|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, The Stikine Ice Cap.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Krakauer relate his own experiences in Chapter 14?
(a) To see if he is any different now as a mature man.
(b) To prove that he had no right to write about Chris.
(c) To show his affinity with Chris.
(d) To show how he was so much better than Chris.
2. What similar classic books are favorites of Ruess and Chris?
(a) Call of the Wild and Around the World in Eighty Days.
(b) Look Homeward Angel and Lassie Come Home.
(c) Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea and Moby Dick.
(d) Great Expectations and Gone With the Wind.
3. When Krakauer reached an impassable place on the mountain, what did he do?
(a) He sat down and cried.
(b) There was nothing to do but descend.
(c) He radioed for help.
(d) He started traveling horizontally on the mountain.
4. What did Chris and Ruess each do shortly before their deaths?
(a) Post several letters.
(b) Write out a will.
(c) Dig their graves.
(d) Burn their money.
5. In regards to family, how do Ruess and Chris compare?
(a) Ruess seemed to be on good relations with his family unlike Chris.
(b) Ruess and Chris both missed their families as they traveled.
(c) They both were alienated from their families.
(d) Like Chris, Ruess felt his family supported his travels.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Christ steal a bicycle in Northern California?
2. What did Chris realize after he decided to abandon his once beloved Datsun?
3. What group of Irish aesthetics does Krakauer include in Chapter 9?
4. What is Davis Gulch?
5. What steps did Walt and Billie take to find Chris?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)