|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What questions did Chris ask Gallien that impressed the older man?
(a) Informed questions about the flora and fauna of Alaska.
(b) About the length of winters in Alaska.
(c) About traffic in that part of Alaska.
(d) About moose and carribu.
2. What did Chris and Ruess each do shortly before their deaths?
(a) Dig their graves.
(b) Post several letters.
(c) Write out a will.
(d) Burn their money.
3. What unusual political action did Waterman take after his climb?
(a) He campaigned for LBJ.
(b) He ran for President of the United States.
(c) He got elected to the Fairbanks School Board.
(d) He applied to go to West Point.
4. Chris confided to Gail Borah that he was close to one member of his family. Who is that?
(a) His sister, Carine.
(b) His uncle, Milton.
(c) His cousin, Jason.
(d) His gramdmother.
5. Near what famous landmark did Chris McCandless die?
(a) Old Faithful.
(b) Mt. McKinley.
(c) Mt. St. Helens.
(d) Mt. Rushmore.
6. What response does Krakauer report that he got from his OUTSIDE Magazine article on Chris?
(a) Most people applauded Chris's spirit.
(b) Most people wanted to know more about Chris's family life.
(c) Most people thought Krakauer had made up the story.
(d) They were mostly critical of Chris's ignorance.
7. What do some people think about Chris McCandless?
(a) That he had the spirit of Daniel Boone.
(b) That he was murdered in Alaska.
(c) That he was accident prone.
(d) That he was a foolish boy who threw away his life.
8. What news seriously alarmed Jan Burres?
(a) That Alex might be a serial killer.
(b) That Alex never intended to see any of his family again.
(c) That Alex had burned the last of his money when he abandoned his car.
(d) That Alex was wanted by the Nevada police.
9. What is The Slabs?
(a) An abandoned military base where drifters come during the winter.
(b) A settlement of people who erect their tents on concrete slabs.
(c) A flat, rocky area in the Arizona desert.
(d) An old U. S. Calvary outpost.
10. Why did the employees at McDonald's object to Chris?
(a) His long hair.
(b) His being a loner.
(c) His poor hygiene.
(d) His bad attitude.
11. Where did Alex stay outside of Salton City?
(a) Joshua Tree National Park.
(b) Right at Oh-My-God Hot Springs.
(c) Anza-Borrego Desert State Park.
(d) Palm Springs.
12. What comment does Krakauer make about Chris's fondness for Jack London?
(a) That London's books had all been proven to be false.
(b) That London had never actually been in Alaska.
(c) That London lectured against doing exactly what Chris was doing.
(d) That Chris did not recognize London's lifestyle was different from the people he wrote about.
13. How had Chris already been separating himself from his family?
(a) By only meeting them occasionally at a restaurant.
(b) By not speaking to them for months at a time.
(c) By living off campus in a room that had no phone.
(d) By going out of town for holidays and weekends.
14. What strange actions did Chris take right after graduating college?
(a) He began a backpack trip that he hoped would eventually take him around the world.
(b) He gave his car to his sister and took a bicycle to New York where he went to work on a merchant ship.
(c) He gave away his entire savings to charity, abandoned his possessions, and became a drifter and wilderness explorer.
(d) He shot his father and spent the next three years on the run from the police.
15. Why did Chris write in his journal that hiking around Lake Meade was a mistake?
(a) He had not been in a town where he could buy new boots.
(b) The heat was so intense that he became delirious.
(c) There were no people anywhere around the lake.
(d) It was much larger than he anticipated.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Gail believe about Chris's past life?
2. What appears to be Krakauer's main motive in writing Into The Wild?
3. How does Chapter 1 begin?
4. What was the similar experience that led to both of these stories of drop out and adventure?
5. What effect had Chris had on Ronald Franz?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)