|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, The Stikine Ice Cap.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Krakauer relate his own experiences in Chapter 14?
(a) To show how he was so much better than Chris.
(b) To show his affinity with Chris.
(c) To see if he is any different now as a mature man.
(d) To prove that he had no right to write about Chris.
2. What type of people did Ruess like to spend time with?
(a) Native Americans and Russians.
(b) Vagabonds and drifters.
(c) Photographers and painters.
(d) Hikers and rafters.
3. What did Chris and Ruess each do shortly before their deaths?
(a) Write out a will.
(b) Post several letters.
(c) Dig their graves.
(d) Burn their money.
4. What did Krakauer do similar to what Chris did when he needed to go to the village of Petersberg?
(a) He sent postcards to friends.
(b) He burned his money.
(c) He bought a big bag of rice.
(d) He abandoned his car.
5. When Krakauer was at the mountain he came to climb, what enhanced his emotions?
(a) The clean air which gave him an oxygen high.
(b) Two sturdy aluminum curtain rods with him, lashed in a cross shape, to prevent him from falling into a crevasse.
(c) The cheers of the people who came to see him off.
(d) The beauty of the snowy terrain and clear sky was intensified for him by his solitude.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Krakauer devote Chapter 9 to the story of Everett Ruess?
2. What daunting challenge did Krakauer set for himself as a young man?
3. In October of 1990, National Park Ranger, what did Bud Walsh discover?
4. What group of Irish aesthetics does Krakauer include in Chapter 9?
5. What steps did Walt and Billie take to find Chris?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)