|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, Chesapeake Beach.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Chris get to San Francisco?
(a) He had enough money for a bus ticket.
(b) Franz drove him there.
(c) He hitchhiked.
(d) He rode on a vegetable truck he helped load up.
2. How does Krakauer answer Chris's critics?
(a) Krakauer cites several examples of marginal individuals who have died in the Alaskan wilderness, presenting the details of their cases to show that McCandless was not the typical foolish greenhorn.
(b) He challenges anyone to do it better than Chris did.
(c) He shows how Chris would have survived had it not been for an accident.
(d) He maintains that Chris knew what he was doing and almost made it.
3. Where did Chris's canoe trip eventually take him after going as far as he could down the Colorado River?
(a) He ended up staying with a Mexican family for six weeks.
(b) He retraced his way back upstream.
(c) Some duck hunters agreed to drive him to the Gulf of California.
(d) He headed South and ended up in Acapulco.
4. What was the similar experience that led to both of these stories of drop out and adventure?
(a) Both of them drove Yellow Datsons.
(b) Both of them graduated from Emory University.
(c) Both of them had issues with their family life.
(d) Both of them were classical musicians.
5. What did Chris realize after he decided to abandon his once beloved Datsun?
(a) That he was free from material possessions that tie him down.
(b) That it would be impossible to continue without a car.
(c) That he needed better hiking shoes since he was now walking.
(d) That he missed his family and wanted to go home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Butch Killian want to do when he arrived on the bus scene where Chris had died?
2. What is Krakauer's thesis about Chris?
3. What was the official verdict on the cause of death?
4. Why did Chris decide to go to San Diego?
5. What was in the McCandless house that speaks to the feelings of Walt and Billie McCandless toward Chris?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)