|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, Chesapeake Beach.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Impressed with Chris's intelligence, what did Franz try to get him to do?
(a) Clean up and get a good job.
(b) Start teaching young people.
(c) Get an education.
(d) Write a book about his travels.
2. What human contact did Chris have as he hikeed West from Lake Mead?
(a) Men working on an oil drilling rig.
(b) People in a small village.
(c) A troop of Boy Scouts.
(d) A few vagabonds and some law officers.
3. After surviving 10 years living off the land, what became of Rosellini?
(a) He went on the lecture tour.
(b) He commited suicide and left no note.
(c) He traveled around the world backpacking.
(d) He settled down in a small town and raised a family.
4. What parallel does Krakauer draw between Chris and Carl McCunn?
(a) McCunn died in the Alaskan wilderness because of an oversight just as Chris did.
(b) Both of them were serious dropouts from society.
(c) Both Chris and McCunn were gainfully employed when they went on their fatal trips.
(d) Like Chris, McCunn ruined his camera in the Alaskan wilderness.
5. What does Krakauer suggest shows that Chris was not mentally ill?
(a) He had studied up on edible plants in America.
(b) Chris had no illusion that someone would come to save him.
(c) He had decided this would be his last adventure.
(d) He wrote lucidly in his journal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Krakauer's thesis about Chris?
2. What unusual political action did Waterman take after his climb?
3. What problem did Killian have in contacting the authorities?
4. Why did Chris adopt the name Alex Burres?
5. What did Chris do on frequent visits to Franz's apartment in Salton City?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)