|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, Detrital Wash.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Chris meet Wayne Westerberg?
(a) In Los Angeles.
(b) On the Colorado River.
(c) In Carthage, South Dakota.
(d) In Fairbanks, Alaska.
2. What event happened in April 1992 that prompted the writing of Into The Wild?
(a) There was a volcano that killed a young man named Christopher McCandless.
(b) An 80-year-old man called OUTSIDE Magazine to tell them about Chris McCandless.
(c) Christopher McCandless disappeared and no one ever knew what happened to him.
(d) Christopher McCandless hitchhiked to Alaska and entered the wilderness north of Mt. McKinley and four months later, a party of hunters found his body.
3. What was the official verdict on the cause of death?
(a) Lead poisoning.
(b) Punctured lungs.
4. How did Walt and Billie McCandless learn in Chapter 4 where their son might be?
(a) They received a ticket issued to their son for hitchhiking near Eureka, California.
(b) One of Chris's high school friends got a call from Chris.
(c) They saw him on a newscast on TV.
(d) Jan Burres called them.
5. How did Chris introduce himself to Gallien?
(a) As a botonist.
(b) As Alex, refusing to give a last name.
(c) As Wayne Westerberg.
(d) As Bill Cody.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Chris write in his journal that hiking around Lake Meade was a mistake?
2. After dropping Chris off, why did Gallien decide not to notify the authorities?
3. How long did Chris survive in that hostile environment?
4. Why does Krakauer include a narrative about moose hunters driving off-road trucks to get to the site Chris eventually found?
5. What did Chris do after Westerberg was jailed?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)