|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Chris decide to go to San Diego?
(a) To catch a train to Alaska.
(b) To catch a steamer going up the coast to Alaska.
(c) To get a suntan at the beach before heading North.
(d) To find work for money for his Alaskan trip.
2. Where did Chris's canoe trip eventually take him after going as far as he could down the Colorado River?
(a) Some duck hunters agreed to drive him to the Gulf of California.
(b) He headed South and ended up in Acapulco.
(c) He retraced his way back upstream.
(d) He ended up staying with a Mexican family for six weeks.
3. What type of people did Ruess like to spend time with?
(a) Hikers and rafters.
(b) Native Americans and Russians.
(c) Vagabonds and drifters.
(d) Photographers and painters.
4. Why did Chris write in his journal that hiking around Lake Meade was a mistake?
(a) The heat was so intense that he became delirious.
(b) There were no people anywhere around the lake.
(c) He had not been in a town where he could buy new boots.
(d) It was much larger than he anticipated.
5. How do Waterman and Chris differ?
(a) Chris was able to make friends, Waterman was socially awkward.
(b) Chris was afraid of the water and Waterman feared heights.
(c) Chris burned his money, but Waterman always had money with him.
(d) Chis was short and Waterman was very tall.
6. What strange actions did Chris take right after graduating college?
(a) He gave his car to his sister and took a bicycle to New York where he went to work on a merchant ship.
(b) He began a backpack trip that he hoped would eventually take him around the world.
(c) He gave away his entire savings to charity, abandoned his possessions, and became a drifter and wilderness explorer.
(d) He shot his father and spent the next three years on the run from the police.
7. What item of clothing did Chris seem to abhor?
8. After dropping Chris off, why did Gallien decide not to notify the authorities?
(a) It slipped his mind after he got back to town.
(b) He planned to return to check up on Chris.
(c) He promised he would not do that.
(d) He decided Chris would give up on his foolish plan soon enough.
9. What surprising thing about Chris does Westerberg remember about him?
(a) That he would eventually end up in a monastery in Tibet.
(b) That he had expressed a desire to marry and have a family some day.
(c) That he secretly had a sexual fantasy about his sister.
(d) That he knew what he was doing was unfair to his parents.
10. What did Butch Killian want to do when he arrived on the bus scene where Chris had died?
(a) He wanted to contact the media because it was a great story.
(b) He wanted to burn the bus to rid it of the smell.
(c) He wanted to contact the state police to come and remove the body.
(d) He wanted to form a search party to see if there was anyone else with the dead boy.
11. What indicates that Chris intended his Alaska trip to be his final great adventure?
(a) He said he was sure this trip would tire him out completely.
(b) He talked about returning to take care of Ron Franz.
(c) Before leaving, Alex promised Westerberg he would return in time for the fall harvest.
(d) He had lost a great deal of weight and looked ill.
12. What did Chris realize after he decided to abandon his once beloved Datsun?
(a) That it would be impossible to continue without a car.
(b) That he needed better hiking shoes since he was now walking.
(c) That he was free from material possessions that tie him down.
(d) That he missed his family and wanted to go home.
13. After surviving 10 years living off the land, what became of Rosellini?
(a) He traveled around the world backpacking.
(b) He went on the lecture tour.
(c) He settled down in a small town and raised a family.
(d) He commited suicide and left no note.
14. What feat did Waterman achieve in 1978?
(a) He walked from Washington, D. C. to San Francisco.
(b) He climbed Mt. Hunter's southeast spur on his own.
(c) He swam the English Channel in record time.
(d) He jumped out of a plane and parachuetted to the top of Mt. Hunter.
15. What appears to be Krakauer's main motive in writing Into The Wild?
(a) To win a Pulitzer Prize.
(b) To sell it to the movies.
(c) To defend Chris McCandless from his critics.
(d) To justify his own youth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Westerberg give Chris?
2. In Chris's relationships with people, what is the most striking contradiction?
3. Why did Christ steal a bicycle in Northern California?
4. What response does Krakauer report that he got from his OUTSIDE Magazine article on Chris?
5. What is the tone of Krakauer's book?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)