|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Chris tell Gallien his plans were?
(a) To write a book like Thoreau.
(b) To walk into the wilderness near Denali National Park to live off the land for several months.
(c) To hike as far north as he could go.
(d) To hike from Mt. McKinley to the Gulf of Mexico.
2. How long did Chris survive in that hostile environment?
(a) Almost a year.
(b) Sixteen weeks.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Six months.
3. What strange actions did Chris take right after graduating college?
(a) He gave away his entire savings to charity, abandoned his possessions, and became a drifter and wilderness explorer.
(b) He gave his car to his sister and took a bicycle to New York where he went to work on a merchant ship.
(c) He shot his father and spent the next three years on the run from the police.
(d) He began a backpack trip that he hoped would eventually take him around the world.
4. What is The Slabs?
(a) An old U. S. Calvary outpost.
(b) A flat, rocky area in the Arizona desert.
(c) A settlement of people who erect their tents on concrete slabs.
(d) An abandoned military base where drifters come during the winter.
5. What is the tone of Krakauer's book?
6. What message did Chris leave taped to the door of the bus?
(a) That visitors were welcome.
(b) That he had staked a claim on this bus.
(c) That he was near death.
(d) That he would return in an hour.
7. Where did Chris meet Wayne Westerberg?
(a) In Carthage, South Dakota.
(b) In Fairbanks, Alaska.
(c) On the Colorado River.
(d) In Los Angeles.
8. What was the similar experience that led to both of these stories of drop out and adventure?
(a) Both of them graduated from Emory University.
(b) Both of them were classical musicians.
(c) Both of them drove Yellow Datsons.
(d) Both of them had issues with their family life.
9. What did Butch Killian want to do when he arrived on the bus scene where Chris had died?
(a) He wanted to contact the media because it was a great story.
(b) He wanted to contact the state police to come and remove the body.
(c) He wanted to burn the bus to rid it of the smell.
(d) He wanted to form a search party to see if there was anyone else with the dead boy.
10. How does Krakauer answer Chris's critics?
(a) He challenges anyone to do it better than Chris did.
(b) Krakauer cites several examples of marginal individuals who have died in the Alaskan wilderness, presenting the details of their cases to show that McCandless was not the typical foolish greenhorn.
(c) He shows how Chris would have survived had it not been for an accident.
(d) He maintains that Chris knew what he was doing and almost made it.
11. What unusual political action did Waterman take after his climb?
(a) He campaigned for LBJ.
(b) He applied to go to West Point.
(c) He ran for President of the United States.
(d) He got elected to the Fairbanks School Board.
12. Where did Jim Gallien first encounter Chris?
(a) In a cheap cafe on the outskirts of Fairbanks.
(b) In the library at Fairbanks, Alaska.
(c) In a hardware store in Fairbanks, Alaska.
(d) Hitchhiking about four miles outside of Fairbanks, Alaska.
13. At which stop did Chris remain for the longest time?
(a) Back at the Westenberg's house.
(b) In Bullhead City, Arizona.
(c) In Fairbanks, Alaska.
(d) On the coast in Oregon.
14. What is Krakauer's thesis about Chris?
(a) That McCandless understood the risks he faced and came fully prepared to surmount them.
(b) That Chris had been given misinformation that led to his doing the wrong things.
(c) That no one had fully informed Chris about all the dangers he faced.
(d) That Chris was never in full command of his faculties.
15. What alias did Ruess carve on the walls of the canyon?
(d) Yosemite Sam.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened when the moose hunters got to the bus where they plan to camp out?
2. What type of people did Ruess like to spend time with?
3. What was the official verdict on the cause of death?
4. What was Chris's plan for after college that he did not tell his family?
5. What human contact did Chris have as he hikeed West from Lake Mead?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)