|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, The Stikine Ice Cap.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What steps did Walt and Billie take to find Chris?
(a) They took a trip to Eureka, California.
(b) They went on TV begging Chris to come home.
(c) They got the police to put out an APB on Chris.
(d) They hired a private investigator.
2. Where did Chris's canoe trip eventually take him after going as far as he could down the Colorado River?
(a) Some duck hunters agreed to drive him to the Gulf of California.
(b) He ended up staying with a Mexican family for six weeks.
(c) He headed South and ended up in Acapulco.
(d) He retraced his way back upstream.
3. What human contact did Chris have as he hikeed West from Lake Mead?
(a) A troop of Boy Scouts.
(b) People in a small village.
(c) A few vagabonds and some law officers.
(d) Men working on an oil drilling rig.
4. What is Davis Gulch?
(a) An extension of the Grand Canyon.
(b) A cattle passage through western Utah.
(c) A valley that has only one way in and out.
(d) A watery oasis in the midst of southern Utah.
5. When Krakauer was at the mountain he came to climb, what enhanced his emotions?
(a) Two sturdy aluminum curtain rods with him, lashed in a cross shape, to prevent him from falling into a crevasse.
(b) The clean air which gave him an oxygen high.
(c) The beauty of the snowy terrain and clear sky was intensified for him by his solitude.
(d) The cheers of the people who came to see him off.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gave Krakauer dinner and a place to sleep in Petersberg?
2. What did Krakauer do similar to what Chris did when he needed to go to the village of Petersberg?
3. What daunting challenge did Krakauer set for himself as a young man?
4. What did Chris and Ruess each do shortly before their deaths?
5. When Krakauer reached an impassable place on the mountain, what did he do?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)