|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 18, The Stampede Trail.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A year after Chris's death, what did Krakauer observe on the banks of the Teklanika River where Chris had been unable to cross?
(a) There are dangerous rocks just under the surface of the water.
(b) The ice was breaking up and the footing was dangerous.
(c) The river is indeed a wide, churning flow of water.
(d) The river was overflowing its banks.
2. In regards to family, how do Ruess and Chris compare?
(a) Ruess seemed to be on good relations with his family unlike Chris.
(b) They both were alienated from their families.
(c) Ruess and Chris both missed their families as they traveled.
(d) Like Chris, Ruess felt his family supported his travels.
3. What news seriously alarmed Jan Burres?
(a) That Alex had burned the last of his money when he abandoned his car.
(b) That Alex was wanted by the Nevada police.
(c) That Alex might be a serial killer.
(d) That Alex never intended to see any of his family again.
4. What is the origin of the Stampede Trail?
(a) A trail originally laid out by Virgil Stampede in the 1800s.
(b) The trail that originally led to Pilgrim's mining claims along Stampede Creek.
(c) An old trail made by stampeding cattle.
(d) A trail left when Stampede Creek changed its course.
5. When Krakauer was at the mountain he came to climb, what enhanced his emotions?
(a) Two sturdy aluminum curtain rods with him, lashed in a cross shape, to prevent him from falling into a crevasse.
(b) The clean air which gave him an oxygen high.
(c) The beauty of the snowy terrain and clear sky was intensified for him by his solitude.
(d) The cheers of the people who came to see him off.
Short Answer Questions
1. What device does Krakauer use to open Chapter 1 and subsequent chapters?
2. What did Chris do on frequent visits to Franz's apartment in Salton City?
3. Why does Krakauer relate his own experiences in Chapter 14?
4. After Chris left home, why didnn't Carine get upset when he won't tell her where he was?
5. Where did Alex stay outside of Salton City?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)