|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, Chesapeake Beach.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Krakauer include a narrative about moose hunters driving off-road trucks to get to the site Chris eventually found?
(a) To put a note of optimism into the story which sustains the suspense.
(b) To explain the existence of the bus where Chris stayed.
(c) To provide a bit of humor against the tension of the story.
(d) To show the difficulties even well-equipped people have in this wilderness.
2. What gift did Walt give Billie after the birth of Chris?
(a) A vacation in Paris.
(b) The Gianni guitar that was left in the yellow Datson.
(c) A 3-carat diamond ring.
(d) A leather bound copy of Leaves of Grass.
3. Still calling himself by another name, Chris met two drifters who befriend him. Who were they?
(a) Betty Burres and her father Edgar.
(b) Jane Burres and her nephew Fred.
(c) Jan Burres and her boyfriend Bob.
(d) Martha Burres and her son Tom.
4. What story does Krakauer tell that resembles Chris's in many ways?
(a) The adventures of Edmund Scott.
(b) The life of John Mallon Waterman.
(c) The troubles of Carl Jennings.
(d) The loneliness of Henry David Thoreau.
5. What was the official verdict on the cause of death?
(a) Punctured lungs.
(d) Lead poisoning.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Chris's canoe trip eventually take him after going as far as he could down the Colorado River?
2. How does Krakauer answer Chris's critics?
3. In October of 1990, National Park Ranger, what did Bud Walsh discover?
4. What response does Krakauer report that he got from his OUTSIDE Magazine article on Chris?
5. What did Chris make at Franz's house?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)