|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A year after Chris's death, what did Krakauer observe on the banks of the Teklanika River where Chris had been unable to cross?
(a) The ice was breaking up and the footing was dangerous.
(b) The river was overflowing its banks.
(c) There are dangerous rocks just under the surface of the water.
(d) The river is indeed a wide, churning flow of water.
2. Chris's parents had moved, but his step brother was contacted. After he positively identified Chris, what did he do?
(a) Contacted Gillien to get more information.
(b) Told his wife that he always knew Chris would end that way.
(c) Drove to Maryland to inform Chris's parents.
(d) Flew to Alaska to claim the body.
3. In light of his own experiences, what does Krakauer think of Chris's tactics?
(a) More young people should do what chris did.
(b) They are understandable but not justifiable.
(c) Except for a bit of bad luck, Chris was right to do what he did.
(d) They are exemplary.
4. What gift did Walt give Billie after the birth of Chris?
(a) A leather bound copy of Leaves of Grass.
(b) A vacation in Paris.
(c) The Gianni guitar that was left in the yellow Datson.
(d) A 3-carat diamond ring.
5. What does Carine recall that Chris loved so much?
(a) The Gianni guitar.
(b) Her dog, Buck.
(c) Reading Moby Dick.
(d) His yellow Datsun.
6. At the time of publication of the notice of Chris's death, what problem did the police have?
(a) They had been unable to identify him.
(b) They had no response from the public about the body.
(c) They did not have forensic labs in that part of Alaska.
(d) They had beed unable to get the body out.
7. How does Krakauer interpret the evidence he gathered about Chris?
(a) He suggests that someone else was in the bus and refused to help Chris.
(b) He sees Chris as a hopeles greenhorn without any knowledge of the terrain.
(c) He believes that Chris immersed himself in nature in an effort to isolate himself from human society.
(d) He thinks that Chris was completely irrational and contributed to his own death.
8. What did Chris do the summer after his sophomore year in college?
(a) He worked in a garage to make money to buy his Datsun.
(b) He took a cross country hike.
(c) He spent the entire summer with his sister, Carine.
(d) He returned to Annandale and wrote a flawless software program.
9. What information does Gallien provide the police?
(a) That Alex was coughing bad when he dropped him off.
(b) That Alex's real name was Chris McCandless.
(c) That Alex had mentioned a friend named Ron in California.
(d) That the young man had called himself Alex and had come from South Dakota.
10. What trait did sports reveal in Chris?
(a) He was lazy about training.
(b) He was not interested in competition.
(c) He wanted other people to win.
(d) He did not take defeat well.
11. Where did Chris leave from on April 15, 1992 on his journey to Alaska?
(b) Los angeles.
12. What happened to Billie in July of 1992?
(a) She was diagnosed with cancer.
(b) She had a dibilitating auto accident.
(c) She had a nervous breakdown.
(d) She had a vivid dream of Chris calling her for help.
13. What did Krakauer do similar to what Chris did when he needed to go to the village of Petersberg?
(a) He bought a big bag of rice.
(b) He burned his money.
(c) He sent postcards to friends.
(d) He abandoned his car.
14. What is so poignant about the final photograph Chris took of himself holding his good-bye note?
(a) The end of his good-bye note says he will see everyone in a month.
(b) It is blurry because he was too weak to hold the camera steady.
(c) His emaciated frame contrasts with the smile on his face.
(d) He doesn't realize that he is holding the note upside down.
15. When Krakauer was at the mountain he came to climb, what enhanced his emotions?
(a) The clean air which gave him an oxygen high.
(b) The beauty of the snowy terrain and clear sky was intensified for him by his solitude.
(c) Two sturdy aluminum curtain rods with him, lashed in a cross shape, to prevent him from falling into a crevasse.
(d) The cheers of the people who came to see him off.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two requests did Stuckey make of Alex as they parted company?
2. What similarity is there between Jon's relationship with his father and Chris's relationship with Walt?
3. When did Jon Krakauer interview Walt McCandless?
4. What did the bones outside the bus reveal?
5. What important work does Walt McCandless do?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)