|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, The Stikine Ice Cap.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Chris and Ruess each do shortly before their deaths?
(a) Burn their money.
(b) Dig their graves.
(c) Write out a will.
(d) Post several letters.
2. What similar classic books are favorites of Ruess and Chris?
(a) Great Expectations and Gone With the Wind.
(b) Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea and Moby Dick.
(c) Look Homeward Angel and Lassie Come Home.
(d) Call of the Wild and Around the World in Eighty Days.
3. When Krakauer was at the mountain he came to climb, what enhanced his emotions?
(a) The beauty of the snowy terrain and clear sky was intensified for him by his solitude.
(b) The clean air which gave him an oxygen high.
(c) The cheers of the people who came to see him off.
(d) Two sturdy aluminum curtain rods with him, lashed in a cross shape, to prevent him from falling into a crevasse.
4. What does Ruess's biographer, Ken Sleight, believe happened to Ruess?
(a) Ruess changed his name and disappeared.
(b) Accidental drowning.
(c) Falling from a cliff.
(d) A robbery and murder.
5. What alias did Ruess carve on the walls of the canyon?
(c) Yosemite Sam.
Short Answer Questions
1. After a semester at UCLA and a winter in San Francisco, what did Ruess do?
2. What steps did Walt and Billie take to find Chris?
3. In October of 1990, National Park Ranger, what did Bud Walsh discover?
4. Why did Christ steal a bicycle in Northern California?
5. What did Chris do after Westerberg was jailed?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)