|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, The Stikine Ice Cap.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Davis Gulch?
(a) A valley that has only one way in and out.
(b) An extension of the Grand Canyon.
(c) A watery oasis in the midst of southern Utah.
(d) A cattle passage through western Utah.
2. Who gave Krakauer dinner and a place to sleep in Petersberg?
(a) A drifter named Jan Buress.
(b) A kind woman named Kai Sandburn.
(c) A policeman offered him a jail cell.
(d) The captain of a tuna fishing boat.
3. What type of people did Ruess like to spend time with?
(a) Native Americans and Russians.
(b) Photographers and painters.
(c) Hikers and rafters.
(d) Vagabonds and drifters.
4. What human contact did Chris have as he hikeed West from Lake Mead?
(a) People in a small village.
(b) Men working on an oil drilling rig.
(c) A few vagabonds and some law officers.
(d) A troop of Boy Scouts.
5. In October of 1990, National Park Ranger, what did Bud Walsh discover?
(a) A rifle that had been buried.
(b) Evidence of a camp in a restricted area.
(c) Chris's old yellow Datsun that had been abandoned.
(d) A backpack with $123 stuffed inside it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news seriously alarmed Jan Burres?
2. What similar classic books are favorites of Ruess and Chris?
3. Why did Chris adopt the name Alex Burres?
4. Where did Chris's canoe trip eventually take him after going as far as he could down the Colorado River?
5. Still calling himself by another name, Chris met two drifters who befriend him. Who were they?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)