|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, The Stikine Ice Cap.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Krakauer was at the mountain he came to climb, what enhanced his emotions?
(a) The clean air which gave him an oxygen high.
(b) The beauty of the snowy terrain and clear sky was intensified for him by his solitude.
(c) Two sturdy aluminum curtain rods with him, lashed in a cross shape, to prevent him from falling into a crevasse.
(d) The cheers of the people who came to see him off.
2. In regards to family, how do Ruess and Chris compare?
(a) Like Chris, Ruess felt his family supported his travels.
(b) Ruess and Chris both missed their families as they traveled.
(c) Ruess seemed to be on good relations with his family unlike Chris.
(d) They both were alienated from their families.
3. What did Chris do after Westerberg was jailed?
(a) He headed north to Alaska.
(b) He stayed with Westerberg's family until he got out.
(c) He hitchhiked to Needles, California, then walked through the desert to Topock, Arizona.
(d) He kept himself hidden because the police might have been looking for him.
4. When Krakauer reached an impassable place on the mountain, what did he do?
(a) He radioed for help.
(b) He started traveling horizontally on the mountain.
(c) He sat down and cried.
(d) There was nothing to do but descend.
5. What news seriously alarmed Jan Burres?
(a) That Alex had burned the last of his money when he abandoned his car.
(b) That Alex was wanted by the Nevada police.
(c) That Alex never intended to see any of his family again.
(d) That Alex might be a serial killer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Krakauer devote Chapter 9 to the story of Everett Ruess?
2. What did Krakauer do similar to what Chris did when he needed to go to the village of Petersberg?
3. After a semester at UCLA and a winter in San Francisco, what did Ruess do?
4. What daunting challenge did Krakauer set for himself as a young man?
5. How did Walt and Billie McCandless learn in Chapter 4 where their son might be?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)