|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8, Alaska.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Chris McCandless come from?
(a) Houston, Texas.
(b) Washington, D.C.
(c) Berkley, California.
(d) New York City.
2. What story does Krakauer tell that resembles Chris's in many ways?
(a) The loneliness of Henry David Thoreau.
(b) The troubles of Carl Jennings.
(c) The adventures of Edmund Scott.
(d) The life of John Mallon Waterman.
3. In what way did Chris exhibit a double standard about money?
(a) He now wanted to collect all the money he could to outfit himself for Alaska.
(b) He refused to let Jan drive him to pick up his last check at McDonald's.
(c) He refused to take money for the work he did, but accepted goods that probably cost as much.
(d) He borrowed money that he knew he could never repay.
4. What was Chris's plan for after college that he did not tell his family?
(a) He planed to commit suicide.
(b) He planed to go live in Mexico.
(c) He planed to marry a girl his parents did not approve of.
(d) He planed to go on an indefinite road trip.
5. What did Chris tell Gallien his plans were?
(a) To walk into the wilderness near Denali National Park to live off the land for several months.
(b) To hike from Mt. McKinley to the Gulf of Mexico.
(c) To hike as far north as he could go.
(d) To write a book like Thoreau.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Chris adopt the name Alex Burres?
2. What event happened in April 1992 that prompted the writing of Into The Wild?
3. Who does Krakauer mention who had done something similar to what Chris did and survived?
4. In Chris's relationships with people, what is the most striking contradiction?
5. What message did Chris leave taped to the door of the bus?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)