|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Chris's parents had moved, but his step brother was contacted. After he positively identified Chris, what did he do?
(a) Told his wife that he always knew Chris would end that way.
(b) Contacted Gillien to get more information.
(c) Drove to Maryland to inform Chris's parents.
(d) Flew to Alaska to claim the body.
2. What was in the McCandless house that speaks to the feelings of Walt and Billie McCandless toward Chris?
(a) All of Chris's track trophies lined up on the mantle.
(b) No photos of Chris in the house.
(c) Clippings of newspaper articles and magazine stories about Chris.
(d) A photo memorial to Chris on the dining room table.
3. What did Krakauer do similar to what Chris did when he needed to go to the village of Petersberg?
(a) He sent postcards to friends.
(b) He abandoned his car.
(c) He burned his money.
(d) He bought a big bag of rice.
4. How did the police know Chris's real last name?
(a) From his virginia driver's license.
(b) From the note he had taped to the bus door.
(c) From his Social Security card they found in his wallet.
(d) From his journal.
5. In light of his own experiences, what does Krakauer think of Chris's tactics?
(a) They are exemplary.
(b) They are understandable but not justifiable.
(c) Except for a bit of bad luck, Chris was right to do what he did.
(d) More young people should do what chris did.
6. How far did Chris travel on the Stampede Trail before he located the abandoned bus?
(a) A mile and a half.
(b) Twenty miles.
(c) Forty miles.
(d) Ten miles.
7. What daunting challenge did Krakauer set for himself as a young man?
(a) To find out how much terror he can stand.
(b) To scale a mountain called the Devils Thumb alone.
(c) To prove that he is always right.
(d) To ski down Mt. McKinley.
8. Why did Chris write in his journal that he had found the Magic Bus?
(a) Because it reminded him of a magic flying machine.
(b) Because it saved him from having to pitch his tent.
(c) Because it popped up out of nowhere.
(d) Because it was stocked with wilderness essentials by the hunters who use it during moose season.
9. How was Westerberg able to help the police?
(a) He had Chris's fingerprints on file.
(b) He had Chris's Social Security number on file.
(c) He had a photo of Chris's yellow Datsun with the license plate showing.
(d) He told them Chris graduated from Emory University.
10. What emotional experience disturbed Chris while he is staying in the bus?
(a) Thinking about his sister.
(b) Watching an otter get captured by an eagle.
(c) Bad dreams that hinted of his death.
(d) Killing a moose and being unable to preserve the meat.
11. When Krakauer was at the mountain he came to climb, what enhanced his emotions?
(a) Two sturdy aluminum curtain rods with him, lashed in a cross shape, to prevent him from falling into a crevasse.
(b) The beauty of the snowy terrain and clear sky was intensified for him by his solitude.
(c) The clean air which gave him an oxygen high.
(d) The cheers of the people who came to see him off.
12. What trait did sports reveal in Chris?
(a) He wanted other people to win.
(b) He was not interested in competition.
(c) He was lazy about training.
(d) He did not take defeat well.
13. What sad discovery does Krakauer make just a quarter mile down stream on the river?
(a) There is an old bridge that a person could walk across.
(b) There is a ranger station stocked with all kinds of food.
(c) There is evidence that Chris came that far and went back.
(d) At the now defunct station, a steel cable stretches across the river with an aluminum basket suspended from this cable by pulleys.
14. What kind of business do Carine and her husband operate?
(a) An auto repair business.
(b) An electronics shop.
(c) A publishing company.
(d) A daycare for the elderly.
15. What spurred Krakauer on after his failed attempt to climb Devil's Thumb?
(a) The prospect of defeat.
(b) His mood after he naps.
(c) The fact that he has enough food to try again.
(d) A spider that keeps working after its web breaks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What family outings did the McCandless family mention to Krakauer?
2. What ambitions did Jon Krakauer's father have for all of his children?
3. What did Billie realize as she get to the bus?
4. What did Billie leave in the bus?
5. How does Krakauer interpret the evidence he gathered about Chris?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)