|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8, Alaska.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Chris realize after he decided to abandon his once beloved Datsun?
(a) That he missed his family and wanted to go home.
(b) That he was free from material possessions that tie him down.
(c) That it would be impossible to continue without a car.
(d) That he needed better hiking shoes since he was now walking.
2. What surprising thing about Chris does Westerberg remember about him?
(a) That he knew what he was doing was unfair to his parents.
(b) That he secretly had a sexual fantasy about his sister.
(c) That he would eventually end up in a monastery in Tibet.
(d) That he had expressed a desire to marry and have a family some day.
3. What parallel does Krakauer draw between Chris and Carl McCunn?
(a) Both Chris and McCunn were gainfully employed when they went on their fatal trips.
(b) McCunn died in the Alaskan wilderness because of an oversight just as Chris did.
(c) Like Chris, McCunn ruined his camera in the Alaskan wilderness.
(d) Both of them were serious dropouts from society.
4. Where did Chris live while he was in Carthage?
(a) In the Westerberg home.
(b) At the YMCA.
(c) In a cheap boarding house.
(d) In a tack room.
5. What work did Chris (Alex) do while he stayed with Jan and Bob at The Slabs?
(a) Selling in their fleamarket books stall.
(b) Making hamburgers that he learned how to do at McDonald's.
(c) Acting as a security gurad.
(d) Digging ditches.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Chris do on frequent visits to Franz's apartment in Salton City?
2. What did Gallien know about city people who came to do what Chris had in mind?
3. What does Krakauer suggest shows that Chris was not mentally ill?
4. How did Walt and Billie McCandless learn in Chapter 4 where their son might be?
5. What effect had Chris had on Ronald Franz?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)