|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, The Stikine Ice Cap.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Krakauer do similar to what Chris did when he needed to go to the village of Petersberg?
(a) He bought a big bag of rice.
(b) He abandoned his car.
(c) He sent postcards to friends.
(d) He burned his money.
2. Where did Chris's canoe trip eventually take him after going as far as he could down the Colorado River?
(a) He ended up staying with a Mexican family for six weeks.
(b) Some duck hunters agreed to drive him to the Gulf of California.
(c) He retraced his way back upstream.
(d) He headed South and ended up in Acapulco.
3. Why did Chris write in his journal that hiking around Lake Meade was a mistake?
(a) The heat was so intense that he became delirious.
(b) He had not been in a town where he could buy new boots.
(c) There were no people anywhere around the lake.
(d) It was much larger than he anticipated.
4. What alias did Ruess carve on the walls of the canyon?
(d) Yosemite Sam.
5. In October of 1990, National Park Ranger, what did Bud Walsh discover?
(a) A rifle that had been buried.
(b) Evidence of a camp in a restricted area.
(c) A backpack with $123 stuffed inside it.
(d) Chris's old yellow Datsun that had been abandoned.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Chris realize after he decided to abandon his once beloved Datsun?
2. Who had carved a passage from the creek up to the dry gulch?
3. What daunting challenge did Krakauer set for himself as a young man?
4. What does Ruess's biographer, Ken Sleight, believe happened to Ruess?
5. After a semester at UCLA and a winter in San Francisco, what did Ruess do?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)