|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, The Stikine Ice Cap.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Krakauer devote Chapter 9 to the story of Everett Ruess?
(a) Karkauer wants to expand the scope of his thesis.
(b) Krakauer wants to show how different Ruess is from Chris.
(c) Krakauer wants to demonstrate mental illness in Ruess.
(d) Krakauer sees great similarities between Ruess and Chris.
2. How did Walt and Billie McCandless learn in Chapter 4 where their son might be?
(a) They received a ticket issued to their son for hitchhiking near Eureka, California.
(b) They saw him on a newscast on TV.
(c) Jan Burres called them.
(d) One of Chris's high school friends got a call from Chris.
3. Who had carved a passage from the creek up to the dry gulch?
(a) Mormon cattlemen.
(b) American Indians.
(d) Railroad explorers.
4. What similar classic books are favorites of Ruess and Chris?
(a) Look Homeward Angel and Lassie Come Home.
(b) Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea and Moby Dick.
(c) Call of the Wild and Around the World in Eighty Days.
(d) Great Expectations and Gone With the Wind.
5. What type of people did Ruess like to spend time with?
(a) Native Americans and Russians.
(b) Vagabonds and drifters.
(c) Photographers and painters.
(d) Hikers and rafters.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Davis Gulch?
2. When Krakauer was at the mountain he came to climb, what enhanced his emotions?
3. What did Chris realize after he decided to abandon his once beloved Datsun?
4. Why did Christ steal a bicycle in Northern California?
5. In regards to family, how do Ruess and Chris compare?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)