|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, The Stikine Ice Cap.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Chris write in his journal that hiking around Lake Meade was a mistake?
(a) It was much larger than he anticipated.
(b) There were no people anywhere around the lake.
(c) He had not been in a town where he could buy new boots.
(d) The heat was so intense that he became delirious.
2. What human contact did Chris have as he hikeed West from Lake Mead?
(a) A troop of Boy Scouts.
(b) People in a small village.
(c) Men working on an oil drilling rig.
(d) A few vagabonds and some law officers.
3. When Krakauer was at the mountain he came to climb, what enhanced his emotions?
(a) The beauty of the snowy terrain and clear sky was intensified for him by his solitude.
(b) The clean air which gave him an oxygen high.
(c) Two sturdy aluminum curtain rods with him, lashed in a cross shape, to prevent him from falling into a crevasse.
(d) The cheers of the people who came to see him off.
4. What steps did Walt and Billie take to find Chris?
(a) They hired a private investigator.
(b) They took a trip to Eureka, California.
(c) They got the police to put out an APB on Chris.
(d) They went on TV begging Chris to come home.
5. What is Davis Gulch?
(a) A valley that has only one way in and out.
(b) An extension of the Grand Canyon.
(c) A cattle passage through western Utah.
(d) A watery oasis in the midst of southern Utah.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Chris adopt the name Alex Burres?
2. After a semester at UCLA and a winter in San Francisco, what did Ruess do?
3. In October of 1990, National Park Ranger, what did Bud Walsh discover?
4. In regards to family, how do Ruess and Chris compare?
5. What did Chris and Ruess each do shortly before their deaths?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)