|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of business do Carine and her husband operate?
(a) An electronics shop.
(b) A daycare for the elderly.
(c) An auto repair business.
(d) A publishing company.
2. What happened 10 months after Chris's death?
(a) Ten months after McCandless's death, Krakauer, Billie and Walt took a helicopter to the bus site.
(b) Billie and Walt got a divorce.
(c) Carine had a dream about Chris.
(d) The company that owns the bus took it away.
3. What did Chris do the summer after his sophomore year in college?
(a) He returned to Annandale and wrote a flawless software program.
(b) He took a cross country hike.
(c) He worked in a garage to make money to buy his Datsun.
(d) He spent the entire summer with his sister, Carine.
4. Who gave Krakauer dinner and a place to sleep in Petersberg?
(a) A drifter named Jan Buress.
(b) The captain of a tuna fishing boat.
(c) A policeman offered him a jail cell.
(d) A kind woman named Kai Sandburn.
5. A year after Chris's death, what did Krakauer observe on the banks of the Teklanika River where Chris had been unable to cross?
(a) There are dangerous rocks just under the surface of the water.
(b) The river was overflowing its banks.
(c) The river is indeed a wide, churning flow of water.
(d) The ice was breaking up and the footing was dangerous.
6. What important work does Walt McCandless do?
(a) Nuclear physicist.
(b) CIA undercover.
(d) Advanced radar technology.
7. Where did Chris leave from on April 15, 1992 on his journey to Alaska?
(b) Los angeles.
8. What is significant about August 5?
(a) It was the day he killed the caribou.
(b) It was Chris's birthday.
(c) It was the day the moose hunters found his body.
(d) It was Chris's 100th day in the wilderness.
9. What shows Chris's attitude toward injustices that began when he was in college?
(a) He began bringing homeless people to his dorm room.
(b) He refused a new car because there were so many people who did not have one.
(c) He took classes about world hunger, poverty, wealth distribution and racism.
(d) He started a soup kitchen in Annandale.
10. What daunting challenge did Krakauer set for himself as a young man?
(a) To find out how much terror he can stand.
(b) To prove that he is always right.
(c) To ski down Mt. McKinley.
(d) To scale a mountain called the Devils Thumb alone.
11. Chris's parents had moved, but his step brother was contacted. After he positively identified Chris, what did he do?
(a) Contacted Gillien to get more information.
(b) Flew to Alaska to claim the body.
(c) Told his wife that he always knew Chris would end that way.
(d) Drove to Maryland to inform Chris's parents.
12. How far did Chris travel on the Stampede Trail before he located the abandoned bus?
(a) Forty miles.
(b) Ten miles.
(c) Twenty miles.
(d) A mile and a half.
13. What information does Gallien provide the police?
(a) That Alex's real name was Chris McCandless.
(b) That Alex had mentioned a friend named Ron in California.
(c) That Alex was coughing bad when he dropped him off.
(d) That the young man had called himself Alex and had come from South Dakota.
14. What characteristic of his father's does Krakauer mention as a flaw?
(a) That his father was too kind to everyone.
(b) That his father worked too many jobs.
(c) That his father never climbed a mountain.
(d) That his father could never admit to being wrong.
15. How does Roman Dial, who teaches at the University of Alaska, interpret Chris's actions?
(a) Roman thinks no one should ever attempt what Chris did.
(b) Roman admires McCandless's efforts but would not undertake them himself.
(c) He thinks the native Alaskans are right to condemn Chris.
(d) He agrees that Chris was borderline neurotic.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Chris write in his journal that he had found the Magic Bus?
2. After Chris left home, why didnn't Carine get upset when he won't tell her where he was?
3. How did Chris travel the 1,000 miles from Laird, Alaska, to Fairbanks?
4. What did the bones outside the bus reveal?
5. What was the skeleton in Walt's closet that stressed the whole family, Chris in particular?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)