|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What complication did Chris face while living in The Slabs?
(a) He could produce no identification when the border patrol came to the camp.
(b) The other drifters believed he was an undercover cop.
(c) Tracy, a 17-year-old girl developed a huge crush on him.
(d) He got into an argument with Jan Burres.
2. What appears to be Krakauer's main motive in writing Into The Wild?
(a) To win a Pulitzer Prize.
(b) To sell it to the movies.
(c) To justify his own youth.
(d) To defend Chris McCandless from his critics.
3. Why did Christ steal a bicycle in Northern California?
(a) He was delirious at the time and did not know what he was doing.
(b) He had always wanted a bike like that.
(c) He intended to return and pay for it.
(d) The man he worked for refused to pay him.
4. Where had Chris McCandless attended school and graduated with honors?
(a) The University of Virginia.
(b) Emory University.
(c) Yale University.
(d) Harvard University.
5. What is Davis Gulch?
(a) A cattle passage through western Utah.
(b) A valley that has only one way in and out.
(c) An extension of the Grand Canyon.
(d) A watery oasis in the midst of southern Utah.
6. What did Gail believe about Chris's past life?
(a) That he was terribly deprived and abused.
(b) That he had imagined all his problems with his family.
(c) That he was extremely immature and was only being rebellious.
(d) That his real problem was something that happened between him and his father.
7. What prevented Jan and Bob from going to Bullhead City to pick Chris up?
(a) A series of freak desert storms.
(b) Their mobile home broke down.
(c) He arrived at their door before they could leave.
(d) Information that they were wanted by the police.
8. What problem did the authorities have after removing Chris's body?
(a) Identifying him.
(b) Getting the body to Fairbanks.
(c) Keeping the body frozen.
(d) Finding enough tissue to autopsy.
9. What did Chris do after Westerberg was jailed?
(a) He hitchhiked to Needles, California, then walked through the desert to Topock, Arizona.
(b) He headed north to Alaska.
(c) He stayed with Westerberg's family until he got out.
(d) He kept himself hidden because the police might have been looking for him.
10. In what way did Chris exhibit a double standard about money?
(a) He refused to take money for the work he did, but accepted goods that probably cost as much.
(b) He refused to let Jan drive him to pick up his last check at McDonald's.
(c) He borrowed money that he knew he could never repay.
(d) He now wanted to collect all the money he could to outfit himself for Alaska.
11. What news seriously alarmed Jan Burres?
(a) That Alex might be a serial killer.
(b) That Alex was wanted by the Nevada police.
(c) That Alex had burned the last of his money when he abandoned his car.
(d) That Alex never intended to see any of his family again.
12. What surprising thing about Chris does Westerberg remember about him?
(a) That he secretly had a sexual fantasy about his sister.
(b) That he knew what he was doing was unfair to his parents.
(c) That he would eventually end up in a monastery in Tibet.
(d) That he had expressed a desire to marry and have a family some day.
13. What did Chris make at Franz's house?
(a) A leather belt that depicted all his travels to date.
(b) A wallet to give to Franz.
(c) A new leather backpack.
(d) A pair of moccasins.
14. Where did Alex stay outside of Salton City?
(a) Palm Springs.
(b) Joshua Tree National Park.
(c) Anza-Borrego Desert State Park.
(d) Right at Oh-My-God Hot Springs.
15. What is ironic about Krakauer's descriptions of Walt McCandless and that of his rebellious son, Chris?
(a) Walt and Chris believe in the same socialistic things.
(b) Walt had always been kind and generous but Chris had always been aloof.
(c) Krakauer describes Chris and Walt McCandless as being very similar, both stubborn and temperamental individuals.
(d) Chris was a carbon copy of his father when he was that age.
Short Answer Questions
1. At which stop did Chris remain for the longest time?
2. After dropping Chris off, why did Gallien decide not to notify the authorities?
3. Why does Krakauer include a narrative about moose hunters driving off-road trucks to get to the site Chris eventually found?
4. How do Waterman and Chris differ?
5. In what area do people who knew Chris agree that he was inexperienced?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)