|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, The Stikine Ice Cap.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What steps did Walt and Billie take to find Chris?
(a) They hired a private investigator.
(b) They went on TV begging Chris to come home.
(c) They got the police to put out an APB on Chris.
(d) They took a trip to Eureka, California.
2. Why did Christ steal a bicycle in Northern California?
(a) He had always wanted a bike like that.
(b) He was delirious at the time and did not know what he was doing.
(c) The man he worked for refused to pay him.
(d) He intended to return and pay for it.
3. After a semester at UCLA and a winter in San Francisco, what did Ruess do?
(a) Looking for someone to join his nature walks.
(b) Studying photography.
(c) Keeping a journal that was published after his death.
(d) Spent the rest of his days backpacking and sleeping on the ground.
4. Why did Chris write in his journal that hiking around Lake Meade was a mistake?
(a) It was much larger than he anticipated.
(b) The heat was so intense that he became delirious.
(c) He had not been in a town where he could buy new boots.
(d) There were no people anywhere around the lake.
5. What human contact did Chris have as he hikeed West from Lake Mead?
(a) People in a small village.
(b) A few vagabonds and some law officers.
(c) A troop of Boy Scouts.
(d) Men working on an oil drilling rig.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Chris do after Westerberg was jailed?
2. Why did Chris adopt the name Alex Burres?
3. What type of people did Ruess like to spend time with?
4. How did Walt and Billie McCandless learn in Chapter 4 where their son might be?
5. What daunting challenge did Krakauer set for himself as a young man?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)