|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, Chesapeake Beach.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened when the moose hunters got to the bus where they plan to camp out?
(a) There was a terrible smell coming from inside the bus.
(b) The bus had been moved and they didn't know where to look for it.
(c) The bus was a burned out shell.
(d) There was a pack of wolves surrounding the bus.
2. How did Walt and Billie McCandless learn in Chapter 4 where their son might be?
(a) They saw him on a newscast on TV.
(b) They received a ticket issued to their son for hitchhiking near Eureka, California.
(c) Jan Burres called them.
(d) One of Chris's high school friends got a call from Chris.
3. How does Krakauer answer Chris's critics?
(a) He shows how Chris would have survived had it not been for an accident.
(b) He maintains that Chris knew what he was doing and almost made it.
(c) Krakauer cites several examples of marginal individuals who have died in the Alaskan wilderness, presenting the details of their cases to show that McCandless was not the typical foolish greenhorn.
(d) He challenges anyone to do it better than Chris did.
4. What symbol is ironic on the leather belt?
(a) A serpent head baring its fangs.
(b) Chris's initials surrounded by a scull and crossbones.
(c) A tombstone marked R.I.P.
(d) A raised fist.
5. What effect had Chris had on Ronald Franz?
(a) He started going back to church.
(b) He became an alcoholic.
(c) He sold his possessions and lived in a mobile camper.
(d) He started taking in every drifter he saw.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the official verdict on the cause of death?
2. What feat did Waterman achieve in 1978?
3. Where did Chris's canoe trip eventually take him after going as far as he could down the Colorado River?
4. When did Jon Krakauer interview Walt McCandless?
5. What important work does Walt McCandless do?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)