|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, Detrital Wash.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Krakauer classify Chris as opposed to the way most people saw him?
(a) As a classic example of a true Robinson Crusoe.
(b) As not very different from many idealistic, if short-sighted, young people.
(c) As mentally unbalanced.
(d) As a true hero others should look up to.
2. What problem did Killian have in contacting the authorities?
(a) The other people did not want him to contact the troopers because they did not want to get involved.
(b) It was difficult to find a place where radio signals could get through.
(c) His vehicle broke down and it took hours to fix.
(d) The ice broke on the river and left it more than a hundred yards wide.
3. Where did Jim Gallien first encounter Chris?
(a) In a cheap cafe on the outskirts of Fairbanks.
(b) In a hardware store in Fairbanks, Alaska.
(c) In the library at Fairbanks, Alaska.
(d) Hitchhiking about four miles outside of Fairbanks, Alaska.
4. Why did Chris write in his journal that hiking around Lake Meade was a mistake?
(a) There were no people anywhere around the lake.
(b) The heat was so intense that he became delirious.
(c) It was much larger than he anticipated.
(d) He had not been in a town where he could buy new boots.
5. What did Butch Killian want to do when he arrived on the bus scene where Chris had died?
(a) He wanted to form a search party to see if there was anyone else with the dead boy.
(b) He wanted to contact the media because it was a great story.
(c) He wanted to contact the state police to come and remove the body.
(d) He wanted to burn the bus to rid it of the smell.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Gallien notice about Chris's boots?
2. How had Chris already been separating himself from his family?
3. What does Krakauer think might have made the difference in Chris's survival?
4. What did Chris realize after he decided to abandon his once beloved Datsun?
5. What did Chris do after Westerberg was jailed?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)