|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What important work does Walt McCandless do?
(a) Nuclear physicist.
(b) Advanced radar technology.
(d) CIA undercover.
2. How did Chris travel the 1,000 miles from Laird, Alaska, to Fairbanks?
(a) A truck driver named Gaylord Stuckey picked him up.
(b) Jim Gallien gave him a lift.
(c) He walked most of the way.
(d) Hitchhiking, he got a series of rides.
3. What is significant about August 5?
(a) It was Chris's birthday.
(b) It was the day he killed the caribou.
(c) It was the day the moose hunters found his body.
(d) It was Chris's 100th day in the wilderness.
4. What was the tender moment between Chris and his father right after Chris graduated from high school?
(a) He gave his father an expensive telescope and told him how much he appreciated him.
(b) He let his father ready his personal journal.
(c) He asked his father's advice about choosing a college.
(d) He spent that summer doing things with his father.
5. August 12, Chris left the bus to forage for berries. What did the note he left on the door say?
(a) "Gone fishing, be back in one hour."
(b) "There is stew on the stove, go in and help yourself."
(c) It was a desperate plea for assistance signed with his real name.
(d) "If I do not return, look for me north of the bus."
6. What trait did sports reveal in Chris?
(a) He was not interested in competition.
(b) He was lazy about training.
(c) He did not take defeat well.
(d) He wanted other people to win.
7. What did Walt leave in the bus?
(a) A book about edible plants in the area.
(b) A memorial plaque.
(c) A flashlight and some batteries.
(d) An emergency radio operated by a hand crank.
8. What does Krakauer think actually killed Chris?
(a) Tainted canned goods he found in the bus.
(b) Choking on rabbit bones.
(c) Poisonous leaves he was reduced to eating.
(d) The wild potato seeds he was eating.
9. What happened 10 months after Chris's death?
(a) Ten months after McCandless's death, Krakauer, Billie and Walt took a helicopter to the bus site.
(b) Carine had a dream about Chris.
(c) Billie and Walt got a divorce.
(d) The company that owns the bus took it away.
10. In light of his own experiences, what does Krakauer think of Chris's tactics?
(a) Except for a bit of bad luck, Chris was right to do what he did.
(b) They are understandable but not justifiable.
(c) More young people should do what chris did.
(d) They are exemplary.
11. What does Carine recall that Chris loved so much?
(a) Her dog, Buck.
(b) The Gianni guitar.
(c) His yellow Datsun.
(d) Reading Moby Dick.
12. A year after Chris's death, what did Krakauer observe on the banks of the Teklanika River where Chris had been unable to cross?
(a) The river was overflowing its banks.
(b) The river is indeed a wide, churning flow of water.
(c) There are dangerous rocks just under the surface of the water.
(d) The ice was breaking up and the footing was dangerous.
13. What emotional experience disturbed Chris while he is staying in the bus?
(a) Killing a moose and being unable to preserve the meat.
(b) Watching an otter get captured by an eagle.
(c) Thinking about his sister.
(d) Bad dreams that hinted of his death.
14. What is significant about the cloth belt Krakauer founds in the bus?
(a) It must have been made when Chris got too thin for his jeans.
(b) Chris probably didn't want to ruin the leather belt he had made at Ron Franz's house.
(c) He seemd to have made it to tie up his paperback books.
(d) Chris had made it to keep himself busy.
15. What gift did Walt give Billie after the birth of Chris?
(a) The Gianni guitar that was left in the yellow Datson.
(b) A 3-carat diamond ring.
(c) A vacation in Paris.
(d) A leather bound copy of Leaves of Grass.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two requests did Stuckey make of Alex as they parted company?
2. What did the bones outside the bus reveal?
3. What did Krakauer do similar to what Chris did when he needed to go to the village of Petersberg?
4. What is prominently displayed in Carine McCandless's home?
5. What was in the McCandless house that speaks to the feelings of Walt and Billie McCandless toward Chris?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)