|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, Detrital Wash.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Tolstoy book was found inside the bus?
(a) The Cherry Orchard.
(b) War and Peace.
(c) Family Happiness.
(d) The Gulag Archipeliago.
2. Where did Chris's canoe trip eventually take him after going as far as he could down the Colorado River?
(a) He headed South and ended up in Acapulco.
(b) He retraced his way back upstream.
(c) He ended up staying with a Mexican family for six weeks.
(d) Some duck hunters agreed to drive him to the Gulf of California.
3. What strange actions did Chris take right after graduating college?
(a) He shot his father and spent the next three years on the run from the police.
(b) He began a backpack trip that he hoped would eventually take him around the world.
(c) He gave away his entire savings to charity, abandoned his possessions, and became a drifter and wilderness explorer.
(d) He gave his car to his sister and took a bicycle to New York where he went to work on a merchant ship.
4. What steps did Walt and Billie take to find Chris?
(a) They went on TV begging Chris to come home.
(b) They got the police to put out an APB on Chris.
(c) They hired a private investigator.
(d) They took a trip to Eureka, California.
5. What appears to be Krakauer's main motive in writing Into The Wild?
(a) To justify his own youth.
(b) To defend Chris McCandless from his critics.
(c) To sell it to the movies.
(d) To win a Pulitzer Prize.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Chris write in his journal that hiking around Lake Meade was a mistake?
2. What did Gallien know about city people who came to do what Chris had in mind?
3. How does Chapter 1 begin?
4. What is the origin of the Stampede Trail?
5. How does Krakauer classify Chris as opposed to the way most people saw him?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)