|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is so poignant about the final photograph Chris took of himself holding his good-bye note?
(a) The end of his good-bye note says he will see everyone in a month.
(b) It is blurry because he was too weak to hold the camera steady.
(c) His emaciated frame contrasts with the smile on his face.
(d) He doesn't realize that he is holding the note upside down.
2. What evidence does Krakauer find that suggests Chris was ready to re-enter society?
(a) Chris's journal indicated that he was beginning to doubt Thoreau.
(b) The graffiti Chris drew on the bus indicated he wanted to see people again.
(c) Chris had written down the names and addresses of everyone who had helped him so he could visit them again.
(d) Doctor Zhivago, a book Chris was reading, includes that genuine happiness must be shared with one's fellow human beings and Chris had made a note beside that passage.
3. What spurred Krakauer on after his failed attempt to climb Devil's Thumb?
(a) A spider that keeps working after its web breaks.
(b) The prospect of defeat.
(c) His mood after he naps.
(d) The fact that he has enough food to try again.
4. What was in the McCandless house that speaks to the feelings of Walt and Billie McCandless toward Chris?
(a) Clippings of newspaper articles and magazine stories about Chris.
(b) No photos of Chris in the house.
(c) A photo memorial to Chris on the dining room table.
(d) All of Chris's track trophies lined up on the mantle.
5. When Krakauer reached an impassable place on the mountain, what did he do?
(a) He started traveling horizontally on the mountain.
(b) He sat down and cried.
(c) He radioed for help.
(d) There was nothing to do but descend.
6. What kind of business do Carine and her husband operate?
(a) A daycare for the elderly.
(b) An electronics shop.
(c) An auto repair business.
(d) A publishing company.
7. Two decades later, what has Krakauer learned about his relationship with his father?
(a) Krakauer learned that he had improved himself by not becoming like his father.
(b) Krakauer learned that his father was always shallow and always would be.
(c) Krakauer realizes he was selfish, stubborn, and as difficult for his father to deal with as his father's behavior had been for him.
(d) Krakauer learned that he had been right to defy his father.
8. What ambitions did Jon Krakauer's father have for all of his children?
(a) That they would excell in sports.
(b) That they would all enter the family business.
(c) That they would attend Ivy League schools.
(d) That they would leave home and be on their own after high school.
9. How did Chris travel the 1,000 miles from Laird, Alaska, to Fairbanks?
(a) He walked most of the way.
(b) Jim Gallien gave him a lift.
(c) A truck driver named Gaylord Stuckey picked him up.
(d) Hitchhiking, he got a series of rides.
10. How does Krakauer interpret the evidence he gathered about Chris?
(a) He believes that Chris immersed himself in nature in an effort to isolate himself from human society.
(b) He thinks that Chris was completely irrational and contributed to his own death.
(c) He sees Chris as a hopeles greenhorn without any knowledge of the terrain.
(d) He suggests that someone else was in the bus and refused to help Chris.
11. What characteristic of his father's does Krakauer mention as a flaw?
(a) That his father could never admit to being wrong.
(b) That his father was too kind to everyone.
(c) That his father worked too many jobs.
(d) That his father never climbed a mountain.
12. What family outings did the McCandless family mention to Krakauer?
(a) A beach house in Cape Cod.
(b) Camping trips with an Airstream Trailer.
(c) Going to the Grand Canyon every year.
(d) A yearly trip to Texas.
13. What does Carine recall that Chris loved so much?
(a) His yellow Datsun.
(b) Her dog, Buck.
(c) The Gianni guitar.
(d) Reading Moby Dick.
14. What did the bones outside the bus reveal?
(a) That the animal Chris killed had been eaten by vultures.
(b) That Chris had been unable to kill edible animals.
(c) What Chris thought was a moose was actually caribou.
(d) That the bus had been attacked by wolves.
15. What did Krakauer do similar to what Chris did when he needed to go to the village of Petersberg?
(a) He sent postcards to friends.
(b) He abandoned his car.
(c) He burned his money.
(d) He bought a big bag of rice.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Billie in July of 1992?
2. What similarity is there between Jon's relationship with his father and Chris's relationship with Walt?
3. How does Roman Dial, who teaches at the University of Alaska, interpret Chris's actions?
4. What did Billie leave in the bus?
5. What two requests did Stuckey make of Alex as they parted company?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)