|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to Billie in July of 1992?
(a) She had a vivid dream of Chris calling her for help.
(b) She had a dibilitating auto accident.
(c) She was diagnosed with cancer.
(d) She had a nervous breakdown.
2. When did Jon Krakauer interview Walt McCandless?
(a) Never. He would not speak with Krakauer.
(b) On what would have been Chris's birthday.
(c) Seven weeks after Chris's body was recovered.
(d) A year after Chris died.
3. What family outings did the McCandless family mention to Krakauer?
(a) Camping trips with an Airstream Trailer.
(b) Going to the Grand Canyon every year.
(c) A beach house in Cape Cod.
(d) A yearly trip to Texas.
4. What affected the eating habits of Chris's family?
(a) Thinking about how they found Chris's body.
(b) Not being able to eat rice.
(c) Thinking more about the homeless.
(d) Learning that he starved to death.
5. What characteristic of his father's does Krakauer mention as a flaw?
(a) That his father could never admit to being wrong.
(b) That his father worked too many jobs.
(c) That his father never climbed a mountain.
(d) That his father was too kind to everyone.
6. What does Krakauer think actually killed Chris?
(a) Choking on rabbit bones.
(b) Tainted canned goods he found in the bus.
(c) The wild potato seeds he was eating.
(d) Poisonous leaves he was reduced to eating.
7. Racing against a storm, Krakauer reaches the summit of the Thumb. How does he describe it?
(a) He describes it as the coldest place on earth.
(b) He describes it as a big disappointment.
(c) He describes it as breathtakingly beautiful.
(d) He describes the summit as malevolent and surreal.
8. Chris's parents had moved, but his step brother was contacted. After he positively identified Chris, what did he do?
(a) Drove to Maryland to inform Chris's parents.
(b) Told his wife that he always knew Chris would end that way.
(c) Flew to Alaska to claim the body.
(d) Contacted Gillien to get more information.
9. What connection did Jim Gallien make when he read the article about Chris's death?
(a) The empty bag of rice the article said the police found in the bus reminded him of the hitchhiker he'd picked up.
(b) Chris was the young hitchhiker he had given a ride to the Stampede Trail.
(c) The .22-caliber rifle they found in the bus was the same as the hitchhiker's he'd given a ride to.
(d) The rubber boots the news article mentioned were the ones he'd given Chris.
10. What was in the McCandless house that speaks to the feelings of Walt and Billie McCandless toward Chris?
(a) All of Chris's track trophies lined up on the mantle.
(b) A photo memorial to Chris on the dining room table.
(c) Clippings of newspaper articles and magazine stories about Chris.
(d) No photos of Chris in the house.
11. What kind of business do Carine and her husband operate?
(a) A daycare for the elderly.
(b) An auto repair business.
(c) An electronics shop.
(d) A publishing company.
12. What trait did sports reveal in Chris?
(a) He wanted other people to win.
(b) He was lazy about training.
(c) He was not interested in competition.
(d) He did not take defeat well.
13. What did Chris do the summer after his sophomore year in college?
(a) He returned to Annandale and wrote a flawless software program.
(b) He took a cross country hike.
(c) He spent the entire summer with his sister, Carine.
(d) He worked in a garage to make money to buy his Datsun.
14. How far did Chris travel on the Stampede Trail before he located the abandoned bus?
(a) Ten miles.
(b) Forty miles.
(c) Twenty miles.
(d) A mile and a half.
15. Where did Chris leave from on April 15, 1992 on his journey to Alaska?
(a) Los angeles.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Krakauer was at the mountain he came to climb, what enhanced his emotions?
2. What information does Gallien provide the police?
3. What does Carine recall that Chris loved so much?
4. What did the bones outside the bus reveal?
5. Who gave Krakauer dinner and a place to sleep in Petersberg?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)