|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Krakauer was at the mountain he came to climb, what enhanced his emotions?
(a) The cheers of the people who came to see him off.
(b) The beauty of the snowy terrain and clear sky was intensified for him by his solitude.
(c) The clean air which gave him an oxygen high.
(d) Two sturdy aluminum curtain rods with him, lashed in a cross shape, to prevent him from falling into a crevasse.
2. When Krakauer reached an impassable place on the mountain, what did he do?
(a) He radioed for help.
(b) He started traveling horizontally on the mountain.
(c) He sat down and cried.
(d) There was nothing to do but descend.
3. What did Billie find in the bus?
(a) A coffee mug with the family monogram on it.
(b) One of Buck's dog collars.
(c) Photos of her and Walt.
(d) A spoon from an old family silverware set.
4. Why did the Candless family not follow the route Chris had taken to get to the bus as Billie wanted?
(a) They did not have good directions from Chris's journal.
(b) There was no time to take that route as Chris had done.
(c) The river had changed course and Chris's route was no longer possible.
(d) The Teklanika River was running too high, and the group was advised not to attempt it.
5. What is significant about the cloth belt Krakauer founds in the bus?
(a) Chris probably didn't want to ruin the leather belt he had made at Ron Franz's house.
(b) He seemd to have made it to tie up his paperback books.
(c) It must have been made when Chris got too thin for his jeans.
(d) Chris had made it to keep himself busy.
6. What is so poignant about the final photograph Chris took of himself holding his good-bye note?
(a) It is blurry because he was too weak to hold the camera steady.
(b) He doesn't realize that he is holding the note upside down.
(c) The end of his good-bye note says he will see everyone in a month.
(d) His emaciated frame contrasts with the smile on his face.
7. What similarity is there between Jon's relationship with his father and Chris's relationship with Walt?
(a) Both fathers were weak willed and seldom gave their children advice.
(b) Secrets were revealed and both young men resented the hypocracy.
(c) Both fathers were old and out of touch.
(d) Both fathers turned out to be bigamists.
8. What did Chris do the summer after his sophomore year in college?
(a) He took a cross country hike.
(b) He worked in a garage to make money to buy his Datsun.
(c) He spent the entire summer with his sister, Carine.
(d) He returned to Annandale and wrote a flawless software program.
9. What ambitions did Jon Krakauer's father have for all of his children?
(a) That they would all enter the family business.
(b) That they would excell in sports.
(c) That they would attend Ivy League schools.
(d) That they would leave home and be on their own after high school.
10. What happened 10 months after Chris's death?
(a) Billie and Walt got a divorce.
(b) Ten months after McCandless's death, Krakauer, Billie and Walt took a helicopter to the bus site.
(c) Carine had a dream about Chris.
(d) The company that owns the bus took it away.
11. In light of his own experiences, what does Krakauer think of Chris's tactics?
(a) More young people should do what chris did.
(b) They are exemplary.
(c) Except for a bit of bad luck, Chris was right to do what he did.
(d) They are understandable but not justifiable.
12. Chris's parents had moved, but his step brother was contacted. After he positively identified Chris, what did he do?
(a) Drove to Maryland to inform Chris's parents.
(b) Flew to Alaska to claim the body.
(c) Told his wife that he always knew Chris would end that way.
(d) Contacted Gillien to get more information.
13. Why does Krakauer think Chris could not excrete poison from his body?
(a) His deteriorated body did not have enough glucose and amino acids to bind with the poisons.
(b) He did not have enough white blood cells to fight organisms.
(c) Melted snow water caused him to become severely constipated.
(d) His bowel and urinary sustems had shut down.
14. How does Krakauer interpret the evidence he gathered about Chris?
(a) He believes that Chris immersed himself in nature in an effort to isolate himself from human society.
(b) He suggests that someone else was in the bus and refused to help Chris.
(c) He sees Chris as a hopeles greenhorn without any knowledge of the terrain.
(d) He thinks that Chris was completely irrational and contributed to his own death.
15. When did Jon Krakauer interview Walt McCandless?
(a) A year after Chris died.
(b) Never. He would not speak with Krakauer.
(c) Seven weeks after Chris's body was recovered.
(d) On what would have been Chris's birthday.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Carine different from Chris?
2. What characteristic of his father's does Krakauer mention as a flaw?
3. How does Roman Dial, who teaches at the University of Alaska, interpret Chris's actions?
4. What two requests did Stuckey make of Alex as they parted company?
5. What was the skeleton in Walt's closet that stressed the whole family, Chris in particular?
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)