|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, Virginia Beach.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Krakauer devote Chapter 9 to the story of Everett Ruess?
(a) Krakauer wants to show how different Ruess is from Chris.
(b) Karkauer wants to expand the scope of his thesis.
(c) Krakauer sees great similarities between Ruess and Chris.
(d) Krakauer wants to demonstrate mental illness in Ruess.
2. Where did Alex stay outside of Salton City?
(a) Palm Springs.
(b) Right at Oh-My-God Hot Springs.
(c) Anza-Borrego Desert State Park.
(d) Joshua Tree National Park.
3. Why did Krakauer include so much about the McCandless family in Chapter 3?
(a) To contrast them with the adoptive Westerberg family.
(b) Just for conversation with Wayne Westerberg.
(c) To make Chris seem thoughtless and cold.
(d) To give the reader an idea that Chris might change his mind.
4. What response does Krakauer report that he got from his OUTSIDE Magazine article on Chris?
(a) Most people thought Krakauer had made up the story.
(b) Most people applauded Chris's spirit.
(c) Most people wanted to know more about Chris's family life.
(d) They were mostly critical of Chris's ignorance.
5. Chris confided to Gail Borah that he was close to one member of his family. Who is that?
(a) His gramdmother.
(b) His cousin, Jason.
(c) His sister, Carine.
(d) His uncle, Milton.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is ironic about Krakauer's descriptions of Walt McCandless and that of his rebellious son, Chris?
2. Impressed with Chris's intelligence, what did Franz try to get him to do?
3. Why did Chris decide to go to San Diego?
4. Where did Chris intend to hike?
5. What had Chris's mother and father offered to do after he graduated from college?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)