|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What had Chris's mother and father offered to do after he graduated from college?
(a) Give him a trip to Europe.
(b) Buy him a new car and pay for his graduate school.
(c) Bring him into the family business.
(d) Help him get a job with their Congressman.
2. What did Chris tell Gallien his plans were?
(a) To hike as far north as he could go.
(b) To write a book like Thoreau.
(c) To hike from Mt. McKinley to the Gulf of Mexico.
(d) To walk into the wilderness near Denali National Park to live off the land for several months.
3. How do Waterman and Chris differ?
(a) Chris was able to make friends, Waterman was socially awkward.
(b) Chris burned his money, but Waterman always had money with him.
(c) Chis was short and Waterman was very tall.
(d) Chris was afraid of the water and Waterman feared heights.
4. What did Chris do after Westerberg was jailed?
(a) He headed north to Alaska.
(b) He hitchhiked to Needles, California, then walked through the desert to Topock, Arizona.
(c) He kept himself hidden because the police might have been looking for him.
(d) He stayed with Westerberg's family until he got out.
5. After surviving 10 years living off the land, what became of Rosellini?
(a) He commited suicide and left no note.
(b) He went on the lecture tour.
(c) He traveled around the world backpacking.
(d) He settled down in a small town and raised a family.
6. Near what famous landmark did Chris McCandless die?
(a) Mt. St. Helens.
(b) Old Faithful.
(c) Mt. Rushmore.
(d) Mt. McKinley.
7. What feat did Waterman achieve in 1978?
(a) He walked from Washington, D. C. to San Francisco.
(b) He jumped out of a plane and parachuetted to the top of Mt. Hunter.
(c) He swam the English Channel in record time.
(d) He climbed Mt. Hunter's southeast spur on his own.
8. Where did Chris live while he was in Carthage?
(a) At the YMCA.
(b) In the Westerberg home.
(c) In a tack room.
(d) In a cheap boarding house.
9. After a series of misadventures on his way to San Diego, why did Chris call Franz?
(a) To come pick him up.
(b) To see if he had gotten any mail.
(c) To tell Franz that he was in the hospital.
(d) To ask him to send money.
10. What response does Krakauer report that he got from his OUTSIDE Magazine article on Chris?
(a) They were mostly critical of Chris's ignorance.
(b) Most people thought Krakauer had made up the story.
(c) Most people applauded Chris's spirit.
(d) Most people wanted to know more about Chris's family life.
11. What is the tone of Krakauer's book?
12. What questions did Chris ask Gallien that impressed the older man?
(a) Informed questions about the flora and fauna of Alaska.
(b) About moose and carribu.
(c) About the length of winters in Alaska.
(d) About traffic in that part of Alaska.
13. What did Gallien think about Chris's weapon?
(a) It had no case to put it in for protection from the weather.
(b) It was too small to be effective against large animals.
(c) It was difficult to carry.
(d) It was badly in need of cleaning.
14. In Chris's relationships with people, what is the most striking contradiction?
(a) His coldness toward his parents and his warmth with people he met in his travels.
(b) His hurtfulness toward his family and his refusal to help anyone else.
(c) His love for his family but his inability to show it.
(d) His ambivalence to his family and his hatred of the people he met.
15. What does Ruess's biographer, Ken Sleight, believe happened to Ruess?
(a) Accidental drowning.
(b) Falling from a cliff.
(c) A robbery and murder.
(d) Ruess changed his name and disappeared.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprising thing about Chris does Westerberg remember about him?
2. What complication did Chris face while living in The Slabs?
3. What is Krakauer's thesis about Chris?
4. What was the official verdict on the cause of death?
5. What did Chris do with the $24,000 he had left over from his inheritance?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)