|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, The Stikine Ice Cap.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Krakauer devote Chapter 9 to the story of Everett Ruess?
(a) Krakauer wants to demonstrate mental illness in Ruess.
(b) Krakauer wants to show how different Ruess is from Chris.
(c) Karkauer wants to expand the scope of his thesis.
(d) Krakauer sees great similarities between Ruess and Chris.
2. How did Walt and Billie McCandless learn in Chapter 4 where their son might be?
(a) One of Chris's high school friends got a call from Chris.
(b) Jan Burres called them.
(c) They saw him on a newscast on TV.
(d) They received a ticket issued to their son for hitchhiking near Eureka, California.
3. What group of Irish aesthetics does Krakauer include in Chapter 9?
(a) St Patrick monks.
(b) The Celtic travelers.
(c) The papar.
(d) The highlanders.
4. What type of people did Ruess like to spend time with?
(a) Native Americans and Russians.
(b) Hikers and rafters.
(c) Photographers and painters.
(d) Vagabonds and drifters.
5. What news seriously alarmed Jan Burres?
(a) That Alex was wanted by the Nevada police.
(b) That Alex might be a serial killer.
(c) That Alex had burned the last of his money when he abandoned his car.
(d) That Alex never intended to see any of his family again.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Chris's canoe trip eventually take him after going as far as he could down the Colorado River?
2. What does Ruess's biographer, Ken Sleight, believe happened to Ruess?
3. When Krakauer was at the mountain he came to climb, what enhanced his emotions?
4. Why did Chris write in his journal that hiking around Lake Meade was a mistake?
5. In regards to family, how do Ruess and Chris compare?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)