|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 15, The Stikine Ice Cap.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Impressed with Chris's intelligence, what did Franz try to get him to do?
(a) Start teaching young people.
(b) Write a book about his travels.
(c) Clean up and get a good job.
(d) Get an education.
2. How did Chris introduce himself to Gallien?
(a) As a botonist.
(b) As Alex, refusing to give a last name.
(c) As Bill Cody.
(d) As Wayne Westerberg.
3. Why was author Jon Krakauer interested in writing Chris's story?
(a) Krakauer identifies with McCandless's attraction to nature and to high-risk activities, and also understands the young man's troubled relationship with his father.
(b) Krakauer wanted to pass judgement on Chris in the hopes of preventing another young man from doing the same.
(c) Krakauer had nothing better to do at the time and thought he would enjoy visiting all the places Chris had gone.
(d) Krakauer recognized that Chris's story would be a sure-fire best seller and be made into a movie.
4. Why did Chris adopt the name Alex Burres?
(a) He realized he needed a second name.
(b) He became a surrogate for Jan Burres's estranged son.
(c) He took it when people thought he was Jan's son.
(d) He liked the initials AB.
5. Racing against a storm, Krakauer reaches the summit of the Thumb. How does he describe it?
(a) He describes the summit as malevolent and surreal.
(b) He describes it as breathtakingly beautiful.
(c) He describes it as a big disappointment.
(d) He describes it as the coldest place on earth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What strange actions did Chris take right after graduating college?
2. What important work does Walt McCandless do?
3. When Franz offered to give Chris a ride to his campsite, what is it he didn't know?
4. What connection did Jim Gallien make when he read the article about Chris's death?
5. What did Krakauer include in the book besides events he uncovered from the life of Chris McCandless?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)