|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, The Stikine Ice Cap.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Walt and Billie McCandless learn in Chapter 4 where their son might be?
(a) One of Chris's high school friends got a call from Chris.
(b) They saw him on a newscast on TV.
(c) Jan Burres called them.
(d) They received a ticket issued to their son for hitchhiking near Eureka, California.
2. When Krakauer reached an impassable place on the mountain, what did he do?
(a) He started traveling horizontally on the mountain.
(b) There was nothing to do but descend.
(c) He sat down and cried.
(d) He radioed for help.
3. In October of 1990, National Park Ranger, what did Bud Walsh discover?
(a) Evidence of a camp in a restricted area.
(b) Chris's old yellow Datsun that had been abandoned.
(c) A backpack with $123 stuffed inside it.
(d) A rifle that had been buried.
4. Who gave Krakauer dinner and a place to sleep in Petersberg?
(a) A policeman offered him a jail cell.
(b) A kind woman named Kai Sandburn.
(c) A drifter named Jan Buress.
(d) The captain of a tuna fishing boat.
5. What does Ruess's biographer, Ken Sleight, believe happened to Ruess?
(a) Falling from a cliff.
(b) A robbery and murder.
(c) Accidental drowning.
(d) Ruess changed his name and disappeared.
Short Answer Questions
1. What alias did Ruess carve on the walls of the canyon?
2. When Krakauer was at the mountain he came to climb, what enhanced his emotions?
3. What did Chris do after Westerberg was jailed?
4. Still calling himself by another name, Chris met two drifters who befriend him. Who were they?
5. What did Chris and Ruess each do shortly before their deaths?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)