|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, Detrital Wash.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Chapter 1 begin?
(a) With a postcard written by McCandless, addressed to Wayne Westerberg in Carthage, South Dakota.
(b) With a description of the Alaskan wildeerness.
(c) With a letter Chris writes to his sister.
(d) With a conversation Chris has with an Inuit.
2. Where did Krakaeur meet Westerberg?
(a) At a Texaco station in Carthage.
(b) At his house in Carthage.
(c) In the Daily News in Carthage.
(d) In the Caberet in Carthage.
3. Where did Chris intend to hike?
(a) Where no one had ever gone before.
(b) The Stampede Trail, a faint track in the wilderness well off the beaten path.
(c) Southwestward into Canada.
(d) Along the Alaskan Pipeline.
4. What happened when the moose hunters got to the bus where they plan to camp out?
(a) The bus had been moved and they didn't know where to look for it.
(b) There was a terrible smell coming from inside the bus.
(c) There was a pack of wolves surrounding the bus.
(d) The bus was a burned out shell.
5. Why does Krakauer include a narrative about moose hunters driving off-road trucks to get to the site Chris eventually found?
(a) To show the difficulties even well-equipped people have in this wilderness.
(b) To put a note of optimism into the story which sustains the suspense.
(c) To provide a bit of humor against the tension of the story.
(d) To explain the existence of the bus where Chris stayed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the official verdict on the cause of death?
2. Where did Chris meet Wayne Westerberg?
3. What is Krakauer's thesis about Chris?
4. Who had left Chris a $40,000 inheritance for his school?
5. What questions did Chris ask Gallien that impressed the older man?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)