|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Chris corresponded with his sister, what did he confide to her?
(a) That he would see her by Christmas time.
(b) That he was tired of being on the run all the time.
(c) That he planned to lull his parents into a false sense of security then cut them out of his life abruptly and decisively.
(d) That he would surprise them all and come home.
2. How had Chris already been separating himself from his family?
(a) By going out of town for holidays and weekends.
(b) By only meeting them occasionally at a restaurant.
(c) By living off campus in a room that had no phone.
(d) By not speaking to them for months at a time.
3. What did Westerberg give Chris?
(a) A meal and a room for the night.
(b) A ride to Alaska.
(c) A job on his combine crew.
(d) A pair of rubber boots.
4. Why does Krakauer devote Chapter 9 to the story of Everett Ruess?
(a) Karkauer wants to expand the scope of his thesis.
(b) Krakauer wants to show how different Ruess is from Chris.
(c) Krakauer wants to demonstrate mental illness in Ruess.
(d) Krakauer sees great similarities between Ruess and Chris.
5. What surprising thing about Chris does Westerberg remember about him?
(a) That he knew what he was doing was unfair to his parents.
(b) That he secretly had a sexual fantasy about his sister.
(c) That he had expressed a desire to marry and have a family some day.
(d) That he would eventually end up in a monastery in Tibet.
6. Still calling himself by another name, Chris met two drifters who befriend him. Who were they?
(a) Betty Burres and her father Edgar.
(b) Jan Burres and her boyfriend Bob.
(c) Martha Burres and her son Tom.
(d) Jane Burres and her nephew Fred.
7. Why did Christ steal a bicycle in Northern California?
(a) He had always wanted a bike like that.
(b) He intended to return and pay for it.
(c) He was delirious at the time and did not know what he was doing.
(d) The man he worked for refused to pay him.
8. What comment does Krakauer make about Chris's fondness for Jack London?
(a) That London had never actually been in Alaska.
(b) That Chris did not recognize London's lifestyle was different from the people he wrote about.
(c) That London lectured against doing exactly what Chris was doing.
(d) That London's books had all been proven to be false.
9. In Chris's relationships with people, what is the most striking contradiction?
(a) His love for his family but his inability to show it.
(b) His hurtfulness toward his family and his refusal to help anyone else.
(c) His coldness toward his parents and his warmth with people he met in his travels.
(d) His ambivalence to his family and his hatred of the people he met.
10. What item of clothing did Chris seem to abhor?
11. Where did Chris McCandless come from?
(a) Berkley, California.
(b) New York City.
(c) Houston, Texas.
(d) Washington, D.C.
12. What was the official verdict on the cause of death?
(b) Punctured lungs.
(d) Lead poisoning.
13. What effect had Chris had on Ronald Franz?
(a) He started going back to church.
(b) He sold his possessions and lived in a mobile camper.
(c) He became an alcoholic.
(d) He started taking in every drifter he saw.
14. Where did Chris intend to hike?
(a) Along the Alaskan Pipeline.
(b) Southwestward into Canada.
(c) The Stampede Trail, a faint track in the wilderness well off the beaten path.
(d) Where no one had ever gone before.
15. What steps did Walt and Billie take to find Chris?
(a) They went on TV begging Chris to come home.
(b) They got the police to put out an APB on Chris.
(c) They hired a private investigator.
(d) They took a trip to Eureka, California.
Short Answer Questions
1. What food was Chris extremely fond of?
2. At what point did Chris stop writing in his journal?
3. Why is the Stampede Trail still in use?
4. Impressed with Chris's intelligence, what did Franz try to get him to do?
5. Near what famous landmark did Chris McCandless die?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)