|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, The Alaska Interior.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Chris travel the 1,000 miles from Laird, Alaska, to Fairbanks?
(a) Jim Gallien gave him a lift.
(b) A truck driver named Gaylord Stuckey picked him up.
(c) He walked most of the way.
(d) Hitchhiking, he got a series of rides.
2. Why is the Stampede Trail still in use?
(a) In the early 1960s, the trail was upgraded by Yutan Construction to an actual roadway.
(b) It runs along side of the Alaska Pipeline.
(c) Campers and hunters keep using it instead of making a new one.
(d) People use it to hike to Mt. McKinley.
3. What did Krakauer do similar to what Chris did when he needed to go to the village of Petersberg?
(a) He abandoned his car.
(b) He sent postcards to friends.
(c) He burned his money.
(d) He bought a big bag of rice.
4. Who gave Krakauer dinner and a place to sleep in Petersberg?
(a) A drifter named Jan Buress.
(b) A policeman offered him a jail cell.
(c) The captain of a tuna fishing boat.
(d) A kind woman named Kai Sandburn.
5. In regards to family, how do Ruess and Chris compare?
(a) They both were alienated from their families.
(b) Like Chris, Ruess felt his family supported his travels.
(c) Ruess seemed to be on good relations with his family unlike Chris.
(d) Ruess and Chris both missed their families as they traveled.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Gallien notice about Chris's boots?
2. How did Walt and Billie McCandless learn in Chapter 4 where their son might be?
3. When Krakauer was at the mountain he came to climb, what enhanced his emotions?
4. What did Chris make at Franz's house?
5. Why does Krakauer include a narrative about moose hunters driving off-road trucks to get to the site Chris eventually found?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)