|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, The Stikine Ice Cap.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Krakauer devote Chapter 9 to the story of Everett Ruess?
(a) Krakauer wants to show how different Ruess is from Chris.
(b) Karkauer wants to expand the scope of his thesis.
(c) Krakauer sees great similarities between Ruess and Chris.
(d) Krakauer wants to demonstrate mental illness in Ruess.
2. What group of Irish aesthetics does Krakauer include in Chapter 9?
(a) St Patrick monks.
(b) The Celtic travelers.
(c) The highlanders.
(d) The papar.
3. What human contact did Chris have as he hikeed West from Lake Mead?
(a) People in a small village.
(b) Men working on an oil drilling rig.
(c) A troop of Boy Scouts.
(d) A few vagabonds and some law officers.
4. What daunting challenge did Krakauer set for himself as a young man?
(a) To scale a mountain called the Devils Thumb alone.
(b) To prove that he is always right.
(c) To find out how much terror he can stand.
(d) To ski down Mt. McKinley.
5. In regards to family, how do Ruess and Chris compare?
(a) Ruess and Chris both missed their families as they traveled.
(b) Like Chris, Ruess felt his family supported his travels.
(c) Ruess seemed to be on good relations with his family unlike Chris.
(d) They both were alienated from their families.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of people did Ruess like to spend time with?
2. Who gave Krakauer dinner and a place to sleep in Petersberg?
3. What alias did Ruess carve on the walls of the canyon?
4. What did Chris realize after he decided to abandon his once beloved Datsun?
5. Why does Krakauer relate his own experiences in Chapter 14?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)