|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What prevented Jan and Bob from going to Bullhead City to pick Chris up?
(a) He arrived at their door before they could leave.
(b) Their mobile home broke down.
(c) Information that they were wanted by the police.
(d) A series of freak desert storms.
2. Impressed with Chris's intelligence, what did Franz try to get him to do?
(a) Get an education.
(b) Start teaching young people.
(c) Clean up and get a good job.
(d) Write a book about his travels.
3. What Tolstoy book was found inside the bus?
(a) The Gulag Archipeliago.
(b) The Cherry Orchard.
(c) War and Peace.
(d) Family Happiness.
4. In what area do people who knew Chris agree that he was inexperienced?
(a) Managing money.
(b) Having a relationship with a girl.
(c) Living off the land.
(d) Cooking for himself.
5. Why did the employees at McDonald's object to Chris?
(a) His long hair.
(b) His poor hygiene.
(c) His bad attitude.
(d) His being a loner.
6. What device does Krakauer use to open Chapter 1 and subsequent chapters?
(a) A photograph.
(b) A drawing.
(c) A skull and cross bones.
(d) A quotation.
7. What did Chris realize after he decided to abandon his once beloved Datsun?
(a) That he missed his family and wanted to go home.
(b) That he was free from material possessions that tie him down.
(c) That it would be impossible to continue without a car.
(d) That he needed better hiking shoes since he was now walking.
8. Who had left Chris a $40,000 inheritance for his school?
(a) A friend of the family.
(b) His grandmother.
(c) A former employer.
(d) A wealthy uncle.
9. Where did Krakaeur meet Westerberg?
(a) In the Caberet in Carthage.
(b) At his house in Carthage.
(c) At a Texaco station in Carthage.
(d) In the Daily News in Carthage.
10. What news seriously alarmed Jan Burres?
(a) That Alex might be a serial killer.
(b) That Alex was wanted by the Nevada police.
(c) That Alex had burned the last of his money when he abandoned his car.
(d) That Alex never intended to see any of his family again.
11. Near what famous landmark did Chris McCandless die?
(a) Mt. Rushmore.
(b) Old Faithful.
(c) Mt. St. Helens.
(d) Mt. McKinley.
12. What did Westerberg give Chris?
(a) A ride to Alaska.
(b) A meal and a room for the night.
(c) A job on his combine crew.
(d) A pair of rubber boots.
13. What did Gail believe about Chris's past life?
(a) That he had imagined all his problems with his family.
(b) That he was extremely immature and was only being rebellious.
(c) That his real problem was something that happened between him and his father.
(d) That he was terribly deprived and abused.
14. How did Chris introduce himself to Gallien?
(a) As Wayne Westerberg.
(b) As Bill Cody.
(c) As Alex, refusing to give a last name.
(d) As a botonist.
15. What did Butch Killian want to do when he arrived on the bus scene where Chris had died?
(a) He wanted to contact the state police to come and remove the body.
(b) He wanted to contact the media because it was a great story.
(c) He wanted to form a search party to see if there was anyone else with the dead boy.
(d) He wanted to burn the bus to rid it of the smell.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the tone of Krakauer's book?
2. How does Krakauer classify Chris as opposed to the way most people saw him?
3. What did Chris make at Franz's house?
4. How do Waterman and Chris differ?
5. What did Gallien know about city people who came to do what Chris had in mind?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)