|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, The Stampede Trail.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What device does Krakauer use to open Chapter 1 and subsequent chapters?
(a) A skull and cross bones.
(b) A drawing.
(c) A photograph.
(d) A quotation.
2. What problem did the authorities have after removing Chris's body?
(a) Identifying him.
(b) Finding enough tissue to autopsy.
(c) Keeping the body frozen.
(d) Getting the body to Fairbanks.
3. Why is the Stampede Trail still in use?
(a) Campers and hunters keep using it instead of making a new one.
(b) People use it to hike to Mt. McKinley.
(c) It runs along side of the Alaska Pipeline.
(d) In the early 1960s, the trail was upgraded by Yutan Construction to an actual roadway.
4. What was Chris carrying when he met Jim Gallien?
(a) A battered canoe.
(b) A small dog.
(c) A plastic bag of groceries.
(d) A rifle.
5. What strange actions did Chris take right after graduating college?
(a) He gave his car to his sister and took a bicycle to New York where he went to work on a merchant ship.
(b) He began a backpack trip that he hoped would eventually take him around the world.
(c) He gave away his entire savings to charity, abandoned his possessions, and became a drifter and wilderness explorer.
(d) He shot his father and spent the next three years on the run from the police.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the origin of the Stampede Trail?
2. Near what famous landmark did Chris McCandless die?
3. What is Krakauer's message by using the details of the moose hunter's trip to the bus?
4. What did Chris tell Gallien his plans were?
5. What do some people think about Chris McCandless?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)