|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What daunting challenge did Krakauer set for himself as a young man?
(a) To scale a mountain called the Devils Thumb alone.
(b) To prove that he is always right.
(c) To find out how much terror he can stand.
(d) To ski down Mt. McKinley.
2. What is prominently displayed in Carine McCandless's home?
(a) A scrapbook of news clippings about Chris.
(b) A painting she did of her brother, Chris.
(c) All of Chris's track trophies.
(d) Two photographs of her brother, Chris.
3. Why did Chris write in his journal that he had found the Magic Bus?
(a) Because it popped up out of nowhere.
(b) Because it saved him from having to pitch his tent.
(c) Because it reminded him of a magic flying machine.
(d) Because it was stocked with wilderness essentials by the hunters who use it during moose season.
4. Chris's parents had moved, but his step brother was contacted. After he positively identified Chris, what did he do?
(a) Flew to Alaska to claim the body.
(b) Contacted Gillien to get more information.
(c) Told his wife that he always knew Chris would end that way.
(d) Drove to Maryland to inform Chris's parents.
5. How is Carine different from Chris?
(a) She always returns home when she disappears.
(b) She is interested in helping the homeless.
(c) She is a good cook.
(d) She made peace with their parents.
6. What did Billie leave in the bus?
(a) A suitcase filled with emergency food supplies.
(b) Three heavy blankets.
(c) A set of steel plates and cups.
(d) A down coat and some matches.
7. Racing against a storm, Krakauer reaches the summit of the Thumb. How does he describe it?
(a) He describes it as the coldest place on earth.
(b) He describes the summit as malevolent and surreal.
(c) He describes it as a big disappointment.
(d) He describes it as breathtakingly beautiful.
8. What did Billie find in the bus?
(a) A coffee mug with the family monogram on it.
(b) Photos of her and Walt.
(c) One of Buck's dog collars.
(d) A spoon from an old family silverware set.
9. When Krakauer was at the mountain he came to climb, what enhanced his emotions?
(a) The beauty of the snowy terrain and clear sky was intensified for him by his solitude.
(b) Two sturdy aluminum curtain rods with him, lashed in a cross shape, to prevent him from falling into a crevasse.
(c) The cheers of the people who came to see him off.
(d) The clean air which gave him an oxygen high.
10. What did Chris do the summer after his sophomore year in college?
(a) He spent the entire summer with his sister, Carine.
(b) He took a cross country hike.
(c) He worked in a garage to make money to buy his Datsun.
(d) He returned to Annandale and wrote a flawless software program.
11. What does Krakauer think actually killed Chris?
(a) The wild potato seeds he was eating.
(b) Poisonous leaves he was reduced to eating.
(c) Tainted canned goods he found in the bus.
(d) Choking on rabbit bones.
12. What shows Chris's attitude toward injustices that began when he was in college?
(a) He took classes about world hunger, poverty, wealth distribution and racism.
(b) He began bringing homeless people to his dorm room.
(c) He refused a new car because there were so many people who did not have one.
(d) He started a soup kitchen in Annandale.
13. How far did Chris travel on the Stampede Trail before he located the abandoned bus?
(a) Forty miles.
(b) A mile and a half.
(c) Twenty miles.
(d) Ten miles.
14. What information does Gallien provide the police?
(a) That Alex's real name was Chris McCandless.
(b) That Alex had mentioned a friend named Ron in California.
(c) That the young man had called himself Alex and had come from South Dakota.
(d) That Alex was coughing bad when he dropped him off.
15. After Chris left home, why didnn't Carine get upset when he won't tell her where he was?
(a) She didn't want to know because she didn't care.
(b) She thought their father would try to bring him home if he knew.
(c) She was glad he was gone so she could have his room.
(d) She knew Chris was happy and thought he would come home some day.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened 10 months after Chris's death?
2. What similarity is there between Jon's relationship with his father and Chris's relationship with Walt?
3. What sad discovery does Krakauer make just a quarter mile down stream on the river?
4. What was the skeleton in Walt's closet that stressed the whole family, Chris in particular?
5. Where did Chris leave from on April 15, 1992 on his journey to Alaska?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)