|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, The Alaska Interior.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Chris corresponded with his sister, what did he confide to her?
(a) That he would see her by Christmas time.
(b) That he was tired of being on the run all the time.
(c) That he would surprise them all and come home.
(d) That he planned to lull his parents into a false sense of security then cut them out of his life abruptly and decisively.
2. Still calling himself by another name, Chris met two drifters who befriend him. Who were they?
(a) Martha Burres and her son Tom.
(b) Betty Burres and her father Edgar.
(c) Jane Burres and her nephew Fred.
(d) Jan Burres and her boyfriend Bob.
3. What is The Slabs?
(a) A flat, rocky area in the Arizona desert.
(b) A settlement of people who erect their tents on concrete slabs.
(c) An abandoned military base where drifters come during the winter.
(d) An old U. S. Calvary outpost.
4. How does Krakauer answer Chris's critics?
(a) He challenges anyone to do it better than Chris did.
(b) He maintains that Chris knew what he was doing and almost made it.
(c) Krakauer cites several examples of marginal individuals who have died in the Alaskan wilderness, presenting the details of their cases to show that McCandless was not the typical foolish greenhorn.
(d) He shows how Chris would have survived had it not been for an accident.
5. What did Chris do with the $24,000 he had left over from his inheritance?
(a) He gave it to his sister.
(b) He donated it to OXFAM.
(c) He gave it to the Salvation Army.
(d) He gave it to UNICEF.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Chris live while he was in Carthage?
2. During an interview with Krakauer, what does Westerberg say about Chris?
3. What work did Chris (Alex) do while he stayed with Jan and Bob at The Slabs?
4. What gift did Walt give Billie after the birth of Chris?
5. Although Waterman became something of a local hero, what job did he have in Fairbanks?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)