|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, The Stikine Ice Cap.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Chris realize after he decided to abandon his once beloved Datsun?
(a) That he needed better hiking shoes since he was now walking.
(b) That it would be impossible to continue without a car.
(c) That he missed his family and wanted to go home.
(d) That he was free from material possessions that tie him down.
2. How did Walt and Billie McCandless learn in Chapter 4 where their son might be?
(a) One of Chris's high school friends got a call from Chris.
(b) Jan Burres called them.
(c) They received a ticket issued to their son for hitchhiking near Eureka, California.
(d) They saw him on a newscast on TV.
3. Still calling himself by another name, Chris met two drifters who befriend him. Who were they?
(a) Jane Burres and her nephew Fred.
(b) Betty Burres and her father Edgar.
(c) Martha Burres and her son Tom.
(d) Jan Burres and her boyfriend Bob.
4. What alias did Ruess carve on the walls of the canyon?
(c) Yosemite Sam.
5. What did Chris do after Westerberg was jailed?
(a) He headed north to Alaska.
(b) He hitchhiked to Needles, California, then walked through the desert to Topock, Arizona.
(c) He kept himself hidden because the police might have been looking for him.
(d) He stayed with Westerberg's family until he got out.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Chris write in his journal that hiking around Lake Meade was a mistake?
2. In regards to family, how do Ruess and Chris compare?
3. What did Krakauer do similar to what Chris did when he needed to go to the village of Petersberg?
4. Where did Chris's canoe trip eventually take him after going as far as he could down the Colorado River?
5. Who had carved a passage from the creek up to the dry gulch?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)