|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, Chesapeake Beach.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Alex stay outside of Salton City?
(a) Anza-Borrego Desert State Park.
(b) Right at Oh-My-God Hot Springs.
(c) Palm Springs.
(d) Joshua Tree National Park.
2. What news seriously alarmed Jan Burres?
(a) That Alex never intended to see any of his family again.
(b) That Alex had burned the last of his money when he abandoned his car.
(c) That Alex was wanted by the Nevada police.
(d) That Alex might be a serial killer.
3. Why does Krakauer include a narrative about moose hunters driving off-road trucks to get to the site Chris eventually found?
(a) To show the difficulties even well-equipped people have in this wilderness.
(b) To put a note of optimism into the story which sustains the suspense.
(c) To explain the existence of the bus where Chris stayed.
(d) To provide a bit of humor against the tension of the story.
4. What effect had Chris had on Ronald Franz?
(a) He started taking in every drifter he saw.
(b) He sold his possessions and lived in a mobile camper.
(c) He became an alcoholic.
(d) He started going back to church.
5. What did Butch Killian want to do when he arrived on the bus scene where Chris had died?
(a) He wanted to contact the media because it was a great story.
(b) He wanted to contact the state police to come and remove the body.
(c) He wanted to form a search party to see if there was anyone else with the dead boy.
(d) He wanted to burn the bus to rid it of the smell.
Short Answer Questions
1. Still calling himself by another name, Chris met two drifters who befriend him. Who were they?
2. What problem did Killian have in contacting the authorities?
3. Although Waterman became something of a local hero, what job did he have in Fairbanks?
4. Why is the Stampede Trail still in use?
5. Where did Chris's canoe trip eventually take him after going as far as he could down the Colorado River?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)