|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, The Stikine Ice Cap.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Walt and Billie McCandless learn in Chapter 4 where their son might be?
(a) Jan Burres called them.
(b) They saw him on a newscast on TV.
(c) They received a ticket issued to their son for hitchhiking near Eureka, California.
(d) One of Chris's high school friends got a call from Chris.
2. In regards to family, how do Ruess and Chris compare?
(a) Ruess seemed to be on good relations with his family unlike Chris.
(b) They both were alienated from their families.
(c) Like Chris, Ruess felt his family supported his travels.
(d) Ruess and Chris both missed their families as they traveled.
3. Still calling himself by another name, Chris met two drifters who befriend him. Who were they?
(a) Betty Burres and her father Edgar.
(b) Jane Burres and her nephew Fred.
(c) Martha Burres and her son Tom.
(d) Jan Burres and her boyfriend Bob.
4. Why does Krakauer devote Chapter 9 to the story of Everett Ruess?
(a) Krakauer sees great similarities between Ruess and Chris.
(b) Krakauer wants to demonstrate mental illness in Ruess.
(c) Krakauer wants to show how different Ruess is from Chris.
(d) Karkauer wants to expand the scope of his thesis.
5. In October of 1990, National Park Ranger, what did Bud Walsh discover?
(a) Chris's old yellow Datsun that had been abandoned.
(b) Evidence of a camp in a restricted area.
(c) A backpack with $123 stuffed inside it.
(d) A rifle that had been buried.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who had carved a passage from the creek up to the dry gulch?
2. What does Ruess's biographer, Ken Sleight, believe happened to Ruess?
3. What human contact did Chris have as he hikeed West from Lake Mead?
4. What is Krakauer's obvious purpose of including the information in Chapter 9?
5. What steps did Walt and Billie take to find Chris?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)