|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, The Stampede Trail.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What appears to be Krakauer's main motive in writing Into The Wild?
(a) To win a Pulitzer Prize.
(b) To justify his own youth.
(c) To defend Chris McCandless from his critics.
(d) To sell it to the movies.
2. What message did Chris leave taped to the door of the bus?
(a) That he was near death.
(b) That he had staked a claim on this bus.
(c) That visitors were welcome.
(d) That he would return in an hour.
3. What event happened in April 1992 that prompted the writing of Into The Wild?
(a) There was a volcano that killed a young man named Christopher McCandless.
(b) Christopher McCandless disappeared and no one ever knew what happened to him.
(c) Christopher McCandless hitchhiked to Alaska and entered the wilderness north of Mt. McKinley and four months later, a party of hunters found his body.
(d) An 80-year-old man called OUTSIDE Magazine to tell them about Chris McCandless.
4. What did Gallien notice about Chris's boots?
(a) They were lightweight and not waterproof.
(b) They were old and ripped out at the seams.
(c) They were designed for mountain climbing.
(d) They were too large for his feet.
5. What device does Krakauer use to open Chapter 1 and subsequent chapters?
(a) A photograph.
(b) A skull and cross bones.
(c) A drawing.
(d) A quotation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What questions did Chris ask Gallien that impressed the older man?
2. What did Gallien know about city people who came to do what Chris had in mind?
3. What did Butch Killian want to do when he arrived on the bus scene where Chris had died?
4. What is Krakauer's thesis about Chris?
5. How does Krakauer classify Chris as opposed to the way most people saw him?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)