|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 18, The Stampede Trail.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Chris describe Charlie, the man who let him stay in a vacant mobile home?
(a) As uneducated.
(b) As a father figure.
(c) As being benevolent.
(d) As a lunatic.
2. What parallel does Krakauer draw between Chris and Carl McCunn?
(a) Both Chris and McCunn were gainfully employed when they went on their fatal trips.
(b) McCunn died in the Alaskan wilderness because of an oversight just as Chris did.
(c) Both of them were serious dropouts from society.
(d) Like Chris, McCunn ruined his camera in the Alaskan wilderness.
3. What did Krakauer do similar to what Chris did when he needed to go to the village of Petersberg?
(a) He burned his money.
(b) He abandoned his car.
(c) He sent postcards to friends.
(d) He bought a big bag of rice.
4. After Chris left home, why didnn't Carine get upset when he won't tell her where he was?
(a) She thought their father would try to bring him home if he knew.
(b) She was glad he was gone so she could have his room.
(c) She knew Chris was happy and thought he would come home some day.
(d) She didn't want to know because she didn't care.
5. After a series of misadventures on his way to San Diego, why did Chris call Franz?
(a) To tell Franz that he was in the hospital.
(b) To ask him to send money.
(c) To come pick him up.
(d) To see if he had gotten any mail.
Short Answer Questions
1. What steps did Walt and Billie take to find Chris?
2. On his last trip to Carthage, who is the woman Chris became close with?
3. What did Chris do the summer after his sophomore year in college?
4. In what way did Chris exhibit a double standard about money?
5. Impressed with Chris's intelligence, what did Franz try to get him to do?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)