|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8, Alaska.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Although Waterman became something of a local hero, what job did he have in Fairbanks?
2. What steps did Walt and Billie take to find Chris?
(a) They hired a private investigator.
(b) They got the police to put out an APB on Chris.
(c) They took a trip to Eureka, California.
(d) They went on TV begging Chris to come home.
3. What story does Krakauer tell that resembles Chris's in many ways?
(a) The loneliness of Henry David Thoreau.
(b) The adventures of Edmund Scott.
(c) The troubles of Carl Jennings.
(d) The life of John Mallon Waterman.
4. How does Krakauer answer Chris's critics?
(a) Krakauer cites several examples of marginal individuals who have died in the Alaskan wilderness, presenting the details of their cases to show that McCandless was not the typical foolish greenhorn.
(b) He challenges anyone to do it better than Chris did.
(c) He maintains that Chris knew what he was doing and almost made it.
(d) He shows how Chris would have survived had it not been for an accident.
5. Chris confided to Gail Borah that he was close to one member of his family. Who is that?
(a) His cousin, Jason.
(b) His uncle, Milton.
(c) His sister, Carine.
(d) His gramdmother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Chris realize after he decided to abandon his once beloved Datsun?
2. In what way did Chris exhibit a double standard about money?
3. When Chris corresponded with his sister, what did he confide to her?
4. What device does Krakauer use to open Chapter 1 and subsequent chapters?
5. What surprising thing about Chris does Westerberg remember about him?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)