|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Chris realize after he decided to abandon his once beloved Datsun?
(a) That it would be impossible to continue without a car.
(b) That he missed his family and wanted to go home.
(c) That he needed better hiking shoes since he was now walking.
(d) That he was free from material possessions that tie him down.
2. What does Ruess's biographer, Ken Sleight, believe happened to Ruess?
(a) Falling from a cliff.
(b) Ruess changed his name and disappeared.
(c) A robbery and murder.
(d) Accidental drowning.
3. Where did Chris meet Wayne Westerberg?
(a) On the Colorado River.
(b) In Carthage, South Dakota.
(c) In Los Angeles.
(d) In Fairbanks, Alaska.
4. Where did Alex stay outside of Salton City?
(a) Right at Oh-My-God Hot Springs.
(b) Joshua Tree National Park.
(c) Palm Springs.
(d) Anza-Borrego Desert State Park.
5. What is ironic about Krakauer's descriptions of Walt McCandless and that of his rebellious son, Chris?
(a) Walt had always been kind and generous but Chris had always been aloof.
(b) Walt and Chris believe in the same socialistic things.
(c) Chris was a carbon copy of his father when he was that age.
(d) Krakauer describes Chris and Walt McCandless as being very similar, both stubborn and temperamental individuals.
6. What device does Krakauer use to open Chapter 1 and subsequent chapters?
(a) A skull and cross bones.
(b) A quotation.
(c) A photograph.
(d) A drawing.
7. What group of Irish aesthetics does Krakauer include in Chapter 9?
(a) St Patrick monks.
(b) The papar.
(c) The highlanders.
(d) The Celtic travelers.
8. What did Butch Killian want to do when he arrived on the bus scene where Chris had died?
(a) He wanted to form a search party to see if there was anyone else with the dead boy.
(b) He wanted to contact the media because it was a great story.
(c) He wanted to contact the state police to come and remove the body.
(d) He wanted to burn the bus to rid it of the smell.
9. How did Chris get to San Francisco?
(a) He had enough money for a bus ticket.
(b) He rode on a vegetable truck he helped load up.
(c) He hitchhiked.
(d) Franz drove him there.
10. What effect had Chris had on Ronald Franz?
(a) He became an alcoholic.
(b) He sold his possessions and lived in a mobile camper.
(c) He started taking in every drifter he saw.
(d) He started going back to church.
11. What did Gail believe about Chris's past life?
(a) That his real problem was something that happened between him and his father.
(b) That he was terribly deprived and abused.
(c) That he had imagined all his problems with his family.
(d) That he was extremely immature and was only being rebellious.
12. What did Walt and Billie McCandless discover when they drive to Chris's apartment in Atlanta?
(a) That he had moved out three months before.
(b) That the building had been torn down.
(c) That Chris had never lived there.
(d) That there was no such address.
13. Why did Chris write in his journal that hiking around Lake Meade was a mistake?
(a) He had not been in a town where he could buy new boots.
(b) There were no people anywhere around the lake.
(c) It was much larger than he anticipated.
(d) The heat was so intense that he became delirious.
14. How did Chris describe Charlie, the man who let him stay in a vacant mobile home?
(a) As being benevolent.
(b) As a father figure.
(c) As uneducated.
(d) As a lunatic.
15. Still calling himself by another name, Chris met two drifters who befriend him. Who were they?
(a) Jane Burres and her nephew Fred.
(b) Martha Burres and her son Tom.
(c) Betty Burres and her father Edgar.
(d) Jan Burres and her boyfriend Bob.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of people did Ruess like to spend time with?
2. After a semester at UCLA and a winter in San Francisco, what did Ruess do?
3. What complication did Chris face while living in The Slabs?
4. Near what famous landmark did Chris McCandless die?
5. To whom did Chris send a postcard from Bullhead City?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)