|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, Virginia Beach.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was author Jon Krakauer interested in writing Chris's story?
(a) Krakauer wanted to pass judgement on Chris in the hopes of preventing another young man from doing the same.
(b) Krakauer had nothing better to do at the time and thought he would enjoy visiting all the places Chris had gone.
(c) Krakauer identifies with McCandless's attraction to nature and to high-risk activities, and also understands the young man's troubled relationship with his father.
(d) Krakauer recognized that Chris's story would be a sure-fire best seller and be made into a movie.
2. How does Krakauer answer Chris's critics?
(a) He challenges anyone to do it better than Chris did.
(b) He maintains that Chris knew what he was doing and almost made it.
(c) Krakauer cites several examples of marginal individuals who have died in the Alaskan wilderness, presenting the details of their cases to show that McCandless was not the typical foolish greenhorn.
(d) He shows how Chris would have survived had it not been for an accident.
3. What did Gallien think about Chris's weapon?
(a) It was difficult to carry.
(b) It was badly in need of cleaning.
(c) It was too small to be effective against large animals.
(d) It had no case to put it in for protection from the weather.
4. What message did Chris leave taped to the door of the bus?
(a) That he had staked a claim on this bus.
(b) That he would return in an hour.
(c) That he was near death.
(d) That visitors were welcome.
5. What prevented Jan and Bob from going to Bullhead City to pick Chris up?
(a) A series of freak desert storms.
(b) He arrived at their door before they could leave.
(c) Information that they were wanted by the police.
(d) Their mobile home broke down.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ruess's biographer, Ken Sleight, believe happened to Ruess?
2. What device does Krakauer use to open Chapter 1 and subsequent chapters?
3. What appears to be Krakauer's main motive in writing Into The Wild?
4. After a semester at UCLA and a winter in San Francisco, what did Ruess do?
5. After Chris left home, why didnn't Carine get upset when he won't tell her where he was?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)