|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, The Stampede Trail.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Chris tell Gallien his plans were?
(a) To hike from Mt. McKinley to the Gulf of Mexico.
(b) To write a book like Thoreau.
(c) To walk into the wilderness near Denali National Park to live off the land for several months.
(d) To hike as far north as he could go.
2. Why is the Stampede Trail still in use?
(a) People use it to hike to Mt. McKinley.
(b) It runs along side of the Alaska Pipeline.
(c) In the early 1960s, the trail was upgraded by Yutan Construction to an actual roadway.
(d) Campers and hunters keep using it instead of making a new one.
3. What does Krakauer think might have made the difference in Chris's survival?
(a) If he had not made one or two critical mistakes.
(b) If he had taken someone with him.
(c) If he had found a warmer shelter in Alaska.
(d) If he had brought along some brandy.
4. What is Krakauer's message by using the details of the moose hunter's trip to the bus?
(a) He breaks up the story to keep it interesting.
(b) He shows that even seasoned hunters must contend with the harsh elements of the northwest.
(c) He shows more about how beautiful the landscape is in that place.
(d) It is how he explains the difficulty in getting to the place where Chris died.
5. What happened when the moose hunters got to the bus where they plan to camp out?
(a) There was a pack of wolves surrounding the bus.
(b) The bus had been moved and they didn't know where to look for it.
(c) There was a terrible smell coming from inside the bus.
(d) The bus was a burned out shell.
Short Answer Questions
1. What message did Chris leave taped to the door of the bus?
2. Why does Krakauer include a narrative about moose hunters driving off-road trucks to get to the site Chris eventually found?
3. What is the tone of Krakauer's book?
4. What is the origin of the Stampede Trail?
5. How long did Chris survive in that hostile environment?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)