|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, The Stikine Ice Cap.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of people did Ruess like to spend time with?
(a) Photographers and painters.
(b) Hikers and rafters.
(c) Vagabonds and drifters.
(d) Native Americans and Russians.
2. Who had carved a passage from the creek up to the dry gulch?
(b) American Indians.
(c) Mormon cattlemen.
(d) Railroad explorers.
3. What does Ruess's biographer, Ken Sleight, believe happened to Ruess?
(a) Accidental drowning.
(b) A robbery and murder.
(c) Falling from a cliff.
(d) Ruess changed his name and disappeared.
4. What human contact did Chris have as he hikeed West from Lake Mead?
(a) Men working on an oil drilling rig.
(b) A few vagabonds and some law officers.
(c) A troop of Boy Scouts.
(d) People in a small village.
5. What did Chris and Ruess each do shortly before their deaths?
(a) Burn their money.
(b) Write out a will.
(c) Post several letters.
(d) Dig their graves.
Short Answer Questions
1. After a semester at UCLA and a winter in San Francisco, what did Ruess do?
2. What alias did Ruess carve on the walls of the canyon?
3. What daunting challenge did Krakauer set for himself as a young man?
4. What did Krakauer do similar to what Chris did when he needed to go to the village of Petersberg?
5. How did Walt and Billie McCandless learn in Chapter 4 where their son might be?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)