|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, The Alaska Interior.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Chris do with the $24,000 he had left over from his inheritance?
(a) He gave it to UNICEF.
(b) He donated it to OXFAM.
(c) He gave it to the Salvation Army.
(d) He gave it to his sister.
2. How do Waterman and Chris differ?
(a) Chris was afraid of the water and Waterman feared heights.
(b) Chris was able to make friends, Waterman was socially awkward.
(c) Chis was short and Waterman was very tall.
(d) Chris burned his money, but Waterman always had money with him.
3. Where did Chris intend to hike?
(a) Along the Alaskan Pipeline.
(b) Where no one had ever gone before.
(c) Southwestward into Canada.
(d) The Stampede Trail, a faint track in the wilderness well off the beaten path.
4. Why does Krakauer include a narrative about moose hunters driving off-road trucks to get to the site Chris eventually found?
(a) To provide a bit of humor against the tension of the story.
(b) To explain the existence of the bus where Chris stayed.
(c) To put a note of optimism into the story which sustains the suspense.
(d) To show the difficulties even well-equipped people have in this wilderness.
5. Why did Krakauer include so much about the McCandless family in Chapter 3?
(a) Just for conversation with Wayne Westerberg.
(b) To give the reader an idea that Chris might change his mind.
(c) To contrast them with the adoptive Westerberg family.
(d) To make Chris seem thoughtless and cold.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Chris meet Wayne Westerberg?
2. Who had left Chris a $40,000 inheritance for his school?
3. What is the origin of the Stampede Trail?
4. What important work does Walt McCandless do?
5. After Chris left home, why didnn't Carine get upset when he won't tell her where he was?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)