|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8, Alaska.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is The Slabs?
(a) An abandoned military base where drifters come during the winter.
(b) A flat, rocky area in the Arizona desert.
(c) An old U. S. Calvary outpost.
(d) A settlement of people who erect their tents on concrete slabs.
2. At what point did Chris stop writing in his journal?
(a) When it had no more blank pages.
(b) When his camera was ruined and he buried it outside of Vegas.
(c) When it accidentally fell into his campfire one night.
(d) When he decided that no one would ever read it.
3. What effect had Chris had on Ronald Franz?
(a) He started taking in every drifter he saw.
(b) He became an alcoholic.
(c) He started going back to church.
(d) He sold his possessions and lived in a mobile camper.
4. Why does Krakauer include a narrative about moose hunters driving off-road trucks to get to the site Chris eventually found?
(a) To put a note of optimism into the story which sustains the suspense.
(b) To explain the existence of the bus where Chris stayed.
(c) To show the difficulties even well-equipped people have in this wilderness.
(d) To provide a bit of humor against the tension of the story.
5. What is the tone of Krakauer's book?
Short Answer Questions
1. What problem did the authorities have after removing Chris's body?
2. What did Gallien notice about Chris's boots?
3. Where did Chris's canoe trip eventually take him after going as far as he could down the Colorado River?
4. What did Chris do with the $24,000 he had left over from his inheritance?
5. What Tolstoy book was found inside the bus?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)