|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, Detrital Wash.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Jim Gallien first encounter Chris?
(a) In the library at Fairbanks, Alaska.
(b) In a cheap cafe on the outskirts of Fairbanks.
(c) Hitchhiking about four miles outside of Fairbanks, Alaska.
(d) In a hardware store in Fairbanks, Alaska.
2. Why did Chris adopt the name Alex Burres?
(a) He became a surrogate for Jan Burres's estranged son.
(b) He liked the initials AB.
(c) He realized he needed a second name.
(d) He took it when people thought he was Jan's son.
3. What message did Chris leave taped to the door of the bus?
(a) That he would return in an hour.
(b) That he was near death.
(c) That visitors were welcome.
(d) That he had staked a claim on this bus.
4. How did Walt and Billie McCandless learn in Chapter 4 where their son might be?
(a) One of Chris's high school friends got a call from Chris.
(b) Jan Burres called them.
(c) They saw him on a newscast on TV.
(d) They received a ticket issued to their son for hitchhiking near Eureka, California.
5. How does Chapter 1 begin?
(a) With a conversation Chris has with an Inuit.
(b) With a postcard written by McCandless, addressed to Wayne Westerberg in Carthage, South Dakota.
(c) With a letter Chris writes to his sister.
(d) With a description of the Alaskan wildeerness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Gallien think about Chris's weapon?
2. What news seriously alarmed Jan Burres?
3. Why is the Stampede Trail still in use?
4. Why did Krakauer include so much about the McCandless family in Chapter 3?
5. Where had Chris McCandless attended school and graduated with honors?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)