|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8, Alaska.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What response does Krakauer report that he got from his OUTSIDE Magazine article on Chris?
(a) They were mostly critical of Chris's ignorance.
(b) Most people wanted to know more about Chris's family life.
(c) Most people thought Krakauer had made up the story.
(d) Most people applauded Chris's spirit.
2. What symbol is ironic on the leather belt?
(a) A tombstone marked R.I.P.
(b) Chris's initials surrounded by a scull and crossbones.
(c) A serpent head baring its fangs.
(d) A raised fist.
3. How were Chris's ideals defined in his own mind?
(a) They were defined by the works of Phillip Roth and F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(b) He valued chastity and moral purity as defined by Tolstoy and Thoreau.
(c) They were defined by the poetry of E.E. cummings.
(d) His ideals were defined by his own sense of injustice in the world.
4. What device does Krakauer use to open Chapter 1 and subsequent chapters?
(a) A photograph.
(b) A quotation.
(c) A skull and cross bones.
(d) A drawing.
5. During an interview with Krakauer, what does Westerberg say about Chris?
(a) That he had an admirable spirit of adventure.
(b) That he lacked common sense.
(c) That he was an expert mechanic.
(d) That he seldom told the truth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item of clothing did Chris seem to abhor?
2. What parallel does Krakauer draw between Chris and Carl McCunn?
3. What effect had Chris had on Ronald Franz?
4. In October of 1990, National Park Ranger, what did Bud Walsh discover?
5. What did Krakauer include in the book besides events he uncovered from the life of Chris McCandless?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)