|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Glazar talked about four phases of a year spent in Treblinka, including the few months before the uprising which occurred in what year?
2. During Glazar's conversations with the author, what color is the "lovely" glass jar on the shelf with the Treblinka earth in the bottom?
3. According to the author, what was the name of the Bishop in Rome who assisted Stangl with his papers and escape?
4. Who suggested buckets for women in the tube for defecation?
5. The "tube" is the "___" to the gas chambers that had to be cleaned up from defecation at Treblinka.
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the author how did Stangl change when he had to talk about "intolerable" details of events?
2. Why was Stangl's wife shocked by Father Mario's response to her talk about her husband under confessional?
3. How did the author describe Richard Glazar and his family when she visited his home in 1972?
4. How did Stangl describe his arrival at Treblinka?
5. How did Zabecki's wife deal with the cruelty of the human transports and escalating murders?
6. Who was the boy Edek?
7. Who was Dr Dollmann?
8. How did Stangl respond upon the author's return in June and who did the author bring with her this time?
9. From the Treblinka Camp diagram and Legend what were the main camp divisions?
10. How did Rome figure in Stangl's escape to another country?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sereny observed that Stangl found working at the death camps emotionally and psychologically straining and unpleasant. Using details from the biography, provide several pages supporting this observation.
Essay Topic 2
What efforts did Stangl and others take to minimize the horror of the death camps for the victims as well as the camp workers? Be sure to include the false railway station in your responses. How effective were those efforts (support with details as described in the biography)?
Essay Topic 3
As Stangl described the killings and daily operations at the camps he oversaw, Sereny pointed out that she noticed the emergence of two Stangl identities. At several points in the biography Sereny observed that Stangl was one person when he was doing normal things and then another person when performing his "duties." Explain this dual personality as detailed in the book and then provide specific examples of each personality as observed or documented in the book.
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)