|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, The Stikine Ice Cap.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Chris adopt the name Alex Burres?
(a) He took it when people thought he was Jan's son.
(b) He realized he needed a second name.
(c) He liked the initials AB.
(d) He became a surrogate for Jan Burres's estranged son.
2. What type of people did Ruess like to spend time with?
(a) Photographers and painters.
(b) Vagabonds and drifters.
(c) Native Americans and Russians.
(d) Hikers and rafters.
3. What daunting challenge did Krakauer set for himself as a young man?
(a) To prove that he is always right.
(b) To scale a mountain called the Devils Thumb alone.
(c) To find out how much terror he can stand.
(d) To ski down Mt. McKinley.
4. What alias did Ruess carve on the walls of the canyon?
(c) Yosemite Sam.
5. What did Krakauer do similar to what Chris did when he needed to go to the village of Petersberg?
(a) He sent postcards to friends.
(b) He bought a big bag of rice.
(c) He burned his money.
(d) He abandoned his car.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Krakauer relate his own experiences in Chapter 14?
2. What did Chris and Ruess each do shortly before their deaths?
3. Who had carved a passage from the creek up to the dry gulch?
4. What did Chris realize after he decided to abandon his once beloved Datsun?
5. Why did Christ steal a bicycle in Northern California?
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)