|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, The Stikine Ice Cap.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Chris do after Westerberg was jailed?
(a) He stayed with Westerberg's family until he got out.
(b) He headed north to Alaska.
(c) He kept himself hidden because the police might have been looking for him.
(d) He hitchhiked to Needles, California, then walked through the desert to Topock, Arizona.
2. What did Krakauer do similar to what Chris did when he needed to go to the village of Petersberg?
(a) He burned his money.
(b) He abandoned his car.
(c) He sent postcards to friends.
(d) He bought a big bag of rice.
3. When Krakauer was at the mountain he came to climb, what enhanced his emotions?
(a) The clean air which gave him an oxygen high.
(b) The cheers of the people who came to see him off.
(c) Two sturdy aluminum curtain rods with him, lashed in a cross shape, to prevent him from falling into a crevasse.
(d) The beauty of the snowy terrain and clear sky was intensified for him by his solitude.
4. How did Walt and Billie McCandless learn in Chapter 4 where their son might be?
(a) They saw him on a newscast on TV.
(b) They received a ticket issued to their son for hitchhiking near Eureka, California.
(c) Jan Burres called them.
(d) One of Chris's high school friends got a call from Chris.
5. Why did Chris write in his journal that hiking around Lake Meade was a mistake?
(a) It was much larger than he anticipated.
(b) There were no people anywhere around the lake.
(c) He had not been in a town where he could buy new boots.
(d) The heat was so intense that he became delirious.
Short Answer Questions
1. What human contact did Chris have as he hikeed West from Lake Mead?
2. What daunting challenge did Krakauer set for himself as a young man?
3. What did Chris and Ruess each do shortly before their deaths?
4. What did Chris realize after he decided to abandon his once beloved Datsun?
5. What is Davis Gulch?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)