|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, The Stikine Ice Cap.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Davis Gulch?
(a) A watery oasis in the midst of southern Utah.
(b) A cattle passage through western Utah.
(c) A valley that has only one way in and out.
(d) An extension of the Grand Canyon.
2. What did Chris and Ruess each do shortly before their deaths?
(a) Dig their graves.
(b) Burn their money.
(c) Post several letters.
(d) Write out a will.
3. What similar classic books are favorites of Ruess and Chris?
(a) Look Homeward Angel and Lassie Come Home.
(b) Great Expectations and Gone With the Wind.
(c) Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea and Moby Dick.
(d) Call of the Wild and Around the World in Eighty Days.
4. Where did Chris's canoe trip eventually take him after going as far as he could down the Colorado River?
(a) Some duck hunters agreed to drive him to the Gulf of California.
(b) He headed South and ended up in Acapulco.
(c) He ended up staying with a Mexican family for six weeks.
(d) He retraced his way back upstream.
5. Why did Chris write in his journal that hiking around Lake Meade was a mistake?
(a) It was much larger than he anticipated.
(b) There were no people anywhere around the lake.
(c) The heat was so intense that he became delirious.
(d) He had not been in a town where he could buy new boots.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Krakauer relate his own experiences in Chapter 14?
2. What does Ruess's biographer, Ken Sleight, believe happened to Ruess?
3. What did Chris realize after he decided to abandon his once beloved Datsun?
4. When Krakauer reached an impassable place on the mountain, what did he do?
5. What group of Irish aesthetics does Krakauer include in Chapter 9?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)