|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 15, The Stikine Ice Cap.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After a semester at UCLA and a winter in San Francisco, what did Ruess do?
(a) Looking for someone to join his nature walks.
(b) Keeping a journal that was published after his death.
(c) Spent the rest of his days backpacking and sleeping on the ground.
(d) Studying photography.
2. After Chris left home, why didnn't Carine get upset when he won't tell her where he was?
(a) She didn't want to know because she didn't care.
(b) She thought their father would try to bring him home if he knew.
(c) She was glad he was gone so she could have his room.
(d) She knew Chris was happy and thought he would come home some day.
3. What is the origin of the Stampede Trail?
(a) The trail that originally led to Pilgrim's mining claims along Stampede Creek.
(b) A trail left when Stampede Creek changed its course.
(c) A trail originally laid out by Virgil Stampede in the 1800s.
(d) An old trail made by stampeding cattle.
4. What did Walt and Billie McCandless discover when they drive to Chris's apartment in Atlanta?
(a) That he had moved out three months before.
(b) That Chris had never lived there.
(c) That there was no such address.
(d) That the building had been torn down.
5. At which stop did Chris remain for the longest time?
(a) In Fairbanks, Alaska.
(b) On the coast in Oregon.
(c) Back at the Westenberg's house.
(d) In Bullhead City, Arizona.
Short Answer Questions
1. What story does Krakauer tell that resembles Chris's in many ways?
2. Who gave Krakauer dinner and a place to sleep in Petersberg?
3. What similarity is there between Jon's relationship with his father and Chris's relationship with Walt?
4. How did Chris describe Charlie, the man who let him stay in a vacant mobile home?
5. What human contact did Chris have as he hikeed West from Lake Mead?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)