|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Bullhead City.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what way did Chris exhibit a double standard about money?
(a) He borrowed money that he knew he could never repay.
(b) He refused to take money for the work he did, but accepted goods that probably cost as much.
(c) He now wanted to collect all the money he could to outfit himself for Alaska.
(d) He refused to let Jan drive him to pick up his last check at McDonald's.
2. What is The Slabs?
(a) An old U. S. Calvary outpost.
(b) A settlement of people who erect their tents on concrete slabs.
(c) A flat, rocky area in the Arizona desert.
(d) An abandoned military base where drifters come during the winter.
3. What comment does Krakauer make about Chris's fondness for Jack London?
(a) That London had never actually been in Alaska.
(b) That London lectured against doing exactly what Chris was doing.
(c) That Chris did not recognize London's lifestyle was different from the people he wrote about.
(d) That London's books had all been proven to be false.
4. Why is the Stampede Trail still in use?
(a) People use it to hike to Mt. McKinley.
(b) Campers and hunters keep using it instead of making a new one.
(c) It runs along side of the Alaska Pipeline.
(d) In the early 1960s, the trail was upgraded by Yutan Construction to an actual roadway.
5. What did Butch Killian want to do when he arrived on the bus scene where Chris had died?
(a) He wanted to contact the media because it was a great story.
(b) He wanted to form a search party to see if there was anyone else with the dead boy.
(c) He wanted to burn the bus to rid it of the smell.
(d) He wanted to contact the state police to come and remove the body.
Short Answer Questions
1. What message did Chris leave taped to the door of the bus?
2. What questions did Chris ask Gallien that impressed the older man?
3. What is the origin of the Stampede Trail?
4. What prevented Jan and Bob from going to Bullhead City to pick Chris up?
5. What was Chris carrying when he met Jim Gallien?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)