|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, The Stampede Trail.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event happened in April 1992 that prompted the writing of Into The Wild?
(a) Christopher McCandless disappeared and no one ever knew what happened to him.
(b) An 80-year-old man called OUTSIDE Magazine to tell them about Chris McCandless.
(c) There was a volcano that killed a young man named Christopher McCandless.
(d) Christopher McCandless hitchhiked to Alaska and entered the wilderness north of Mt. McKinley and four months later, a party of hunters found his body.
2. What happened when the moose hunters got to the bus where they plan to camp out?
(a) There was a terrible smell coming from inside the bus.
(b) The bus was a burned out shell.
(c) There was a pack of wolves surrounding the bus.
(d) The bus had been moved and they didn't know where to look for it.
3. What was the official verdict on the cause of death?
(a) Lead poisoning.
(b) Punctured lungs.
4. What strange actions did Chris take right after graduating college?
(a) He gave his car to his sister and took a bicycle to New York where he went to work on a merchant ship.
(b) He shot his father and spent the next three years on the run from the police.
(c) He began a backpack trip that he hoped would eventually take him around the world.
(d) He gave away his entire savings to charity, abandoned his possessions, and became a drifter and wilderness explorer.
5. Why does Krakauer include a narrative about moose hunters driving off-road trucks to get to the site Chris eventually found?
(a) To show the difficulties even well-equipped people have in this wilderness.
(b) To explain the existence of the bus where Chris stayed.
(c) To provide a bit of humor against the tension of the story.
(d) To put a note of optimism into the story which sustains the suspense.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Krakauer include in the book besides events he uncovered from the life of Chris McCandless?
2. What does Krakauer think might have made the difference in Chris's survival?
3. What message did Chris leave taped to the door of the bus?
4. How does Krakauer classify Chris as opposed to the way most people saw him?
5. What did Gallien notice about Chris's boots?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)