|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, The Stikine Ice Cap.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What daunting challenge did Krakauer set for himself as a young man?
(a) To prove that he is always right.
(b) To scale a mountain called the Devils Thumb alone.
(c) To find out how much terror he can stand.
(d) To ski down Mt. McKinley.
2. When Krakauer reached an impassable place on the mountain, what did he do?
(a) He sat down and cried.
(b) There was nothing to do but descend.
(c) He started traveling horizontally on the mountain.
(d) He radioed for help.
3. Still calling himself by another name, Chris met two drifters who befriend him. Who were they?
(a) Betty Burres and her father Edgar.
(b) Jan Burres and her boyfriend Bob.
(c) Martha Burres and her son Tom.
(d) Jane Burres and her nephew Fred.
4. Who gave Krakauer dinner and a place to sleep in Petersberg?
(a) A drifter named Jan Buress.
(b) A policeman offered him a jail cell.
(c) The captain of a tuna fishing boat.
(d) A kind woman named Kai Sandburn.
5. In regards to family, how do Ruess and Chris compare?
(a) Ruess and Chris both missed their families as they traveled.
(b) Like Chris, Ruess felt his family supported his travels.
(c) Ruess seemed to be on good relations with his family unlike Chris.
(d) They both were alienated from their families.
Short Answer Questions
1. What alias did Ruess carve on the walls of the canyon?
2. How did Walt and Billie McCandless learn in Chapter 4 where their son might be?
3. Why did Chris adopt the name Alex Burres?
4. What news seriously alarmed Jan Burres?
5. What type of people did Ruess like to spend time with?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)