|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Jim Gallien first encounter Chris?
(a) In a hardware store in Fairbanks, Alaska.
(b) In the library at Fairbanks, Alaska.
(c) In a cheap cafe on the outskirts of Fairbanks.
(d) Hitchhiking about four miles outside of Fairbanks, Alaska.
2. What was Chris's plan for after college that he did not tell his family?
(a) He planed to go on an indefinite road trip.
(b) He planed to marry a girl his parents did not approve of.
(c) He planed to commit suicide.
(d) He planed to go live in Mexico.
3. Impressed with Chris's intelligence, what did Franz try to get him to do?
(a) Clean up and get a good job.
(b) Start teaching young people.
(c) Get an education.
(d) Write a book about his travels.
4. What news seriously alarmed Jan Burres?
(a) That Alex never intended to see any of his family again.
(b) That Alex had burned the last of his money when he abandoned his car.
(c) That Alex might be a serial killer.
(d) That Alex was wanted by the Nevada police.
5. What did Gallien notice about Chris's boots?
(a) They were too large for his feet.
(b) They were lightweight and not waterproof.
(c) They were old and ripped out at the seams.
(d) They were designed for mountain climbing.
6. What is the tone of Krakauer's book?
7. What food was Chris extremely fond of?
(b) Grilled cheese.
8. What did Gallien know about city people who came to do what Chris had in mind?
(a) They never got around to writing about their adventure.
(b) Such greenhorns usually underestimated the wilderness to their own peril.
(c) They usually gave up after three days.
(d) They quickly walked back to Fairbanks.
9. What group of Irish aesthetics does Krakauer include in Chapter 9?
(a) St Patrick monks.
(b) The highlanders.
(c) The Celtic travelers.
(d) The papar.
10. Where did Chris McCandless come from?
(a) Berkley, California.
(b) Houston, Texas.
(c) New York City.
(d) Washington, D.C.
11. To whom did Chris send a postcard from Bullhead City?
(a) His sister.
(b) His ex-girlfriend.
(d) Jan Buress.
12. Where had Chris McCandless attended school and graduated with honors?
(a) Yale University.
(b) Harvard University.
(c) The University of Virginia.
(d) Emory University.
13. After a series of misadventures on his way to San Diego, why did Chris call Franz?
(a) To tell Franz that he was in the hospital.
(b) To ask him to send money.
(c) To see if he had gotten any mail.
(d) To come pick him up.
14. At which stop did Chris remain for the longest time?
(a) In Bullhead City, Arizona.
(b) Back at the Westenberg's house.
(c) In Fairbanks, Alaska.
(d) On the coast in Oregon.
15. Near what famous landmark did Chris McCandless die?
(a) Old Faithful.
(b) Mt. St. Helens.
(c) Mt. Rushmore.
(d) Mt. McKinley.
Short Answer Questions
1. What problem did Killian have in contacting the authorities?
2. After surviving 10 years living off the land, what became of Rosellini?
3. What surprising thing about Chris does Westerberg remember about him?
4. Still calling himself by another name, Chris met two drifters who befriend him. Who were they?
5. What did Chris realize after he decided to abandon his once beloved Datsun?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)