|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In October of 1990, National Park Ranger, what did Bud Walsh discover?
(a) Chris's old yellow Datsun that had been abandoned.
(b) A rifle that had been buried.
(c) Evidence of a camp in a restricted area.
(d) A backpack with $123 stuffed inside it.
2. What strange actions did Chris take right after graduating college?
(a) He gave his car to his sister and took a bicycle to New York where he went to work on a merchant ship.
(b) He began a backpack trip that he hoped would eventually take him around the world.
(c) He gave away his entire savings to charity, abandoned his possessions, and became a drifter and wilderness explorer.
(d) He shot his father and spent the next three years on the run from the police.
3. What is ironic about Krakauer's descriptions of Walt McCandless and that of his rebellious son, Chris?
(a) Krakauer describes Chris and Walt McCandless as being very similar, both stubborn and temperamental individuals.
(b) Walt and Chris believe in the same socialistic things.
(c) Chris was a carbon copy of his father when he was that age.
(d) Walt had always been kind and generous but Chris had always been aloof.
4. Why is the Stampede Trail still in use?
(a) People use it to hike to Mt. McKinley.
(b) Campers and hunters keep using it instead of making a new one.
(c) In the early 1960s, the trail was upgraded by Yutan Construction to an actual roadway.
(d) It runs along side of the Alaska Pipeline.
5. What item of clothing did Chris seem to abhor?
6. Where did Chris meet Wayne Westerberg?
(a) In Fairbanks, Alaska.
(b) In Los Angeles.
(c) On the Colorado River.
(d) In Carthage, South Dakota.
7. What problem did Killian have in contacting the authorities?
(a) The ice broke on the river and left it more than a hundred yards wide.
(b) His vehicle broke down and it took hours to fix.
(c) The other people did not want him to contact the troopers because they did not want to get involved.
(d) It was difficult to find a place where radio signals could get through.
8. What food was Chris extremely fond of?
(d) Grilled cheese.
9. Where did Krakaeur meet Westerberg?
(a) At his house in Carthage.
(b) In the Caberet in Carthage.
(c) At a Texaco station in Carthage.
(d) In the Daily News in Carthage.
10. What alias did Ruess carve on the walls of the canyon?
(a) Yosemite Sam.
11. What did Westerberg give Chris?
(a) A meal and a room for the night.
(b) A job on his combine crew.
(c) A pair of rubber boots.
(d) A ride to Alaska.
12. How does Krakauer classify Chris as opposed to the way most people saw him?
(a) As a true hero others should look up to.
(b) As mentally unbalanced.
(c) As a classic example of a true Robinson Crusoe.
(d) As not very different from many idealistic, if short-sighted, young people.
13. What surprising thing about Chris does Westerberg remember about him?
(a) That he knew what he was doing was unfair to his parents.
(b) That he had expressed a desire to marry and have a family some day.
(c) That he would eventually end up in a monastery in Tibet.
(d) That he secretly had a sexual fantasy about his sister.
14. What was the official verdict on the cause of death?
(b) Punctured lungs.
(d) Lead poisoning.
15. What steps did Walt and Billie take to find Chris?
(a) They went on TV begging Chris to come home.
(b) They hired a private investigator.
(c) They took a trip to Eureka, California.
(d) They got the police to put out an APB on Chris.
Short Answer Questions
1. At which stop did Chris remain for the longest time?
2. What work did Chris (Alex) do while he stayed with Jan and Bob at The Slabs?
3. What did Walt and Billie McCandless discover when they drive to Chris's apartment in Atlanta?
4. Why did Chris write in his journal that hiking around Lake Meade was a mistake?
5. What type of people did Ruess like to spend time with?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)