|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What alias did Ruess carve on the walls of the canyon?
(a) Yosemite Sam.
2. What problem did Killian have in contacting the authorities?
(a) His vehicle broke down and it took hours to fix.
(b) The ice broke on the river and left it more than a hundred yards wide.
(c) It was difficult to find a place where radio signals could get through.
(d) The other people did not want him to contact the troopers because they did not want to get involved.
3. Why did Krakauer include so much about the McCandless family in Chapter 3?
(a) To make Chris seem thoughtless and cold.
(b) Just for conversation with Wayne Westerberg.
(c) To contrast them with the adoptive Westerberg family.
(d) To give the reader an idea that Chris might change his mind.
4. What was Chris carrying when he met Jim Gallien?
(a) A battered canoe.
(b) A plastic bag of groceries.
(c) A rifle.
(d) A small dog.
5. What event happened in April 1992 that prompted the writing of Into The Wild?
(a) Christopher McCandless disappeared and no one ever knew what happened to him.
(b) An 80-year-old man called OUTSIDE Magazine to tell them about Chris McCandless.
(c) There was a volcano that killed a young man named Christopher McCandless.
(d) Christopher McCandless hitchhiked to Alaska and entered the wilderness north of Mt. McKinley and four months later, a party of hunters found his body.
6. Why did the employees at McDonald's object to Chris?
(a) His bad attitude.
(b) His being a loner.
(c) His long hair.
(d) His poor hygiene.
7. Why did Chris write in his journal that hiking around Lake Meade was a mistake?
(a) There were no people anywhere around the lake.
(b) It was much larger than he anticipated.
(c) He had not been in a town where he could buy new boots.
(d) The heat was so intense that he became delirious.
8. Why did Chris adopt the name Alex Burres?
(a) He liked the initials AB.
(b) He realized he needed a second name.
(c) He became a surrogate for Jan Burres's estranged son.
(d) He took it when people thought he was Jan's son.
9. What symbol is ironic on the leather belt?
(a) Chris's initials surrounded by a scull and crossbones.
(b) A raised fist.
(c) A tombstone marked R.I.P.
(d) A serpent head baring its fangs.
10. What did Krakauer include in the book besides events he uncovered from the life of Chris McCandless?
(a) Some of his own experiences as a young man.
(b) Facts and figures from the U. S. Census Bureau.
(c) Some allusions to Huckelberry Finn.
(d) Adventures of several other young men.
11. What strange actions did Chris take right after graduating college?
(a) He shot his father and spent the next three years on the run from the police.
(b) He gave his car to his sister and took a bicycle to New York where he went to work on a merchant ship.
(c) He gave away his entire savings to charity, abandoned his possessions, and became a drifter and wilderness explorer.
(d) He began a backpack trip that he hoped would eventually take him around the world.
12. What group of Irish aesthetics does Krakauer include in Chapter 9?
(a) St Patrick monks.
(b) The highlanders.
(c) The Celtic travelers.
(d) The papar.
13. What unusual political action did Waterman take after his climb?
(a) He campaigned for LBJ.
(b) He applied to go to West Point.
(c) He got elected to the Fairbanks School Board.
(d) He ran for President of the United States.
14. What effect had Chris had on Ronald Franz?
(a) He started going back to church.
(b) He became an alcoholic.
(c) He started taking in every drifter he saw.
(d) He sold his possessions and lived in a mobile camper.
15. What was Chris's plan for after college that he did not tell his family?
(a) He planed to marry a girl his parents did not approve of.
(b) He planed to go on an indefinite road trip.
(c) He planed to go live in Mexico.
(d) He planed to commit suicide.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Chris survive in that hostile environment?
2. What parallel does Krakauer draw between Chris and Carl McCunn?
3. Still calling himself by another name, Chris met two drifters who befriend him. Who were they?
4. Who had carved a passage from the creek up to the dry gulch?
5. How did Chris describe Charlie, the man who let him stay in a vacant mobile home?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)