|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, The Alaska Interior.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Chris's plan for after college that he did not tell his family?
(a) He planed to commit suicide.
(b) He planed to marry a girl his parents did not approve of.
(c) He planed to go on an indefinite road trip.
(d) He planed to go live in Mexico.
2. What steps did Walt and Billie take to find Chris?
(a) They went on TV begging Chris to come home.
(b) They hired a private investigator.
(c) They got the police to put out an APB on Chris.
(d) They took a trip to Eureka, California.
3. Why does Krakauer include a narrative about moose hunters driving off-road trucks to get to the site Chris eventually found?
(a) To explain the existence of the bus where Chris stayed.
(b) To put a note of optimism into the story which sustains the suspense.
(c) To show the difficulties even well-equipped people have in this wilderness.
(d) To provide a bit of humor against the tension of the story.
4. What did Krakauer do similar to what Chris did when he needed to go to the village of Petersberg?
(a) He bought a big bag of rice.
(b) He burned his money.
(c) He sent postcards to friends.
(d) He abandoned his car.
5. What did Chris tell Gallien his plans were?
(a) To write a book like Thoreau.
(b) To walk into the wilderness near Denali National Park to live off the land for several months.
(c) To hike as far north as he could go.
(d) To hike from Mt. McKinley to the Gulf of Mexico.
Short Answer Questions
1. After surviving 10 years living off the land, what became of Rosellini?
2. At what point did Chris stop writing in his journal?
3. What comment does Krakauer make about Chris's fondness for Jack London?
4. To whom did Chris send a postcard from Bullhead City?
5. Why did Chris write in his journal that hiking around Lake Meade was a mistake?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)