|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 18, The Stampede Trail.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What characteristic of his father's does Krakauer mention as a flaw?
(a) That his father could never admit to being wrong.
(b) That his father never climbed a mountain.
(c) That his father worked too many jobs.
(d) That his father was too kind to everyone.
2. Why did Krakauer include so much about the McCandless family in Chapter 3?
(a) To make Chris seem thoughtless and cold.
(b) Just for conversation with Wayne Westerberg.
(c) To give the reader an idea that Chris might change his mind.
(d) To contrast them with the adoptive Westerberg family.
3. What event happened in April 1992 that prompted the writing of Into The Wild?
(a) Christopher McCandless disappeared and no one ever knew what happened to him.
(b) Christopher McCandless hitchhiked to Alaska and entered the wilderness north of Mt. McKinley and four months later, a party of hunters found his body.
(c) There was a volcano that killed a young man named Christopher McCandless.
(d) An 80-year-old man called OUTSIDE Magazine to tell them about Chris McCandless.
4. When Chris corresponded with his sister, what did he confide to her?
(a) That he planned to lull his parents into a false sense of security then cut them out of his life abruptly and decisively.
(b) That he was tired of being on the run all the time.
(c) That he would see her by Christmas time.
(d) That he would surprise them all and come home.
5. What is Krakauer's message by using the details of the moose hunter's trip to the bus?
(a) He shows that even seasoned hunters must contend with the harsh elements of the northwest.
(b) It is how he explains the difficulty in getting to the place where Chris died.
(c) He shows more about how beautiful the landscape is in that place.
(d) He breaks up the story to keep it interesting.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far did Chris travel on the Stampede Trail before he located the abandoned bus?
2. Who did Chris meet on a trip into Salton City to get some supplies?
3. How is Carine different from Chris?
4. What questions did Chris ask Gallien that impressed the older man?
5. Where did Chris McCandless come from?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)