|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, The Stikine Ice Cap.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Krakauer reached an impassable place on the mountain, what did he do?
(a) He started traveling horizontally on the mountain.
(b) He sat down and cried.
(c) There was nothing to do but descend.
(d) He radioed for help.
2. Why did Chris write in his journal that hiking around Lake Meade was a mistake?
(a) He had not been in a town where he could buy new boots.
(b) The heat was so intense that he became delirious.
(c) It was much larger than he anticipated.
(d) There were no people anywhere around the lake.
3. What does Ruess's biographer, Ken Sleight, believe happened to Ruess?
(a) Accidental drowning.
(b) Ruess changed his name and disappeared.
(c) A robbery and murder.
(d) Falling from a cliff.
4. What steps did Walt and Billie take to find Chris?
(a) They took a trip to Eureka, California.
(b) They went on TV begging Chris to come home.
(c) They hired a private investigator.
(d) They got the police to put out an APB on Chris.
5. Who gave Krakauer dinner and a place to sleep in Petersberg?
(a) A drifter named Jan Buress.
(b) A kind woman named Kai Sandburn.
(c) The captain of a tuna fishing boat.
(d) A policeman offered him a jail cell.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of people did Ruess like to spend time with?
2. What did Krakauer do similar to what Chris did when he needed to go to the village of Petersberg?
3. After a semester at UCLA and a winter in San Francisco, what did Ruess do?
4. What did Chris and Ruess each do shortly before their deaths?
5. What did Chris realize after he decided to abandon his once beloved Datsun?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)