|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, The Stikine Ice Cap.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What alias did Ruess carve on the walls of the canyon?
(a) Yosemite Sam.
2. What similar classic books are favorites of Ruess and Chris?
(a) Look Homeward Angel and Lassie Come Home.
(b) Call of the Wild and Around the World in Eighty Days.
(c) Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea and Moby Dick.
(d) Great Expectations and Gone With the Wind.
3. What steps did Walt and Billie take to find Chris?
(a) They went on TV begging Chris to come home.
(b) They hired a private investigator.
(c) They took a trip to Eureka, California.
(d) They got the police to put out an APB on Chris.
4. What daunting challenge did Krakauer set for himself as a young man?
(a) To find out how much terror he can stand.
(b) To ski down Mt. McKinley.
(c) To scale a mountain called the Devils Thumb alone.
(d) To prove that he is always right.
5. What type of people did Ruess like to spend time with?
(a) Photographers and painters.
(b) Vagabonds and drifters.
(c) Hikers and rafters.
(d) Native Americans and Russians.
Short Answer Questions
1. What group of Irish aesthetics does Krakauer include in Chapter 9?
2. In regards to family, how do Ruess and Chris compare?
3. Why did Chris write in his journal that hiking around Lake Meade was a mistake?
4. What does Ruess's biographer, Ken Sleight, believe happened to Ruess?
5. Where did Chris's canoe trip eventually take him after going as far as he could down the Colorado River?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)