|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, The Stikine Ice Cap.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Chris's canoe trip eventually take him after going as far as he could down the Colorado River?
(a) He ended up staying with a Mexican family for six weeks.
(b) He headed South and ended up in Acapulco.
(c) He retraced his way back upstream.
(d) Some duck hunters agreed to drive him to the Gulf of California.
2. What did Chris realize after he decided to abandon his once beloved Datsun?
(a) That he needed better hiking shoes since he was now walking.
(b) That he was free from material possessions that tie him down.
(c) That it would be impossible to continue without a car.
(d) That he missed his family and wanted to go home.
3. What similar classic books are favorites of Ruess and Chris?
(a) Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea and Moby Dick.
(b) Call of the Wild and Around the World in Eighty Days.
(c) Look Homeward Angel and Lassie Come Home.
(d) Great Expectations and Gone With the Wind.
4. What did Chris do after Westerberg was jailed?
(a) He kept himself hidden because the police might have been looking for him.
(b) He stayed with Westerberg's family until he got out.
(c) He headed north to Alaska.
(d) He hitchhiked to Needles, California, then walked through the desert to Topock, Arizona.
5. In regards to family, how do Ruess and Chris compare?
(a) They both were alienated from their families.
(b) Ruess and Chris both missed their families as they traveled.
(c) Ruess seemed to be on good relations with his family unlike Chris.
(d) Like Chris, Ruess felt his family supported his travels.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news seriously alarmed Jan Burres?
2. After a semester at UCLA and a winter in San Francisco, what did Ruess do?
3. Still calling himself by another name, Chris met two drifters who befriend him. Who were they?
4. What did Krakauer do similar to what Chris did when he needed to go to the village of Petersberg?
5. What type of people did Ruess like to spend time with?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)