|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, The Stampede Trail.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Krakauer include in the book besides events he uncovered from the life of Chris McCandless?
(a) Adventures of several other young men.
(b) Some of his own experiences as a young man.
(c) Facts and figures from the U. S. Census Bureau.
(d) Some allusions to Huckelberry Finn.
2. What did Gallien know about city people who came to do what Chris had in mind?
(a) They quickly walked back to Fairbanks.
(b) Such greenhorns usually underestimated the wilderness to their own peril.
(c) They never got around to writing about their adventure.
(d) They usually gave up after three days.
3. What is Krakauer's message by using the details of the moose hunter's trip to the bus?
(a) He shows more about how beautiful the landscape is in that place.
(b) He shows that even seasoned hunters must contend with the harsh elements of the northwest.
(c) He breaks up the story to keep it interesting.
(d) It is how he explains the difficulty in getting to the place where Chris died.
4. What event happened in April 1992 that prompted the writing of Into The Wild?
(a) Christopher McCandless disappeared and no one ever knew what happened to him.
(b) Christopher McCandless hitchhiked to Alaska and entered the wilderness north of Mt. McKinley and four months later, a party of hunters found his body.
(c) There was a volcano that killed a young man named Christopher McCandless.
(d) An 80-year-old man called OUTSIDE Magazine to tell them about Chris McCandless.
5. What did Gallien think about Chris's weapon?
(a) It had no case to put it in for protection from the weather.
(b) It was badly in need of cleaning.
(c) It was difficult to carry.
(d) It was too small to be effective against large animals.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Chapter 1 begin?
2. What did Gallien notice about Chris's boots?
3. Why does Krakauer include a narrative about moose hunters driving off-road trucks to get to the site Chris eventually found?
4. What problem did Killian have in contacting the authorities?
5. Where did Chris intend to hike?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)