|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 15, The Stikine Ice Cap.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What information does Gallien provide the police?
(a) That the young man had called himself Alex and had come from South Dakota.
(b) That Alex had mentioned a friend named Ron in California.
(c) That Alex's real name was Chris McCandless.
(d) That Alex was coughing bad when he dropped him off.
2. What trait did sports reveal in Chris?
(a) He was not interested in competition.
(b) He wanted other people to win.
(c) He was lazy about training.
(d) He did not take defeat well.
3. How had Chris already been separating himself from his family?
(a) By going out of town for holidays and weekends.
(b) By living off campus in a room that had no phone.
(c) By not speaking to them for months at a time.
(d) By only meeting them occasionally at a restaurant.
4. How did Chris describe Charlie, the man who let him stay in a vacant mobile home?
(a) As being benevolent.
(b) As uneducated.
(c) As a father figure.
(d) As a lunatic.
5. What similar classic books are favorites of Ruess and Chris?
(a) Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea and Moby Dick.
(b) Look Homeward Angel and Lassie Come Home.
(c) Call of the Wild and Around the World in Eighty Days.
(d) Great Expectations and Gone With the Wind.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Krakauer's obvious purpose of including the information in Chapter 9?
2. What spurred Krakauer on after his failed attempt to climb Devil's Thumb?
3. Who had left Chris a $40,000 inheritance for his school?
4. Where did Krakaeur meet Westerberg?
5. What device does Krakauer use to open Chapter 1 and subsequent chapters?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)