|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 18, The Stampede Trail.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Butch Killian want to do when he arrived on the bus scene where Chris had died?
(a) He wanted to burn the bus to rid it of the smell.
(b) He wanted to contact the media because it was a great story.
(c) He wanted to contact the state police to come and remove the body.
(d) He wanted to form a search party to see if there was anyone else with the dead boy.
2. What shows Chris's attitude toward injustices that began when he was in college?
(a) He started a soup kitchen in Annandale.
(b) He took classes about world hunger, poverty, wealth distribution and racism.
(c) He refused a new car because there were so many people who did not have one.
(d) He began bringing homeless people to his dorm room.
3. What was the skeleton in Walt's closet that stressed the whole family, Chris in particular?
(a) Walt and Billie divorced but later remarried.
(b) Walt had lived a bigamist life for some years after Chris was born.
(c) Walt kept a mistress after Chris went to college.
(d) Walt had affairs with several women.
4. What comment does Krakauer make about Chris's fondness for Jack London?
(a) That Chris did not recognize London's lifestyle was different from the people he wrote about.
(b) That London lectured against doing exactly what Chris was doing.
(c) That London had never actually been in Alaska.
(d) That London's books had all been proven to be false.
5. What did Chris do after Westerberg was jailed?
(a) He headed north to Alaska.
(b) He hitchhiked to Needles, California, then walked through the desert to Topock, Arizona.
(c) He kept himself hidden because the police might have been looking for him.
(d) He stayed with Westerberg's family until he got out.
Short Answer Questions
1. What spurred Krakauer on after his failed attempt to climb Devil's Thumb?
2. What did Chris make at Franz's house?
3. In what way did Chris exhibit a double standard about money?
4. How was Westerberg able to help the police?
5. What did Chris do the summer after his sophomore year in college?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)