on the bus indicated he wanted to see people again.
(b) Doctor Zhivago, a book Chris was reading, includes that genuine happiness must be shared with one's fellow human beings and Chris had made a note beside that passage.
(c) Chris's journal indicated that he was beginning to doubt Thoreau.
(d) Chris had written down the names and addresses of everyone who had helped him so he could visit them again.
4. At the time of publication of the notice of Chris's death, what problem did the police have?
(a) They did not have forensic labs in that part of Alaska.
(b) They had beed unable to get the body out.
(c) They had no response from the public about the body.
(d) They had been unable to identify him.
5. How does Krakauer interpret the evidence he gathered about Chris?
(a) He sees Chris as a hopeles greenhorn without any knowledge of the terrain.
(b) He believes that Chris immersed himself in nature in an effort to isolate himself from human society.
(c) He suggests that someone else was in the bus and refused to help Chris.
(d) He thinks that Chris was completely irrational and contributed to his own death.
6. What did Billie leave in the bus?
(a) Three heavy blankets.
(b) A suitcase filled with emergency food supplies.
(c) A down coat and some matches.
(d) A set of steel plates and cups.
7. What two requests did Stuckey make of Alex as they parted company?
(a) Write him a letter when he returns and call his parents before he goes into the wilderness.
(b) Send him photos of his adventure and notify the forrest service where he will be.
(c) Wait until spring and work to get money for better boots.
(d) Change his mind and go back to the Westerbergs.
8. What daunting challenge did Krakauer set for himself as a young man?
(a) To prove that he is always right.
(b) To find out how much terror he can stand.
(c) To scale a mountain called the Devils Thumb alone.
(d) To ski down Mt. McKinley.
9. What is significant about August 5?
(a) It was Chris's birthday.
(b) It was the day the moose hunters found his body.
(c) It was the day he killed the caribou.
(d) It was Chris's 100th day in the wilderness.
10. Racing against a storm, Krakauer reaches the summit of the Thumb. How does he describe it?
(a) He describes it as breathtakingly beautiful.
(b) He describes the summit as malevolent and surreal.
(c) He describes it as the coldest place on earth.
(d) He describes it as a big disappointment.
11. Why did Chris write in his journal that he had found the Magic Bus?
(a) Because it was stocked with wilderness essentials by the hunters who use it during moose season.
(b) Because it reminded him of a magic flying machine.
(c) Because it popped up out of nowhere.
(d) Because it saved him from having to pitch his tent.
12. Why did the Candless family not follow the route Chris had taken to get to the bus as Billie wanted?
(a) The Teklanika River was running too high, and the group was advised not to attempt it.
(b) There was no time to take that route as Chris had done.
(c) The river had changed course and Chris's route was no longer possible.
(d) They did not have good directions from Chris's journal.
13. What connection did Jim Gallien make when he read the article about Chris's death?
(a) The empty bag of rice the article said the police found in the bus reminded him of the hitchhiker he'd picked up.
(b) Chris was the young hitchhiker he had given a ride to the Stampede Trail.
(c) The rubber boots the news article mentioned were the ones he'd given Chris.
(d) The .22-caliber rifle they found in the bus was the same as the hitchhiker's he'd given a ride to.
14. What information does Gallien provide the police?
(a) That Alex's real name was Chris McCandless.
(b) That Alex was coughing bad when he dropped him off.
(c) That Alex had mentioned a friend named Ron in California.
(d) That the young man had called himself Alex and had come from South Dakota.
15. Two decades later, what has Krakauer learned about his relationship with his father?
(a) Krakauer learned that he had been right to defy his father.
(b) Krakauer learned that he had improved himself by not becoming like his father.
(c) Krakauer learned that his father was always shallow and always would be.
(d) Krakauer realizes he was selfish, stubborn, and as difficult for his father to deal with as his father's behavior had been for him.
Short Answer Questions
1. August 12, Chris left the bus to forage for berries. What did the note he left on the door say?
2. What affected the eating habits of Chris's family?
3. When Krakauer reached an impassable place on the mountain, what did he do?
4. Why does Krakauer think Chris could not excrete poison from his body?
5. What is so poignant about the final photograph Chris took of himself holding his good-bye note?
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)