|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, The Stikine Ice Cap.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After a semester at UCLA and a winter in San Francisco, what did Ruess do?
(a) Keeping a journal that was published after his death.
(b) Looking for someone to join his nature walks.
(c) Spent the rest of his days backpacking and sleeping on the ground.
(d) Studying photography.
2. Who gave Krakauer dinner and a place to sleep in Petersberg?
(a) A policeman offered him a jail cell.
(b) The captain of a tuna fishing boat.
(c) A kind woman named Kai Sandburn.
(d) A drifter named Jan Buress.
3. What does Ruess's biographer, Ken Sleight, believe happened to Ruess?
(a) Ruess changed his name and disappeared.
(b) Falling from a cliff.
(c) Accidental drowning.
(d) A robbery and murder.
4. When Krakauer was at the mountain he came to climb, what enhanced his emotions?
(a) The beauty of the snowy terrain and clear sky was intensified for him by his solitude.
(b) The cheers of the people who came to see him off.
(c) The clean air which gave him an oxygen high.
(d) Two sturdy aluminum curtain rods with him, lashed in a cross shape, to prevent him from falling into a crevasse.
5. What is Davis Gulch?
(a) An extension of the Grand Canyon.
(b) A watery oasis in the midst of southern Utah.
(c) A cattle passage through western Utah.
(d) A valley that has only one way in and out.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Krakauer devote Chapter 9 to the story of Everett Ruess?
2. What human contact did Chris have as he hikeed West from Lake Mead?
3. Who had carved a passage from the creek up to the dry gulch?
4. In regards to family, how do Ruess and Chris compare?
5. What similar classic books are favorites of Ruess and Chris?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)