|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, The Stampede Trail.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Chris intend to hike?
(a) Along the Alaskan Pipeline.
(b) The Stampede Trail, a faint track in the wilderness well off the beaten path.
(c) Where no one had ever gone before.
(d) Southwestward into Canada.
2. What did Butch Killian want to do when he arrived on the bus scene where Chris had died?
(a) He wanted to contact the media because it was a great story.
(b) He wanted to contact the state police to come and remove the body.
(c) He wanted to form a search party to see if there was anyone else with the dead boy.
(d) He wanted to burn the bus to rid it of the smell.
3. What is Krakauer's message by using the details of the moose hunter's trip to the bus?
(a) He breaks up the story to keep it interesting.
(b) He shows more about how beautiful the landscape is in that place.
(c) It is how he explains the difficulty in getting to the place where Chris died.
(d) He shows that even seasoned hunters must contend with the harsh elements of the northwest.
4. Why was author Jon Krakauer interested in writing Chris's story?
(a) Krakauer recognized that Chris's story would be a sure-fire best seller and be made into a movie.
(b) Krakauer had nothing better to do at the time and thought he would enjoy visiting all the places Chris had gone.
(c) Krakauer wanted to pass judgement on Chris in the hopes of preventing another young man from doing the same.
(d) Krakauer identifies with McCandless's attraction to nature and to high-risk activities, and also understands the young man's troubled relationship with his father.
5. How long did Chris survive in that hostile environment?
(a) Six months.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Almost a year.
(d) Sixteen weeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Krakauer think might have made the difference in Chris's survival?
2. How does Krakauer classify Chris as opposed to the way most people saw him?
3. What was the official verdict on the cause of death?
4. What did Chris tell Gallien his plans were?
5. Where did Jim Gallien first encounter Chris?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)