|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 18, The Stampede Trail.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Krakauer answer Chris's critics?
(a) He maintains that Chris knew what he was doing and almost made it.
(b) Krakauer cites several examples of marginal individuals who have died in the Alaskan wilderness, presenting the details of their cases to show that McCandless was not the typical foolish greenhorn.
(c) He challenges anyone to do it better than Chris did.
(d) He shows how Chris would have survived had it not been for an accident.
2. Where did Chris's canoe trip eventually take him after going as far as he could down the Colorado River?
(a) He retraced his way back upstream.
(b) He ended up staying with a Mexican family for six weeks.
(c) He headed South and ended up in Acapulco.
(d) Some duck hunters agreed to drive him to the Gulf of California.
3. Impressed with Chris's intelligence, what did Franz try to get him to do?
(a) Get an education.
(b) Clean up and get a good job.
(c) Start teaching young people.
(d) Write a book about his travels.
4. Why does Krakauer relate his own experiences in Chapter 14?
(a) To prove that he had no right to write about Chris.
(b) To show how he was so much better than Chris.
(c) To see if he is any different now as a mature man.
(d) To show his affinity with Chris.
5. What parallel does Krakauer draw between Chris and Carl McCunn?
(a) McCunn died in the Alaskan wilderness because of an oversight just as Chris did.
(b) Both Chris and McCunn were gainfully employed when they went on their fatal trips.
(c) Like Chris, McCunn ruined his camera in the Alaskan wilderness.
(d) Both of them were serious dropouts from society.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Chris corresponded with his sister, what did he confide to her?
2. What sad discovery does Krakauer make just a quarter mile down stream on the river?
3. What is Krakauer's obvious purpose of including the information in Chapter 9?
4. How does Krakauer interpret the evidence he gathered about Chris?
5. What ambitions did Jon Krakauer's father have for all of his children?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)