|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gift did Walt give Billie after the birth of Chris?
(a) A 3-carat diamond ring.
(b) The Gianni guitar that was left in the yellow Datson.
(c) A vacation in Paris.
(d) A leather bound copy of Leaves of Grass.
2. What two requests did Stuckey make of Alex as they parted company?
(a) Wait until spring and work to get money for better boots.
(b) Change his mind and go back to the Westerbergs.
(c) Send him photos of his adventure and notify the forrest service where he will be.
(d) Write him a letter when he returns and call his parents before he goes into the wilderness.
3. Two decades later, what has Krakauer learned about his relationship with his father?
(a) Krakauer realizes he was selfish, stubborn, and as difficult for his father to deal with as his father's behavior had been for him.
(b) Krakauer learned that his father was always shallow and always would be.
(c) Krakauer learned that he had improved himself by not becoming like his father.
(d) Krakauer learned that he had been right to defy his father.
4. What did Billie find in the bus?
(a) A spoon from an old family silverware set.
(b) A coffee mug with the family monogram on it.
(c) One of Buck's dog collars.
(d) Photos of her and Walt.
5. What spurred Krakauer on after his failed attempt to climb Devil's Thumb?
(a) The fact that he has enough food to try again.
(b) His mood after he naps.
(c) A spider that keeps working after its web breaks.
(d) The prospect of defeat.
6. How did Chris travel the 1,000 miles from Laird, Alaska, to Fairbanks?
(a) He walked most of the way.
(b) Jim Gallien gave him a lift.
(c) A truck driver named Gaylord Stuckey picked him up.
(d) Hitchhiking, he got a series of rides.
7. Chris's parents had moved, but his step brother was contacted. After he positively identified Chris, what did he do?
(a) Told his wife that he always knew Chris would end that way.
(b) Contacted Gillien to get more information.
(c) Drove to Maryland to inform Chris's parents.
(d) Flew to Alaska to claim the body.
8. What important work does Walt McCandless do?
(a) CIA undercover.
(c) Advanced radar technology.
(d) Nuclear physicist.
9. Where did Chris leave from on April 15, 1992 on his journey to Alaska?
(d) Los angeles.
10. When did Jon Krakauer interview Walt McCandless?
(a) Seven weeks after Chris's body was recovered.
(b) Never. He would not speak with Krakauer.
(c) A year after Chris died.
(d) On what would have been Chris's birthday.
11. What was in the McCandless house that speaks to the feelings of Walt and Billie McCandless toward Chris?
(a) All of Chris's track trophies lined up on the mantle.
(b) No photos of Chris in the house.
(c) A photo memorial to Chris on the dining room table.
(d) Clippings of newspaper articles and magazine stories about Chris.
12. How does Roman Dial, who teaches at the University of Alaska, interpret Chris's actions?
(a) Roman thinks no one should ever attempt what Chris did.
(b) He agrees that Chris was borderline neurotic.
(c) He thinks the native Alaskans are right to condemn Chris.
(d) Roman admires McCandless's efforts but would not undertake them himself.
13. What affected the eating habits of Chris's family?
(a) Learning that he starved to death.
(b) Thinking about how they found Chris's body.
(c) Thinking more about the homeless.
(d) Not being able to eat rice.
14. Why does Krakauer think Chris could not excrete poison from his body?
(a) His deteriorated body did not have enough glucose and amino acids to bind with the poisons.
(b) He did not have enough white blood cells to fight organisms.
(c) His bowel and urinary sustems had shut down.
(d) Melted snow water caused him to become severely constipated.
15. What family outings did the McCandless family mention to Krakauer?
(a) Going to the Grand Canyon every year.
(b) A beach house in Cape Cod.
(c) Camping trips with an Airstream Trailer.
(d) A yearly trip to Texas.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Krakauer interpret the evidence he gathered about Chris?
2. What did Krakauer do similar to what Chris did when he needed to go to the village of Petersberg?
3. What does Carine recall that Chris loved so much?
4. At the time of publication of the notice of Chris's death, what problem did the police have?
5. August 12, Chris left the bus to forage for berries. What did the note he left on the door say?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)