|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 15, The Stikine Ice Cap.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What problem did Killian have in contacting the authorities?
(a) His vehicle broke down and it took hours to fix.
(b) It was difficult to find a place where radio signals could get through.
(c) The other people did not want him to contact the troopers because they did not want to get involved.
(d) The ice broke on the river and left it more than a hundred yards wide.
2. What comment does Krakauer make about Chris's fondness for Jack London?
(a) That London had never actually been in Alaska.
(b) That Chris did not recognize London's lifestyle was different from the people he wrote about.
(c) That London lectured against doing exactly what Chris was doing.
(d) That London's books had all been proven to be false.
3. In regards to family, how do Ruess and Chris compare?
(a) Like Chris, Ruess felt his family supported his travels.
(b) Ruess and Chris both missed their families as they traveled.
(c) They both were alienated from their families.
(d) Ruess seemed to be on good relations with his family unlike Chris.
4. What gift did Walt give Billie after the birth of Chris?
(a) The Gianni guitar that was left in the yellow Datson.
(b) A 3-carat diamond ring.
(c) A leather bound copy of Leaves of Grass.
(d) A vacation in Paris.
5. How does Krakauer answer Chris's critics?
(a) Krakauer cites several examples of marginal individuals who have died in the Alaskan wilderness, presenting the details of their cases to show that McCandless was not the typical foolish greenhorn.
(b) He maintains that Chris knew what he was doing and almost made it.
(c) He challenges anyone to do it better than Chris did.
(d) He shows how Chris would have survived had it not been for an accident.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Krakauer think might have made the difference in Chris's survival?
2. What work did Chris (Alex) do while he stayed with Jan and Bob at The Slabs?
3. What did Walt and Billie McCandless discover when they drive to Chris's apartment in Atlanta?
4. Although Waterman became something of a local hero, what job did he have in Fairbanks?
5. How did Walt and Billie McCandless learn in Chapter 4 where their son might be?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)