|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Krakauer was at the mountain he came to climb, what enhanced his emotions?
(a) The cheers of the people who came to see him off.
(b) The beauty of the snowy terrain and clear sky was intensified for him by his solitude.
(c) Two sturdy aluminum curtain rods with him, lashed in a cross shape, to prevent him from falling into a crevasse.
(d) The clean air which gave him an oxygen high.
2. What daunting challenge did Krakauer set for himself as a young man?
(a) To find out how much terror he can stand.
(b) To prove that he is always right.
(c) To scale a mountain called the Devils Thumb alone.
(d) To ski down Mt. McKinley.
3. What did Billie realize as she get to the bus?
(a) Chris had found the farthest place he could to get away from them.
(b) The place looked like a frozen desert.
(c) The terraine looked like where she grew up and that Chris must have loved it.
(d) It was so isolated that no one could remain sane there.
4. How does Roman Dial, who teaches at the University of Alaska, interpret Chris's actions?
(a) He thinks the native Alaskans are right to condemn Chris.
(b) Roman thinks no one should ever attempt what Chris did.
(c) Roman admires McCandless's efforts but would not undertake them himself.
(d) He agrees that Chris was borderline neurotic.
5. What happened 10 months after Chris's death?
(a) Carine had a dream about Chris.
(b) The company that owns the bus took it away.
(c) Ten months after McCandless's death, Krakauer, Billie and Walt took a helicopter to the bus site.
(d) Billie and Walt got a divorce.
6. What trait did sports reveal in Chris?
(a) He wanted other people to win.
(b) He did not take defeat well.
(c) He was not interested in competition.
(d) He was lazy about training.
7. How far did Chris travel on the Stampede Trail before he located the abandoned bus?
(a) Ten miles.
(b) A mile and a half.
(c) Twenty miles.
(d) Forty miles.
8. Where did Chris leave from on April 15, 1992 on his journey to Alaska?
(d) Los angeles.
9. What gift did Walt give Billie after the birth of Chris?
(a) A leather bound copy of Leaves of Grass.
(b) The Gianni guitar that was left in the yellow Datson.
(c) A vacation in Paris.
(d) A 3-carat diamond ring.
10. What two requests did Stuckey make of Alex as they parted company?
(a) Send him photos of his adventure and notify the forrest service where he will be.
(b) Change his mind and go back to the Westerbergs.
(c) Write him a letter when he returns and call his parents before he goes into the wilderness.
(d) Wait until spring and work to get money for better boots.
11. What sad discovery does Krakauer make just a quarter mile down stream on the river?
(a) There is a ranger station stocked with all kinds of food.
(b) At the now defunct station, a steel cable stretches across the river with an aluminum basket suspended from this cable by pulleys.
(c) There is evidence that Chris came that far and went back.
(d) There is an old bridge that a person could walk across.
12. What does Krakauer think actually killed Chris?
(a) Poisonous leaves he was reduced to eating.
(b) Tainted canned goods he found in the bus.
(c) The wild potato seeds he was eating.
(d) Choking on rabbit bones.
13. What happened to Billie in July of 1992?
(a) She had a nervous breakdown.
(b) She was diagnosed with cancer.
(c) She had a dibilitating auto accident.
(d) She had a vivid dream of Chris calling her for help.
14. What was the skeleton in Walt's closet that stressed the whole family, Chris in particular?
(a) Walt had lived a bigamist life for some years after Chris was born.
(b) Walt kept a mistress after Chris went to college.
(c) Walt and Billie divorced but later remarried.
(d) Walt had affairs with several women.
15. How does Krakauer interpret the evidence he gathered about Chris?
(a) He believes that Chris immersed himself in nature in an effort to isolate himself from human society.
(b) He sees Chris as a hopeles greenhorn without any knowledge of the terrain.
(c) He suggests that someone else was in the bus and refused to help Chris.
(d) He thinks that Chris was completely irrational and contributed to his own death.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of business do Carine and her husband operate?
2. How did Chris travel the 1,000 miles from Laird, Alaska, to Fairbanks?
3. Why did the Candless family not follow the route Chris had taken to get to the bus as Billie wanted?
4. What similarity is there between Jon's relationship with his father and Chris's relationship with Walt?
5. What did Chris do the summer after his sophomore year in college?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)