|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A year after Chris's death, what did Krakauer observe on the banks of the Teklanika River where Chris had been unable to cross?
(a) There are dangerous rocks just under the surface of the water.
(b) The ice was breaking up and the footing was dangerous.
(c) The river is indeed a wide, churning flow of water.
(d) The river was overflowing its banks.
2. When Krakauer reached an impassable place on the mountain, what did he do?
(a) He started traveling horizontally on the mountain.
(b) He radioed for help.
(c) There was nothing to do but descend.
(d) He sat down and cried.
3. Why does Krakauer think Chris could not excrete poison from his body?
(a) Melted snow water caused him to become severely constipated.
(b) He did not have enough white blood cells to fight organisms.
(c) His bowel and urinary sustems had shut down.
(d) His deteriorated body did not have enough glucose and amino acids to bind with the poisons.
4. Chris's parents had moved, but his step brother was contacted. After he positively identified Chris, what did he do?
(a) Drove to Maryland to inform Chris's parents.
(b) Told his wife that he always knew Chris would end that way.
(c) Flew to Alaska to claim the body.
(d) Contacted Gillien to get more information.
5. What gift did Walt give Billie after the birth of Chris?
(a) A leather bound copy of Leaves of Grass.
(b) A vacation in Paris.
(c) A 3-carat diamond ring.
(d) The Gianni guitar that was left in the yellow Datson.
6. What happened 10 months after Chris's death?
(a) Carine had a dream about Chris.
(b) Billie and Walt got a divorce.
(c) Ten months after McCandless's death, Krakauer, Billie and Walt took a helicopter to the bus site.
(d) The company that owns the bus took it away.
7. How does Krakauer interpret the evidence he gathered about Chris?
(a) He sees Chris as a hopeles greenhorn without any knowledge of the terrain.
(b) He suggests that someone else was in the bus and refused to help Chris.
(c) He believes that Chris immersed himself in nature in an effort to isolate himself from human society.
(d) He thinks that Chris was completely irrational and contributed to his own death.
8. After Chris left home, why didnn't Carine get upset when he won't tell her where he was?
(a) She thought their father would try to bring him home if he knew.
(b) She was glad he was gone so she could have his room.
(c) She knew Chris was happy and thought he would come home some day.
(d) She didn't want to know because she didn't care.
9. When Krakauer was at the mountain he came to climb, what enhanced his emotions?
(a) The cheers of the people who came to see him off.
(b) The beauty of the snowy terrain and clear sky was intensified for him by his solitude.
(c) Two sturdy aluminum curtain rods with him, lashed in a cross shape, to prevent him from falling into a crevasse.
(d) The clean air which gave him an oxygen high.
10. Where did Chris leave from on April 15, 1992 on his journey to Alaska?
(d) Los angeles.
11. What trait did sports reveal in Chris?
(a) He was not interested in competition.
(b) He was lazy about training.
(c) He wanted other people to win.
(d) He did not take defeat well.
12. What characteristic of his father's does Krakauer mention as a flaw?
(a) That his father was too kind to everyone.
(b) That his father could never admit to being wrong.
(c) That his father worked too many jobs.
(d) That his father never climbed a mountain.
13. Who gave Krakauer dinner and a place to sleep in Petersberg?
(a) A drifter named Jan Buress.
(b) The captain of a tuna fishing boat.
(c) A policeman offered him a jail cell.
(d) A kind woman named Kai Sandburn.
14. At the time of publication of the notice of Chris's death, what problem did the police have?
(a) They had no response from the public about the body.
(b) They had beed unable to get the body out.
(c) They did not have forensic labs in that part of Alaska.
(d) They had been unable to identify him.
15. What did Billie find in the bus?
(a) A spoon from an old family silverware set.
(b) Photos of her and Walt.
(c) One of Buck's dog collars.
(d) A coffee mug with the family monogram on it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the bones outside the bus reveal?
2. What is significant about the cloth belt Krakauer founds in the bus?
3. What did Billie realize as she get to the bus?
4. What did Krakauer do similar to what Chris did when he needed to go to the village of Petersberg?
5. Two decades later, what has Krakauer learned about his relationship with his father?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)