|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, Detrital Wash.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Krakauer classify Chris as opposed to the way most people saw him?
(a) As a true hero others should look up to.
(b) As a classic example of a true Robinson Crusoe.
(c) As mentally unbalanced.
(d) As not very different from many idealistic, if short-sighted, young people.
2. What does Krakauer think might have made the difference in Chris's survival?
(a) If he had not made one or two critical mistakes.
(b) If he had taken someone with him.
(c) If he had found a warmer shelter in Alaska.
(d) If he had brought along some brandy.
3. Why is the Stampede Trail still in use?
(a) Campers and hunters keep using it instead of making a new one.
(b) It runs along side of the Alaska Pipeline.
(c) In the early 1960s, the trail was upgraded by Yutan Construction to an actual roadway.
(d) People use it to hike to Mt. McKinley.
4. What did Chris do after Westerberg was jailed?
(a) He kept himself hidden because the police might have been looking for him.
(b) He hitchhiked to Needles, California, then walked through the desert to Topock, Arizona.
(c) He headed north to Alaska.
(d) He stayed with Westerberg's family until he got out.
5. What is Krakauer's message by using the details of the moose hunter's trip to the bus?
(a) It is how he explains the difficulty in getting to the place where Chris died.
(b) He shows that even seasoned hunters must contend with the harsh elements of the northwest.
(c) He breaks up the story to keep it interesting.
(d) He shows more about how beautiful the landscape is in that place.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Butch Killian want to do when he arrived on the bus scene where Chris had died?
2. What event happened in April 1992 that prompted the writing of Into The Wild?
3. What steps did Walt and Billie take to find Chris?
4. How long did Chris survive in that hostile environment?
5. What did Krakauer include in the book besides events he uncovered from the life of Chris McCandless?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)