|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, Detrital Wash.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Chris realize after he decided to abandon his once beloved Datsun?
(a) That he was free from material possessions that tie him down.
(b) That he missed his family and wanted to go home.
(c) That it would be impossible to continue without a car.
(d) That he needed better hiking shoes since he was now walking.
2. How does Chapter 1 begin?
(a) With a letter Chris writes to his sister.
(b) With a conversation Chris has with an Inuit.
(c) With a postcard written by McCandless, addressed to Wayne Westerberg in Carthage, South Dakota.
(d) With a description of the Alaskan wildeerness.
3. What is Krakauer's thesis about Chris?
(a) That Chris was never in full command of his faculties.
(b) That Chris had been given misinformation that led to his doing the wrong things.
(c) That McCandless understood the risks he faced and came fully prepared to surmount them.
(d) That no one had fully informed Chris about all the dangers he faced.
4. What strange actions did Chris take right after graduating college?
(a) He began a backpack trip that he hoped would eventually take him around the world.
(b) He gave his car to his sister and took a bicycle to New York where he went to work on a merchant ship.
(c) He shot his father and spent the next three years on the run from the police.
(d) He gave away his entire savings to charity, abandoned his possessions, and became a drifter and wilderness explorer.
5. What device does Krakauer use to open Chapter 1 and subsequent chapters?
(a) A photograph.
(b) A skull and cross bones.
(c) A drawing.
(d) A quotation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Krakauer include in the book besides events he uncovered from the life of Chris McCandless?
2. What is the tone of Krakauer's book?
3. Where had Chris McCandless attended school and graduated with honors?
4. Why does Krakauer include a narrative about moose hunters driving off-road trucks to get to the site Chris eventually found?
5. What steps did Walt and Billie take to find Chris?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)