|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Chris get to San Francisco?
(a) Franz drove him there.
(b) He hitchhiked.
(c) He had enough money for a bus ticket.
(d) He rode on a vegetable truck he helped load up.
2. What did Gallien think about Chris's weapon?
(a) It was difficult to carry.
(b) It was badly in need of cleaning.
(c) It was too small to be effective against large animals.
(d) It had no case to put it in for protection from the weather.
3. What did Gallien know about city people who came to do what Chris had in mind?
(a) Such greenhorns usually underestimated the wilderness to their own peril.
(b) They quickly walked back to Fairbanks.
(c) They usually gave up after three days.
(d) They never got around to writing about their adventure.
4. Although Waterman became something of a local hero, what job did he have in Fairbanks?
5. What problem did the authorities have after removing Chris's body?
(a) Finding enough tissue to autopsy.
(b) Keeping the body frozen.
(c) Identifying him.
(d) Getting the body to Fairbanks.
6. What do some people think about Chris McCandless?
(a) That he was murdered in Alaska.
(b) That he was accident prone.
(c) That he was a foolish boy who threw away his life.
(d) That he had the spirit of Daniel Boone.
7. What message did Chris leave taped to the door of the bus?
(a) That visitors were welcome.
(b) That he would return in an hour.
(c) That he was near death.
(d) That he had staked a claim on this bus.
8. Who did Chris meet on a trip into Salton City to get some supplies?
(a) Westerberg, who is looking for work.
(b) Ron Franz, an 80-year-old man.
(c) A waitress at the small cafe.
(d) A drifter he knew at The Slab.
9. Where did Chris meet Wayne Westerberg?
(a) In Fairbanks, Alaska.
(b) On the Colorado River.
(c) In Los Angeles.
(d) In Carthage, South Dakota.
10. What did Chris do on frequent visits to Franz's apartment in Salton City?
(a) Read Franz's books.
(b) Clean house for Franz.
(c) Work out in Franz's garage.
(d) His laundry and learn leathercraft.
11. What did Chris do after Westerberg was jailed?
(a) He hitchhiked to Needles, California, then walked through the desert to Topock, Arizona.
(b) He headed north to Alaska.
(c) He stayed with Westerberg's family until he got out.
(d) He kept himself hidden because the police might have been looking for him.
12. How did Walt and Billie McCandless learn in Chapter 4 where their son might be?
(a) One of Chris's high school friends got a call from Chris.
(b) Jan Burres called them.
(c) They saw him on a newscast on TV.
(d) They received a ticket issued to their son for hitchhiking near Eureka, California.
13. Why did Chris write in his journal that hiking around Lake Meade was a mistake?
(a) It was much larger than he anticipated.
(b) There were no people anywhere around the lake.
(c) The heat was so intense that he became delirious.
(d) He had not been in a town where he could buy new boots.
14. Chris confided to Gail Borah that he was close to one member of his family. Who is that?
(a) His uncle, Milton.
(b) His cousin, Jason.
(c) His sister, Carine.
(d) His gramdmother.
15. In what way did Chris exhibit a double standard about money?
(a) He borrowed money that he knew he could never repay.
(b) He refused to take money for the work he did, but accepted goods that probably cost as much.
(c) He now wanted to collect all the money he could to outfit himself for Alaska.
(d) He refused to let Jan drive him to pick up his last check at McDonald's.
Short Answer Questions
1. What story does Krakauer tell that resembles Chris's in many ways?
2. What happened when the moose hunters got to the bus where they plan to camp out?
3. How do Waterman and Chris differ?
4. What work did Chris (Alex) do while he stayed with Jan and Bob at The Slabs?
5. Why did Christ steal a bicycle in Northern California?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)