|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, Detrital Wash.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who had left Chris a $40,000 inheritance for his school?
(a) A wealthy uncle.
(b) His grandmother.
(c) A former employer.
(d) A friend of the family.
2. Why does Krakauer include a narrative about moose hunters driving off-road trucks to get to the site Chris eventually found?
(a) To show the difficulties even well-equipped people have in this wilderness.
(b) To explain the existence of the bus where Chris stayed.
(c) To provide a bit of humor against the tension of the story.
(d) To put a note of optimism into the story which sustains the suspense.
3. What device does Krakauer use to open Chapter 1 and subsequent chapters?
(a) A drawing.
(b) A photograph.
(c) A skull and cross bones.
(d) A quotation.
4. What did Walt and Billie McCandless discover when they drive to Chris's apartment in Atlanta?
(a) That the building had been torn down.
(b) That there was no such address.
(c) That he had moved out three months before.
(d) That Chris had never lived there.
5. What do some people think about Chris McCandless?
(a) That he was accident prone.
(b) That he had the spirit of Daniel Boone.
(c) That he was a foolish boy who threw away his life.
(d) That he was murdered in Alaska.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Chris write in his journal that hiking around Lake Meade was a mistake?
2. Where did Jim Gallien first encounter Chris?
3. Where did Chris's canoe trip eventually take him after going as far as he could down the Colorado River?
4. What did Chris realize after he decided to abandon his once beloved Datsun?
5. Near what famous landmark did Chris McCandless die?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)