|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, Detrital Wash.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news seriously alarmed Jan Burres?
(a) That Alex had burned the last of his money when he abandoned his car.
(b) That Alex was wanted by the Nevada police.
(c) That Alex might be a serial killer.
(d) That Alex never intended to see any of his family again.
2. Where did Chris's canoe trip eventually take him after going as far as he could down the Colorado River?
(a) Some duck hunters agreed to drive him to the Gulf of California.
(b) He retraced his way back upstream.
(c) He headed South and ended up in Acapulco.
(d) He ended up staying with a Mexican family for six weeks.
3. How does Krakauer classify Chris as opposed to the way most people saw him?
(a) As a true hero others should look up to.
(b) As a classic example of a true Robinson Crusoe.
(c) As not very different from many idealistic, if short-sighted, young people.
(d) As mentally unbalanced.
4. Where had Chris McCandless attended school and graduated with honors?
(a) The University of Virginia.
(b) Yale University.
(c) Emory University.
(d) Harvard University.
5. What is Krakauer's thesis about Chris?
(a) That Chris had been given misinformation that led to his doing the wrong things.
(b) That Chris was never in full command of his faculties.
(c) That no one had fully informed Chris about all the dangers he faced.
(d) That McCandless understood the risks he faced and came fully prepared to surmount them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who had left Chris a $40,000 inheritance for his school?
2. What message did Chris leave taped to the door of the bus?
3. What event happened in April 1992 that prompted the writing of Into The Wild?
4. What is the tone of Krakauer's book?
5. What strange actions did Chris take right after graduating college?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)