|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Chris get to San Francisco?
(a) He rode on a vegetable truck he helped load up.
(b) Franz drove him there.
(c) He had enough money for a bus ticket.
(d) He hitchhiked.
2. What was located at Oh-My-God Hot Springs?
(a) A tourist inn and spa.
(b) A hippie commune of sorts, which had sprung up around some natural hot springs.
(c) A ranger station.
(d) A pool with a waterfall.
3. What happened when the moose hunters got to the bus where they plan to camp out?
(a) There was a pack of wolves surrounding the bus.
(b) There was a terrible smell coming from inside the bus.
(c) The bus had been moved and they didn't know where to look for it.
(d) The bus was a burned out shell.
4. What parallel does Krakauer draw between Chris and Carl McCunn?
(a) Both of them were serious dropouts from society.
(b) Like Chris, McCunn ruined his camera in the Alaskan wilderness.
(c) Both Chris and McCunn were gainfully employed when they went on their fatal trips.
(d) McCunn died in the Alaskan wilderness because of an oversight just as Chris did.
5. How were Chris's ideals defined in his own mind?
(a) They were defined by the poetry of E.E. cummings.
(b) They were defined by the works of Phillip Roth and F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(c) He valued chastity and moral purity as defined by Tolstoy and Thoreau.
(d) His ideals were defined by his own sense of injustice in the world.
6. What is the origin of the Stampede Trail?
(a) A trail originally laid out by Virgil Stampede in the 1800s.
(b) A trail left when Stampede Creek changed its course.
(c) An old trail made by stampeding cattle.
(d) The trail that originally led to Pilgrim's mining claims along Stampede Creek.
7. How did Chris introduce himself to Gallien?
(a) As a botonist.
(b) As Alex, refusing to give a last name.
(c) As Bill Cody.
(d) As Wayne Westerberg.
8. What event happened in April 1992 that prompted the writing of Into The Wild?
(a) An 80-year-old man called OUTSIDE Magazine to tell them about Chris McCandless.
(b) Christopher McCandless disappeared and no one ever knew what happened to him.
(c) There was a volcano that killed a young man named Christopher McCandless.
(d) Christopher McCandless hitchhiked to Alaska and entered the wilderness north of Mt. McKinley and four months later, a party of hunters found his body.
9. What did Westerberg give Chris?
(a) A job on his combine crew.
(b) A pair of rubber boots.
(c) A meal and a room for the night.
(d) A ride to Alaska.
10. What message did Chris leave taped to the door of the bus?
(a) That visitors were welcome.
(b) That he had staked a claim on this bus.
(c) That he would return in an hour.
(d) That he was near death.
11. What is Davis Gulch?
(a) An extension of the Grand Canyon.
(b) A watery oasis in the midst of southern Utah.
(c) A valley that has only one way in and out.
(d) A cattle passage through western Utah.
12. Who did Chris meet on a trip into Salton City to get some supplies?
(a) A waitress at the small cafe.
(b) Westerberg, who is looking for work.
(c) Ron Franz, an 80-year-old man.
(d) A drifter he knew at The Slab.
13. What does Krakauer think might have made the difference in Chris's survival?
(a) If he had brought along some brandy.
(b) If he had found a warmer shelter in Alaska.
(c) If he had taken someone with him.
(d) If he had not made one or two critical mistakes.
14. Where did Chris McCandless come from?
(a) Houston, Texas.
(b) Berkley, California.
(c) Washington, D.C.
(d) New York City.
15. Still calling himself by another name, Chris met two drifters who befriend him. Who were they?
(a) Jane Burres and her nephew Fred.
(b) Betty Burres and her father Edgar.
(c) Martha Burres and her son Tom.
(d) Jan Burres and her boyfriend Bob.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Chris make at Franz's house?
2. Why does Krakauer devote Chapter 9 to the story of Everett Ruess?
3. How does Krakauer classify Chris as opposed to the way most people saw him?
4. What Tolstoy book was found inside the bus?
5. What comment does Krakauer make about Chris's fondness for Jack London?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)