|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, The Alaska Interior.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What daunting challenge did Krakauer set for himself as a young man?
(a) To scale a mountain called the Devils Thumb alone.
(b) To prove that he is always right.
(c) To ski down Mt. McKinley.
(d) To find out how much terror he can stand.
2. What is the origin of the Stampede Trail?
(a) The trail that originally led to Pilgrim's mining claims along Stampede Creek.
(b) An old trail made by stampeding cattle.
(c) A trail left when Stampede Creek changed its course.
(d) A trail originally laid out by Virgil Stampede in the 1800s.
3. When did Jon Krakauer interview Walt McCandless?
(a) On what would have been Chris's birthday.
(b) Never. He would not speak with Krakauer.
(c) Seven weeks after Chris's body was recovered.
(d) A year after Chris died.
4. What story does Krakauer tell that resembles Chris's in many ways?
(a) The adventures of Edmund Scott.
(b) The loneliness of Henry David Thoreau.
(c) The troubles of Carl Jennings.
(d) The life of John Mallon Waterman.
5. At which stop did Chris remain for the longest time?
(a) In Bullhead City, Arizona.
(b) On the coast in Oregon.
(c) Back at the Westenberg's house.
(d) In Fairbanks, Alaska.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is prominently displayed in Carine McCandless's home?
2. After dropping Chris off, why did Gallien decide not to notify the authorities?
3. Where did Jim Gallien first encounter Chris?
4. Racing against a storm, Krakauer reaches the summit of the Thumb. How does he describe it?
5. What problem did the authorities have after removing Chris's body?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)