|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 18, The Stampede Trail.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the skeleton in Walt's closet that stressed the whole family, Chris in particular?
(a) Walt and Billie divorced but later remarried.
(b) Walt had affairs with several women.
(c) Walt kept a mistress after Chris went to college.
(d) Walt had lived a bigamist life for some years after Chris was born.
2. What did Chris tell Gallien his plans were?
(a) To hike as far north as he could go.
(b) To hike from Mt. McKinley to the Gulf of Mexico.
(c) To walk into the wilderness near Denali National Park to live off the land for several months.
(d) To write a book like Thoreau.
3. What emotional experience disturbed Chris while he is staying in the bus?
(a) Thinking about his sister.
(b) Watching an otter get captured by an eagle.
(c) Bad dreams that hinted of his death.
(d) Killing a moose and being unable to preserve the meat.
4. Why did Chris write in his journal that hiking around Lake Meade was a mistake?
(a) He had not been in a town where he could buy new boots.
(b) It was much larger than he anticipated.
(c) There were no people anywhere around the lake.
(d) The heat was so intense that he became delirious.
5. What prevented Jan and Bob from going to Bullhead City to pick Chris up?
(a) Information that they were wanted by the police.
(b) A series of freak desert storms.
(c) Their mobile home broke down.
(d) He arrived at their door before they could leave.
Short Answer Questions
1. What unusual political action did Waterman take after his climb?
2. What family outings did the McCandless family mention to Krakauer?
3. When Krakauer reached an impassable place on the mountain, what did he do?
4. What parallel does Krakauer draw between Chris and Carl McCunn?
5. What effect had Chris had on Ronald Franz?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)