|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What strange actions did Chris take right after graduating college?
(a) He began a backpack trip that he hoped would eventually take him around the world.
(b) He gave away his entire savings to charity, abandoned his possessions, and became a drifter and wilderness explorer.
(c) He gave his car to his sister and took a bicycle to New York where he went to work on a merchant ship.
(d) He shot his father and spent the next three years on the run from the police.
2. How did Chris describe Charlie, the man who let him stay in a vacant mobile home?
(a) As being benevolent.
(b) As uneducated.
(c) As a father figure.
(d) As a lunatic.
3. Where did Chris live while he was in Carthage?
(a) In the Westerberg home.
(b) In a tack room.
(c) In a cheap boarding house.
(d) At the YMCA.
4. Where did Chris McCandless come from?
(a) Houston, Texas.
(b) Berkley, California.
(c) New York City.
(d) Washington, D.C.
5. What similar classic books are favorites of Ruess and Chris?
(a) Great Expectations and Gone With the Wind.
(b) Look Homeward Angel and Lassie Come Home.
(c) Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea and Moby Dick.
(d) Call of the Wild and Around the World in Eighty Days.
6. What is Davis Gulch?
(a) An extension of the Grand Canyon.
(b) A valley that has only one way in and out.
(c) A watery oasis in the midst of southern Utah.
(d) A cattle passage through western Utah.
7. What problem did Killian have in contacting the authorities?
(a) The other people did not want him to contact the troopers because they did not want to get involved.
(b) It was difficult to find a place where radio signals could get through.
(c) The ice broke on the river and left it more than a hundred yards wide.
(d) His vehicle broke down and it took hours to fix.
8. What is Krakauer's thesis about Chris?
(a) That McCandless understood the risks he faced and came fully prepared to surmount them.
(b) That no one had fully informed Chris about all the dangers he faced.
(c) That Chris was never in full command of his faculties.
(d) That Chris had been given misinformation that led to his doing the wrong things.
9. What alias did Ruess carve on the walls of the canyon?
(a) Yosemite Sam.
10. What did Gail believe about Chris's past life?
(a) That he was extremely immature and was only being rebellious.
(b) That he had imagined all his problems with his family.
(c) That he was terribly deprived and abused.
(d) That his real problem was something that happened between him and his father.
11. What type of people did Ruess like to spend time with?
(a) Photographers and painters.
(b) Hikers and rafters.
(c) Vagabonds and drifters.
(d) Native Americans and Russians.
12. What is the origin of the Stampede Trail?
(a) A trail originally laid out by Virgil Stampede in the 1800s.
(b) An old trail made by stampeding cattle.
(c) The trail that originally led to Pilgrim's mining claims along Stampede Creek.
(d) A trail left when Stampede Creek changed its course.
13. Why did Chris decide to go to San Diego?
(a) To get a suntan at the beach before heading North.
(b) To catch a steamer going up the coast to Alaska.
(c) To catch a train to Alaska.
(d) To find work for money for his Alaskan trip.
14. Why did Chris adopt the name Alex Burres?
(a) He became a surrogate for Jan Burres's estranged son.
(b) He liked the initials AB.
(c) He realized he needed a second name.
(d) He took it when people thought he was Jan's son.
15. What did Chris and Ruess each do shortly before their deaths?
(a) Post several letters.
(b) Dig their graves.
(c) Write out a will.
(d) Burn their money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What comment does Krakauer make about Chris's fondness for Jack London?
2. Why does Krakauer devote Chapter 9 to the story of Everett Ruess?
3. What did Chris realize after he decided to abandon his once beloved Datsun?
4. What symbol is ironic on the leather belt?
5. What problem did the authorities have after removing Chris's body?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)