|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In October of 1990, National Park Ranger, what did Bud Walsh discover?
(a) Chris's old yellow Datsun that had been abandoned.
(b) Evidence of a camp in a restricted area.
(c) A rifle that had been buried.
(d) A backpack with $123 stuffed inside it.
2. Who did Chris meet on a trip into Salton City to get some supplies?
(a) Ron Franz, an 80-year-old man.
(b) A waitress at the small cafe.
(c) A drifter he knew at The Slab.
(d) Westerberg, who is looking for work.
3. During an interview with Krakauer, what does Westerberg say about Chris?
(a) That he seldom told the truth.
(b) That he lacked common sense.
(c) That he had an admirable spirit of adventure.
(d) That he was an expert mechanic.
4. Why is the Stampede Trail still in use?
(a) In the early 1960s, the trail was upgraded by Yutan Construction to an actual roadway.
(b) It runs along side of the Alaska Pipeline.
(c) Campers and hunters keep using it instead of making a new one.
(d) People use it to hike to Mt. McKinley.
5. What news seriously alarmed Jan Burres?
(a) That Alex was wanted by the Nevada police.
(b) That Alex had burned the last of his money when he abandoned his car.
(c) That Alex might be a serial killer.
(d) That Alex never intended to see any of his family again.
6. Where did Alex stay outside of Salton City?
(a) Right at Oh-My-God Hot Springs.
(b) Anza-Borrego Desert State Park.
(c) Palm Springs.
(d) Joshua Tree National Park.
7. What parallel does Krakauer draw between Chris and Carl McCunn?
(a) Both Chris and McCunn were gainfully employed when they went on their fatal trips.
(b) Like Chris, McCunn ruined his camera in the Alaskan wilderness.
(c) McCunn died in the Alaskan wilderness because of an oversight just as Chris did.
(d) Both of them were serious dropouts from society.
8. What type of people did Ruess like to spend time with?
(a) Hikers and rafters.
(b) Native Americans and Russians.
(c) Photographers and painters.
(d) Vagabonds and drifters.
9. How do Waterman and Chris differ?
(a) Chris was able to make friends, Waterman was socially awkward.
(b) Chis was short and Waterman was very tall.
(c) Chris was afraid of the water and Waterman feared heights.
(d) Chris burned his money, but Waterman always had money with him.
10. In Chris's relationships with people, what is the most striking contradiction?
(a) His love for his family but his inability to show it.
(b) His hurtfulness toward his family and his refusal to help anyone else.
(c) His ambivalence to his family and his hatred of the people he met.
(d) His coldness toward his parents and his warmth with people he met in his travels.
11. What steps did Walt and Billie take to find Chris?
(a) They got the police to put out an APB on Chris.
(b) They took a trip to Eureka, California.
(c) They went on TV begging Chris to come home.
(d) They hired a private investigator.
12. What did Gallien think about Chris's weapon?
(a) It was difficult to carry.
(b) It was badly in need of cleaning.
(c) It was too small to be effective against large animals.
(d) It had no case to put it in for protection from the weather.
13. After dropping Chris off, why did Gallien decide not to notify the authorities?
(a) He promised he would not do that.
(b) He decided Chris would give up on his foolish plan soon enough.
(c) It slipped his mind after he got back to town.
(d) He planned to return to check up on Chris.
14. What feat did Waterman achieve in 1978?
(a) He jumped out of a plane and parachuetted to the top of Mt. Hunter.
(b) He swam the English Channel in record time.
(c) He walked from Washington, D. C. to San Francisco.
(d) He climbed Mt. Hunter's southeast spur on his own.
15. On his last trip to Carthage, who is the woman Chris became close with?
(a) Westerberg's daughter, AnneW.
(b) Westerberg's mother, Alice.
(c) Westerberg's girlfriend, Gail Borah.
(d) Westerberg's cook, Francine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event happened in April 1992 that prompted the writing of Into The Wild?
2. What message did Chris leave taped to the door of the bus?
3. What do some people think about Chris McCandless?
4. What did Chris realize after he decided to abandon his once beloved Datsun?
5. What is the tone of Krakauer's book?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)