|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, The Stampede Trail.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Krakauer's thesis about Chris?
(a) That no one had fully informed Chris about all the dangers he faced.
(b) That Chris was never in full command of his faculties.
(c) That Chris had been given misinformation that led to his doing the wrong things.
(d) That McCandless understood the risks he faced and came fully prepared to surmount them.
2. What problem did Killian have in contacting the authorities?
(a) The ice broke on the river and left it more than a hundred yards wide.
(b) His vehicle broke down and it took hours to fix.
(c) It was difficult to find a place where radio signals could get through.
(d) The other people did not want him to contact the troopers because they did not want to get involved.
3. What is the tone of Krakauer's book?
4. What is the origin of the Stampede Trail?
(a) The trail that originally led to Pilgrim's mining claims along Stampede Creek.
(b) A trail originally laid out by Virgil Stampede in the 1800s.
(c) A trail left when Stampede Creek changed its course.
(d) An old trail made by stampeding cattle.
5. What device does Krakauer use to open Chapter 1 and subsequent chapters?
(a) A drawing.
(b) A skull and cross bones.
(c) A quotation.
(d) A photograph.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the Stampede Trail still in use?
2. What did Butch Killian want to do when he arrived on the bus scene where Chris had died?
3. Where did Chris McCandless come from?
4. How did Chris introduce himself to Gallien?
5. How does Krakauer classify Chris as opposed to the way most people saw him?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)