|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, The Stampede Trail.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Butch Killian want to do when he arrived on the bus scene where Chris had died?
(a) He wanted to burn the bus to rid it of the smell.
(b) He wanted to form a search party to see if there was anyone else with the dead boy.
(c) He wanted to contact the state police to come and remove the body.
(d) He wanted to contact the media because it was a great story.
2. What did Gallien notice about Chris's boots?
(a) They were too large for his feet.
(b) They were lightweight and not waterproof.
(c) They were old and ripped out at the seams.
(d) They were designed for mountain climbing.
3. How does Chapter 1 begin?
(a) With a postcard written by McCandless, addressed to Wayne Westerberg in Carthage, South Dakota.
(b) With a letter Chris writes to his sister.
(c) With a conversation Chris has with an Inuit.
(d) With a description of the Alaskan wildeerness.
4. What did Chris tell Gallien his plans were?
(a) To hike as far north as he could go.
(b) To write a book like Thoreau.
(c) To hike from Mt. McKinley to the Gulf of Mexico.
(d) To walk into the wilderness near Denali National Park to live off the land for several months.
5. Why does Krakauer include a narrative about moose hunters driving off-road trucks to get to the site Chris eventually found?
(a) To provide a bit of humor against the tension of the story.
(b) To put a note of optimism into the story which sustains the suspense.
(c) To show the difficulties even well-equipped people have in this wilderness.
(d) To explain the existence of the bus where Chris stayed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Gallien think about Chris's weapon?
2. What is Krakauer's thesis about Chris?
3. Near what famous landmark did Chris McCandless die?
4. What does Krakauer think might have made the difference in Chris's survival?
5. Why was author Jon Krakauer interested in writing Chris's story?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)